Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
New packaging and products for RadioShack stores - a quick look! - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

New packaging and products for RadioShack stores - a quick look!

Comments

• Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2011-08-18 19:04
    The pegboard packaging is a good idea. Right now the Parallax sensors are in the drawer with the resistors and capacitors. Out of sight out of mind, but out in the open helps generate interest.
  • RonPRonP Posts: 384
    edited 2011-08-18 19:24
    Maybe Parallax and Radio Shack can get together and produce a 10-20 minute video explaining all the new stuff to their employees. Then maybe Radio Shack employees could do a better job of explaining them to customers. There must be something like this in the works. I have ran across a few RS employees who are in the know.
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2011-08-18 19:28
    Matt:

Already wayyy ahead of you.. Spent a couple hours with my local RS guy this week while buying a droid. They will be looking for new products.

OBC

IDEA! Follow me on this...

Radio Shack suffers from having sales associates that are not "up to speed" on this stuff. We here on the Forums know how cool this stuff is.

I have (3) Radio Shacks near me. I'm going to introduce myself to the guys/gals that work there and show them what can be done (and how to do it!) with this stuff.

I'll get them up to speed on the *coolness* of what we all play with everyday.

The majority of you Forumistas are great teachers here on the Forums - now, let's teach the Radio Shacks - one by one!

In short: Teach the Stores how to have fun, so they can much more effectively communicate to their customers what we experience all the time, so they can have fun too.

If many of you do the same in your neighborhoods - the number of newcomers would grow exponentially!

It's a Win for all parties.

Who's with me?

Hoorah!
    -Matt
  • ihmechihmech Posts: 179
    edited 2011-08-18 19:31
    Very nice packaging. :-)

I'm 31 and Radio Shack was the reason I got into electronics as a hobby and almost a career. Most notably Forest Mims books got me started. Hopefully my local RS will stock a lot of those nice looking products.

But, they'll probably keep pushing their cell phones instead. It's sad, we have a local 4H robotics club that would probably make use of a lot of those nice products.

Hopefully we'll see them in our local RS. Thanks for your hard work!
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2011-08-18 19:56
    wrote:
    This is fantastic news Ken!
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    edited 2011-08-18 20:00
    SHAQ: Best days behind!

SHACK: Best days ahead...?
  • ratronicratronic Posts: 1,451
    edited 2011-08-18 20:12
    I wonder how soon Parallax is going to start selling that 3 axis gyro?
  • BamseBamse Posts: 561
    edited 2011-08-18 20:12
    Awesome, I'll be checking the stores next week, hope to be able to pick up a few boards...
  • Roy ElthamRoy Eltham Posts: 2,996
    edited 2011-08-18 20:17
    Really nice, Ken! Can't wait to see these in the stores.
  • hmillerhmiller Posts: 17
    edited 2011-08-18 20:20
    wrote:
    This is great!
  • tdlivingstdlivings Posts: 437
    edited 2011-08-18 20:36
    Great news Ken
    I will have to pay a visit to my local Radio Shack, actually a couple close to me, and see if they know
    about this or could care less.
    The ones here in Michigan still have the parts drawers last I was there but big on cell phones and cell
    phone accessorys.
    I was at MicroCenter yesterday and they have a SparkFun display, it is actually in the Games section.

This is really good to see
    Tom
  • RavenkallenRavenkallen Posts: 1,057
    edited 2011-08-18 21:00
    Words cannot describe the feeling of excitement that i had when i saw this post!!!!... Great job guys. This will be a huge benefit to every party involved. I just might buy my first QuickStart board from Radioshack:)
  • electromanjelectromanj Posts: 270
    edited 2011-08-18 21:10
    This is fantastic news! Speaking for those of us that are "urbanly challenged" Thank You Very Much! My local RS carries PINGS, accelerometers, PIRs, light to frequency, and before they clearanced them out they had RFID readers. (cleaned them out of those ). Can't wait to see what they decide to stock! Hopefully pretty soon I'm saying " Honey, got to run to Radio Shack and pick up a quickstart board!"

traVis
  • Martin HodgeMartin Hodge Posts: 1,246
    edited 2011-08-18 21:18
    HIp, hip, hooray!
  • tdlivingstdlivings Posts: 437
    edited 2011-08-18 21:18
    Ken
    What kind of info is on the back of the packages you show. There is not much space for a lot of detail but
    how about the idea of a QR code linked back to the doc's on the Parallax site.
    More and more phones can decode the QR code and go to the web link.
    I can see the younger generation with there iphone or ipad using the QR code to get the doc on the item
    and viewing it while shopping. I am not sure Apple ipad , iphone read pdf's

If you have not already thought of it, something to mention when you give your presentation to Radio Shack

Tom
  • Roy ElthamRoy Eltham Posts: 2,996
    edited 2011-08-18 21:48
    Also, Ken, when can I buy one of those 3 axis gyros?
  • FredBlaisFredBlais Posts: 370
    edited 2011-08-19 05:41
    Hey, is it possible for a non radioshack store to have thoses in stock?

Fred
  • parskoparsko Posts: 501
    edited 2011-08-19 05:48
    Wow!!! Awesome!!!

It's been a LONG while since I've put a post up here. So many distractions have entered my life in the past few years, I feel almost ashamed. Aside from being 1 week away from child #2, one of those distractions has been a 2nd job at Radio Shack. Yes, I am an employee of The Shack.

I am looking at this post at my day job, and my jaw is hitting my keyboard. This is awesome!!! My store only has a few items in stock. I know we have a PIR, and a 2 axis accel, and your normal Stamp starter kits. In the 2 months I've been there, I've sold none, unfortunately. I push this stuff, believe me.

One of the reasons I got a 2nd job there, besides the obvious of trying to feed my family, was to bring back the DIY state-of-mind to the stores. In the 6 or so years I've been a member of this forum, and a Propeller user, I've not heard many positive comments towards the Shack, due to this lack of knowledge. I hope to be a part of the movement that helps change that stigma.

It amuses me regularly, too. On this forum, I'm pretty much stupid compared to rest of the crowd, when it comes to electronics. But, when I walk in that door at the Shack, I'm a genius. I've asked EVERY colleague I've worked with to-date; "what is Ohm's law?". Not a single one has gotten it right. All the way up to my District Manager!!!! It sickens me a bit.

I try to engage with my customers about being a Maker, about DIY, about putting an antenna on your roof to try to cut out the cable companies. I get mixed responses though. Partly due to being located in the "center of the ghetto", we don't get the best crowd in. But, this is an area where parents and kids can engage with one another and do stuff. It's a way to get these kids out of the ghetto.

So, thanks Ken. I look forward to hanging the Prop on a peg, out in the open. I'll even be my stores first customer (even though it will probably take that whole 4 hour shift to pay for the thing!). I'll keep working on trying to get my co-workers and managers educated too. We recently began to stock Velleman kits, which are EXCELLENT, IMHO. The Parallax products, in blister packs, will make for a great display. I look forward to selling all of it. Great choice of products to stock too!

Shack employee at store 1230. (I hope this post doesn't get me fired!)

-Luke (aka parsko to you folks)
  • tobdectobdec Posts: 267
    edited 2011-08-19 06:15
    Just talked to my manager....franchise radioshacks will have them too! Aparently there is a huge demand for...as the old grey hairs would say "Anything but a dam videogame" This christmas. I realy hope people start geting back into diy hobbys like they used to....esp at radioshack!
  • xanatosxanatos Posts: 1,120
    edited 2011-08-19 06:17
    wrote:
    This is FANTASTIC!
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2011-08-19 07:01
    Ken, this is fantastic! Great job, very impressive and useful! For the future, if you could get some low cost Parallax circuit books, like Forest M. Mimms had in the past, that would be a great matching element.
  • TubularTubular Posts: 4,622
    edited 2011-08-19 07:33
    Excellent work Parallax.

Now for that matching vending machine...

PS like the QR code idea for the generation coming through...
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2011-08-19 07:54
    tdlivings wrote: »
    Ken
    What kind of info is on the back of the packages you show. There is not much space for a lot of detail but
    how about the idea of a QR code linked back to the doc's on the Parallax site.
    More and more phones can decode the QR code and go to the web link.
    I can see the younger generation with there iphone or ipad using the QR code to get the doc on the item
    and viewing it while shopping. I am not sure Apple ipad , iphone read pdf's

If you have not already thought of it, something to mention when you give your presentation to Radio Shack

Tom

Tom, that's a very useful suggestion and I want to thank you for making it. Please drop me a message by e-mail if you can.

QR codes will be part of the final packaging. Thankfully the files were not leaving for the printer until later today.

Ken Gracey
  • piguy101piguy101 Posts: 248
    edited 2011-08-19 08:02
    Now only if the employees at Radio Shack knew anything in the world except about cell phones...I hate getting blank stares from the workers at Radio Shack when I ask them a question.
  • edited 2011-08-19 08:50
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    Hey all,

RadioShack is dead serious about their investment in the DIY/creator/inventor/entrepreneur/hobbyist electronics business,

Congratulations to you and Parallax.

I still can't find solder braid at Radio Shack and I think I will buy somewhere else because I compare prices and Radio Shack is high priced.
  • wjsteelewjsteele Posts: 697
    edited 2011-08-19 09:19
    Chuckz wrote: »
    I still can't find solder braid at Radio Shack...

Hmmm... Normally RS carries it as an "always instock" item! http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062744

Bill
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2011-08-19 09:34
  • SarielSariel Posts: 182
    edited 2011-08-19 09:39
    I got my start in electronics a number of years ago, by buying books by Mr. Forrest Mimms III, along with the needed parts form the local Radio Shack. I was very upset When I found out they were discontinuing this line. Lately, I have noticed a that they are bringing it back to the forefront. Thank you Chip, and all others at your company for partnering up with RS, and hopefully bringing interested yound minds back into electronics.
  • piguy101piguy101 Posts: 248
    edited 2011-08-19 09:47
    RDL2004 wrote: »
    How many of us looked at that photo and didn't notice "gyrocope" ?

Wow, I didn't even notice.

I am very pleased with this about Radio Shack and I have one question: What will the pricing be relative to Parallax's pricing? The same? Five dollars more?
  • RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
    edited 2011-08-19 09:51
    oops, accidentally deleted that post, it's okay though. Your quote has the whole post.