Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PE-Basic Version 0.16 July 11, 2011 - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

PE-Basic Version 0.16 July 11, 2011

Comments

• BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2011-01-10 03:59
    Sorry, That is me being lazy. It is still a work in progress, but feel free to do whatever you want with it.

Bean
    edited 2011-01-12 14:32
    I have posted version 0.06 in the first post.

I have fixes several bugs, and now allow "IF...THEN commands" instead of just "IF...THEN line#"
    Also you can use ' to put comments after commands.

Yet to do:
    Allow variable names instead of single letters
    Better expression evaluation with precidence.
    Allow OR and AND in IF commands.
    Text based instead of graphic based TV (will free alot of memory, and be faster).
    Color TV text.
    Support CAPS-LOCK on keyboard

Comment welcome.

Bean
    edited 2011-02-01 15:24
    I have posted version 0.07 in the first post.

Connect a PS/2 keyboard and NTSC monitor to a demo board and try this demo program to see the speed of "Embedded Basic".
    1 CONT
    10 CLS
    20 PLOT 0,0,1
    30 FOR a=1 TO 2000:LINE RND 255, RND 191, 1:NEXT a
    40 FOR a=1 TO 2000:LINE RND 255, RND 191, 0:NEXT a
    50 GOTO 30

I'm not crazy about the atari font, but it's better than the one I had on hand.

Comments welcome...

P.S. The "1 CONT" line makes the program auto-run at startup if you SAVE it.

P.P.S. Press the ESC key to stop the program.

Bean
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2011-02-01 16:50
    Bean
    '
    Just caught your post,Can't wait to try it.
  • Dr_AculaDr_Acula Posts: 5,484
    edited 2011-02-01 17:02
    to do...Better expression evaluation with precidence.

Mike Green posted something very interesting on post #6. Bodmas is pretty important. I think Mike Green's example is similar to this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shunting_yard_algorithm and there is a code example there in C so it should be possible to convert that to Basic. As long as your caffeine levels are not sub-therapeutic...
  • RonPRonP Posts: 384
    edited 2011-02-01 18:24
    Bean,

Very Cool. :cool: And very fast. I need to find some more programing examples for this kind of Basic. Off to search the Web.

Thanks for all your efforts

-Ron
    edited 2011-02-02 04:31
    Dr_Acula,
    Thanks for the link. I'll check it out. Is this the method Mike Green uses for FemtoBasic ?

After I get a bit further along, I'll make some much needed documentation.

Todo:
    Arrays
    Expression Evaluator (right now is strictly left to right)
    Color video - Maybe TV & VGA at the same time ???
    I'd love to support SD cards, but I don't think I'll have near enough memory to do that.

Oh, here is cool speed test program.
    10 start=CNT
    20 FOR a=1 TO 10000
    30 NEXT a
    40 PRINT CNT-start/80000;" milliseconds"
    50 PRINT "for 10,000 FOR..NEXT loops."

Bean
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2011-02-02 05:03
    Bean wrote: »
    Todo:
    Expression Evaluator (right now is strictly left to right)
    How does PropBasic handle expression evaluation? Is it also strictly left-to-right?
    edited 2011-02-02 05:14
    PropBasic only allow one expression per line. And ONLY during assignment to a variable.
    In this case Embedded Basic is a vast improvement as expressions can be used most anywhere a value is needed.

Oh and here is an explaination of the PIN command for the demo board.
    10 OUTPUT 23..16
    20 FOR a=0 TO 255
    30 PIN 23..16,a
    40 PAUSE 100
    50 NEXT a
    60 GOTO 20

You can also do:
    varname = PIN 23..16

Bean
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2011-02-02 05:24
    PropBasic only allow one expression per line. And ONLY during assignment to a variable.
    In this case Embedded Basic is a vast improvement as expressions can be used most anywhere a value is needed.
    That's interesting. You decided to implement the most advanced parsing in the most constrained context, on the Propeller! I guess it should be pretty easy to move it back to PropBasic once you've got it worked out in Embedded Basic. I wrote a simple Basic in C that works with ZOG on the C3. It is also an embedded basic in that you can type in programs on the C3 and run them. It contains an expression parser that generates a parse tree in memory and then generates bytecodes from the parse tree. I've attached it in case you're interested in looking at how expression parsing is done. It's fairly straight forward recursive descent but it does do constant folding along the way.

David
  • TumblerTumbler Posts: 323
    edited 2011-02-02 20:30
    Nice work Bean,

But what does the poke commands do? writing values to the upper 32K eeprom?
    edited 2011-02-03 04:12
    Tumbler,
    POKE does the same thing as WRBYTE it writes to RAM, not EEPROM.
    Among other things it will be useful to change the character bitmaps once I get that far along.

Bean
  • RiJoRiRiJoRi Posts: 157
    edited 2011-02-04 09:49
    Egad! The more things change...

I was just looking at my "old-stuff-I-just-can't-bear-to-get-rid-of" collection, and came across a BASICON board.It had an interpreted BASIC in the National Semi. 8073* chip, and something like 8K of ROM, 8K of RAM, and an 8255(?) I/O chip. Programming was via a plain old ASCII terminal. I remember using a Radio Shack Model 100 as the terminal.

I drop by here, and what do I see?? :D

Bean -- Have you seen Jack Crenshaw's "Let's Build a Compiler" tutorial? It's free, it's on the 'Net, but it is incomplete in that he did not get to strings. (He also tells you how to make an interpreter.) The reason I'm asking is because the compiler he designed did not need an operator stack. Unfortunately, I do not remember the details...

--Rich

* Nat Semi denies all knowledge of the 8073!
    edited 2011-02-04 12:51
    I just updated the first post with the latest version 0.08. This version has a full expression evaluator.

I have added a system variable CHARS that points to the character bitmap table. The first character bitmap is space. POKEB CHARS,255 will change the top line of the space character to a solid line.

So get your demo board, a PS/2 keyboard and a TV and try it out.

Question welcomed...

P.S. I just realised that the code won't compile for terminal use because of the CHARS system variable. I'll get that fixed in the next release. You can just change the line "__param1 = GETADDR TV_Font" to "__param1 = 0" and then it will compile for serial terminal use.

Bean
  • TumblerTumbler Posts: 323
    edited 2011-02-05 02:13
    Bean,

Very nice one. but i miss a screen bitmap. To get a char from the screen, or to show an info window or something.
    edited 2011-02-05 08:44
    I uploaded version 0.09 with a bunch of fixes.

Tumbler,
    The final version will not be a bitmapped screen. It takes too much memory. I've had to reduce the maximum basic code size to 4K to get this to fit.

Right now it has PLOT and LINE, but those will go away because Potatohead is working on a color tile based driver. So there will be color and redefinable character bitmaps.

And the code right now is not optimized in any way. I just wanted to get it working first. That will no doubt free up some space too. I want to allow at least 8K for the basic program.

When the Parallax WiFi module comes out I'd like to port "embedded basic" to the S2 robot using telnet as the interface. (Can android tables do telnet ???). Also the Spinneret might be a good choice to. It would be cool to have a module that you could program from anywhere in the world via telnet.

Bean
  • Marc71Marc71 Posts: 14
    edited 2011-02-05 09:17
    error.jpg
    Hi Bean!
    sorry for the stupid question, but when I launch the program I get this error!

Andress is out of range

Marc71
    1024 x 640 - 213K
  • John AbshierJohn Abshier Posts: 1,116
    edited 2011-02-05 09:26
    I have see Android telnet clients. I don't know if the Parallax SiFi module is a server or client.

John Abshier
    edited 2011-02-05 17:24
    Marc71,
    You need to use BST to compile it. The PropTool doesn't support LMM code generation. At least I think that is what the problem is...

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?118611-Download-PropBASIC-here...-00.01.04

Bean
  • kuronekokuroneko Posts: 3,623
    edited 2011-02-05 17:57
    You need to use BST to compile it. The PropTool doesn't support LMM code generation. At least I think that is what the problem is...
    Yup, that's the issue here. __DO_12 is supposed to go to $1F7 which goes against the hard-wired $1F0 limit. There is one way of side-stepping that but it's hardly worth the trouble, i.e. if you reference labels relative to here ($) then even PropTool is happy. For this particular line it would read
    long    ($ - 4) * 4

edited 2011-02-09 12:43
    If you want to try Embedded BASIC I now have it running on the spinneret as a telnet application.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?129444-Contest-Entry-Spinneret-Embedded-BASIC

Bean
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2011-02-13 12:53
    Great Work Bean.
    '
    I can't believe how fast it is!
    '
    This is what the C3 needed. I'll have to get one.
    '
    Works great on the Spinneret Too!
    '
    All I can say is " Brilliant "
    '
    This is what us BASIC guys are after, and have been looking for.
    '
    I hope Parallax is paying attention here!!!!
    '
    '
    EDIT yes parallax is paying attention to PropBasic. Feb.2011 Nut&Volts Parallax S2 advertisement, lists PropBasic as third party tool for the Propeller S2
    '
    Were getting closer.
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2011-02-18 08:16
    I ran Embedded BASIC, which has the screen dated Feb 5,2011. However, on the small Parallax TV, the characters are very tiny and not easy to read. I looked for another version of Embedded BASIC that would have larger TV characters in this thread but did not find it. I also ran the binary. The binary enbeddedBasic_0_12.binary has even smaller tiny black characters on blue screen impossible to read. Is there a version with larger TV characters yet retains the latest version commands?
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,253
    edited 2011-02-18 08:24
    I'm sure Bean could code up the 20, 32, or 40 column display modes possible.

For what it's worth, using white on blue will render much better. Input "FCOLOR 15" right away, and see if that doesn't help some. I've not used the little Parallax TV. Is the LCD ~300 pixel resolution, or higher. If it's ~300 or so, we need the 32, or 40 column mode.
    edited 2011-02-18 10:07
    potatohead wrote: »
    I'm sure Bean could code up the 20, 32, or 40 column display modes possible.
    For what it's worth, using white on blue will render much better. Input "FCOLOR 15" right away, and see if that doesn't help some. I've not used the little Parallax TV. Is the LCD ~300 pixel resolution, or higher. If it's ~300 or so, we need the 32, or 40 column mode.
    The cute little TV display is 240 x 320. There are 32 tiny numbers that fit across one horizontal line in EmbeddedBasic. Perhaps these would be more readable if their vertical height was greater. The FCOLOR 15 was entered as a command and as a run program statement and did nothing.
  • RonPRonP Posts: 384
    edited 2011-02-18 10:28
    Humanoido,

Did you enter fcolor 15 alone? No line number is not needed, not sure how you did it.

-Ron
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2011-02-18 11:54
    Bean, I'll probably be interested in an external memory version of this and/or PropBasic.

How hard would it be to support separate code and data if that is necessary? SDRAM would not need separate code/data but an EEPROM or other "read-only" code solutions would need them separated.
    edited 2011-02-18 18:41
    RonP wrote: »
    Humanoido,
    Did you enter fcolor 15 alone? No line number is not needed, not sure how you did it.
    -Ron
    Ron, yes it was entered alone. No effect. The FCOLOR 15 was entered as a command and as a run program statement and did nothing. I'll take another look at it today.
    edited 2011-02-18 18:46
    Here's some views of the screen.
    The photos make the characters look larger than they actually appear.
    Definitely too small for any useful work.. and not sure why it has artifacts.
    Hope this has a fix as Embedded Basic is otherwise working excellent.

attachment.php?attachmentid=78456&d=1298083340
    The binary load has a screen that is totally unusable on the Parallax TV

attachment.php?attachmentid=78458&d=1298083395
    Almost a microscope view, artifacts appear to make the screen difficult to interpret

attachment.php?attachmentid=78457&d=1298083367
    Photo is larger scale than real life. Real life characters are difficult to see. Shows artifacts across
    the screen.
    490 x 349 - 51K
    632 x 420 - 56K
    699 x 530 - 145K
  • SeekerSeeker Posts: 58
    edited 2011-02-18 19:16
    jazzed wrote: »
    Bean, I'll probably be interested in an external memory version of this and/or PropBasic.

How hard would it be to support separate code and data if that is necessary? SDRAM would not need separate code/data but an EEPROM or other "read-only" code solutions would need them separated.

I am trying to do something along these lines... but I am still in the learning phase so progress has been slow. I get as big of a rush from learning as I get from doing. :)

My goal is to use an SD card to run multiple PropBasic or Embedded Basic programs in sequence... or as needed based on user input. At this point I am totally destroying Kye's SD interface and its offspring KyeDOS... and trying to wrap a PropBasic/Embedded Basic program(s) around it. If I knew more it might be easier. But is a great learning experience, and a lot of fun. If anyone has tried this (with success) I would love to know the details.