Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Specifics about some items in the Kit? — Parallax Forums

Specifics about some items in the Kit?

rwgast_logicdesignrwgast_logicdesign Posts: 1,464
edited 2013-02-01 17:29 in Announcements
Ok so the micromedic kit is great and comes with a huge assortment of useful items, and I want to thank Parallax and TARTC for this wonderful kit, and opportunity your giving us, and what a huge opportunity it appears to be after listening to First Spin last night.

The only problem with the kit is there are some non parallax items in there, and there lacking any documentation or off site links for documentation. My biggest issue is the Siemens Urinalysis, I have plans to use these. The issue is they just come in a bag, theres no info on them at all. I know how to Google and find my own info but giving us the actual product name would be very helpful. Not only do I need to know what information they will give me but how to read them, and how to use them, just dip the whole strip in urine? From what I can tell these may be Siemens MULITISTIX with ID bands? A full product name or link to the products site would be greatly appreciated, there is only 5 and I don't want to waste them.

Next thing is the Spo2 sensor. Now I know there examples for these and documentation but I have a question about them. They look like band aid adhesive and say there disposable so is the idea here to implant the actual sensor in are own encasement if we need to read Spo2 more than one time? And secondly the back of the backage has 4 different pictures, the one checked says > 30kg (66 lbs), does this mean this sensor will only work on someone who ways 66lbs and up?

Comments

• Invent-O-DocInvent-O-Doc Posts: 768
    edited 2013-01-31 08:10
    Good questions.

There is a reference chart that is on the bottle that holds the urinalysis strips that show, for each indicator box, what colors each indicator can turn and what it means. For example, the there is a white box that turns pink to red depending on the amount of protein in the urine. I've asked the great parallax folks to post an image of the color key.

The SpO2 sensor is generic - not sure why they put that caveat unless they market a pediatric specific one. I do think we have or will post a simple SpO2 implementation with op amp. You would have to correlate it with a real one.

The kit was intended as an idea and excitement generator. Lots of good applications are coming in that don't even use the kit. We thought the kit would be especially great to inspire classroom groups.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2013-01-31 08:45
    Hello rwgast_logicdesign,

Wanted to be sure to draw your attention to the many demos that accompany the key parts in the kit http://learn.parallax.com/micromedic/kit-demos. As for documentation pertaining to some of the more obscure [i.e., non-Parallax, medical] components take a look at the lower part of this page http://learn.parallax.com/contest/micromedic-contest-inspiration-kits which provides links to the sources of each of these parts. Let us know if this is what you were looking for and if not we'll try to add more detail.
  • rwgast_logicdesignrwgast_logicdesign Posts: 1,464
    edited 2013-01-31 20:07
    Thank you very much Ken, I had seen the micromedic code examples on learn.parallax.com, but I had not seen the second link which was exactly what I was looking for. I basically just wanted to see the directions on the box of the urinalysis strips, the link was very helpful. May I suggest adding it to the kits product page, or some where a little easier to find for others.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2013-02-01 17:29
    May I suggest adding it to the kits product page, or some where a little easier to find for others.

Absolutely. I will send our web team a message and they'll give it a look on Monday.