Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Spam in the OBEX — Parallax Forums

Spam in the OBEX

Bobb FwedBobb Fwed Posts: 1,119
edited 2013-01-18 16:47 in Propeller 1
Don't know if this has been addressed before, but a few of my objects (which probably means many more of others' objects) have been spammed with comments.

Is there any way we can deleted them?

My spammed objects:
http://obex.parallax.com/objects/715/
http://obex.parallax.com/objects/543/
http://obex.parallax.com/objects/488/

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2013-01-17 09:16
    Does the OBEX even have moderators? Awhile back, I suggested that the OBEX be made part of the Forum. This would be another argument in favor of that.

-Phil
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,897
    edited 2013-01-17 09:24
    I noticed that too. Funny thing is that one user seemed to start off asking technical questions and then it turned to spam...
    Almost as if his account was hacked by a spammer...
  • Bobb FwedBobb Fwed Posts: 1,119
    edited 2013-01-17 09:28
    Mine are all anonymous, and obviously spam as they are complimenting me on my non-existent blog. Then they post a website.
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,656
    edited 2013-01-17 10:06
    There is also the thread, Somethings-is-fishy-with-all-my-objects-in-the-OBEX. Matt chimed in to say that Parallax is aware of the problem, but .... I see that one of my objects has accumulated 67 of those bogus comments, and 7 of them since Monday of this week.

Forum moderators have no powers in matters OBEX.
    edited 2013-01-17 10:21
    Oh, I thought "anonymous" was a user name...
  • TorTor Posts: 2,010
    edited 2013-01-17 11:18
    I think it's a disgrace. It's important that spammers shall not have a place to live on the net. Spam must always be removed immediately, inside the same day is barely acceptable, it should be within hours. Search engines check sites several times a day, and as soon as the spam is cached by a search engine the spammers get their payment. I've followed this Obex spam issue since it was first raised by Ahle2, and I can't for the life of me see what the problem is: Just delete the rubbish! We're now starting to count up months since it was first reported!

I moderate a forum, I have no problem single-handedly deleting and keeping off thousands of spammers by nothing more than manual intervention. I don't buy any argument besides lazyness by Parallax for why the OBEX is still polluted. I really don't. Sorry. Or is the OBEX designed as a write-only site?

-Tor
  • Clock LoopClock Loop Posts: 2,069
    edited 2013-01-17 23:34
    Sticky this!!!!!!. Log all spam you encounter in this thread.
    There is alot, I would have logged some if I found a sticky.
    edited 2013-01-18 06:42
    Perhaps the solution is to not allow anonymous comments...

Or, at least make you enter in the text from a picture, like other sites do.

It's probably an automated bot posting the spam...
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2013-01-18 09:14
    Bumping this thread to keep it high in the list.. OBEX is simply too valuable a reference for this to be overlooked.

Jeff
  • Mark_TMark_T Posts: 1,981
    edited 2013-01-18 16:05
    Yes, seconded - there's no CAPTCHA test to prevent bots posting comments - one of my objects has a score of spam comments and there's no way to flag either.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2013-01-18 16:28
    Unfortunately, the OBEX has become a dumping ground for ... whatever. Without a way to moderate it or promote active discussions within it, there's really no way to regulate either bad code or spammy comments, and it's become congested. By contrast, the quality of the forum is quite high, due in part to active moderation but, more importantly, to the self-restraint imposed by the community at large. As a consequence, I seriously believe that the forum is the proper place for OBEX code, rather than a dedicated website that can't be maintained.

-Phil
  • TinkersALotTinkersALot Posts: 535
    edited 2013-01-18 16:47
    If the idea for the Obex is as a draw for new users too (and maybe not forum users) maybe another venue like source forge, the new hip googlie equivalent, github, etc? may be a better home for the seemingly "ignored orphan child" that is obex.

And I have to apologize, but I suddenly flashed on these very happy characters when thinking of the obex.

obelix.jpg

asterix and obelix
    211 x 238 - 14K
  • Clock LoopClock Loop Posts: 2,069
    edited 2016-12-10 23:38
    2016, still the obex of spammmmm..??

http://obex.parallax.com/comment/87195#comment-87195

Just snoopin the obex lookin for I2C slave, and BAM.... SPAM.... , DAM......
  • Thanks for bringing that up. I have sent a flag to Parallax, as the forum moderators can not edit the OBEX.
  • Obex will receive an update to help control this issue.