Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Your input on the distribution of the microMedic kits — Parallax Forums

Your input on the distribution of the microMedic kits

Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
edited 2013-01-18 09:11 in Announcements
Hey all,

We have about 100 kits to distribute - these are very expensive, but they're available for free. We want to be sure that these kits are well-placed with people who would really benefit from them. At present, we have a small group of representatives from Parallax, CMU and TATRC who meet once a week to review the applications. They want to make sure the free microMedic kits are placed with those who have the highest probability of a good success.

So far we've had about ten requests and several were appropriate. Some don't apply much effort, just submitting a bare PDF with their name. We also require a 1 minute video telling us a bit about your plans (which may change as entrant desires). Some have a thought-out plan that truly meet the intent of the contest.

And there's a challenge among educational entrants - timing. We will set aside N kits for them alone. They will take longer to submit their application as they may need to meet with an instructor or professor.

The microMedic kit is not required to enter the contest, nor are the criteria biased towards the use of the kit. So it's optional.

If you were on the microMedic "free kit review team" what kinds of criteria would you feel should be reasonably applied to choose who gets a free kit, thereby enabling the highest probability of success for TATRC?

Sincerely,

Ken Gracey

P.S. I guess this is also a cry to "raise the bar" and come up with some creative entries!

Comments

• ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2013-01-16 13:47
    I would think the ideal target for Parallax generosity would be a recent combat veteran (or active duty), especially one with medical experience either as a caregiver or as a patient.
    Below that, I would list high school and college students.
    Somewhere below that I would list individuals with really good ideas, lots of time, and apparently little money.
  • frank freedmanfrank freedman Posts: 1,975
    edited 2013-01-16 15:38
    HeyKen,
    I will be submitting an application shortly (after making the video) for the kit for team AZbiomed. We really don't need the kit as such as I have come to the conclusion over the last few months of analog hacking with the prop tbat the PEK dip/breadboard method imposes the fewest restrictions. It may be another thing for you guys to consider supplying sensors and such on more of a demand basis as a way to further stretch the budget of this project across more entries. Most of the materials in the kit will not be likely used, for example the cuff will not, while a wallgreens NIBP cufc probably will be hacked into service.

Just an idea,

Frank Freedman
    Team AZbiomed
  • ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2013-01-16 17:35
    ...Most of the materials in the kit will not be likely used...

Maybe so, but from a public relations standpoint, I think the kit is a great idea. It gets the ball rolling in a way that piecemeal offerings probably wouldn't. Being offered a "kit" to solve a challenge turns on a particular part of the human brain, probably left over from the days of the ditty bag when we were hunter gatherers hunting down the local sabre-toothed tiger.
    edited 2013-01-16 17:57
    Actually, I agree with the idea of a kit to jumpstart things. Lots of goodies I would like to play with, but not all of us will need that. My suggestion was made as a supplemental method of support for some teams not having a large budget or understanding comptroller at home.

Just a thought, not a knock,

FF
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,860
    edited 2013-01-17 04:37
    I'm mainly interested in the PulseOx sensor and the XBee...
    I know I can get the XBee for low cost, but not sure about the PulseOx...
    If kits are in short supply, I'd waive it if I could get the PulseOx somewhere...
    edited 2013-01-17 06:18
    Are any of your friends biomed or otherwise hospital workers? They may be able to get you one if the hospital does not reprocess them. Just remember if it is used that you may be handling a device contaminated with potentially bio-hazardous material. But if it was not damaged on removal frol the pt finger (disposable type as in the kit) it should work still.

FF
    edited 2013-01-17 06:34
    Ok, I just looked and XBee is not part of the kit anyway and the SpO2 thing is only $10.
    So, I guess I'd be ok with letting it go to a more needing person...
  • prof_brainoprof_braino Posts: 4,313
    edited 2013-01-17 10:39
    I'd probably be able to use parts I already have have in the shop. Anything I don't already have I probably wouldn't know how to use.

I guess kits should go to the folks that are most likely to use more of the parts.
  • rwgast_logicdesignrwgast_logicdesign Posts: 1,464
    edited 2013-01-17 14:59
    Im wondering if we want to apply for free kit how soon should we do it? The reason I ask is becuase I talked to a military buddy and we came up with the idea of a device to keep you hydrated, He told me that people are always getting dehydrated, so I have a few ideas on how one may make an auto hydration system, or at least something reminding you to drink. But in order to submit a one minute video id have to do some hefty research to figure out how to go about the medical side, like testing for dehydration. I really stand behind this idea I think it could benefit alot of serviceman in training exercises, and over seas. Even at its simplest im surprised they dont have to carry a beeper reminding them to take a drink
  • Invent-O-DocInvent-O-Doc Posts: 768
    edited 2013-01-17 17:42
    @rwgast - Apply as soon as you can make a coherent video. You can always refine the idea later. Auto-hydration system sounds high on military relevance list!
  • rwgast_logicdesignrwgast_logicdesign Posts: 1,464
    edited 2013-01-17 23:45
    Ok Doc I gotta say some of the costs in extra materials and sensors are going to add up. Without the kit we wont be able to afford this project, so when we shoot are video tommorow I dont want to give anyone a reason to deny us. Since July is a ways off weve talked about going a little extra when the main project is sailing smooth. We were thinking this if its possible adding a system to filter urine and sweat to a drinkable state may be a bit of a life saver to someone stranded for days in the middle east. Unfourtantely urine is probably more feasible than sweat, would mentioning this cause heads to roll, maybe over moral or hygene reasons?

I also wanted to share this idea with the public as i dont have any idea how one would test it so we wont be doing it.

A causilty assesment device. basicaly a sensor pod on a uniform which would wirelessly transmit data to a head medic tablet. So if a medic has 25 people hurt he can determine who needs attention in what order. If a guys bleeding out he needs to be first compared to a guy with a broken limb in shock. Alot of this could be done via temp readings. It may be crude but the medic will have a better data set to determine who to look at first. Im giving this one out becuase i belive it could save lofes so if you can figure out how to test a bunch of wounded people go for it!
  • TorTor Posts: 2,010
    edited 2013-01-18 01:11
    ,or at least something reminding you to drink.
    Dehydration can be more complicated than not drinking enough.. I've got dehydrated that way, but I have also got dehydrated not because I didn't drink enough, but because there wasn't enough salt in my food intake (in hot, humid weather). Which I didn't realize until later. (And on that other occasion it was the other way around: Lots of salt, too little water, in hot, dry weather).

-Tor
  • prof_brainoprof_braino Posts: 4,313
    edited 2013-01-18 08:48
    .. a device to keep you hydrated... a beeper reminding them to take a drink

This is a great idea, everybody that exercises could use this. Time interval, water supply level, body temp, ambient temp... I wonder to directly measure the hydration level of a person in motion?
    edited 2013-01-18 09:11
    maybe a smart canteen... Add in a pedometer, temperature and humidity sensor and it tells you when to drink...