Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Building the ELEV 8 quad copter — Parallax Forums

Building the ELEV 8 quad copter

MakerDinoMakerDino Posts: 19
edited 2013-06-10 08:35 in Robotics
Hi all. I'm on part two of my ELEV 8 build on Hack A Week. I realized that I had not posted the first video here so here's links to both of them:

Building the ELEV 8 Part 1: http://youtu.be/GKGULf6ocI8

Building the ELEV 8 part 2: http://youtu.be/n0FokBp08yc

I'll be shooting part 3 after I acquire a radio and receiver. That video will be all about programming the ESCs, final wiring of the battery and some in flight video!

Comments

• mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2013-02-25 04:45
    Thanks, Dino! I need to watch these maybe they'll be THE THING to help me FINALLY build my ELEV-8!!!
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2013-02-25 07:57
    Dean,

Both your links are to part 1. (You don't expect me to be able to find part 2 on my own do you?)

I'll add this thread to my list of ELEV-8 link in post #10 of my index.
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2013-02-25 09:25
    Part2 - I found it Dino's list of videos.

Part #1 was very good. It helps to see someone go through it.
  • doggiedocdoggiedoc Posts: 2,239
    edited 2013-02-25 09:27
    Thanks for posting Dino. I'll look forward to watching them after work! I hope to get an ELEV-8 before too long.

Paul
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2013-02-25 14:47
    Now that Jessica has completed her ELEV-8 I have no excuses for not getting mine done. So this week is ELEV-8 build week for me as well. The more resources the merrier!
  • MakerDinoMakerDino Posts: 19
    edited 2013-02-26 18:13
    OOPS! Fixed that. :)
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    Dean,

Both your links are to part 1. (You don't expect me to be able to find part 2 on my own do you?)

I'll add this thread to my list of ELEV-8 link in post #10 of my index.
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2013-02-26 19:30
    Now that Jessica has completed her ELEV-8 I have no excuses for not getting mine done. So this week is ELEV-8 build week for me as well. The more resources the merrier!
    I had no trouble building mine. I also had no trouble crashing and breaking it. :-(
    I have it reassembled now and am waiting for better weather to try it out again. I think I've identified why it crashed the first time so I'm hoping for a more successful flight on the next try!
  • RambomanRamboman Posts: 101
    edited 2013-02-26 22:39
    Not quad... hexa for security...
    Same "HoverFly Open", same motors, same controlers, but an hexa chassis grom HK
    Heavy 4s LiFe pack
    Almost ready to fly ;)
    edited 2013-02-27 07:56
    David Betz wrote: »
    I had no trouble building mine. I also had no trouble crashing and breaking it. :-(
    I have it reassembled now and am waiting for better weather to try it out again. I think I've identified why it crashed the first time so I'm hoping for a more successful flight on the next try!

David,

I am sure I will crash mine many times before I get the hang of it. I crashed my R/C planes many times before I got used to them. It's all part of learning something new.
    edited 2013-04-01 17:58
    Part 3 is up!
    http://youtu.be/IbquBpk7iZ8

I had one crash in which I broke a prop. I hit the wood fence in my back yard... took out a prop and a landing gear. I have a crash kit so no worries. I need to get it out to a large open space and get a feel for it. Fun stuff and a great aerial video platform. I already have a job offer to shoot some video of a forest fly through. :) Thanks Parallax!!!

I suppose this project could be marked COMPLETE now.
    edited 2013-04-01 19:55
    You can mark a thread complete by editing the first message using the advanced editor to change the prefix. Congrats on finishing your project!
  • RickInTexasRickInTexas Posts: 124
    edited 2013-04-03 16:23
    NICE videos! High res, clear and concise explanations.

What is the the total $ for RTF setup?
  • Jimmy LiebJimmy Lieb Posts: 46
    edited 2013-04-08 19:00
    Hmm... I've been wanting to get one of these, but I'm afraid that it would sit around for quite some time before it actually got full assembled. This thread is not helping!
    edited 2013-04-17 04:39
    I've noticed that the landing gear is a weak point in the design. I've easily broken two pieces so I came up with this solution.

They're made from large nylon wire ties from the electrical section of the hardware store. I replaced the out board screw with a #6 x 32 screw and nut. Simply cut to length, drill a 1/8" hole in each end and install! They work great and absorb the shock of a hard landing.

elev 8 landing gear mod 001.jpg
    elev 8 landing gear mod 002.jpg

Here's a short on board video showing a landing, a touch and go and a pretty hard crash landing. My flying skills are improving but I have been through three props so far. :)

[video=youtube_share;47DZ6ZK70h4]
  • Nick ErnstNick Ernst Posts: 138
    edited 2013-04-18 08:29
    The landing gear were in fact a weak point, and we have since made changes and are now making them out of HDPE, vice Delrin. When you have a hard landing with the new landing gear, they will bend instead of break like the old ones did. Once you pick your quad up after that hard crash, with the landing gears bent, you simply bend them back, and you're off and flying again.
  • TellisTellis Posts: 2
    edited 2013-06-10 08:35
    I have to give large kudos to you! Watching your videos really helped me quite a bit. this is an image from one of my first flights. Two broken props so far, but I'm not deterred!
    MaidenFlight_ELEV-8.jpg
    1024 x 1820 - 164K