Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
NE PROPELLERHEADS: UPENE August 25th, 2012 REGISTRATION OPEN - Page 3 — Parallax Forums

NE PROPELLERHEADS: UPENE August 25th, 2012 REGISTRATION OPEN

Comments

• ctwardellctwardell Posts: 1,716
    edited 2012-08-22 12:20
    Finally got registered today, looks like I'll finally make it this year.

C.W.
  • Monorail MikeMonorail Mike Posts: 9
    edited 2012-08-22 19:37
    Roger Lee wrote: »
    I vote to give Monorail Mike all the room he wants. What he has needs lots of space.
    Looking forward to seeing the layout.

Roger.

Thanks guys! I plan to have an area for "pilot training" where anyone can take the controls of a monorail and a fresh prototype of a new product that will be revealed at the expo. (exciting huh?)

See you on Saturday,
    Mike
  • GranzGranz Posts: 179
    edited 2012-08-23 15:51
    Granz wrote: »
    We'll see you there then. I am also booked there (for Friday only, though.)

This year will be a first! I was finally able to talk my wife into joining Peter and myself. This will be great.

Also, I posted a short entry about the UPENE in my blog - projects.granzeier.com.

Alas, I spoke too soon; the Mrs. will not be able to make it. Thus, I find myself in the enviable (sorta) position of having ordered, and paid for, an extra Expo ticket for her.

Is there anyone who would be able to attend, but does not have enough money for a ticket? :tongue: (Prefer someone who would not normally make it - maybe someone else's wife, kid or something.) If so, PM me (I'll try to check for messages tonight, just before I leave tomorrow and when I get to the motel tomorrow night) and I will either forward my wife's ticket to you or I will print it out and you can pick it up at my table on Saturday (Jeff, can we let them in to pick up the printed ticket?)
  • DiverBobDiverBob Posts: 1,097
    edited 2012-08-24 05:13
    Car is packed, getting ready to hit the road. See you all tonight! Where and when are we meeting for tonights dinner and discussions?

Bob
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2012-08-24 08:39
    Rebekah and I will be there around 7 to setup. If you are available to assist, we'd love the help.

Thanks!
    Jeff
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2012-08-24 11:33
    Jeff, I'll be there to help you setup.
    I just arrived at the EconoLodge, gonna check out the pool after a 6 hour drive.

Someone needs to organize dinner tonight...Either before or after the setup. I'd prefer after myself.

Bean
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2012-08-24 11:40
    Have fun guys and gals! I'll be there in spirit.

And, thanks always to Jeff for the hard work on putting these on.

And thanks to Parallax for the support you give him.

Maybe someday when gas is back to 25 cents a gallon. :)

Jim
    edited 2012-08-24 11:54
    Just finished the "load out check" -- Everything is in a huge pile waiting to be loaded at 6am tomorrow morning.

Can't wait to see all of you, and some of you in a few hours. :)

Jeff
    edited 2012-08-24 12:13
    Bean wrote: »
    Jeff, I'll be there to help you setup.
    I just arrived at the EconoLodge, gonna check out the pool after a 6 hour drive.

Someone needs to organize dinner tonight...Either before or after the setup. I'd prefer after myself.

Bean

I think he means setup at 7AM tomorrow....

I believe we are on our own figuring out dinner. I'm at the Best Western room 104 if anyone wants to get together just name a time and place!

Bob
    edited 2012-08-24 12:21
    Rebekah and I will be there around 7 to setup. If you are available to assist, we'd love the help.

Thanks!
    Jeff

I'll be around early to help setup also. Looking forward to seeing everyone again!

Bob
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2012-08-24 12:46
    I'm planning on leaving Medina (real close to Norwalk) around 7-ish AM tomorrow, so I should be there to help with setup around 8-8:30.
    edited 2012-08-24 13:10
    DiverBob wrote: »
    I think he means setup at 7AM tomorrow....
    Bob
    OBC, Can you clarify ?
    Other years we setup the night before, unless I am remembering wrong.

Bean
    edited 2012-08-24 13:28
    Jeff,
    We'll be there early to help setup too.
    -Mike
  • Jim FouchJim Fouch Posts: 395
    edited 2012-08-24 13:38
    Deb & I are here @ the EconoLodge RM 127. Is there a plan for a group dinner tonight? I can be reached @ 814-460-8571.

Jeff, I brought the projector and a screen if you need them.

What is the pan for setting up? Is it 7am tomorrow or sometime tonight?
    edited 2012-08-24 13:39
    I'm running about 30 minutes behind, so it looks like I'll be there around 7:30pm tonight.

Jeff
  • schillschill Posts: 741
    edited 2012-08-24 14:15
    I just realized I hadn't posted to this thread. Once again, I will not be able to make it to the expo. I missed Chicago for work and car trouble. It's sort of work again this time. I've been traveling for work every week for the last six weeks (24 different flights) and I guess I'm not ready for another trip and hotel this weekend - even if it is the expo. I have too much to do around here.

I have a big box full of freebie stuff that was all set for Chicago and after I missed that I was sure it would make Ohio. I guess next year.

I have a good time, guys.
  • blittledblittled Posts: 681
    edited 2012-08-24 14:33
    @MindRobots, You may see me in your rearview mirror if you get onto the turnpike :). I have a 3 hour trip from Meadville PA and I'm leaving 5:30-6AM so I should be there by 9.
    edited 2012-08-24 20:50
    @Steve: We'll miss you!!!

Just got back into Orrville for the night, found the two boxes we needed and packed them in the trunk.
    (Someone tell Gantz' son we all won't have to share his power cord. :):)

See you guys in the AM!

Jeff
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2012-08-24 21:01
    I am really going to miss you guys! I've attended ALL of the previous UPENE events but I have a conflict this weekend and just can't make it. The first one was absolutely unique! It captured a feeling I hadn't experienced in years. It was like the original computer club meetings back in the 80's when everything was new and felt like a meeting of close friends.

I sent some items for the freebie table that some friend from the mirobotclub are going to bring down and contribute to the table. If anyone spots the pink antistatic bag of chips that seems to appear and disappear every year let me know since that has sort of become a tradition. I will look forward to pictures of the event. You guys are awesome and I wish I could have brought some of my latest robotic creations. I spend more time working on them than promoting them. I suppose I need to fix that! I also wanted to bring down the actual Spindlebot robots that were on the cover of SERVO magazine. I guess there is always next year.

These events are very special and I'm disappointed I can't be there. Make sure to thank Jeff (Oldbitcollector) and the others that put on the show since they do a fantastic job and their efforts are appreciated!

Robert
    edited 2012-08-25 04:49
    Several of us got together after dinner at Bob Evans and had a mini geek-fest until midnight... I guess we aren't as young as we used to be, can't do an all-nighter any more and still have any resemblance to normalacy the next morning!

It's time to get in the car and make a 2 minute drive over to the Expo so I can set up my robot.

Bob
    edited 2012-08-25 11:23
    Thanks to everyone who attended my talk about surface mount soldering at this year's UPENE. As promised, here are some links with more information that will help you get started.

Eagle PCB Layout Software: http://www.cadsoftusa.com/download-eagle/?language=en
    Eagle Tutorials: http://tangentsoft.net/elec/movies/
    ViewPlot Gerber viewer: http://www.viewplot.com/info_files/viewplot.html
    Preparing boards for manufacturing: http://hackaday.com/2009/01/15/how-to-prepare-your-eagle-designs-for-manufacture/

thanks,
    Mike
    edited 2012-08-25 16:39
    Finally back in the hotel. It was a good expo.
    A little more "imtimate" than previous years, and I had expected to see someone (anyone) from parallax attend.
    Jeff (OBC) did a great job as always at running the show.

A big THANK YOU to Jim Fouch for letting me borrow something. Thank buddy.

Everyone have a safe trip back home,

Bean
  • DogPDogP Posts: 168
    edited 2012-08-25 20:27
    Thanks for putting on this show, and thanks to everyone for being so cool to hang out and chat with as usual. I had a great time as always, and saw lots of cool projects and got some great new ideas (and I'm getting psyched for the Prop 2 :) ).

DogP
  • blittledblittled Posts: 681
    edited 2012-08-26 06:15
    I had a great time too. I always look forward to meeting friends that don't give me a glazed stare when I talk about Propellers :).
    edited 2012-08-26 07:19
    Thanks to everyone who attended my talk on "Anyone can do surface mount". Here are the links to the sites I mentioned.

Eagle CAD (Free): http://www.cadsoftusa.com/download-eagle/?language=en
    Laying out your board in Eagle: http://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/109/
    How to create custom parts in Eagle: http://tangentsoft.net/elec/movies/
    Preparing for manufacturing: http://hackaday.com/2009/01/15/how-to-prepare-your-eagle-designs-for-manufacture/
    View gerber files with ViewPlot: http://www.viewplot.com/info_files/viewplot.html
    Removing surface mount chips: http://www.chipquik.com/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface-mount_technology#Packages
    For resistors, use 1206 or 0805

We had a great time and hope to see you all at next year's expo.
    -Mike
  • Roger LeeRoger Lee Posts: 339
    edited 2012-08-26 10:40
    Great time. Thanks to all who helped make it a success.
    Brought home many project items and many more ideas.

Thank you Parallax, the S2 has a new home. I will take good care of it.

@Bean, yes we stopped Sunday morning and picked up the last one. :cool:
  • Invent-O-DocInvent-O-Doc Posts: 768
    edited 2012-08-26 10:49
    Sorry to have missed the festivities this year. My wife did deliver a baby boy this weekend, however. That's a total of five. See you all next year.
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2012-08-26 11:07
    @Invent-O-Doc: Congratulations!! You made right right choice!! :0)

Big THANKS to Jeff and all his organizing helpers!! Great job!!
  • sjogansjogan Posts: 17
    edited 2012-08-26 15:27
    Had a great time. Thanks to everyone for setting it up and showing your cool ideas.
  • Jim FouchJim Fouch Posts: 395
    edited 2012-08-26 15:32
    I also had a great time. I just need to start preparing for these Expos more than ONE day in advance....lol

Nice seeing a lot of familiar faces and meeting some new people.

Glad I won the Propeller BOE. Have been looking at one of those since they cam out. :-)