Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Laser Cutter / Engraver — Parallax Forums

Laser Cutter / Engraver

IRobot2IRobot2 Posts: 164
edited 2011-12-13 06:04 in Robotics
I have seen posts about laser cutters/engravers numerous times here on the forums but I cannot seem to find any of the threads now. I was hoping someone could either point me to the past threads or pass on some knowledge as I think quite a few people on here use these on a day to day basis.
The company I work for is looking to buy a laser cutter/engraver for various tasks around the shop. We mainly want one to engrave plastic “tags” that show serial number and other information (about 1/8 or 1/16 inch plastic). However there are all sorts of other small jobs that we could use one for. I am in charge of the R&D department so my head swirls with ideas of ways to put a good laser to use. (Such as cutting out small plastic robot parts or making custom enclosures for my prop based projects ;) – etc.) However I do not know much about lasers and my research seems to just lead to more questions.

I was hoping someone could give me an idea of what I should be looking for. (ie. Brand Names, laser wattage, components or other add on options). I was given a budget of around 13-15K (could be a little more if I can provide a good reason) – and materials will probably not exceed 12 X 12 X 4 . (So I am looking for a table top solution, such as the one here : http://www.epiloglaser.com/product_line.htm )

I just want to get the most bang for my buck if you know what I mean.

Thanks for any input or discussion on this! –Alex

Comments

• W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2011-11-28 12:50
    This is going to be your best resource on Lasers;

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/forumdisplay.php?8-Engravers-Forum

When you create an account use your real first and last name (with a space between).
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2011-11-28 13:03
    You can't go wrong with Epilog. Parallax has one of their larger laser cutters. I own a Zing16 and love it. The Zing24 is probably a better choice, though, for the following reasons:

1. The work area is 24" x 12", which corresponds more closely with readily-available material dimensions than my 16" x 12".
    2. The Zing24 uses better optics than the Zing16.
    3. The Zing24 offers more power options than the Zing16.
    4. The Zing24 allows front-loading, in addition to top-loading.
    5. The Zing24 supports the optional rotary attachment; the Zing16 does not.

In addition to the laser cutter itself, you will need the aluminum cutting grid, a small air compressor for the air curtain, and an external vent fan with 4" ducting to vent the fumes outdoors.

As far as power goes, my Zing16 is an earlier 35W model. It can barely make it through 1/4" Plexiglas in one pass, but 1/8" is no problem. I've cut 1/4" wood with it, 1/8" Delrin, cork, carpeting, paper, cardboard, and Formica.

Epilog's customer support is top-notch. Frankly, I would not consider another brand -- especially any of the Chinese-made units (despite what other forum members might say about them). You want to spend your company's time cutting and engraving -- not fiddling with adjustments.

-Phil
  • IRobot2IRobot2 Posts: 164
    edited 2011-11-28 13:21
    Thanks for the quick replys W9GFO and Phil,

@Phil, Do you know anything about the Mini series from Epilog? I was leaning toward the 60 watt... just because it was largest in either the Zing or Mini series. Since I do not have a real good idea of what all I will be cutting yet, it seems wasteful to just get the biggest one. Yet I am trying to think of what I will run into in the future. Do you see any great advantages between say the 40 and 60 watt - or would my money be best spent elsewhere? (there is about a $3k difference between the two) -Alex
    edited 2011-11-28 13:24
    If you want a table top machine, do not consider a Chinese machine. They are toys. If you wanted a larger machine, like one with a 2ft x 3ft cutting area, then I would absolutely look at a Chinese machine (Shenhui). I have an 80 watt Shenui with a 36" x 55" cutting area and am awaiting another one to clear customs.

The difference is that the price is 1/10 what the largest Epilog cost (which is less than half the size) but they perform the same functions. If you were primarily going to do engraving I think the Epilog may be better since it can raster faster, and maybe higher resolution. Here's a comparison of the Aztec calendar that Epilog sends out with their info packets against one made on a large Shenhui machine. (picture below for non members of that forum)

As for support, Shenhui is very responsive. Either via Skype or email. They can't however overnight parts to you so when you order a machine it is a good idea to buy some common spare parts.

Again, if you need a table top machine, consider the Epilogs or Trotecs.

attachment.php?attachmentid=87263
    600 x 398 - 129K
    edited 2011-11-28 13:31
    The Mini 24 also has the advantage of air assist. If you intend to do a lot of cutting it can be a benefit.

My Epilog price list shows the 60 watt as $4k more - maybe the prices have come down?
    edited 2011-11-28 13:35
    Alex,

My only experience, power-wise, is with 35W. I would say, though, that if you can afford more power, get it. Even if you don't need it to make deeper cuts, it will speed up the cutting that you do. One huge advantage of the Mini series over the Zings is the use of servo motors rather than steppers. If you can afford a Mini, I'd get one just because of that.

Someone at Parallax who uses their larger Epilog machine would be a better source than I am to comment on the power issue.

-Phil

Addendum: BTW, the Zings have air assist, too, but it's in the form of an air curtain, rather than the nozzle used by the Minis. I've never experienced any flare-ups, as long as I remember to turn on the compressor. I do get edge charring with some materials, though, and vapor deposition on the surface of others.
  • IRobot2IRobot2 Posts: 164
    edited 2011-11-28 13:52
    Thanks again to you both,

@W9GFO You were right, it is $4k more. I must have mis-added.

At this point I am leaning toward the Mini series. I will probably just go with the highest wattage my budget can afford after I add in all the extras.

Thank you both for the help. Just the reassurance I am on the right track helps a lot! -Alex
    edited 2011-11-28 14:01
    Also, don't forget that you can lease the Epilogs.
    edited 2011-11-28 14:18
    If you buy a used machine, be sure to ask how old it is and/or how long it's been since the laser tube was replaced. The tubes need to be refilled from time to time (I think because the helium diffuses out), and the interval between tube replacements is solely a function of age, not hours of use.

-Phil
  • tingotingo Posts: 87
    edited 2011-12-07 10:39
    Lasersaur is an interesting project.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2011-12-12 11:12
    Someone at Parallax who uses their larger Epilog machine would be a better source than I am to comment on the power issue. -Phil

I haven't used our laser, actually, but I know enough about it to suggest that you buy the most power you can afford, period. Buy enough power that you can't envision using it today, in fact. I couldn't imagine having anything less than 75W for production, and probably 60W for prototype parts. Sure, you can size the purchase for what you envision doing today but it's the opportunities you'll create for yourself once you have enough power to cut thicker pieces of material. The kinds of things that go into our laser cutter include boxes, ornaments, thick plastics for photo engraving, iPhones, bigger robot parts, and a pumpkin (still trying to figure out who put the pumpkin in the laser!).

A laser cutter is the tool that you couldn't have envisioned not having once you're running it. Also, the whole lack of fixturing and simplicity of printing (from your drawing program, no CAM or toolpaths) makes it really fast to get results.

Ken Gracey
    edited 2011-12-12 11:20
    But don't use it on pumpkins! IIRC, it took the Parallax staff at least a day to clean their laser cutter's optics after that "experiment." Also, don't use it on vinyl or any other chlorine-containing materials. The fumes produced will instantly corrode any electronics they come in contact with and void your warranty. Plus, chlorine-compound fumes are highly toxic.

-Phil
  • Jim FouchJim Fouch Posts: 395
    edited 2011-12-13 06:04
    I've had my 50W 27"x17" laser for just over 2 years now, and I have to agree with Ken. It is the most usefull tool/machine I have ever invested in. I have a small CNC router that I used to use for making prototype parts and stuff. I don't think I have turned it on in the last year. lol I use the laser for most everything. Even for making simple templates out of minilla folders for marking hole positions when drilling a bracket or something like that.

I'm amazed on how much the price has come down on the Chinese versions. I paid ~$6K for mine and now you can buy the same machine for about $3,500. They are not a nice as the American built machines, but at 1/4 - 1/3 the price I can't really complain. There is no way I could have afforded one of the American machines anyway.

I'm working on an upgrade that will use a camera and a prop to use it to measure locations for designs.
  • You can't go wrong with Epilog. Parallax has one of their larger laser cutters. I own a Zing16 and love it. The Zing24 is probably a better choice, though, for the following reasons:

1. The work area is 24" x 12", which corresponds more closely with readily-available material dimensions than my 16" x 12".

2. The Zing24 uses better optics than the Zing16.

3. The Zing24 offers more power options than the Zing16.

4. The Zing24 allows front-loading, in addition to top-loading.

5. The Zing24 supports the optional rotary attachment; the Zing16 does not.

In addition to the laser cutter itself, you will need the aluminum cutting grid, a small air compressor for the air curtain, and an external vent fan with 4" ducting to vent the fumes outdoors.

As far as power goes, my Zing16 is an earlier 35W model. It can barely make it through 1/4" Plexiglas in one pass, but 1/8" is no problem. I've cut 1/4" wood with it, 1/8" Delrin, cork, carpeting, paper, cardboard, and Formica.

Epilog's customer support is top-notch. Frankly, I would not consider another brand -- especially any of the Chinese-made units (despite what other forum members might say about them). You want to spend your company's time cutting and engraving -- not fiddling with adjustments.

-Phil

I have a Epilog Zig 24 and It has been a work horse for me Its an awesome machine!!  I used to do this:  http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/160556/how-i-use-a-40w-laser-to-make-pcb-prototypes
  • I will ditto most comments about Epilog in that they are the best choice. I have an Epilog Legend EXT 36, 75 watt at work (with all the options it was $42k) and it gets used frequently for kapton stencils, engraved anodized aluminum, MDF tooling jigs, delrin fixtures, shadow boards, etc. You can also sign up for Epilog's preowned email list and get alerted anytime they have one for sale: https://www.epiloglaser.com/products/preowned.htm