Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
External oscillator problem — Parallax Forums

External oscillator problem

ZamuelZamuel Posts: 7
edited 2010-05-13 11:40 in General Discussion
I have a design there I'm using a SX28 to generate RGB and sync signals to a monitor and I'm using a 64MHz oscillator for it. It works, but then I try to connect anything else to the oscillator (I need other struff to be in sync with the SX so using the same oscillator is a must) the monitor pic start to flicker and it looks like the sync and everything is totaly "random". I know from another project that it was impossible to connect a oscillator directly to the SX. It was ok then I used oscillators up to 20-30MHz but beyond that I had to use a buffer after the oscillator to get the SX to work at all. I tried the same here and took the oscillator output to a 74HC04 just to buffer it and it works for the SX then it's alone, but if I connect anything else to it, it get's all screwed up. I have tried to use more buffers for the other parts that need the oscillator, but I can't see any difference.
I don't know what to do and why is the SX so sensitive? It seems like the input frequency becomes "random" and not 64MHz then I connect other stuff to it.