Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
ELEV-8 Quadcopter: ordering, design files, assembly and flight! - Page 6 — Parallax Forums

ELEV-8 Quadcopter: ordering, design files, assembly and flight!

12346»

Comments

• trangertranger Posts: 179
    edited 2013-09-05 14:12
    I just built one also and flashed the HoverflyOpen controller with the Firmware Update Client before using the setup utility. Not sure if it would help, but you can download a flight log from the Hoverfly. See pics.

HoverFlyGeneral.png
    FlightLog.png

My ESC's are set for LiPo.

Not sure exactly how this would work, but you might be able to bypass the flight controller as a test (with the quad tied down!) by hooking the ESC's directly to the receiver. I'm not sure if they will "arm" or enable correctly - maybe someone else knows...

-Russ
    693 x 630 - 74K
    693 x 630 - 61K
  • Maxx WattMaxx Watt Posts: 16
    edited 2013-09-09 05:59
    @ kenc3dan this might seem like a silly question but are your batteries fully charged? Mine starts to look like that when I'm getting low.

My question:

Now that I've been able to log some flight time (Thanks Jim C :smile:.) I've noticed the CCW motors seems to be much hotter than the CW motors, is this normal? Everything is working fine so it's not causing any performance issues that I'm aware of, I checked my harness to see if that seemed to be hot and it wasn't. It's basically just the ESC's & Motors.

My other question is just for some terminology, I noticed in the store they sell replacement props called (Pushers 4.5") and another set which is slightly longer called (Slow Flyers 4.7"), these wouldn't be used together would they? Whats the name refer to?
  • JasonDorieJasonDorie Posts: 1,930
    edited 2013-09-09 15:20
    Pusher and Puller refers to the direction of the prop. Pullers are generally mounted on the front of a plane, whereas pushers are mounted on the rear, pushing air instead of pulling it. They can also be referred to as right hand (puller) and left hand (pusher), if you're putting them on a twin-rotor plane.

Slow Flyer props have a different shape than a standard prop. The blades are wider and meant to push a lot of air while spinning relatively slowly. Typically they're only used on electric craft.
  • Maxx WattMaxx Watt Posts: 16
    edited 2014-08-26 11:57
    Hello!

It's been awhile since I've posted. Finally had time this year to break out my Quad and am experiencing some battery issues. The last time I used it was last Oct, I had discharged all my batteries thinking that was the correct thing to do before storage. So with my 3 older batteries I'm getting maybe 3min of flight time, my 1st thought was I didn't store them correctly thus I purchased 3 new batteries. Unfortunately I'm getting 3min of flight time still, I know I was getting more last year or at least I think I know I was getting more. Any ideas on what I should check for? I will be replacing 1 of the propellers due to a dent in it from a small crash last year. I'm not sure this would account for such short flying time though.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2014-08-26 12:23
    How low are you letting your batteries discharge?

If you don't already have one, make sure and get a battery meter/alarm (there are cheaper options that don't have the plastic case).

I usually don't time my flights but one I did time, I got 15 minutes before the alarm went off. I was using a 5Ah pack and I think the alarm went off when the voltage was 3.5V on a cell (though I'm not sure).

In general, it's not a good idea to let your batteries get too low and as you've learned, don't leave them in a discharged state. I've read a half way charge is best for storage.

I think one of the worst things you can do to a LiPo is to let is discharge too far.

I've had people disagree with this next point, but I think packs take a few charge discharge cycles to reach their full capacity. I might just be remembering my experience with NiMH cells, but my brain seems to think this applies to LiPo cells too.
  • JasonDorieJasonDorie Posts: 1,930
    edited 2014-09-05 12:19
    If you left the batteries in storage for nearly a year after discharging them, there's a decent chance they've been damaged. Lipo cells are best stored at about 50% charge, or roughly 3.8v / cell. If you can't do that, storing them fully charged is better than storing them empty.