Forum Update - Announcement about May 10th, 2018 update and your password.

Erco's Figure Eight Challenge

1161718192022»

Comments

• erco wrote:
    ...and I was reminded of one of my own forgotten bots...
    Wait a sec! I thought that was your tongue-in-cheek video of the Falcon Heavy launch. Do I need to go back and look at that again?

-Phil
    “Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery
  • Oops, sorry Phipi, I initially posted the wrong video!

Sometimes when viewing several different videos on Youtube, the URL doesn't change. I was looking at the right video, but I cut and pasted the unchanged URL, which was the Falcon launch.

Took me a few minutes to catch that mistake. A thousand apologies, nothing close to a figure 8. Although the twin booster landings was a perfect figure 11. :)

"When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don’t have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you."

- Pablo Picasso
  • WhitWhit Posts: 3,931
    edited March 28 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Kickin' it Old School today. Guess what Ms. Dollar's Robotic's Class is doing with their BoeBots! PBASIC is still so much fun.

Here is my example for the class...

Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
  • ercoerco Posts: 19,188
    Bravo, 8th Man! Nothing wrong with old school. Boebots still have lots to teach.

"When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don’t have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you."

- Pablo Picasso
  • 585 x 802 - 128K
    Carol Lynn Hazlett
    carolhaz391@gmail.com

In the birthing of any machine there is that moment when it actually works. It is always fresh and astounding for me...............Red Whittaker

PERFECT! Great job!

- Pablo Picasso
    edited June 6 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Whit wrote: »
    Kickin' it Old School today. Guess what Ms. Dollar's Robotic's Class is doing with their BoeBots! PBASIC is still so much fun.

Whit: Is that CBA robot still in your flock? I can't recall if it ever did an 8.

- Pablo Picasso
    Yes CBA is still in the flock - Can't remember either!

Right now I want to duplicate what Carol did with my S3 and LaserPING)))s in Blockly. The challenge is still fresh!
    Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
    Carol's Blockly code appears to be doing at least the Proportional portion of PID to measure the distance and adjust the wheel speed proportionally. It would be interesting to watch several consecutive orbits (LEDs and long exposures, Carol?) to see how consistent they are. When I did Spiderbot, I used a Sharp sensor as a simple go/no-go (actually seen or unseen) to decide to walk straight (seen) or spin (unseen). Not proportional at all but it worked well enough. Git 'er done!

- Pablo Picasso
  • The robot goes around the the tubes several times in the original video. Is that what you are asking? There are indicator LEDs on top of the robot
    showing what it is looking at at the time. I will make a longer one though and see if I can get a better shot of the Pings laser lighting up the tubes.
    You will notice it always leaves the area between the tubes in the opposite direction it entered, hence a reliable figure eight movement.
    Carol Lynn Hazlett
    carolhaz391@gmail.com

In the birthing of any machine there is that moment when it actually works. It is always fresh and astounding for me...............Red Whittaker

edited June 7 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Whit+

• How about this Erco?
    Carol Lynn Hazlett
    carolhaz391@gmail.com

• Carol HazlettCarol Hazlett Posts: 292
    UGH
    Carol Lynn Hazlett
    carolhaz391@gmail.com

• Carol HazlettCarol Hazlett Posts: 292
    Try something new. Need new ideas.
    Carol Lynn Hazlett
    carolhaz391@gmail.com

Good first effort. IMO your sensors should be well in front of your wheel axle so that when you rotate, you instantly change the distance. That works well for wall-followers, which is pretty much what you're doing with a cylindrical wall. A larger diameter cylinder will be easier to track, of course.

- Pablo Picasso
    My version. Still playing. Code for BloclklyProp is here - http://blockly.parallax.com/blockly/editor/blocklyc.jsp?project=47115

Whit+

• Fantastic work Whit!
    Carol Lynn Hazlett
    carolhaz391@gmail.com

@Carol Hazlett - Thanks!
    Whit+