Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Prop2 arrives today - but it won't work — Parallax Forums

Prop2 arrives today - but it won't work

cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
edited 2013-06-15 15:29 in Propeller 2
When doing our presentation on the Prop2 on Saturday afternoon, Beau noticed something that wasn't right as he zoomed into the synthesized logic layout. It turns out that some poly density fill we added to the blank standard cells was conflicting with actual circuitry. We didn't realize that the 'fill' cells were sometimes placed in non-integral positions, overlapping onto adjacent circuitry. So, these chip's coming in today are not going to work. We will only be able to do a power-up test on the I/O ports, which doesn't tell us much. We must resubmit the design database without the fill patterns and get this fabricated again on the next shuttle run. So, it will be another 8 weeks, or so, before we might have functional Prop2 chips.

Beau said when he saw that poly conflict, he got a really sick feeling, hoping it was maybe just a mistake in the database he was displaying. I remember his mood changing during the presentation, but didn't know what to make of it. He verified afterwards that it was, indeed, a problem. It didn't occur to either of us that there would have been anything to see there, as that block was delivered to us already checked. Our attempt to meet minimum poly density requirements backfired, unfortunately.

Comments

• David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2013-05-06 11:01
    cgracey wrote: »
    When doing our presentation on the Prop2 on Saturday afternoon, Beau noticed something that wasn't right as he zoomed into the synthesized logic layout. It turns out that some poly density fill we added to the blank standard cells was conflicting with actual circuitry. We didn't realize that the 'fill' cells were sometimes placed in non-integral positions, overlapping onto adjacent circuitry. So, these chip's coming in today are not going to work. We will only be able to do a power-up test on the I/O ports, which doesn't tell us much. We must resubmit the design database without the fill patterns and get this fabricated again on the next shuttle run. So, it will be another 8 weeks, or so, before we might have functional Prop2 chips.

Beau said when he saw that poly conflict, he got a really sick feeling, hoping it was maybe just a mistake in the database he was displaying. I remember his mood changing during the presentation, but didn't know what to make of it. He verified afterwards that it was, indeed, a problem. It didn't occur to either of us that there would have been anything to see there, as that block was delivered to us already checked. Our attempt to meet minimum poly density requirements backfired, unfortunately.
    I'm sorry to hear this. I guess we'll be working with the FPGA boards a bit longer. It will give us time to prepare a more complete software offering from when the real chips *do* arrive!
  • Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2013-05-06 11:09
    Chip,

Sorry to hear that - but like David says, we have the FPGA versions to work with meanwhile :-)
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,860
    edited 2013-05-06 11:16
    Very sorry to hear this, I'm sure it's painful. I was actually thinking during your presentation that I'd be afraid of looking too close and seeing something wrong...

I know how I feel when I order a bunch of circuit boards and find something wrong. This is about 100X costlier...
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,253
    edited 2013-05-06 11:21
    Hard news guys. I too saw Beau sort of shut down a little. Man! Hard poker face time having to just contain that realization until there is time to investigate.

Well, we have the FPGA and lots of work to do. Docs, libraries, examples, learning, etc...

Thanks for telling us the current state of things. It is really appreciated.
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2013-05-06 11:24
    Sorry to hear this Chip, but on the bright side, I'm now so glad this is 180nm tech ;)
    Plus like David says, we'll have a little more time to get our software ready for the big day!
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2013-05-06 11:27
    That's okay, Chip.

But a request for all of our customers. Let's not use this as an opportunity to encourage additional design improvements to Fozzy Bear. These changes could open up more synthesis, I/O frame changes and lots of expense. The cost of design changes and running chips is so much more than the $60,000 shuttle runs mentioned on Saturday - it includes synthesis consultants, salaries, administrative costs, quick-turn packaging, mask sets, etc. Even small changes could take six months or a year and have mounting costs quickly heading to a half-million USD. For this reason many chip companies favor small iterations and improvements to their design. Each one provides a new product and an opportunity to sell all over again to the same customers.

USB support, Ethernet, really advanced graphics controls are examples of things I hope not to see encouraged at this time. All we want to do is get these metal layers straight and go back to the foundry.
    edited 2013-05-06 11:32
    Ken,

*I* for one do not intend to ask for any hardware features (ie changes to P2)

I am pushing for software-only USB & Ethernet that does not require any changes to the P2 - and I only push for that so that P2 will have a better chance for success :)
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2013-05-06 11:37
    Chip and Beau, sorry things didn't work out. Yes Ken, functional first silicon is top priority.
    edited 2013-05-06 11:37
    Ken,

*I* for one do not intend to ask for any hardware features (ie changes to P2)

I am pushing for software-only USB & Ethernet that does not require any changes to the P2 - and I only push for that so that P2 will have a better chance for success :)

Then we could certainly use this time to make software drivers.

I've been reading your other messages and would be happy to support some work in this area, but must keep a close watch on financials due to the additional expenses we're about to face. Whatever volunteer efforts could be accomplished will quickly bring your mug shot to the Parallax Hall of Fame.
  • ColeyColey Posts: 1,108
    edited 2013-05-06 11:38
    @Chip and Ken

That's unfortunate but part of life I suppose.

As Baggers said we should look on this as an opportunity to get the software ready for the release, there is a lot to do!
    And Ken, you are right we should actively discourage any changes, it will only add to delays and increase costs.

Onwards and upwards!
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2013-05-06 11:43
    Coley wrote: »
    ...And Ken, you are right we should actively discourage any changes, it will only add to delays and increase costs.

We don't need a moving target at this point. We just need to get working what we've already started.
    edited 2013-05-06 12:09
    Hi Ken,

Thanks, I'll talk with wifey... however starting Wednesday, I am going to be tied up for the next 2-3 weeks with something urgent (non-prop).

Preliminary calculations show that we may need to wait for P2 before 10Mbps Ethernet can fit into a cog. It may be barely possible in two cogs on a DE2-115, but it would be very tricky.

A 160Mhz P2 will have 16 clock cycles to handle each bit, which should be more than sufficient.

Low speed USB (1.5mbps) should not be a problem even on the 60Mhz fpga's; 12mbps may need to wait for real silicon as only 5 clocks would be available per bit on the fpga.

The low hanging fruit to tackle is low speed, maybe with HID (for keyboard and mouse support) and serial drivers (even though low speed serial is against spec, it seems to work for the AVR guys)

Hmm... but this is the wrong thread to discuss this.
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    Then we could certainly use this time to make software drivers.

I've been reading your other messages and would be happy to support some work in this area, but must keep a close watch on financials due to the additional expenses we're about to face. Whatever volunteer efforts could be accomplished will quickly bring your mug shot to the Parallax Hall of Fame.
  • CircuitsoftCircuitsoft Posts: 1,166
    edited 2013-05-06 12:11
    Any chance the problem area will only damage one cog? Might the chips be partially functional?

Also, just curious, what's the cost of the design change just to fix this poly problem?
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2013-05-06 12:16
    Stuff happens. I know that sick feeling all too well and can certainly sympathize. What works for me is to erase the memory of what could've, should've been and to acknowledge that the new starting point is today, not last week.

Hang in there, guys! This, too, shall pass. :)

-Phil
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2013-05-06 12:33
    Chip, Ken and Beau,

My heart goes out to you. I know that horrible sinking feeling. But hey, we have a two month delay, after all this time it's not such a big deal. (yeah I know it's expensive, but a delay at the end is much the same as a delay at the start and such things happen.).

Anyone following your developments would know that now is not a good time to be suggesting any changes and enhancements.
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2013-05-06 12:40
    I'm thinking this must be a good thing that the error was caught prior to testing the new chips. I wonder how much time would have been spent tracking it down if Beau had not spotted the problem on Saturday.
    edited 2013-05-06 12:40
    By the way, you guys are amazing, if not unique, in being so open and straight about what is going on. We all appreciate that out here.
    edited 2013-05-06 12:43
    I watched Beau zooming in and out of the chip design during the conference.
    It's like zooming into a city on Google maps and checking out the houses.
    I'm totally amazed he could see the problem from those images.
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,144
    edited 2013-05-06 13:02
    It turns out that some poly density fill we added to the blank standard cells was conflicting with actual circuitry. We didn't realize that the 'fill' cells were sometimes placed in non-integral positions, overlapping onto adjacent circuitry.

I'm puzzled how this actually happens ? - My PCB software has a DRC for such clearance errors, and surely poly density fills are only allowed into 'space left over' ? Does this mean someone else pays for the layers that need fixing ?
    Even worse, if there is no (reliable) DRC, what else maybe lurking as a failure ?
    edited 2013-05-06 13:08
    jmg wrote: »
    I'm puzzled how this actually happens ? - My PCB software has a DRC for such clearance errors, and surely poly density fills are only allowed into 'space left over' ? Does this mean someone else pays for the layers that need fixing ?
    Even worse, if there is no (reliable) DRC, what else maybe lurking as a failure ?

Chip or Beau will have to answer this, but I'll give you the layman interpretation. The P2 was designed in two different software environments. Beau designed the outter frame, I/Os, A/D in his tool and the internal guts of the processor were synthesized in another tool. Both tools are very expensive and they don't play too well together. There are export/import formats that can get our design into their synthesis tool but with limited overall system checks. For me, I take comfort seeing what's being done by our developers in the DE2-115 FPGAs and knowing that the entire P1 was designed manually, like the P2 I/Os.

We pay for the layers that need fixing. When you submit a design to a foundry, the customer takes all responsibility for failed process checks. It's like they're just making a cake with ingredients you specify, or printing a PDF from your artwork.
  • rjo__rjo__ Posts: 2,114
    edited 2013-05-06 13:09
    Ken,

I have checked with my experts and it appears that the female socket for the Prop2 board is not available on EBay.

They are available elsewhere... for free:) But I hate to ask for samples because I'm not an engineer and I really have no plans
    to buy hundreds of parts.

Any chance I can pay you guys to put a few in a bag? Or better yet... let's have Jeff(oldbit) do it:)

Rich
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,144
    edited 2013-05-06 15:43
    Both tools are very expensive and they don't play too well together. There are export/import formats that can get our design into their synthesis tool but with limited overall system checks.

That's a scary sounding blind spot, that really needs a firm fix.

If you can export the poly-fill as a separate layer, then some of the better Gerber tools can do layer-layer clearance checks, purely on geometry (ie they do not expect any data-intelligence)

Another approach is to force the poly-fill to lowest-priority, but that is more complex and involves multi-photo imaging.
  • 4x5n4x5n Posts: 745
    edited 2013-05-06 16:27
    That's okay, Chip.

But a request for all of our customers. Let's not use this as an opportunity to encourage additional design improvements to Fozzy Bear. These changes could open up more synthesis, I/O frame changes and lots of expense. The cost of design changes and running chips is so much more than the $60,000 shuttle runs mentioned on Saturday - it includes synthesis consultants, salaries, administrative costs, quick-turn packaging, mask sets, etc. Even small changes could take six months or a year and have mounting costs quickly heading to a half-million USD. For this reason many chip companies favor small iterations and improvements to their design. Each one provides a new product and an opportunity to sell all over again to the same customers.

USB support, Ethernet, really advanced graphics controls are examples of things I hope not to see encouraged at this time. All we want to do is get these metal layers straight and go back to the foundry.

Oh man!! Here I was ready with only 40-50 needed changes I was going to be demanding!!! :-)
    edited 2013-05-06 16:31
    4x5n wrote: »
    Oh man!! Here I was ready with only 40-50 needed changes I was going to be demanding!!! :-)

Now you'll become part of the Muppet Show! Better change your avatar to Kermit the Frog.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2013-05-06 16:42
    Ken,

I'm having so much fun with the new Project Board that is has taken my mind off the P2, (Except for all the excitement on hearing Chip talk about it this weekend.)

Carry one Gracys. Your doin' good.
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2013-05-06 16:55
    Sorry to hear this. Although I am fairly new to the Prop 1, I have been following the progress on the Prop 2 for a while. I'm thinking that by the time it gets released I should just be getting the hang of the Prop 1!!! Keep at it guys, better to find it now than after they have been released to the public!
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2013-05-06 17:16
    Is it possible to obtain the little add-on board for the FPGA? It looks like it is time to start playing with that version while we wait.

Jeff
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2013-05-06 17:25
    Is it possible to obtain the little add-on board for the FPGA? It looks like it is time to start playing with that version while we wait.

Jeff

Which one would you like, DE0-Nano or DE2-115?
  • 4x5n4x5n Posts: 745
    edited 2013-05-06 17:27
    Now you'll become part of the Muppet Show! Better change your avatar to Kermit the Frog.

Just for that I won't tell you what any of my great ideas are!!!
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2013-05-06 17:28
    Which on would you like, DE0-Nano or DE2-115?

I doubt I could convince Altera to give Propellerpowered academic prices, so I'd better order I just ordered the DE0-Nano. :)

Thanks Chip

Jeff