Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Prop2 emulator add-on board when added, I can no longer see Prop2 — Parallax Forums

Prop2 emulator add-on board when added, I can no longer see Prop2

BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
edited 2013-03-27 23:43 in Propeller 2
Hi All,
I am lucky enough to now be amongst the lucky bunch, who have a DE0 and a DE2, and my add-on boards arrived this morning ;)

I was all ready to rock and roll, but PNut doesn't seem to be able to find the Prop2 when I add the add-on boards, yet it does find both when they are minus the boards.

Is there any dip switches/jumpers I'm supposed to set/add in adding the boards?

Has anyone else had this issue? or is it just me?

Cheers,
Jim.

Comments

• potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,254
    edited 2013-03-25 10:08
    See com port instructions in the monitor document in my blog. Needs to be com 9 or less towork
  • ColeyColey Posts: 1,108
    edited 2013-03-25 10:16
    Have you read the instructions..... ;-)
    Propeller II Pinouts forTerasic DE0-Nano and DE2-115
    Propeller II Emulation Add-On Boards
    ------------------------------------

DE0-Nano provides 1 cog at 60MHz with 32KB of hub RAM.

DE2-115 provides 5 cogs at 60MHz with a full 128KB of hub RAM.

For DE0-Nano, jumper pin 3 to pin 5 on the 2 x 13 header to
        establish the video PLL loop:

(view from bottom of DE0-Nano)
            +-----------------------------------+
            | O   o o o o o o o o o o o o o   O |
            |     o o o o o o o o o o o=o o     |
            |                                   |

Hope that helps.

Coley
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2013-03-25 10:27
    You'll need to load the Terasic board with the latest configuration file that was within the zip file that had the text file shown in the previous post.
  • AribaAriba Posts: 2,682
    edited 2013-03-25 10:28
    Hello Baggers

You need another FPGA configuration file with the AddOn board. And you need to pull out the Flash chip if you want use the ROM monitor.
    The confuguration file is here.

BTW. Welcome back, good to have you here.

Andy
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2013-03-25 12:12
    Just to update you all, I've got the DE2 working, but DE0 still doesn't want to be seen :(
    So for now, I'll play on DE2 :D
    It's certainly is good to be back! :)

Oh, and res, I had read the instructions and had the jumper in place, on the DE0, but still no joy! will try again later, but for now, I'm gonna have some fun with the DE2 :)
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,898
    edited 2013-03-25 12:56
    I had trouble at first too... Had to remove 8-pin DIP SPI flash chip and add the jumper to make it work...
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2013-03-25 15:07
    Welcome back baggers. Nice to see you in the P2emu club ;)

I have not tried the addon board to my DE0 yet. Been too busy with my single cog LMM debugger.
    edited 2013-03-25 17:06
    Thanks for the link Andy :D it got the DE2 working, but not the DE0, I'll try that again tomorrow, maybe it didn't program or something, who knows.
    Rayman I've removed the 8-pin DIP SPI flash chip, and added the jumper, still to no avail as of yet.
    Cheers Cluso, what a great club it is! loving it so far, and it's my first day.

I've only had a little play with it this evening, but what I can say, is this is a corker of a chip :D loving it already, looking forward to seeing what this one can do! and this is only 3-8ths, or less, the speed of the real thing, and 2 cogs down too! :D happy times ahead for us all me thinks!
    edited 2013-03-25 18:07
    I guess the only other thing on DE0 is make sure you have the Prop Plug in the right way and give it enough power.
    BTW: I actually use the USB port on the DE0 to provide power, even in Prop mode...
    edited 2013-03-25 18:55
    baggers: IIRC the new DE2 fpga code is only 5 cogs now (video took up more fpga space).

Rayman: Yes, I power my DE0 from my Propplug (USB). Not using the expansion board yet.
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2013-03-25 21:21
    Cluso99 wrote: »
    baggers: IIRC the new DE2 fpga code is only 5 cogs now (video took up more fpga space).

Rayman: Yes, I power my DE0 from my Propplug (USB). Not using the expansion board yet.
    Yes, that is correct. I banged my head against the wall for a day before Chip pointed out that it is mentioned in the first few sentences of his pinout.txt document that describes the DE2 emulation. :-)
    edited 2013-03-26 10:23
    The DE0 worked on it's own without the expansion port, so do I use that powered, and remove power from the USB, or power from the USB?
    And when using the expansion, I use the new Propplug port. is that right?
  • ctwardellctwardell Posts: 1,716
    edited 2013-03-26 10:31
    Baggers wrote: »
    The DE0 worked on it's own without the expansion port, so do I use that powered, and remove power from the USB, or power from the USB?
    And when using the expansion, I use the new Propplug port. is that right?

I use mine with power from USB and the Prop Plug on the port of the add-on.

Don't forget to at least initially remove the eeprom from the add-on board and add the jumper to pins 3 & 5 of the DE0, both of which are mentioned above.

C.W.
    edited 2013-03-26 12:31
    Thanks for all the tips guys, but still no joy, is there a switch for program/run mode on the DE0 board? I'm guessing it's taken care automatically through using the JTAG mode in the programmer.
    I have the PropPlug on port 6 now, running happily on the DE2.
    But still no joy with the DE0.
    It programs 100% complete, for the jic file, but when doing F10 on PNut, it's no hardware found on ports. :(
  • Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2013-03-26 12:39
    First - welcome back, can't wait to see what you will do with the new texture mapping :-)

Second - the PropPlug is oriented reverse compared to the DE2 on the Nano... could you have it backwards?

(On the Nano the beanie sticker should be facing away from the breadboard, towards the edge of the PCB)
    Thanks for all the tips guys, but still no joy, is there a switch for program/run mode on the DE0 board? I'm guessing it's taken care automatically through using the JTAG mode in the programmer.
    It programs 100% complete, for the jic file, but when doing F10 on PNut, it's no hardware found on ports. :(
    edited 2013-03-26 12:40
    Can you get into monitor mode with or without it being plug into the DAC PCB?
    edited 2013-03-26 12:44
    Baggers, running out of ideas... Maybe DE0 is plugged into Chip's board the wrong way?
    There's an arrow saying "USB" that should point to the DE0 USB port...

Also, make sure you have Chip's fpga code and not Sapieha's
    edited 2013-03-26 13:17
    A question for Chip.

Is the latest firware still set up for the same pins for the prop plug?

I just programmed my DE0 with the latest configuration here and I can no longer get into monitor mode?
    If I load in the older configuration file I can get into monitor mode just fine.

Regards,

Coley
  • SapiehaSapieha Posts: 2,964
    edited 2013-03-26 14:09
    Hi Baggers.

Maybe that can help You. FLASH need be removed/reprogramed for Monitor to work

Software http://forums.parallax.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=99776&d=1362774139

And look on Picture for how it need be mounted

1024 x 768 - 99K
    edited 2013-03-26 14:54
    Coley wrote: »
    A question for Chip.

Is the latest firware still set up for the same pins for the prop plug?

I just programmed my DE0 with the latest configuration here and I can no longer get into monitor mode?
    If I load in the older configuration file I can get into monitor mode just fine.

Regards,

Coley

The latest firmware is for the DE0-Nano Prop2 add-on board we made. Its pins are in different places than the original raw DE0-Nano configuration, where the PropPlug went straight into the DE0-Nano header. If anyone needs a DE0-Nano Prop2 add-on board, just email me your shipping address and phone number.
    edited 2013-03-26 15:23
    Thanks for the help guys, and yes, the SPI flash is removed, and reprogrammed as the monitor is working :D
    PNut still isn't recognising it though :(
    edited 2013-03-26 15:31
    Thanks for the help guys, and yes, the SPI flash is removed, and reprogrammed as the monitor is working :D
    PNut still isn't recognising it though :(

Can you post of a picture of your setup?

Could your terminal program be hogging the COM port?
    edited 2013-03-26 15:50
    Try using the Prop Tool Identify to see what com port it's on...
    I think it has to be a number <10 to work (?)...
    edited 2013-03-26 16:04
    Thanks Chip, I thought the pins would be re-mapped.
    I have an add-on board due tomorrow care of Baggers so I will test it with that.
    cgracey wrote: »
    The latest firmware is for the DE0-Nano Prop2 add-on board we made. Its pins are in different places than the original raw DE0-Nano configuration, where the PropPlug went straight into the DE0-Nano header. If anyone needs a DE0-Nano Prop2 add-on board, just email me your shipping address and phone number.
    edited 2013-03-26 16:06
    baggers:

Is the DE0 working without the expansion board ??? Below is what I currently do...

I am not using the DE0 expansion board, just the plain DE0 and the older fpga code (see the first post of the sticky thread).

I seem to recall having issues that pnut.exe F10 could not find the prop2 so I resorted to this proceedure...
    • Plug the DE0 into the PC via propplug (which powers my DE0)
    • My Propplug is set to COM8
    • Load PropTool (P1 version)
    • Press F7 to locate my DE0 P2
    • Press F12 to load PST (otherwise PST does not find the DE0 Prop)
    • Press <enter> and DE0 responds === Propeller II Monitor === or something similar
    • Exit PropTool
    • Run pnut.exe
    • Load my pasm source into pnut
    • Press F10 to compile and download
    • Select PST and Enable
    • everything should work fine
    • Now I can select pnut and edit my program, compile with F10, select PST, press <enter> to enable PST, and watch for the response (note the ROM Monitor does not output anything until you press <space> for it to autobaud.
    Now, just to verify that I really did have a problem with pnut.exe finding my DE0, I just tried this again. pnut FOUND my DE0.
    Now I am unsure if this was really a problem or it was just because of PST.

Maybe you should try this method just in case.

If you want a simple program to just output to the serial port (propplug), get my first program from the P2SerialDebugger thread.
    edited 2013-03-26 16:26
    Chip, here's the setup.

DE0-setup.jpg

It's COM6 I'm using PST to get the monitor up, that works fine.
    I just can't talk to it through PNut.

Another question or two, :D slightly off topic, just playing with the DE2, and was wondering if TV/VGA out is only on cog0? as it doesn't seem to work on cog1
    Assuming this to be the case, that it's only on cog0, is the pixel render only on cog0 also?

Cheers,
    Jim.
    1024 x 768 - 104K
  • Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2013-03-26 16:47
    Since you can talk to the monitor, I am guessing the problem is somewhere in the path between the RESET pin of the PropPlug, and the DE0 pin it is connected to.

Check for a cold solder joint on the reset pin of the propplug connector.

Also make sure the propplug you are using will reset a Prop1
  • AribaAriba Posts: 2,682
    edited 2013-03-26 16:49
    If the monitor works, but not programming per PNUT then it may be a problem with the reset line. I would check the Reset signal from the PropPlug and the wire from the PropPlug connector to the DE0-Nano.

Andy

Edit: Bill was a bit faster... but only a bit.
    edited 2013-03-26 17:17
    Doh, pic is upside down lol

Cluso99,
    Yes, it was working unexpanded, until i updated it with the expansion board firmware, so it could use the new propplug pins etc and have the dacs working, but it doesn't talk to prop through PNut but works fine with PST through the built in monitor.
    edited 2013-03-26 17:20
    It can't be the prop plug, as it works fine with DE2, it also worked fine before with DE0, until it swapped over to the new firmware, and new prop pins layout.