Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Hexapod Build Log - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Hexapod Build Log

2»

Comments

• photomankcphotomankc Posts: 943
    edited 2014-09-17 08:09
    Nicely done. Cheating for using equations? Good lord. I'd be on video making humming noises and turning my bot with my hands if I was opposed to shamelessly starting from someone else's work!
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2014-09-17 09:01
    photomankc wrote: »
    Cheating for using equations? Good lord

Yeah and I've given up on smelting copper ore to make my own wire.

I think a lot of us have a desire to produce some part of a robot themselves. Erco has said real men make their own encoders. You've made beautiful aluminum wheels for your robot even though it would have probably been less time consuming to use a wheel commercially available.

So you're right, using someone else's equations isn't cheating but I had hoped I could figure out these equations myself.

The Popsicle stick robot and the figure 8 performed by this robot earlier in the thread used IK equations I derived but I'm pretty sure I had a glitch in my equations. I had trouble when I attempted to move the legs to 60 degree angles from each other.

I really like being able to use the legs at 60 intervals as this latest code allows. The legs don't get each other's way nearly as much as they did before.

I'm working on getting the robot to communicate with a remote control unit. I have one of Paul K.'s beautiful Q4 remotes.

attachment.php?attachmentid=89913&d=1329971362

The robot and the remote are communicating but I need to change my code so it can change direction on the fly.

My present code allows the robot to walk in any direction but there's not (yet) an easy way to transition from one direction to the next.
  • photomankcphotomankc Posts: 943
    edited 2014-09-17 11:34
    Duane Degn wrote: »

I think a lot of us have a desire to produce some part of a robot themselves. Erco has said real men make their own encoders. You've made beautiful aluminum wheels for your robot even though it would have probably been less time consuming to use a wheel commercially available.

Toche'.... I hear ya. Math is one area where I just have to chalk it up to needing an example. I can often understand what someone comes up with and why it's right, and maybe how to adapt it, but I'm not much good at starting from scratch and working it all out myself. I'm impressed you got as far as you did because I still glaze over a bit when IK enters the discussion.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2014-09-25 21:56
    I've started adding remote control capability to the hexapod.

I'm using a pair of XBees to send signals to the hexapod.

So far I can just control the speed of the robot (sort of) and I can control the direction the robot is traveling. Here's a video.

I switched from using some voltage regulators from Dimension Engineering to using some regulators from Electrodragon.

I'll also use the same code and remote I'm using with this small hexapod with my new "Halloween Hex".
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,250
    edited 2014-09-25 23:51
    Very impressive work, Pal!