Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Support OS X 10.7 Lion - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Support OS X 10.7 Lion

Comments

• Peter KG6LSEPeter KG6LSE Posts: 1,383
    edited 2012-06-02 17:30
    from what I have heard is that a new mac/windows compiler is on its way .. what date I have no clue .

I dont remember if it was for Prop only or both ..

Ken Et Al .. you know I will support all the parallax products .

But if Some one asked can i use a mac with a BS2 I have to say .. NO...
    its not like Us mac nuts can just shoehorn 10.5 on a new mac to please Old SW . this is not a PC you can ""upgrade"" From Vista to XP on LOLS

it t was that easy I bet Many would do it ..

cause 90% of the time its a New mac user . not some old Fart like me on 10.5.8 !

all this said ,,,,,

PEOPLE Please ! Please!! LEARN VMs!

ANY modern computer can Run VMs with minimal hassle ..

Ditch the apple version .. VM XP and GET ON WITH LIFE ... Trust me once you master this a Whole new world of compatibility opens up !
  • tobdectobdec Posts: 267
    edited 2012-06-07 11:12

all this said ,,,,,

PEOPLE Please ! Please!! LEARN VMs!

ANY modern computer can Run VMs with minimal hassle ..

Ditch the apple version .. VM XP and GET ON WITH LIFE ... Trust me once you master this a Whole new world of compatibility opens up !
    I second this....my gf ran a VM'ed version of her vista pc for months on her macbook until she fully learned OSX. Windows XP on ANY Mac built in the past 5 years would be cake work in a VM if one was to only program the BS2 or Prop IDE.
  • dehlendehlen Posts: 13
    edited 2015-07-01 22:55
    I fully understood that you and your team had just a little amount of time and that you had trouble porting this to OSX Lion. But meanwhile i'm really ticked. I paid a lot of money for your products and you make promises about the finish date of the port which you can't hold.

Please keep in mind that there are a lot of customers on OSX Lion. Do you know back there in 2011 when you wrote that the support for OSX Lion should be done by "mid-January 2012". Well its june now !

Sincerely,
    a angry and impatient customer.
  • JLockeJLocke Posts: 354
    edited 2012-06-25 20:21
    Have you tried running in a VM as suggested above? Or is it easier to just sit and be upset? If you were really so upset I would think that you would be doing whatever was in your control to alleviate the situation and get on with your coding/developing. You bought a computer with an operating system that is not supported (yet) so it's the fault of Parallax that they haven't 'fixed' your situation?
  • gradyboochgradybooch Posts: 5
    edited 2012-08-20 07:35
    I too am looking forward to the long-awaited arrival of an IDE for the Basic Stamp on Lion. And JLocke, it is an issue of choice: I choose the Stamp long ago because there was a means of programming it via the Mac, and I choose to not have any Windows bits on my machine. I'm not upset...it's just silly that a proper release has been long promised and taken so long, and it's an indication that Parallax does not deem native support for the Mac to be of a high priority. I respect that.

So, gentlefolk at Parallax, why don't you release this code into the wild, and make it open source? Clearly a) it is not important enough to you that it warrants a timely update to run on Lion, b) I cannot believe that the economic value of this code is so high that you'd lose any revenue - indeed, there's an obvious upside, for now you reopen the market to Macophiles under Lion and beyond - and finally c) I have to believe in the power of crowd sourcing, for if the traffic on this board and elsewhere is any indication, I expect you'd find dozens of folks who would leap at the chance to bring this code to a place where I can run under Lion.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2012-08-22 21:30
    It is unfortunate that the only support currently available for the Stamps on the Mac relies on running Windows on a VM. It does work though.

On the Propeller side of things, BST is a lost cause under Lion or Mountain Lion, but that's not Parallax's fault and you can still use BSTC as a command line tool. In fact, SimpleIDE works great under Mountain Lion and you can compile either Spin (using BSTC) or C (using GCC) with it.

I have enough tools that only run under Windows that it's well worth maintaining a copy of Windows XP under ParallelsDesktop. I can run the PropScope software, Hanno's various programs, the Stamp Editor, the Propeller Tool, PST, and others.
  • guebeliguebeli Posts: 1
    edited 2012-09-10 13:18
    I have invested a lot of time and effort in projects with BS. Main reason to work with BS was the compatibility with Mac and the editor from murat konar. Could anyone of the parallax folks tell me why they are so unfriendly with all the Mac users out there and dont update the tokenizer ? As with Windows we Mac users are updating our systems from time to time and actual we are with Lion and Mountainlion. So I (and a lot of other Mac-people) am still waiting for an update to the konar editor, but not for long anymore... I might switch to arduino (lot of people do), rasperryPi or whatelse , but not BASIC STAMP anymore !! Sorry, but time is running out... and this is a real sad story at all !
  • Peter KG6LSEPeter KG6LSE Posts: 1,383
    edited 2012-09-22 13:50
    While I can't let apple off the hook totaly......... Riddle me this . Why could rosetta not just be a Extra to install .... you want it .. then here is the URL .. have Fun .

You don't bog the normal users but We get what we need .
  • new3gum2new3gum2 Posts: 1
    edited 2012-11-20 12:05
    I too really would like to have a compatible version of the stamp editor that is Mac Os X intel compatible.

We have a lab of intel iMacs. And we actually plan to buy more soon.

It looks like we will have to retire the old fleet of USB boebots and move on to LEGO mindstorms and other products if parallax doesnt get their act together.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2012-11-23 08:23
    Peter,
    As I understand it, Apple licensed Rosetta from another company. The license has finally expired and either Apple doesn't want to pay the increased licensing fees or the company won't license it anymore for some reason.

new3gum2,
    Parallax is busy getting other acts together and this one seems to be a tough nut to crack unfortunately. You can certainly run the Stamp Editor under Windows XP in a virtual machine on any Intel Mac. Unfortunately, that would mean getting a copy of Windows XP for each machine and some kind of virtual machine ... commercial ones include VMware and Parallels Desktop. There are free open source ones available, but they require more IT support to install and get running. I've tried Wine repeatedly over the years which doesn't require a copy of Windows, but have had problems with the actual downloading to the Stamp ... some have gotten it to work ... it's too much trouble for me when I have Parallels Desktop and Windows XP already.
    edited 2013-01-05 00:05
    The good news: I stumbled on the Mac (Mountain Lion) app called WinOnX, which permits you to run simple Windows apps directly on your Intel Mac, without having a full Windows installation. I am able to run the latest Basic Stamp Editor!

The bad news: I've only fiddled with it for an hour or so, but I'm unable to get WinOnX to identify any serial ports, and ergo I'm as of yet unable to download any programs to my Basic Stamp board.

WinOnX is basically a wrapper for Wine. I've been poking about the various Wine forums for ideas on how to establish my serial USB to com1 connection, but I'm not there yet. One intermediate step I've taken is to install the proper USB serial drivers for my Basic Stamp board.

More later as this unfolds...
    edited 2013-01-05 00:08
    Ah, more ideas...

Wine works with Ubantu as well, and I stumbled across this post in another Parallax forum

[SOLVED] Parallax BASIC Stamp and Wine - Ubuntu Forums

I
    'll give this a try myself on my Mac...
  • Jeff MartinJeff Martin Posts: 751
    edited 2013-01-07 09:57
    Status Update:

Hi everyone,

Sorry I've been quite about this.

I've been in touch with Murat (the maker of the MacBS2 software) and he and I are now working together to solve this once and for all. He has knowledge in Mac-specific areas that I don't, such as exactly how the tokenizer should be compiled and packaged for use by his software under Lion. He may also be able to help with a couple other issues as well; we'll evaluate the problems when we come to them.

Once we solve these things, he'll be able to update the MacBS2 software to accept the new compiler.

I'll provide more status updates to this thread soon.

Respectfully,
    edited 2013-01-07 10:26
    That is encouraging news.

(In the meantime, I'm continuing with the Wine approach, thought I've as of yet been unsuccessful in getting Wine to recognize the Stamp board's USB connection as com1).

Grady
  • Mr. LewisMr. Lewis Posts: 24
    edited 2013-01-22 14:39
    This would be great news as I recently had to purchase a new Mac and do not (by choice) want to run an emulator unless absolutely necessary. I teach, so don't need the program too often is the mani reason, but many more of my students are showing up in class with Macs and would like to use their own machine to run BS2 programs.
    edited 2013-02-07 17:49
    Status Update: Good News!

Hi everyone,

We've solved the last major problem preventing us from getting the PBASIC Tokenizer from running on OSx Lion! I've run it through over 1,300 tests and it now passes them all.

I've delivered the latest materials to Murat and am hoping he and I can meet up this weekend to discuss remaining items. I have some additional clean up, testing, and configuration to do to complete the whole package. Afterwards, we'll officially release the updated tokenizer and Murat will have what he needs to start updating the MacBS2 software to run on OSx Lion as well.

I believe this will run fine on OSx Mountain Lion as well, but I will test that directly.

I will update this thread again when I have new information.
  • HansemannHansemann Posts: 1
    edited 2013-02-13 01:31
    There is another app called "Crossover" that runs Windows programs "natively" for a fee of about $50. This runs PBasic beautifully. While we wait that is... No pressure guys :) For my part, I'd rather wait than get a half finished product...
  • dgatelydgately Posts: 1,621
    edited 2013-02-13 09:38
    Status Update: Good News!

I believe this will run fine on OSx Mountain Lion as well, but I will test that directly.

Jeff,

For Mountain Lion, you'll definitely want to test as it always boots to 64-bit... I've had to rebuild a lot of my older 32-bit-compiled code projects for Mountain Lion use.

dgately
  • Mr. LewisMr. Lewis Posts: 24
    edited 2013-02-13 15:58
    Jeff

Great news! Thanks so much for keeping up with this. I am running Mountain Lion, and once MacBS2 has been updated, I (and I'm sure others) can help out and make sure it is running. I have a few students who will appreciate this as they will be able to use their own machines too.

Tim
    edited 2013-02-21 01:08
    That is good news indeed.

(though I'm wanting Mountain Lion OS 1.8, not 1.7....)
    edited 2013-02-22 09:25
    dgately wrote: »
    Jeff,

For Mountain Lion, you'll definitely want to test as it always boots to 64-bit... I've had to rebuild a lot of my older 32-bit-compiled code projects for Mountain Lion use.

dgately

Thanks dgately! We will.
    edited 2013-02-22 09:32
    STATUS UPDATE:

* Murat (maker of MacBS2) has been successful at updating his software to compile in Mountain Lion 64-bit with the updated PBASIC Tokenizer. He is excited by the opportunity to enhance his software and make it available publicly. I don't know his time-frame, but I imagine he'll let us know as soon as he does.

* There's some minor decisions and code cleanup to do yet.

* I've begun work to enhance the PBASIC Tokenizer to support the BS2px.

I'll provide more status updates as we have them.
  • NinaNina Posts: 1
    edited 2013-03-18 12:22
    Hi Jeff,

I've been waiting for the solution for Lion and just discovered this thread.
    This is great news!

Nina
  • sammythekingsammytheking Posts: 1
    edited 2013-03-19 15:27
    Great news, hope it will be released soon :)
  • BenBen Posts: 9
    edited 2013-04-06 19:00
    Excellent, and thank you for your continued attention to the BS2 ... a classic that remains eminently useful. It would be great to get back to those BS2's needing my attention.

Need any testing or help from an end user? I am more than happy to sniff out the glitches for the greater good.
  • macbs2macbs2 Posts: 4
    edited 2013-04-10 23:14
    Hi guys, Murat here.

Nothing to announce yet, but as Jeff has noted, I am indeed working on getting MacBS2 updated for modern Mac OS X. Or more accurately, I am re-writing it. MacBS2 was the first thing I ever wrote using Cocoa and Objective-C back in 2002, and I've learned a lot since then. Also, Cocoa itself has changed a bit over the years which makes a simple re-compile of the original code base less than straightforward.

In any case, my first priority is to get a very basic implementation together that can edit, compile and download programs. I will make this available as soon as I can. Features that will certainly be missing at the beginning:

- multi-slot support
    - memory map
    - BS2px support
    - built-in BASIC STAMP reference

Also, the new MacBS2 will be for Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) or later.

This is "weekends when I can" project for me, so I know it will take longer than most people would like. Thanks in advance for your patience, and extra thanks to Jeff and his crew for making this possible.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2013-04-11 12:46
    macbs2 wrote: »
    Hi guys, Murat here.

Nothing to announce yet, but as Jeff has noted, I am indeed working on getting MacBS2 updated for modern Mac OS X. Or more accurately, I am re-writing it. MacBS2 was the first thing I ever wrote using Cocoa and Objective-C back in 2002, and I've learned a lot since then. Also, Cocoa itself has changed a bit over the years which makes a simple re-compile of the original code base less than straightforward.

In any case, my first priority is to get a very basic implementation together that can edit, compile and download programs. I will make this available as soon as I can. Features that will certainly be missing at the beginning:

- multi-slot support
    - memory map
    - BS2px support
    - built-in BASIC STAMP reference

Also, the new MacBS2 will be for Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) or later.

This is "weekends when I can" project for me, so I know it will take longer than most people would like. Thanks in advance for your patience, and extra thanks to Jeff and his crew for making this possible.

Murat,

Thanks for the update. I think I speak for hundreds of users, you efforts are much appreciated! I'm sure it's a labor of love. :)

Jim

BTW..Welcome back to the forums!
  • doggiedocdoggiedoc Posts: 2,239
    edited 2013-04-12 03:37
    Like Jim said, thanks for the update! We really do appreciate your efforts and look forward to an update.

Thanks again!

Paul
  • ZootZoot Posts: 2,227
    edited 2013-04-15 16:03
    Murat -- would small PayPal donations or something like that (micro scale Kickstarter) help out? I'd be willing to kick down a few $$.
  • macbs2macbs2 Posts: 4
    edited 2013-04-23 23:53
    I just posted the first Intel compatible MacBS2 at

<http://muratnkonar.com/otherstuff/macbs2-experimental/downloads.shtml&gt;

I mentioned earlier that the new MacBS2 would be for Mountain Lion (10.8) or later only, but I was able to squeeze in support for Lion (10.7) as well.

Please:

- heed the caveats on that page
    - report bugs via the "Send MacBS2 Feedback" command in the "MacBS2" menu
    - have fun!

_murat