Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
50 TetraProp(tm) Boards now ready to ship ! - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

50 TetraProp(tm) Boards now ready to ship !

Comments

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2011-05-08 17:50
    Wow, that's perfect. Thanks for adding the pin numbers. Now I can use the brain space I was going to use to keep track of which pins go with which headers for something else.
  • Alex41Alex41 Posts: 112
    edited 2011-05-08 18:39
    I'm still new to the Prop. I've gotten my feet wet with the SX and am amazed and intrigued by what these microcontrollers can do.

As a question coming from a relative newbie - What can the TetraProp do for me? My first thought is more pins to hook up more ADC's, displays etc. Along with more cogs.

I know there are a lot of people on here that would find programming multiple props a breeze, but I wouldn't have a clue how they would communicate with one another. I did a brief search in the object library and couldn't find anything. Would an object be made available for communication between the props to make this easier?

Alex
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2011-05-08 21:53
    Alex41 wrote: »
    I know there are a lot of people on here that would find programming multiple props a breeze, but I wouldn't have a clue how they would communicate with one another. I did a brief search in the object library and couldn't find anything. Would an object be made available for communication between the props to make this easier?

Hi Alex. Welcome to the Propeller Forum.

Connecting multiple Propellers together is a somewhat advanced subject. That's why there is no OBEX code to do it, but objects like FullDuplexSerial and others can be used for the communications. There are several threads where people discuss multi-propeller solutions and there are some code examples. They're just a little hard to find.

At some point I'll make a very simple connection scheme and code to post. It will be some time before I can do that though because of previous commitments. Once UPEW is over (end of the month) I will have time to do something and will share that with you and others.
    edited 2011-05-08 21:59
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    Wow, that's perfect. Thanks for adding the pin numbers. Now I can use the brain space I was going to use to keep track of which pins go with which headers for something else.
    I just noticed my silk-screen for PropPlug is off just a little.
    The arrows for TX/RX are reversed for the quick-turn; however the pins are correct.
    The production boards will not have that problem.
  • hinvhinv Posts: 1,252
    edited 2011-05-09 05:56
    Hi Jazzed,

Is it too late to make the connections 10 pin compatible with the protoboard?

In second thought, could you make the connector the sames, but put the pins in the correct groups of eight, not shifted like the protoboard has?
    edited 2011-05-09 08:39
    hinv wrote: »
    Hi Jazzed,

Is it too late to make the connections 10 pin compatible with the protoboard?

In second thought, could you make the connector the sames, but put the pins in the correct groups of eight, not shifted like the protoboard has?

@hinv, It is too late.

Also, I doubt I would have room to do that and maintain a good power and ground plane on a 2 layer board.
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2011-05-09 10:25
    Jazzed, nice board, btw, is it too late to think about one crystal/oscillator instead of multiple crystals?
    edited 2011-05-09 10:42
    Baggers wrote: »
    Jazzed, nice board, btw, is it too late to think about one crystal/oscillator instead of multiple crystals?
    Thanks Baggers. Hope you had a good weekend.

The board is out to fab for the first prototype already. I do understand why you would like to see a single clock. The best I can offer at this point is that the main Propeller Platform board could be used to drive the other Propellers' XINs.

A new board design fitting your requirements based on the current layout could be done very easily without additional NRE cost assuming a 20+ board order as previously mentioned.

Cheers.
    --Steve
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2011-05-09 11:56
    What is the exact size of this board?
  • schillschill Posts: 741
    edited 2011-05-09 12:03
    Humanoido wrote: »
    What is the exact size of this board?

I expect it's the same as the Gadget Gangster Propeller Platform (small version) (http://www.parallax.com/StoreSearchResults/tabid/768/txtSearch/gangster/List/0/SortField/4/ProductID/711/Default.aspx).
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2011-05-09 12:09
    jazzed wrote: »
    Thanks Baggers. Hope you had a good weekend.
    Yeah, was good, told my new place of work, that it wasn't working, so parting ways :D great times! but there could be a silver lining or two to that! prop time being one! haha
    The board is out to fab for the first prototype already. I do understand why you would like to see a single clock. The best I can offer at this point is that the main Propeller Platform board could be used to drive the other Propellers' XINs.
    ok no worries, yeah, third prop could time the xin.
    A new board design fitting your requirements based on the current layout could be done very easily without additional NRE cost assuming a 20+ board order as previously mentioned.
    more I think, your right, may be better option to have a third prop to drive xins :D

Cheers,
    Jim.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2011-05-09 16:25
    Very nice board, and perfect for an upcoming job. Please put me down for 5.
    edited 2011-05-09 18:43
    @kwinn, I'm glad you can put this design to good use. Thanks for offering to buy 5 bare boards.

@Humanoidio, schill is correct. This is the same size as the GadgetGangster small board like the Propeller Platform USB. The outer dimensions of the small board are 2.5" x 2.8" (about 64mm x 72mm).
    edited 2011-05-09 20:53
    I am with Baggers on having a single clock.
    I would only need a single eeprom on the propeller platform as well.
    Then with those things eliminated, you would have more spece to put in 10 pin header ports like on the protoboard, but aligned at p0-p7, p8-p15 etc. Then we could use some of the connectors to connect to Bill Henning's expansion boards that he is coming out with, and play around with the best ways to connect multiple props at the same time!

Sound like a winner?

Doug
  • ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2011-05-09 21:14
    This PCB pattern would make an excellent blanket. You wouldn't happen to be Navajo, would you?

g_6RHa.jpg

Maybe email this person and get one made!
    edited 2011-05-09 21:30
    along with the single clock, I would like a whole in the board right above where the xin side of the crystal pplugs into the platformUSB.
    edited 2011-05-09 21:36
    hinv wrote: »
    I am with Baggers on having a single clock.
    I would only need a single eeprom on the propeller platform as well.
    Then with those things eliminated, you would have more spece to put in 10 pin header ports like on the protoboard, but aligned at p0-p7, p8-p15 etc. ...
    There may be enough interest in both types. Maybe the other thread participants can help make that decision. I would rather not run in both directions at once unless it makes sense as that gets expensive. I will make any board you like for a small NRE fee and royalty or simply a build/drop-ship resale arrangement.
    This PCB pattern would make an excellent blanket. You wouldn't happen to be Navajo, would you?
    Nice Blanket! Not any Navajo here that I know of. Maybe a smidgen of 1832 Georgia Cherokee ....
  • OppaErichOppaErich Posts: 48
    edited 2011-05-10 03:23
    I'm just wondering why you are using 4 crystals ?
    edited 2011-05-10 09:32
    @hinv, if you and 4 or 5 people pool resources for a common custom TetraProp board and can agree on its features, I'll be happy to build it. Maybe a poll would help?
    OppaErich wrote: »
    There are situations where relying on one clock may not be desired. I've run into this before.

David had mentioned to me that a mezzanine adapter board might be interesting for providing specialized features.

A mezzanine board would connect to the bottom or top of the main board kind of like a sandwich.

Such a board could contain a buffer that would allow distributing a single clock to the devices.
    Different mezzanine versions can be produced for the most common interconnect topographies.
    The mezzanine board could use 1/10th" tall female headers and pin-sockets for board to board connections.

The TetraProp + mezzanine board solution will be more expensive than a custom variation of TetraProp.
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2011-05-10 09:41
    OppaErich wrote: »

Here is a guess. This project started out by me asking Steve to make me a board with four QFP Propeller chips. At first I don't think he expected to sell this as a product so we tried to come up with a very conservative approach that wouldn't take a lot of design time. It was easier to have four totally independent Propeller circuits than trying to combine anything like crystals or PropPlug connections. I guess if Steve knew this was going to be a product from the start the extra time required to get shared crystals working might have seemed worthwhile. I didn't push for the more difficult solution because I thought this was a one-off for me and I didn't want to take advantage of his generous offer to build this for me. Maybe these issues can be addressed in Rev 2?
    edited 2011-05-10 10:13
    Ok. Here's what I'll do.

I'll make a new board with a single clock source, and some interconnect scheme TBD.

It would be very helpful if everyone takes the current board when they have them in hand and make some inter-propeller communication prototype. Whatever emerges as the most useful solution will define the connection scheme for the new board. Other new boards can follow based on other designs.

Contributors to the solutions will get discounts for their efforts and I will not ask anyone for an NRE fee.

Plan?
    edited 2011-05-10 14:33
    I hope it is clear that a new board will not be made until after the original board is produced.
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2011-05-11 13:45
    It looks like there are a couple versions of the original boards. What is the final layout for the initial order? I'd like to get one of these as well.

Robert
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2011-05-11 14:25
    As long as people are making wish lists, I do have one more thought.

I think it would be really nice if the four Props could be physically separated by slicing the board into two or four parts.

Is there enough room between traces on the present layout to separate the board?

I'm looking forward to when these are made. Up my order to at least five.

Duane
    edited 2011-05-11 22:22
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    As long as people are making wish lists, I do have one more thought.

I think it would be really nice if the four Props could be physically separated by slicing the board into two or four parts.

Is there enough room between traces on the present layout to separate the board?

I'm looking forward to when these are made. Up my order to at least five.

Duane
    Thanks Duane. No guarantees, but I may be able to separate the "islands" a little better so that you can use a v-score breakaway technique. I won't be changing the power or ground plane though; it will be tough to separate the sections because of that.
    It looks like there are a couple versions of the original boards. What is the final layout for the initial order? I'd like to get one of these as well.

Robert
    Hi Robert, The first post has the final layout of the prototypes. There will be very few changes from the prototype to first production order. There is no second board yet. I'm hoping the community of users will define that next design's connections.
    edited 2011-05-16 19:42
    Got 2 TetraProp prototypes today. Haven't had time to assemble/test them yet. Probably will do that tomorrow.
  • MicrocontrolledMicrocontrolled Posts: 2,461
    edited 2011-05-17 12:05
    Nice Work!!!!
  • davidsaundersdavidsaunders Posts: 1,559
    edited 2011-05-17 13:01
    Jazzed:
    Nice.
    How much are you asking for the bare boards?
    edited 2011-05-17 13:13
    Thanks @microcontrolled :)
    Jazzed:
    Nice.
    How much are you asking for the bare boards?

Price list about the first variation bare boards is here: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?131538-TetraProp(tm)-Propeller-Platform-Board&p=998055&viewfull=1#post998055

Production boards will be ordered after UPEW.

Fully populated boards will be available, but pricing is not set yet.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2011-05-17 19:37
    Nice work Steve.