Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
I'll like to take the Javelin Stamp for a play — Parallax Forums

I'll like to take the Javelin Stamp for a play

carlyncarlyn Posts: 78
edited 2012-07-02 04:56 in General Discussion
Ive programmed in Spin and picaxe basic and VB, C# and a cvouple of moths of Java. Well a couple of months in all of those but mostly VB till I found microcontrollers. The Javlin was the first chip I'd ever heard of several years ago.

Its not expensive so I feel like having a play with it. Ive not read a thing about it for years but I imagine there will be plenty of info here.

A fellow told me last week about this thing called Rasberry PI and sasid it was the death of Arduino, hes never used microcontrollers though.

You could just as easily program a PI with Java as Python, no ? Just asking because I heard python is being pushed hard for thr rasberry.

:swear: Also you could connect up sensors, RF, GPS, webcam etc to the rasberry PI yes ? I am not likley to do it, I have prop and picaxe boards and chips and lots of wires :) I swerved a bit of track here.. Imam looking forward to owning a Javelin and seeing what I can manage to do.

Comments

• jmspaggijmspaggi Posts: 629
    edited 2012-07-02 04:56
    I have about 10 javelins at home ;) They are so easy to use when you know Java. They can accept almost all the sensors and others peripheral availables at parallax. So it's easy to extend the capabilities.

Regarding the Rasberry PI, it's not well documented. I was not able to find how many input/output there is. But at the end, if it's an Linux based ARM computer, then you might be able to do with it all what you can do with your Linux based desktop or laptop. I never tried to connect one of all the sensors I have directly on m laptop for testing, but this might be doable if you have the knowledge.

For now, I think the Rasbery PI is lacking so much documentation that I will not even give it a try. But I will keep an yes on it an see how it's going...