Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Javelin Uart Levels (TTL or RS232) ?? — Parallax Forums

Javelin Uart Levels (TTL or RS232) ??

Istha PowronIstha Powron Posts: 74
edited 2010-04-12 12:01 in General Discussion
Greetings,

I am using a Javelin to read a GPS, a compass, an altimiter and an artificial horizon and then combine the data into a single RS232 stream........

1) The compass is an Ocean Server model and has RS232 output at TTL levels. The Javelin can not read it directly, I have to use a MAX232 chip to do the conversion to full RS232 levels. Does that sound right??

2) The Altimiter is an I2C device which is being read by a BS2px24. The BS2px24 then outputs the data by SEROUT. I send the SEROUT stream to a Javelin UART. The Javelin can not read the stream either with or without voltage conversion. However, when I connect a serial LCD display to the BS2px output, it reads and displays without a problem.

3) The gps is a Parallax GPS and the Javelin can read its TTL stream without any problems.

What are the voltage levels for UART meant to be on the Javelin???

Any ideas on what is going on???

Thank's,

Istha

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

The robot is going to lose. Not by much. But when the final score is tallied, flesh and blood will beat the damn monster.
Adam Smith

Comments

• Peter VerkaikPeter Verkaik Posts: 3,956
    edited 2010-04-12 08:26
    The javelin uses TTL level signals (0 and 5V) so if your devices use TTL levels
    you must not use a voltage converter like max232.
    If there appears to be no communication then either the baudrate is wrong
    or perhaps the device requires handshake signals.

regards peter
  • Istha PowronIstha Powron Posts: 74
    edited 2010-04-12 12:01
    Peter,

Those were my thoughts. However, the Javelin would not read the compass until I had stepped the levels up to RS232. It is not reading directly from the BS2px, so I am about to run those signals through a MAX232 and see what happens.

There is no problem with baudrate or handshaking.

I'll let you know.

Istha

PS; I was sorry to see the end of life notice for the Javelin. It has been a great solution for a lot of unique control situations I have encountered.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

The robot is going to lose. Not by much. But when the final score is tallied, flesh and blood will beat the damn monster.
    Adam Smith