Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
MicroSD cards — Parallax Forums

MicroSD cards

Chip CoxChip Cox Posts: 73
edited 2011-03-16 19:49 in Accessories
Well, I just spent $11 and about 3 hours learning something about MicroSD cards. All MicroSD cards are not made the same. I went up to my local Radio Shack and bought a 4 GB MicroSD card. Turns out that it was a MicroSDHC card. It has the same physical structure as a MicroSD card, but it's a high capacity card. Newer PC readers and cell phones and such can read these fine. But older readers can't read them at all. It appears that the Spinneret MicroSD card slots are of the older type and won't read / format the MicroSDHC cards. I think this is at the hardware level or in the onboard driver since it seems to be a factor in part of whether it can read FAT 32. Now, if I had a newer card reader on my PC, I could probably re-format it as a standard MicroSD format ( Fat16 instead of FAT32 ) and it would probably work ok. But not having one, the cheaper route was to just buy a new card.

Comments

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2011-03-14 12:41
    Depends on which driver you are using. Kye's driver seems to support FAT32:

http://obex.parallax.com/objects/619/

Older drivers only supported FAT16.

Chip Cox wrote: »
    Well, I just spent $11 and about 3 hours learning something about MicroSD cards. All MicroSD cards are not made the same. I went up to my local Radio Shack and bought a 4 GB MicroSD card. Turns out that it was a MicroSDHC card. It has the same physical structure as a MicroSD card, but it's a high capacity card. Newer PC readers and cell phones and such can read these fine. But older readers can't read them at all. It appears that the Spinneret MicroSD card slots are of the older type and won't read / format the MicroSDHC cards. I think this is at the hardware level or in the onboard driver since it seems to be a factor in part of whether it can read FAT 32. Now, if I had a newer card reader on my PC, I could probably re-format it as a standard MicroSD format ( Fat16 instead of FAT32 ) and it would probably work ok. But not having one, the cheaper route was to just buy a new card.
  • FariProjectFariProject Posts: 2
    edited 2011-03-16 19:49
    now, I work with SD card. I wanna make it as storage data that containing several bitmaps picture. Propeller read the bitmaps data then show it as like photo slide at VGA display.
    How can I do that..? Is there any reference that I should read first..?