Android Debug Bridge on a prop - Page 3 — Parallax Forums

Android Debug Bridge on a prop

Comments

• M. K. BorriM. K. Borri Posts: 279
    edited 2011-03-23 00:21
    OK what'd you like to see?
  • Don MDon M Posts: 1,647
    edited 2011-03-23 03:30
    A demonstration utilizing your latest version of software that you just posted.
    edited 2011-03-23 18:02
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcR0ZG_7YC8 Yu asked for a video and here it is :) I also updated the object a little, now it saves on the phone's ramdisk by default to avoid spamming the flash memory with write requests.
    edited 2011-03-25 17:39
    anything else i can do? :)
    edited 2011-03-26 20:45
    If anyone still cares here's a less-messy proto board. You can see the phone in debugging mode connected to it.
    http://spirit-plumber.com/quickgal/13011974082011-03-26%2020.30.54.jpg
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2011-03-27 01:04
    Oh, we are still very interested. Just need to find time to be able to play along.
    edited 2011-03-28 05:13
    http://robots-everywhere.com/re_wiki/index.php?title=PropBridge There should be a wiki to go with the object exchange :)
    edited 2011-03-29 20:26
    Last bump from me, it's now on hackaday with some useful extra notes if it helps any. http://hackaday.com/2011/03/29/propeller-android-communications-using-debug-mode/
  • Martin HodgeMartin Hodge Posts: 1,246
    edited 2011-03-30 07:45
    Don't let the lack of response to the thread deter you from updating it! For every one person that responds there's at least 10 that are lurking and actively reading it. you've managed to get the Prop mentioned on hack-a-day again, which is great!
    edited 2011-03-30 09:26
    Yeah :) The microbridge guy feels that all I did was port his adb implementation and has asked me to credit him as such, incidentally. I don't care either way so he's welcome to take the credit. His implementation is here http://code.google.com/p/microbridge/
    edited 2011-03-30 10:29
    Well, I would say taking the idea of an ADB bridge, implementing it in a totally different language on a totally different processor and marrying it to a software USB host driver that saves having to buy a 40 dollar external USB host board is a LOT MORE than just porting anything.

So yeah, he can have credit for the ADB bridge idea if that is where you got it from, but you get a huge heap of credit for what you have done.

I think you'll see a lot of Android-Prop projects show up when the potential of your work has sunk in.
    edited 2011-03-30 10:42
    Well the ADB bridge is something that the Android guys did in the first place obviously... the propbridge guy (I can't find his name on his website, the email says inopia) was the first to port it to a micro. I was the first to port it to a micro without a slaved IC I guess. That said, from his emails he feels very strongly about it so he can take the credit if he wants, all that matters is that this got done :) I hope the android-side stuff on the obex is readable, my Java is terrible.
    edited 2011-03-30 11:13
    OK what's going on?

Sounds to me like he should be congratulating you on a job well done rather than whining about credit. Oh well.
    edited 2011-03-30 11:47
    eh I got an email complaining about credit and referring to this as a port of microbridge. I don't care enough to get into internet drama about it, so if he wants to take credit for this he's welcome to :) I don't remember my work being a port of his, but he's welcome to remember it that way if it makes him happy.
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2011-04-09 06:10
    All attention will be diverted from this project by arduina-r-us's "e-i-e-i-o", because the artists and dilettantes won't have to solder wires. As we all well know - anything is nothing if it doesn't cater to artists and dilettantes.
    edited 2011-04-20 09:03
    heh let's not go there. i had no shortage of drama to deal with. That said, prop>arduino for the price.
  • simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2011-04-20 14:30
    @MK: I'm hoping to get some time to try this tomorrow. Will try to remember to post my findings. Thanks for posting this :-)
    edited 2011-04-21 06:45
    thanks to you! i'm trying to stuff TWO usb host drivers in a prop so that an android device can have a (slow) usb host mode without rooting it.
    edited 2011-04-21 13:28
    simonl wrote: »
    @MK: I'm hoping to get some time to try this tomorrow. Will try to remember to post my findings. Thanks for posting this :-)

Aaargh! No 6MHz xtals at Maplins :-( Will have to wait.
    edited 2011-04-28 21:49
    http://obex.parallax.com/objects/738/ And then there were two! (Or, more useful, one ADB and one other usb device, useful for instruments contain say a ftdi chip).

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10585 if anyone wants to spam them with the good news, hahaa.
    edited 2011-05-01 11:30
    Aw, no interest :( OK, moving on to other things then! In the meantime since nobody cares enough I'm going to close the thread with the schematics.
    edited 2011-05-01 13:08
    What! Good grief I'm very interested.
    You know, this is the May holiday weekend. Many people are celebrating their fertility rights in the sunshine and therefore they are not checking the forums so much.
    Be patient and thank you.
  • Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2011-05-01 13:13
    Thanks for the heads-up in my RoboProp thread... I am EXTREMELY interested, but have not had time to try your Android Bridge as I've been in "prepare for UPEW" mode :-)

As a matter of fact, I am so interested that I plan to get an Android phone as soon as I come back from UPEW... as I have USB-A connectors, and small proto areas on RoboProp!

Are you coming to UPEW?
    Aw, no interest :( OK, moving on to other things then! In the meantime since nobody cares enough I'm going to close the thread with the schematics.
  • ColeyColey Posts: 1,108
    edited 2011-05-01 13:34
    I'm interested too and have been following this thread from the beginning.
    In fact I've just ordered my first robot from Parallax and will be looking into this when I get it.

Keep up the good work and thank you.

Regards,

Coley
  • TubularTubular Posts: 4,622
    edited 2011-05-01 16:24
    M K Borri,

Silence can mean disinterest, but it can also reflect a stunned audience still thinking through the implications. I fall into the latter category - I think what you've done is amazing and there are all sorts of uses for such a framework. Congratulations.

Last night I got to the "adb devices" stage with my Google Nexus S... as soon as I prove it works with the prop I will cancel my order for the Sparkfun IOIO

Am I right in believing it may be possible for the Prop to send a small "front end" application (such as your terminal) onto the Android via the ADB?
    edited 2011-05-01 20:00
    Sorry I'm a bit emotional...

Yes, it is possible to load stuff into a phone this way. You can use a propborne SD card to say load an .apk into say /data/local and then use an AM intent to install it. Since you get a shell into the phone it's mostly clever use of the cat command and then chmod 777. One thing is, you can only send the file out in small chunks due to the buffer limitations, so it requires multiple cat commands. It was one of the first things I tried, but I decided to not include it in the demo because it's all stuff you can do with a pc anyway and I didn't want drama about it being a way to root the phone (don't want motorola try to shut down the obex or some such silliness). It is very easy and almost overhead-free to control a robot using the logcat method happily! Getting data from the prop to the phone is a bit more belabored but that's what the temporary file is for. You can also use a telnet socket but I find that has two disadvantages, one it is less reliable, two it doesn't let the prop reboot the phoen if need be.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2011-05-01 20:31
    I am watching with interest, but...
    I have not time at present, and
    I don't have an android phone, at least yet.

But hey, this is an excellent job and should be creating lots of interest. Maybe the title needs "(prop to android connection)"
    edited 2011-05-02 08:16
    I'm following too. Still waiting for my 6MHz Xtals to turn-up :-(

Would you be willing to do a step-by-step guide on how to get data into/out of the Android? I admit to being completely unfamiliar with Java - it looks real scary! - so any walk-through would be mighty useful.

I'm hoping to use my Android phone as a groundstation for my heli' (one day). I'm thinking I can use it to record telemetry and upload config's and waypoints, etc.

Keep up the great work.
    edited 2011-05-02 11:34
    There's really two ways, shell and TCP shocket. The TCP socket requires having a telnet server on the phone, which is a bit cumbersone. The shell makes it very easy to send data to the prop from the phone but the opposite is a little less intutive.
  • Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2011-05-02 11:50
    Is one or more of x/y/zmodem available in the shell so files can be uploaded with error checking?

If not, is there any reason why they would not compile for android and be able to be executed?

After UPEW I am finally going to download and install the Android SDK...
    There's really two ways, shell and TCP shocket. The TCP socket requires having a telnet server on the phone, which is a bit cumbersone. The shell makes it very easy to send data to the prop from the phone but the opposite is a little less intutive.