Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Ken/Cluso99/ W9GFO/JasonD's QuadCopter Build Log (updated info ELEV-8 + availability) - Page 26 — Parallax Forums

Ken/Cluso99/ W9GFO/JasonD's QuadCopter Build Log (updated info ELEV-8 + availability)

Comments

• TigerTiger Posts: 105
    edited 2012-01-20 15:39
    I'm in total agreement with Rich. The simulator is the best money you could possibly spend. I tell people to think of it as FREE. Free considering all the parts you're not going to be buying when you try flying the real thing. Radio Shack sells toys. What's you're about to get into is anything but a toy! I wouldn't go there.

There are any number of simulators out there, but I think RealFlight is the most robust and most enjoyable to fly in the long run. As was mentioned earlier, an older version would be just fine and shouldn't be very expensive. Try looking on RCGroups.

...Tiger
  • ratronicratronic Posts: 1,451
    edited 2012-01-20 16:39
    I use Realflight G5.5 and it comes with a real Futaba r/c control that plugs into a usb port. I have yet to learn to fly the jets!
  • Al BoothAl Booth Posts: 137
    edited 2012-01-20 21:01
    Now some good news. The second PC I tried loaded the RealFlight G5 demo with no problem.

I never knew how easy it is to crash a P-51. Now to try for more than 5 seconds in the air.....
  • TharkunTharkun Posts: 67
    edited 2012-01-21 01:40
    Hi @ all,

here you can get a free flight simulator:

http://n.ethz.ch/student/mmoeller/fms/index_e.html

and here are some quad,hex and octo models which can be fly with this simulater:

http://svn.mikrokopter.de/listing.php?repname=Projects&path=%2FFMS-Modelle%2FZIP%2F&#A752e684c35a388367f5e03578f201bae

the installation on windows vista/7 is a little bit tricky, see this thread for more details:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1455985
  • MarkVMarkV Posts: 12
    edited 2012-01-22 10:19
    Hello,

I finally finished my ELEV-8. I was loading the Hoverfly firmware and noticed that there are three versions (Sport, Expert, and AP) of the latest firmware (3.1.477). Initially, I assumed that since the ELEV-8 uses a Hoverfly Sport board, that the Sport version of the firmware would be the one to use. However, after looking at the Hoverfly RC Groups pages, I see examples of video shot with the Hoverfly Sport board using AP firmware.

Does anyone know the differences between the three versions of the firmware? Do they all work with the Sport board? Is one better for a beginner?

Thanks!

HoverFlyFirmwareOptions.png
    750 x 804 - 101K
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2012-01-22 13:01
    MarkV wrote: »
    Hello,
    I finally finished my ELEV-8. I was loading the Hoverfly firmware and noticed that there are three versions (Sport, Expert, and AP) of the latest firmware (3.1.477).

The SPORT version is where I'd start - I'm not sure of the other firmware versions and whether or not they'd run on your board.

Welcome to the forums, by the way! Great to see another ELEV-8er ride about to happen! Report back with your experiences.

Sincerely,

Ken Gracey
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2012-01-22 17:53
    MarkV wrote: »
    Hello,

I finally finished my ELEV-8. I was loading the Hoverfly firmware and noticed that there are three versions (Sport, Expert, and AP) of the latest firmware (3.1.477)...

This is a good question. My assumption is that "Sport" is normal, "AP" (aerial photography) is a softer more docile mode and "Expert" is the most agile. I have only tried the "Sport" mode so far.
  • kmc123kmc123 Posts: 33
    edited 2012-01-23 17:28
    From a thread I read on the Hoverfly forums, I was under the impression that the 2.310 and 2.310B were for the Hoverfly Sport, and the 3.1.477 were for the HoverFly Pro. The 2.310B was "Beginner" mode and was less
    sensitive...

OK - I was wrong - The B was the less sensitive one for the 2.310 series, but it looks like the later ones work for the sport too:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1526205
    edited 2012-01-23 17:30
    Ken / Parallax - Any news on the shipping of the crash kits?
    I ordered one the day they became available and need one pretty badly :) I broke 2 props, 2 legs, and the bottom plate :(
    Will the bottom plates be available anytime soon???
  • jakethesnakejakethesnake Posts: 15
    edited 2012-01-23 18:12
    Hello,

We have received a grant for robotics and have an order we are soon to place from parallax. I probably missed something, but how can we buy one of the elev 8's ? We want one!
    edited 2012-01-23 23:44
    Almost got this thing done! Trying to figure out prop rotation so I can phase the motors. Is the CW and CCW in the docs as viewed from the top or the bottom of the quad? Looking at pictures here on the forum it would appear to be from the top, but normally I think you would specify prop rotation as viewed from the back of the motor (cockpit view). I see it both ways here, but I realize some of the pics are of quads still under construction. I'd like not to find this out the hard way. :-)

Thanks ...Tiger
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2012-01-23 23:58
    Hello,

We have received a grant for robotics and have an order we are soon to place from parallax. I probably missed something, but how can we buy one of the elev 8's ? We want one!

See post #720 in this thread. It says (in part)
    T-Bone: another new user! The Welcome Committee wishes to make you feel at home! Great to see another person join our forums and have interest in the ELEV-8. I'll give you the details on the ELEV-8 availability since I was just chatting with the Production Manager. Basically, we're waiting for a few minor bits of hardware to arrive today or tomorrow and we shall kit a set of 50 next week. Although the formal delivery date is early February, they've got a habit of under-promise and over-deliver. If I had to bet I'd probably put several lunches on the fact that we'll have them available at the end of next week, by Friday.

However, it's possible to wait around forever with our new products. If you place a backorder now you'll be in the queue. If you don't, then they arrive in stock and sell out quickly, and the product appears to be always out of stock even though we're selling them regularly.

I guess you're not willing to spend days going through 32 pages of threads... :)
  • Dr_AculaDr_Acula Posts: 5,484
    edited 2012-01-24 00:09

? Bookmark this page http://www.parallax.com/tabid/768/txtSearch/elev8/List/0/SortField/4/Default.aspx and check regularly.

All very exiciting. I like the "crash pack" :)
    edited 2012-01-24 00:23
    Tiger wrote: »
    Almost got this thing done! Trying to figure out prop rotation so I can phase the motors. Is the CW and CCW in the docs as viewed from the top or the bottom of the quad?

If you are using the "X" configuration then the right front and left rear motors turn clockwise as viewed from above.
    edited 2012-01-24 01:34
    Thanks Rich. Just got an email from Ken saying the same thing. We will be "hovering" in the morning with any luck at all.! If the rain would stop, we might actually be able to "fly".

...Tiger
  • JasonDorieJasonDorie Posts: 1,930
    edited 2012-01-24 02:26
    Dr_Acula wrote: »

According to Ken you can just place a back-order as well. If you do this, you'll be in the queue for the next batch that arrives. Anything that's got higher demand than supply will likely sell out quickly because of back orders, so just order now if you don't want to have to keep checking back. If I'm not mistaken, you'll get a notification when new stock arrives and the order is sent. They're expecting another round of these pretty soon.

Jason
  • jakethesnakejakethesnake Posts: 15
    edited 2012-01-24 15:11
    Thanks guys!
    edited 2012-01-24 17:16
    KMC123 - You mentioned that you broke "2 props, 2 legs, and the bottom plate". By "legs" do you mean the aluminum booms? Also, by "bottom plate" do you mean the delrin plate under the motor or the big main plate in the center of the quad? If you have broken the main chassis plate, I'd really appreciate a picture that shows how it broke.

Thanks ...Tiger
  • JasonDorieJasonDorie Posts: 1,930
    edited 2012-01-24 18:31
    "Legs" probably means the landing gear.
    edited 2012-01-25 05:21
    Jason is Correct...
    Legs = Landing Gear
    The big main bottom plate broke because I had the contour camera mounted to it with a screw and it knocked the camera off and cracked a chunk out of the bottom plate.
  • RonPRonP Posts: 384
    edited 2012-01-25 21:30
    Hello all,

Some of you might be interested in these little micro quads the Blade MQX. I had a chance to fly one today and ended up buying one. IMO they fly pretty darn good for what they are size wise. On the Horizon site they say Backordered, because when something new comes out they send them all out to Hobby Shops. So if your interested check your local shop if they are a Horizon Dealer, or search the many online shops one of them should have them I would think.

A better training tool than a mirco heli thats for sure.

Ron
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2012-01-25 21:51
    RonP wrote: »
    Hello all,

Some of you might be interested in these little micro quads the Blade MQX. I had a chance to fly one today and ended up buying one. IMO they fly pretty darn good for what they are size wise. On the Horizon site they say Backordered, because when something new comes out they send them all out to Hobby Shops. So if your interested check your local shop if they are a Horizon Dealer, or search the many online shops one of them should have them I would think.

A better training tool than a mirco heli thats for sure.

Ron

Funny you mention this. Today I arrived at Parallax to find a box from our forum friend Tiger, up above. Inside it is exactly what you have - the Blade MQX. It binds with the Spektrum transmitter (another reason to use our default equipment). I can't wait to get this in the air and call Tiger Thursday to give him a real "thank you".
    edited 2012-01-25 22:18
    Interesting link. Looks like the local hobby store has them here in Australia too http://www.modelflight.com.au/products/Blade_mQX_Quadcopter_RTF_Mode_1-10044-60.html?gclid=CPrM_saE7a0CFSlLpgoddhBx5A and they include the transmitter.
    edited 2012-01-25 22:33
    I see Australia flys mode 1 not 2 interesting. I always forget to mention the little things like it binds with Spektrum/JR Transmitters thanks Ken. There are two versions a BNF(bind and fly) and a RTF(ready to fly) so if you don't have a transmitter and just want to see if a quad is for you try the RTF. Its a reasonable price I think.
    edited 2012-01-25 22:44
    I see Australia flys mode 1 not 2 interesting.

I guess I might be an exception there - I started with helis and mode 2 seems more logical for a heli. Probably explains too why I crashed my model plane (mode 1) as they say you should pick one and stick with it. More recently I got a the FMS "Flying Model Simulator" simulator program and a USB RC controller and have experimented with flipping from one mode to the other. That little program has saved me $$$.

I wonder if there is a quadcopter simulation for FMS?
    edited 2012-01-25 22:48
    Is it possible to replace their receiver with a regular Futaba one, or are they using an all-in-one unit?

What a great marketing strategy - the BNF thing. In my local hobby shop nearly everything is BNF, they have very few RC models that could use other brand receivers. When I asked them about it the response was that most people are using the Spectrum transmitters. Uh, yeah. I guess they would have to huh?
    edited 2012-01-25 23:00
    Rich,

It's an all in one. No Futaba. It's pretty small about 8.5 inches from prop to prop(center).

Ron
    edited 2012-01-25 23:12
    Dr_Acula

Pick one and stick with it great advice. Found a Quad for FMS.

Ron
    edited 2012-01-26 01:57
    Pick one and stick with it great advice. Found a Quad for FMS.

Hey, thanks! Great to practice on FMS before trying a real one. Especially getting the feel for the way the controls reverse when the aircraft is coming towards you. I've got one of these cheap controllers and they seem to work fine. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Century-FMS-USB-Simulator-Interface-CN2002-NIB-/390338096905?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5ae1f6af09 My dad has his computer hooked to a huge plasma TV - flying FMS on that is very realistic.
    edited 2012-01-26 03:01
    Rich - I fly BNF Spektrum stuff on my Futaba 10CAP. I've also flown with the 7C and 9C. Don't know what you have, but if you have a Futaba that takes the module on the back, you can buy the Spektrum DM8 module and do it all. I love the Futaba modules. I have them for the Spektrum, synthesized 72MHz, as well as Futaba FASST. It's so nice to be able to do everything with one transmitter! I'm actually pretty anti-Spektrum, but I love all the little ultra micro helicopters and planes so I live with it on those. I also love to build tiny foam planes using the UM receivers and servos. I'd never fly a serious plane, heli, quad, or anything else dangerous Spektrum.

...Tiger