Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Scratch Built Robot - In Progress — Parallax Forums

Scratch Built Robot - In Progress

photomankcphotomankc Posts: 943
edited 2015-03-06 13:40 in Robotics
I'm going to go ahead and start a thread. I'm begining down the road I had always wanted to travel down since I was in HS. Building a robot. A few years ago I aquired a small Harbor Frieght milling machine mainly to drill PCB boards and later it dawned on me that I could make my own parts and make it just how I wanted. Since then I got further and further wound into the world of metalworking. I now have a really basic shop setup with a much larger mill and a 10" lathe, drill press, saws, ect. I finally made it back full circle to the idea of building a robot from the long 2 year CNC conversion on my mill. Only now I wanted to build mine up from scratch making as many of the parts as is practical for me to do.

The purpose behind the robot is to be a security sentury. I plan to have it roam the house at night or while away and use several sensors (PIR, glass break, ping, video) to look for possible intruders. Depending on how far I get I can have it alarm on the bot or maybe send a page/email. Otherwise its just a platform for me to learn seveal areas of interest. Mechanics, electronics, machine automation, programming. The plan is to use a Quickstart as the main brains, and perhaps some peripheral Arduino, PIC32, ect controllers to handle the mundain sensor and movement hardware. The rough specs are (and these are really fluid at present)

Power: LiPo 11.6V 2200mah batteries for drive (Tests show 3 hrs of constant on time / *much* more if steppers are powered down when idle ). Possibly NiMH batteries for electronics or maybe a second LiPo

Stepper based drive system: I have 2 NEMA17 motors with fairly high torque. Belts will gear down drive to keep torque up for running on 3 to 4" wheels.
- Drive is implemented on a Diligent UNO32 controller that will take I2C commands and run the steppers, manage power and monitor battery voltage.

Ultrasonic Distance Sensors: To manage deciding the most open path ahead and perhaps watch for objects that are moving in patrol mode.

PIR Sensor: Periodic pauses to perform a motion detection check in patrol mode.

IR Prox Detectors: For non-contact obsticle detection.

Bump Switches: For last ditch avoidance.

Floor Feelers: So an open basement door doesn't spell an early doom.

I am currently building the drive system. The UNO32 and the Prop are communicating over I2C at 400KHz and the command system is mostly working now. As is the battery monitor that prevents over discharge of the battery by shutting down the stepper drives when it drops under 10V. Mechanical parts are starting to be made. I have made a set of pulleys for one side and will soon be making the bracket, shafts, and bearing blocks needed to test it out. The calculators I have seen suggest I have enough torque to move an 8lb robot on level ground and that should be well over the real weight.

Here's some photos of what I have so far.
_MG_1133.jpg

_MG_1137.jpg

_MG_1139.jpg

_MG_1126.jpg

Double Bearing Revision C.jpg
800 x 533 - 97K
800 x 533 - 107K
800 x 533 - 91K
800 x 533 - 91K
1024 x 771 - 51K

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,250
    edited 2011-12-08 11:20
    Great start. My only comment is on your drive system. V-belts and pulleys are very inefficient compared to gears. There are many choices available out there for premade gearmotors, might want to check those out before you get too far down the road.
  • photomankcphotomankc Posts: 943
    edited 2011-12-08 18:23
    I may well go in that direction. If it seems even feasible I can produce some timing pulleys to match on my mill for a better system. V-Belt is just easier to do than to work out how to generate the timing profile. Steppers are just because I had drives and motors sitting here on my shelf so I wanted to see what I can do with them. If they dont work out I'll be looking at just what you sugges and adapting my UNO32 to drive PWM motors.
  • TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2011-12-08 22:30
    By all means finish the V-belt system, they might be less efficient than gears,
    but they do have a shock absorbing quality that gears don't always offer,. for instance,
    When slamming full speed into an opponents machine with your diamond blade running at full speed.
    some gears might fail here, where as the well adjusted V-belt could survive the initial shock. then return to full speed.

Of course, chains and sprockets can take some shock, but still not as flexible as good old fashion rubber fan belts.

Gears have the least amount of "slop" and are necessary for any kind of repeatable accuracy, As they don't stretch..

Either way, if you are already spinning pulleys on your mill, then you might be interested in this web site.

-Tommy
    edited 2011-12-13 19:22
    The wheel axle is just about complete. Just need some set-screw holes in the wheel pulley to secure it to the little shaft. Shaft is 5/16" drill rod with a 6mm journal for the bearings. I hate turning bearing journals.....

can't get it on..... shave a bit more, can't get it on.... shave a bit more, still can't get it on... shave a bit more. Oops, slip fit, too much. Not a big deal though. Too much experimentation needed to make these press fits I need to be able to remove things. Some green LocTite should do the trick once I need them to stay put for a while.

Machined Parts: Shaft, Rear washer, Bearing Block, and Wheel Pulley
    _MG_1145.jpg

Bearings Assembled
    _MG_1152.jpg

The Complete Wheel Unit.
    _MG_1155.jpg
    800 x 533 - 85K
    800 x 533 - 76K
    800 x 533 - 84K
    edited 2011-12-13 19:30
    Machining is almost a lost art today. Kudos for doing it the old-fashioned way. I heartily support your vision and passion! Thanks for the updates & pics, you are motivating us all!
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2011-12-13 22:15
    Nice work on the first parts. Would be interested in hearing a bit about the CNC machine you're using for this project.

I'm interested in where you're going with the pulleys. It'll be a new experience for me so I'm all eyes on this one.

Ken Gracey
    edited 2011-12-14 12:57
    Thanks Ken,

The machine is a converted PM-25MV mill, very similar to the Grizzly G0704. I spent about a year and a half converting it to CNC, starting by just adapting steppers to the ACME screws so I could make the parts needed to convert to ballscrews and design them the way I wanted. It's a decent machine for a guy at home. Holds about 0.003" of programmed dimensions as a pretty reliable number all over the table. Sticking to the center of travels and careful programming with light finish passes can get better results if I have to have that. It can take rather impressive cuts in AL and steel although steel still eats my lunch at times since little things you don't think of can bite you hard. I ruin tools much easier in steel. It's still a work in progress. Converting from gears to belts for the spindle drive and making a real enclosure for the electronics instead of the wooden jury-rigged box they live in right now. The controller is EMC2 which I think is really nice considering it's totally free. The final system will be running with EMC2 and a MESA FPGA card to off-load step/dir signals from the PC to the FPGA which will allow for higher rapids. Right now it's at 150 IPM and with the MESA cards I expect to be able to get 200 IPM plus for the X/Y axis.

I really think it was a great learning experience. A Tormach PCNC 770 would have been a faster way to get up and going making stuff with very similar work envelope but I have learned an immense amount in converting the machine that I would not have to draw on were I to just buy the turn-key machine but there are obvious drawbacks too. It's always going to be a conversion so every problem is mine to deal with and it will be a long road before I have the nice stuff like integral oiling, and flood coolant.... if ever. It's just mesmerizing though to watch this thing just hum along with a rooster-tail of metal flying out behind it going about making something I just drew up become a reality and to contemplate the fact that I live in a day where something like that is possible to have in a suburban basement.

Here's a few videos of the machine in action.

Long video showing the process of making a new bearing end-cap for the machine from start to finish:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jRUjQB1Ik0

Shorter video showing me making part of my Father-In-Law's Christmas present this year. New dresser handles that he can't break off!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w-QKo6ogbg
  • DiverBobDiverBob Posts: 1,097
    edited 2011-12-14 14:03
    I can relate to your work in setting up a CNC! I converted a manual mill to CNC several years ago and it was a fun but slow project. Once I outgrew that mill I purchased a Tormach 770 because I knew I didn't want to go through that again! I just wanted to start making parts. So far I haven't been disappointed. The original CNC mill is now on the floor under a workbench, I don't see myself pulling that back out again.

Good luck! Bob
    edited 2011-12-14 17:01
    DiverBob wrote: »
    I purchased a Tormach 770 because I knew I didn't want to go through that again! I just wanted to start making parts. So far I haven't been disappointed.

Color me jealous! When I get around to turning my backyard shed into a shop, one of those just might find it's way sneaking in there.
  • tobdectobdec Posts: 267
    edited 2011-12-16 08:12
    This will be my life in about 1.5 years. As soon as my lease is up on this apartment im grabing a place with a basement. Lets just say my gf wasn't exactly....thrilled when she came home to me welding in our one bedroom apartment! Photomankc....excellant work, keep it up your motivating me now, I love seeing this sort of work. Me being the son of a tool and die maker....I feel like im slacking now!
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2011-12-16 15:22
    Your machining is beautiful. Can't wait to see the finished product - I'm sure it will be a work of art. Keep up the great work and keep posting pics!
    edited 2012-01-01 22:29
    Ok, so where have I been. Well I have been in big bearing hell! I thought it would take a few days to install all the parts for my conversion of the milling machine from gear drive to belt drive but the upper spindle bearings proved to be a major PITA to remove. In the end I had to purchase new bearings to fit the replacement parts because nothing on earth seemed able to seperate the OEM bearings from the gear shaft. Took almost all of the last two weeks to get the mill back in action and deal with the little "oh Smile I need a different size of (insert part here).

It back in business and running at 5000RPM now vs my original 3000. Much improved and much quieter. I spent today working out the bugs in my CAM file and generating the GCode needed to finish out a bracket and test my strategy. Seems like it will all work out but my holding tabs on the final cutout operation were not big enough and the part dropped out in the roughing pass so it's going to be a tad oversized. At some point I will look for a way to correct that. For now it's workable.

The idea seems to have merrit and the little motor appears to have decent torque at moderate RPMs to where it feels roughly equal force is needed to stall the stepper at motor shaft as it is at the drive wheel. That was my goal. I think it will definately benefit from a timing pulley arrangement rather than V-Belts but as I said this was much easier to get up and going to test if the motor was ever going to have hope of moving any load. I think based on the feel of it, that it will be able to haul a few lbs around without too much issue.

Now that the bugs are worked out and tooling configured, I can probably turn out another bracket in an hour or two. The manual lathe work will take much longer.

Photos of the trial fitting:
    _MG_1230.jpg
    _MG_1233.jpg
    _MG_1234.jpg
    _MG_1236.jpg

The mill with newly fitted belt drive ;)
    _MG_1225.jpg
    800 x 533 - 108K
    800 x 533 - 107K
    800 x 533 - 88K
    800 x 533 - 88K
    800 x 533 - 100K
  • DiverBobDiverBob Posts: 1,097
    edited 2012-01-02 05:44
    Nice work!

Bob
  • idbruceidbruce Posts: 6,197
    edited 2012-01-02 07:32
    Very nice work indeed. I wish I had a nice mill :(

However you would be amazed what you can do with a 10" drill press, a couple of mills, and one of these:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/5-inch-drill-press-milling-vise-94276.html.

I am looking forward to seeing the finished project.

Bruce
    edited 2012-01-02 10:27
    idbruce wrote: »
    However you would be amazed what you can do with a 10" drill press, a couple of mills, and one of these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-lb-sledge-hammer-with-fiberglass-handle-94061.html

I concur, Dr. Bruce. Simplicity is key to success!
    edited 2012-01-02 12:01
    Simplicity is key to success!

http://www.harborfreight.com/total-control-hacksaw-38075.html

I also concur with you Capt.Erco, but this is too extreme! Made an old man out of me :)
    edited 2012-01-03 07:03
    idbruce wrote: »
    Very nice work indeed. I wish I had a nice mill :(

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-inch-drill-press-milling-vise-94276.html.

I am looking forward to seeing the finished project.

Bruce

I'll leave milling on the drill press to those braver than I. My DP barely controls chatter in drilling, milling would be an unpleasant experience to be certain and the chuck would almost certainly drop from the JT arbor. I actually have a little X2 manual mill out in the garage that I have a little drill press table mounted up to. It serves quite well as a precise drill press as long as the holes are not much bigger than about 5/16" ad the work is not too tall. I despise milling on it though, the 0.0625"/turn hand-wheels are an abomination.

I am not a patient person. Without the CNC capability everything I did would be square or maybe angled.... setting up the rotary table and solving the work-holding puzzle on it was too much of a pain, avoided it wherever I could.
    edited 2012-01-03 07:15
    I am just waiting for my endeavors and HARD work to pay off, and then I will set up a very nice shop. Mill, shear, brake, lathe, hydraulic press, etc... Up to now it has been very difficult to machine all my parts, but I see a brighter sun on the horizon.

In fact, I should get a shiny new patent from the patent office today. YIPPEE :) And if not today, then possibly next Tuesday.

Anyhow, to get back on subject... I am very impressed with your metal work.

Bruce
    edited 2012-01-08 10:29
    This weekend saw the production of the right side parts completed. I took an excursion to finish off a vice-mounted fixture plate I had been wanting to make up for 2 years. Still need to make the dowel pin holes but it has already come in handy for fixturing small parts without haveing to pull my carefully shimmed, and trammed vice to do it.

I modified the wheel bearing block by not profiling the 'ears' like I did on the left side. I think the large disk being clamped to the bracket will be a better design. I'll have to make up another for the left side. After I get the shafts and pulleys finished for this side then it's not too far away from having something I can do my first testing against for weight capacity. Just a plywood board and a few screws would give me a basic start point while I begin to plan out the deck. I figure the deck will be 3/16" aluminum plate and can have a lot of cutouts to keep weight down but strength up.

_MG_1248.jpg

_MG_1249.jpg
    800 x 533 - 92K
    800 x 533 - 91K
    edited 2012-01-08 13:59
    The word WOW cannot even begin to express the beauty :)
    edited 2012-01-09 07:24
    Thanks for the kudos Bruce! I appreciate that. I'm now considering the various deck options. So far I have considered round, oval, and tear-drop but have not settled on one yet.

Didn't know if there were any super compelling reasons to go with one over the others. I am looking at the castor design too. I have a tile floor with grout lines and I'm considering added some suspension action to the castor so it isn't banging into the grout line all the time. Then again, if the wheel or ball is wide enough it should act to smooth that out anyway. I know they aren't big bumps but repeated vibration is just asking to find something important and loosen it till it falls off.
    edited 2012-02-06 08:29
    Alright, so where have I been? Lots of other stuff came up this month and I didn't get nearly as much done as I had planned to do. Finally got the work finished on the second set of shafts and pulleys. I still don't have a completed plan for the deck but it will be Aluminum. Possibly going to go with 0.125 thick about 6.5" wide and 9" long. with some angled edges. I figure the rear I will open up with cutouts make it light but still stiff. I plan to use a rear omni-wheel for the castor. This sucker is taller than I had in mind originally. It weighs in at 3.25 lbs right now with the steppers being the bulk of that.

I need to extend the wiring from the steppers to reach the top deck and get the castor attached with better than wood and double sticky tape and then I can start running it around to test out if it can handle another 3 to 4 lbs. I used fiber board just to get it mocked up but the way the drives are attached means the deck needs to provide ridgid support. Sheet or really thin plate just isn't going to cut it. Acetal is another posible but it's pricy stuff and I'm not sure if it saves a lot of weight over AL.

Sorry for the crappy cell picture but I had to take it and run to get to work this morning.
    Robot.jpg
    960 x 720 - 79K
    edited 2012-02-12 11:17
    Lordy, lordy it moves! It moves quite well actually. I can get it going up to the limits of the RPM I built into the controller so about 600 RPM. At that speed it has very little torque left though but at a cruising speed of about 200 RPM it has a plenty of umph. I added 8lbs of steel plate to the platform with largely exceeds the capacity of the crappy prototype deck and it happily hauls it around but there is belt slipping at that speed as it turns a rather obvious arc with that much weight on it.

I am considering adding two rear omni wheels rather than a castor wheel, or making the castor with some type of spring suspension. The tile grout lines make for a rough ride for the little guy. I'll try to add some video this week.
    edited 2012-02-12 16:15
    Congrats to the proud Papa! It's always rewarding seeing your creation move on its own for the first time. Def post some video when you can!
    edited 2012-02-15 09:58

There's the video. Can't see an option to embed. If you want to skip to the moving part just go to about the 6 minute mark. I'm sending this to non-robotics friends and family so I tried to explain it just a little in the beginning too.
    edited 2012-02-16 20:40
    More work done on the model. I need to give th deck some good thought. I want to make it as configurable and modular as possible. I'm thinking a 1" grid of 4-40 holes with carrier/adapter plates for those platforms that opted for.... unique spacing of components.

attachment.php?attachmentid=89642&d=1329453584
    1024 x 681 - 63K
  • TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2012-02-16 22:03
    The Omni wheel in the back is gonna be sweet!
    Casters are just another harsh reality of robot economics... I hate casters too, but what can ya do?

The deck is going to be very sturdy with all that aluminium, looks like it's good for lots of payload pounds.

-Tommy
    edited 2012-02-17 07:08
    It's actually going to have 2 Omni's. That makes a nice wide stance and stable platform and the omni's mean that those rear wheels don't need to be driven. I'll add in two rear brackets and a single bearing for each wheel. Since the platform is going to be pretty tall I think the four footed stance will be much better.
    edited 2012-02-20 06:29
    Well the notion of adjusting out the right hook in code is not going to work. The difference between the two wheel speeds is inside the the resolution I can get in frequency to drive the motors. I simply can not generate frequencies using the AccelStepper library that differ by 50 or 60 Hz once the frequency rises above 1KHz. I'm going to have to just live with it till I can go to timing pulleys or it annoys me enough to take the pulleys out and measure them with 1/4" dowel pins to better match them to each other. So the calibration effort this weekend was a big loser. The error between them is about 2.25%. I ended up using calibration to just deal with the variation from the ideal 4:1 ratio by averaging it out to about 4.17:1 so the main controller doesn't have to deal with the odd step counts.

I did add code to allow for moving in inches instead of steps so it's possible now to tell it to move roughly so many inches and that is working well. That opens the door to being able to code the more advanced arc movements since telling each wheel to move so many inches should generate a particular arc segment. I'm then going to code some short-cuts for simple ones (90L, 90R, 180L, 180R).

Should start working on the deck this week or next. I now have the ability to powder coat at home so I can add a little color to it too.
    edited 2012-02-25 22:49
    Just finished coding the spin command. Pleased with it. I can command it left or right by degrees and it will figure out how many inches to move each wheel to do it. Seems to be pretty bang-on accurate too. I have also added an auto-sleep for the stepper drivers. If no cammand is recieved prior to the next 10sec battery check the drives are disabled. The detent torque of the motors and the belt-reductions resistance don't allow for it to go rolling off on it's own even on an incline. Doing that has made it quite possible to play with it all day and still have juice to spare.

Came up with a design for the rear wheels that I don't hate. Dont love it either but it's simple and re-uses parts from the belt system to mount the rear wheels on a bearing. Version 2 I want to put more asthetic work into but this should get me rolling. I need to finsh a few final details then load up the design into my CAM software and get going making the tool paths. One of my Wife's students is interested in the mechanical side so I have invited him over so he can do some work with me on the mill. Figure he'll get a kick out of watching it carve this stuff out.

attachment.php?attachmentid=90015&d=1330238933

attachment.php?attachmentid=90016&d=1330238935

Got a little further on the model tonight:
    RobotModel2.jpg

RobotModel3.jpg
    1024 x 702 - 62K
    1024 x 695 - 66K