Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
[SPOILER ALERT] Anniversary Mystery Bag Revealed! - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

[SPOILER ALERT] Anniversary Mystery Bag Revealed!

Comments

• localrogerlocalroger Posts: 3,451
    edited 2012-09-09 13:01
    erco wrote: »
    Yep, now that the secret's out, no one will just order a $25 BS-2!

Well the bags are made up on order, so there's no guarantee that the one they make up now for you will be the same as the ones shipped last week.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    edited 2012-09-09 14:58
    localroger wrote: »
    Well the bags are made up on order, so there's no guarantee that the one they make up now for you will be the same as the ones shipped last week.

True. Maybe they'll throw in some $7 calculators! :)
  • RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
    edited 2012-09-09 15:09
    I didn't look at the pictures in the previous posts until now. It seems like all the bags were identical. I was thinking they'd all be a little different. I guess they were trying to avoid any "I got a rock" situations. It would be good if they changed a little tomorrow because I really don't need another BS2.

edit: Lol, my 13th post (1101) :)
  • frank freedmanfrank freedman Posts: 1,975
    edited 2012-09-09 15:14
    Actually I would bet they are already made up, or at least all the contents are pulled. Imagine the inventory tracking nightmare otherwise.....
  • doggiedocdoggiedoc Posts: 2,239
    edited 2012-09-09 15:55
    Well I was putting in another order so... I got a second Mystery Bag just for giggles, even though I suspect it will be very much like the first. :D:D
  • piguy101piguy101 Posts: 248
    edited 2012-09-09 16:46
    RDL2004 wrote: »
    It would be good if they changed a little tomorrow because I really don't need another BS2.
    How could someone not need another BS2?
  • davejamesdavejames Posts: 4,045
    edited 2012-09-09 16:56
    piguy101 wrote: »
    How could someone not need another BS2?

...been asking myself the same question!
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2012-09-09 16:59
    Must learn more of this BS2 device it speaks in strange tongues, has no cogs, eats at 5 volts....very peculiar!!
    edited 2012-09-09 17:01
    Despite having sold four of them in the last year, I still have four more and will probably have five by the end of next week. Isn't one or two enough?
  • frank freedmanfrank freedman Posts: 1,975
    edited 2012-09-09 19:17
    Easy, Have three prop dip chips (have fried none yet), a C3, a quickstart, a GG usb dev board, now 2 BS2s I probably will not likely ever use. (Never say never) could rather have used some other devices, i.e. sensors etc.

Yeah, I know, get greedy, order two bags, get punished, no badge, no book.
    FF
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2012-09-09 19:23
    There was enough stuff in my mystery bag to build a single project. Definitely worth the money!
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2012-09-09 19:25
    Interesting. I ordered two, and got the S2 badge but no LEDs or CDS cells.

A great deal. Thanks Parallax.

Edit: Although I agree: the lack of crystal and EEPROM (and Propplug?) for the Propeller is a little bit awkward. Maybe it's intended to drive sales? It's a bit like inkjet printers: we'll give you the printer for free, but make our money on the ink.

Edit2: Not to sound negative. It seems like the mystery bag is designed to drive interest in programming Parallax products.

Edit3: Ok, on further inspection I did get a yellow LED and a CDS cell.
  • terrymrterrymr Posts: 19
    edited 2012-09-10 20:55
    I did get the book & badge kit with my mystery bag.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    edited 2012-09-11 04:55
    Just got mine today. What a haul. Man am I glad that Tommy & Whit shamed me into "buying" one. I would have felt left out! At just $25, that was a very kind giveaway for Parallax.

Mine did include an S2 badge kit. I got one at Expo, which the twins always fight over. Now that there are two in the house, there will be peace. Just in time for their third birthday. Phew!

Thanks Parallax!
  • piguy101piguy101 Posts: 248
    edited 2012-09-11 14:03
    I haven't gotten mine yet, but I wonder why Parallax would sell so many things at such a low price. Is it just because they're really nice, or is there a subtle marketing technique hidden beneath all of this?
    edited 2012-09-11 14:25
    To celebrate their 25th anniversary and their success, to thank their customers, and just being nice I think.
  • localrogerlocalroger Posts: 3,451
    edited 2012-09-11 15:48
    From the time I started frequenting these forums I have noticed that Parallax is an extraordinarily generous company. Just here they regularly hold little contests with prizes, offer deals and freebies on new and even upcoming products, have on several occasions outright given kits and parts to kids who couldn't afford them for a project. They also put a lot of money and labor into outreach, sending representatives to shows and maker faires and so on where they give away learn to solder kits and other swag. You will search long and hard to find another company that takes its mission to encourage and broaden the community it serves quite so seriously.
    edited 2012-09-11 16:15
    From the time I started frequenting these forums I have noticed that Parallax is an extraordinarily generous company.

Totally agree!!!

I, myself, have experienced the touch of that generosity.
    edited 2012-09-11 16:18
    I can second (third) that! I've been on the receiving end of Parallax's generosity on several occasions!
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2012-09-11 16:27
    I must say that I have also. (or my grankids have, at least!!) When Ken was giving away the scribblers, I was not even expecting one and ended up with two, one for each grand kid. They are absolutly in heaven with them and at 7 and 10 can really come up with some nifty programming in the easy to use scribbler GUI.

I would just like to say that I have NEVER seen a company where any of the owners are as involved and concerned with what their customers are doing. It seems that they actually enjoy helping out those that have helped them get to where they are. I do not in any way believe it is a marketing ploy by them. Just down right good ol generosity!!!!
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2012-09-11 17:39
    Agreed, Parallax is the best and extremely generous! They have been increcible to our robotics' club with discounts and prizes for contests.

Their kindness creates amazing customer loyalty too! Speaking for me...
    edited 2012-09-11 19:08
    Whit wrote: »
    Their kindness creates amazing customer loyalty too!

Hey piguy101 - there's your "...subtle marketing technique hidden beneath all of this."

What a concept! Be nice to your customers, and they'll keep coming back. Amazing idea!!!

:smile:
    edited 2012-09-11 19:12
    davejames wrote: »
    What a concept! Be nice to your customers, and they'll keep coming back. Amazing idea!!!

:smile:

Yea, Unlike most "sales people" who are just out for a buck and after the sale you never hear from them again until the "updated verion" comes out!!!!
  • softconsoftcon Posts: 215
    edited 2012-09-12 07:51
    Man, I was so happy with my mystery bag. I bought one, and it arrived only 2 days later (I'm in Virginia). Some of the things in the bag were things I wanted, but couldn't justify spending the funds on, not know ing if they'd work for me or not, and now I don't have to wonder anymore. :)
    Some of the things in there were things I was going to buy anyhow, so now I don't have to (thanks for that).
    And some of the things in there were things I'd never thought of buying, simply because I hadn't a clue they'd be so simple to integrate into my projects, so thanks for that too. Now I know there's a much wider range of products from parallax I *can* use, and plan to do exactly that as projects require.
    Of course, now I need to buy more stuff to make the stuff I already have work now, and work later too when I get more of them. :)
    I'm extremely happy with my mystery bag, and although I couldn't identify everything w/o sighted help, I did get most of the important things right, which makes me proud as all get out, since I knew what they were without having ever seeing one before. That means the descriptions were clear and concise enough for me to tell what the stuff was. That rocks.
    Only a few things I needed the wife to look at and identify for me, but that's ok, I'm going tohave a blast with this stuff.
    Thanks Parallax for a lot of great fun sorting, comparing, and playing guess the item before breaking down and asking. :)
    I'm definitely doing this one again if the opportunity arises.
    edited 2012-09-12 12:30
    Mine just arrived today. I received everything that the others did with the exception of the book. Probably because I was being chaep and went for FC shipping. No big deal. I am happy with what I got. (Especially since I did not get a rock!!!!!).
    edited 2012-09-12 13:31
    What is FC shipping?
    edited 2012-09-12 13:36
    First Class (mail). The books were listed as out of stock. I think that's why we didn't get them, but they probably would have been too heavy for First Class Mail if they had been in stock. They would be eligible for even lower cost Media Mail though, if shipped separately.
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2012-09-12 13:37
    RDL2004 wrote: »
    First Class (mail). The books were listed as out of stock. I think that's why we didn't get them, but they probably would have been too heavy for First Class Mail if they had been in stock. They would be eligible for even lower cost Media Mail though, if shipped separately.
    I bought the book separately a while back. I've found it quite useful.
    edited 2012-09-12 13:39
    I didn't know there was different options on the USPS. Mine came USPS and I got a book both orders. Funny part is didn't get the S2 badge on the first one, but did on the second. No worries.
  • Roger LeeRoger Lee Posts: 339
    edited 2012-09-12 13:45
    Waiting is over, mystery solved. Wow, very happy with contents.
    Great deal ( of parts )

OK, I've learned my lesson about shipping methods, USPS next time.
    Thanks guys for rubbing my nose in it. :lol: