Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
NTSC 8bpp Greyscale (256 levels) - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

NTSC 8bpp Greyscale (256 levels)

2»

Comments

• Martin HodgeMartin Hodge Posts: 1,246
    edited 2013-03-17 13:45
    Tubular wrote: »
    Sorry, I didn't actually test it on a DE0 at the time.

Here's a fixed up version that has been tested on a DE0 successfully. I've just repeated every scan line twice (halves the hub ram buffer to 24kB) but used an offset of 1 pixel so the diagonal is still as sharp as you'd get with 256x192 buffer if you had the full ram, if that makes sense?

Oh, okay. I'd naturally thought it was something I had done wrong. I'll try this one too.

Tried it, works perfectly.
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,805
    edited 2013-03-18 10:11
    Works for me too...

BTW: Maybe I'm OK with RP2 on P0..P3 after all... Did a quick test on this program by adding in two lines to toggle P0 and it seems to work, without affecting the video:
    '
    ' Field loop
    '
    field           mov x,#34   'top blanks
                    call #blank

or dira,#1   'RJA
                    xor pina,#1

• TubularTubular Posts: 4,620
    edited 2013-03-18 16:03
    Rayman wrote: »
    Works for me too...

BTW: Maybe I'm OK with RP2 on P0..P3 after all... Did a quick test on this program by adding in two lines to toggle P0 and it seems to work, without affecting the video:
    '
    ' Field loop
    '
    field           mov x,#34   'top blanks
                    call #blank

or dira,#1   'RJA
                    xor pina,#1

I was about to reply to your earlier message to say, I think you'd be fine, because I think the DACs are somewhat "internal" and probably can't be directed to pins anyway until we get silicon

Today's job is to try hooking up the DE2 to the real world, about 26 i/o, so I'll soon know for sure if there are issues. It's the same connector pinout so I should be able to try it on the DE0 too
  • ColeyColey Posts: 1,108
    edited 2013-03-29 14:58
    Hi Tubular,

I notice some issues when I used your driver to display a bitmap, there are some variances between tv lines.
    To check this out I modified the bitmap generation section of your code to draw a white vertical line 16 pixels wide down the middle of the screen.

'****GC MODS****
            setptra    hubbuf            'move pointer to start of screen buffer in hub ram
            mov    y,#linestot        'get total number of lines to display, depends on available memory

bufwr        reps     #120, #1        'first 127 pixels / exactly one line
             nop                'spare
             wrbyte    255, ptra++        'write one pixel and move ptra onto next one

reps     #16, #1            'next 2 pixels / exactly one line
             wrbyte    0, ptra++        'write one pixel and move ptra onto next one

reps     #120, #1        'last 127 pixels / exactly one line
             wrbyte    255, ptra++        'write one pixel and move ptra onto next one

djnz    y,#bufwr        'loop to fill buffer
    '****GC MODS****

This result in this effect....
    ZigZagStripe.jpg

Can you help?

Incidentally, your driver for the DE2 does not have the same effect, that is fine.

Regards,

Coley
    1024 x 768 - 44K
    edited 2013-03-29 15:13
    Hi Coley

I did the DE2 version first and got that working. Then I did a DE0 version but didn't test it, and it had some errors.

The DE0 doesn't have enough ram so what I did is make the bitmap 256*96 (24kB) rather than 256*192 (48kB) on the DE2. Then when displaying I just repeat each line (so back to 256*192 at display time), but with a 1 pixel x offset, so it looks the same as the test pattern on the DE2.

It only works because of the diagonal test pattern I made, if you load your own test pattern you probably want to remove that line of code that adds 1 to the offset every second line.

Chip was going to look at whether the DE0 version could have bit more ram. It would be nice if it could make it to ~52kB (allowing a 48kB screen buffer)

cheers
    tubular
    edited 2013-03-29 16:54
    Hi Tubular,

I see why you did that now...

I changed the code as you suggested, from this.....
    line            call    #hsync                  'do horizontal sync                waitvid v_bo,#0                 'black left border
                    test    y,#1 wz                 'even line?
            if_nz   subptra #257                    'repeat previous line
            if_z    addptra #1      
                    waitvid mode,#$80               '64*9 clocks per waitvid
                    setspa  #$80
                    call    #render                 'do waitvid and render 1st 64 pixels

to this....
    line            call    #hsync                  'do horizontal sync                waitvid v_bo,#0                 'black left border
                    test    y,#1 wz                 'even line?
            if_nz   subptra #256                    'repeat previous line  
                    setspa  #$80

and that resulted in this ;-)

ChipOnChip.jpg

Many thanks,

Coley

Tubular wrote: »
    Hi Coley

I did the DE2 version first and got that working. Then I did a DE0 version but didn't test it, and it had some errors.

The DE0 doesn't have enough ram so what I did is make the bitmap 256*96 (24kB) rather than 256*192 (48kB) on the DE2. Then when displaying I just repeat each line (so back to 256*192 at display time), but with a 1 pixel x offset, so it looks the same as the test pattern on the DE2.

It only works because of the diagonal test pattern I made, if you load your own test pattern you probably want to remove that line of code that adds 1 to the offset every second line.

Chip was going to look at whether the DE0 version could have bit more ram. It would be nice if it could make it to ~52kB (allowing a 48kB screen buffer)

cheers
    tubular
    640 x 480 - 42K
    edited 2013-03-29 17:14
    Nice work Coley! Looks like you UK guys are steaming ahead... keep 'em coming !
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,253
    edited 2013-03-29 18:06
    Excellent work!
    edited 2013-03-30 03:23
    Thanks fellas, next I'm going to convert this driver for PAL.

I'm as excited for P2 as the first time I saw P1, Baggers even more so lol

Exciting times lay ahead!!!

Coley
  • SapiehaSapieha Posts: 2,964
    edited 2013-03-30 03:27
    Hi Cloey.

Thanks for that info
    Coley wrote: »
    Thanks fellas, next I'm going to convert this driver for PAL.

I'm as excited for P2 as the first time I saw P1, Baggers even more so lol

Exciting times lay ahead!!!

Coley
    edited 2013-03-30 06:34
    Hi Sapieha,

Give this a try, I'm not 100% happy with it but it's a good start.

P2_PAL_252x96_8bit_Greyscale_DE0.spin

There is no bitmap generation routine in this drive it merely displays a buffer starting at $2000 resolution is fixed at 256x96

I'm using putty and the monitor to download my images to the DE0 from a text file prepared in the correct format.
    The I download this program with PNut.

An example image file is here... vader.txt

Regards,

Coley
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2013-04-01 10:56
    There's an efficient way to repeat every 3rd line, too:
    line            call    #hsync                  'do horizontal sync
                    waitvid v_bo,#0                 'black left border
                    incmod  ycnt,#2 wc              '3rd line?
            if_nc   subptra #256                    'repeat previous line  
                    setspa  #$80

When INCMOD executes, if ycnt=2 then it is set to 0 and C=1, else ycnt++ and C=0.