Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Can't Get SB/X to Open Old File — Parallax Forums

Can't Get SB/X to Open Old File

edgellmhedgellmh Posts: 85
edited 2010-10-16 09:19 in General Discussion
I have moved to using a new computer. When I try to open my old SB/X .sbx files I get a black box that flashes on the screen and then it disappears. SB/X does not come on.

marshall edgell

Comments

• SXleeSXlee Posts: 47
    edited 2010-10-11 17:19
    edgellmh wrote: »
    I have moved to using a new computer. When I try to open my old SB/X .sbx files I get a black box that flashes on the screen and then it disappears. SB/X does not come on.

marshall edgell

Did you try right clicking on the *.sbx file, and click the open with
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2010-10-11 18:20

marshall edgell

When you moved to a new computer did you just copy the SX Key software or did you re-install SX Key software and the SX/B compiler? If so did you install the latest version?

Can you start SX/B and try creating a blank program from one of the examples in the help file to see if SX/B is working?

The .SXB file should just be an ASCII file and you should be able to view it in NOTEPAD or WORDPAD to see if the file at least looks ok.

Did you move to a new computer for more speed or because the old system was trashed by a virus, etc? If there was a virus it may have trashed some of your files.

Robert
  • edgellmhedgellmh Posts: 85
    edited 2010-10-12 18:12
    I downloaded new versions of SB/X v 2.0 and SX Key v 3.3.0. If I double click on SXB.exe a black box opens and tells me I have to specify a file that it should open. My problem is not my old files but being able to open any .sxb file. No virus problems in the old or new computer. I was running out of hard drive room.

Right clicking on an .sbx example file gives a black box that looks like its getting code but it vanishes within a few seconds.

marshall
    edited 2010-10-12 19:18
    Right clicking on an .sbx example file gives a black box that looks like its getting code but it vanishes within a few seconds.

marshall

What OS do you have, in win, right clicking on a file gives you a menu.
  • ZootZoot Posts: 2,227
    edited 2010-10-12 21:06
    I didn't know there were .sbx file types.

Are these really, or should they be, ".sxb" files?
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2010-10-13 00:23
    New computer? Does that mean a new OS? Windows 7 requires you to associate file extensions with software applications. And if you do it wrong, you have to remove the wrong associations and do it again.

It is all pretty straight forward, but you have to start by locating a Help Screen for file extension assignments in order find out what is where on the new OS.
  • edgellmhedgellmh Posts: 85
    edited 2010-10-16 08:18
    I made the file associations in Win 7 between my .sxb code files and the sxb.exe complier as suggested but get the same behavior, a black box showing code being loaded and then the box disappears.

marshall
    edited 2010-10-16 09:19
    Can you run the SX Key software and the SX/B compiler?, from ('start'/'All programs'/'SX'), menu.