edited 2013-01-22 14:10 in Announcements
Anybody want to start setting up teams?

Who wants to participate?

Comments

• ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2013-01-15 13:05

Is this the scene in the movie where Phil Pilgrim walks in with his Prop-based Thermal Imager and, with Invent-O-Doc's help, a field-capable body-scanning blood flow gizmo is born?

And if not, why not?

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/142228-Propeller-based-Thermal-Imager

attachment.php?attachmentid=95347&d=1346870385
  • Invent-O-DocInvent-O-Doc Posts: 768
    edited 2013-01-15 16:13
    I see the evil scientist in you!
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2013-01-15 16:54
    I see the evil scientist in you!

We prefer the term "mad scientist", thank you! :lol:
  • frank freedmanfrank freedman Posts: 1,975
    edited 2013-01-15 17:24
    Actually team AZBiomed is being assembled as we sp..... uhm, type. Not sure how much of the kit will be applied if we get one, but many of the sensors for sure. We will be designing for on the ground / harsh environment use........

• jonesjones Posts: 281
    edited 2013-01-15 17:25
    Is this the scene in the movie where Phil Pilgrim walks in with his Prop-based Thermal Imager and, with Invent-O-Doc's help, a field-capable body-scanning blood flow gizmo is born?

And if not, why not?

Why not indeed? I built mounts for thermal imaging cameras that were installed in a military hospital in Afghanistan as part of a research study. Apparently wounded troops have a real problem with compartment syndrome, where insufficient blood flow in extremities can cause enough damage that they end up losing the limb. As I understood the situation, the wounded are stabilized in-country then transported to more sophisticated facilities, particularly in Germany. If they don't pick up the problem before transport, by the time they get to Germany the damage is done. Maybe there is a place for a simpler imaging system that could be used in remote aid stations (or whatever the military calls such things these days). The military was interested enough to fund the other study, though I don't know if it's been published yet.

And no secrets are being let out of the bag here, CNN ran a segment on it.
    edited 2013-01-15 18:09
    The infrared imager is an awesome idea.

Full disclosure - I run the medical simulation activity at tatrc which is sponsoring the contest. I CAN give advice on the forum but won't be part of any single entry.

Even if something has been done as a commercial product, it might still be very valuable for the contest because you might show how to do some of this stuff on the cheap and school the defense department in the process. We really wanted this contest to be by the people and for the people.
  • ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2013-01-15 19:15
    This is an immense challenge. You've got to get knowledgeable biology/medical people to communicate with hardware people. Then hardware and biology people have to communicate with (ut-oh) software people. You're talking about some heavy duty cultural gaps here. And then among the bio-types, you probably should have some people who've got some real-world experience, not just textbook knowledge. So now you're talking about EMTs, nurses, ER people, medics, etc. Meanwhile I suppose you've got to step over legal landmines so as not to tripwire any patent attorneys, etc.

Anyway, I'm just thinking out loud: how about an intelligent tourniquet? Don't know if the injury is bad enough to justify a tourniquet but afraid you might bleed to death if you don't use one? Some way to strap a thingy on yourself that makes that decision for you?

A number of diagnostic devices: laser pointer makes patterns on the ceiling, patient's eyes must follow the pattern or you know they've got a brain problem, etc. Hearing testers.

Years ago, I was struck at how sensitive these baby monitors are: http://www.amazon.com/Angelcare-Movement-Sound-Monitor-Deluxe/dp/B002ZB82CU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358305904&sr=8-1&keywords=angelcare++monitor Just some food for thought.

I'm guessing the real power of a microMedic would come in its ability to cross-correlate different sensor data, not just trying to make a diagnosis based on a single sensor. For example, maybe a body temp of X along with a heart rate of Y, plus some audible gurgling in the intestinal area, plus blah blah blah, adds up to possible such and such. And linking to data analysis centers staged elsewhere via satellite or NVIS antennae, etc. might go a long way.
  • prof_brainoprof_braino Posts: 4,313
    edited 2013-01-16 07:16
    I was thinking that a good use of teams would be a way for inter team collaboration.
    Winning the grand prize is cool, but only one can do that; making something useful is cooler, and more likely if we help each other.

As in post #8, the first biggest challenge is proper communication. We have to establish what we are trying to do before we can ask for it, and expect to get it.

I can help with this. I can also review stuff. I will remain external to any team, unless they specifically want to include me. I just check requirements and review stuff.

If your stuff has to be secret, PM me and I'll review stuff for you privately.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2013-01-16 07:23
    The infrared imager is an awesome idea.

Full disclosure - I run the medical simulation activity at tatrc which is sponsoring the contest. I CAN give advice on the forum but won't be part of any single entry.

Even if something has been done as a commercial product, it might still be very valuable for the contest because you might show how to do some of this stuff on the cheap and school the defense department in the process. We really wanted this contest to be by the people and for the people.

This is a tremendous benefit to our forum members to have Invent-O-Doc on the forums.

I'd go as far as suggesting that this contest could open doors for people into further research, and it could be exactly the kind of award that gets the high school student into the university of their choice.
  • jdoleckijdolecki Posts: 726
    edited 2013-01-16 07:59
    Any body starting a team in the Chicago area?
    edited 2013-01-16 10:58
    jdolecki wrote: »
    Any body starting a team in the Chicago area?

I'm in Chicago
  • teganburnsteganburns Posts: 134
    edited 2013-01-16 22:30
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    This is a tremendous benefit to our forum members to have Invent-O-Doc on the forums.

I'd go as far as suggesting that this contest could open doors for people into further research, and it could be exactly the kind of award that gets the high school student into the university of their choice.

And that's exactly what I'm looking for!! Im in the bay area CA if any one would want to work as a team just pm me. I have my own mode of transportation, I'm 18, I have been working with electronics/robotics since 8th grade, and best of all i have plenty of free time. (for research, ideas, ect.)
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,547
    edited 2013-01-16 22:38
    Invent-O-Doc,

It's too bad that "Employees of Parallax Inc. are not eligible to enter the contest."

... Dang! ... seriously, Dang!

[self centered comments ON] Of course I have the one thing everyone needs that could change the world [/self centered comments OFF] :smile:
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2013-01-16 22:44
    Invent-O-Doc,
    Of course I have the one thing everyone needs that could change the world :smile:

P2? What's the status?
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,547
    edited 2013-01-16 22:48
    "P2? What's the status?" - Don't want to hijack this thread (So please people, direct any further P2 responses to an appropriate thread)... but Status is very good. Meeting with Chip tomorrow at 2pm California time.
  • chris joneschris jones Posts: 391
    edited 2013-01-17 15:22
    Hello, my name is chris joens and I would like to join in a group to work together or start a group this is a great ideal by parallax.
    edited 2013-01-18 08:44
    Hello, my name is chris joens and I would like to join in a group to work together or start a group this is a great ideal by parallax.

Hi Chris!

What do you do, what do you want to try? Do you want local folks or a cyberspace team?
  • frank freedmanfrank freedman Posts: 1,975
    edited 2013-01-18 11:30
    Team AZBiomed has been submitted. At this point it consists of myself and two AF biomeds, one of whom was in Iraq as a surg tech. As mentioned the device will be a physio-monitor, but will incorporate a few little twists in that we intend to not just monitor, but provide meaningful alarms, bring the unit cost to near disposable, and usable on any type of trauma casualty. The hardware probably won't be to hard, but the software to generate certain alarms may tax the props limits...... May end up adding a body or two as we go. Having the IODoc and other connections is kinda like the free space on the bingo card.
  • chris joneschris jones Posts: 391
    edited 2013-01-18 11:41
    Hi Chris!

What do you do, what do you want to try? Do you want local folks or a cyberspace team?

i live in Texasso i think it will be hard to develop a team here but i can do it in cyberspaceif a team would be willing to take me on. And to answer your questions.

What do you do.
    i am a lead application web developer at the Texas A&m university in commerce tx i have my associates in software engendering and my bachelors in computer information systems. i also received my masters in computer science and i am working on my doctorate in education with a research topic of artificial intelligence and robotics.
    what do you want to try?

I have always wanted to figure ot how to fuse vital signs with hospital risk bands such as blood pressure temp and other useful signs to help alert and make smart hospital facilities. For example how would you stop someone that is having high blood pressure not over exert them while in the hospital. And all of these vital signs can be seen through a portal for the hospital. And a future ideal is to make it out patient accessible as well.
    edited 2013-01-18 13:39
    This is getting exciting.... And we are still in the first week.
  • EmilyKurzeEmilyKurze Posts: 127
    edited 2013-01-22 14:10
    This is getting exciting.... And we are still in the first week.

Agreed!