Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
MAX7456 - Video Overlay IC — Parallax Forums

MAX7456 - Video Overlay IC

JomsJoms Posts: 279
edited 2009-08-31 20:21 in General Discussion
I am wondering if anyone has used this?· I have been looking over the internet and it looks like a good IC for my application, but I can't seem to find how to interface the serial data to it.· Does anyone have any example code of it working with a stamp/prop, and or a diagram?

I am actually trying to overlay the same time/date text on 4 different video sources.· I am wondering if this IC will work or if I would be better using a Prop with Hitt Consulting's object.· I would need 4 seperate sync seperators then...

Thanks in advance for any help or advice...

Comments

• TimmooreTimmoore Posts: 1,031
    edited 2009-08-29 03:42
    http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=9168 here is schmatic and example code for a atmega
  • JomsJoms Posts: 279
    edited 2009-08-29 18:57
    I did find that in one of my searches.· It looks a lot like what I have in mind.· However, I am not familier with the Atmega code...· I did download the sample code and didn't have the right program to run it.

My main concern is being able to control it with serial commands.· I might be better off using a setup like Hitt Consultings Overlay for the prop.· I am looking into doing four channels of overlay with the prop.· Just thought this IC would clean everything up a bit...
  • hinvhinv Posts: 1,252
    edited 2009-08-30 04:12
    With the prop, you may be able to do all 4 channels in one prop. That sound's cleaner to me than 4 of MAX7456 chips.

Doug
  • Mike_GTNMike_GTN Posts: 106
    edited 2009-08-30 14:38
    Hi Joms,

Purely on a Basic (Swordfish & Bascom) coding level the following might provide an easier understanding of the SPI chip interface.

http://www.sfcompiler.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1050

http://evertdekker.com/Joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=69&Itemid=84

What did not quite understand was the requirement to produce four seperate outputs as in time & date. Would a commercial quad video unit not already do this for less money? I think would be quite hard pressed to get four video outputs from the Propeller using the Hitt arrangement as stands. Would be great to hear is doable though.

Have done a few Propeller based video switch designs, mainly Matrix stuff using either Maxim or Intersil parts and was interested in the MAX7456 to provide downstream captions on sources. Still a work in progress however for me.

Mike.
  • JomsJoms Posts: 279
    edited 2009-08-31 20:21
    Great... Thanks for the replys...

I am making a quad type device for a small security setup, however, I don't want to actually quad the video's together. I did some basic planning using Bean's object and thought that one stamp would be able to do 4 channels, I would just need 4 sync seperator IC's. I would also need to figure out how to modify the assembly part of the code to look at different pins for each channel.

I think I would need 5 cogs just to do the video work, one for the bitmap drawing, then four (1 per channel) for the actual video overlay. I would also be using one cog for the I2C to talk to a RTC IC. The 7th cog would be used for the main program, basically looking at the rtc ic and updating each of the overlays every second.

Is this too much to expect, or should I start on this build? It is hard for me to breadboard as I am out of DIP propellers until more come into stock in November. I think I would just end up building this circuit with surface mount items, and hope I don't have to make too many modifications...

Any thoughts?
  • Dear all
    can you guys send me your MAX 7456 code on rkj2206@gmail.com
  • MikeDYurMikeDYur Posts: 2,176
    edited 2016-12-04 15:03
    I have a use for the MAX7456, but I haven't got past the solder stage. Still lacking the proper tip for the iron.

EDIT: Video Overlay never seems to be a hot topic.

http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/164503/video-overlay
    2100 x 1485 - 354K
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2016-12-04 16:24
    Mike,

I use the same soldering tip for all my soldering.

I don't try to solder the individual leads on these fine pitched parts, I just let the pins bridge together and use solder wick to soak up the excess. There are a bunch of example videos online. I followed some instructions I found on Sparkfun. I'll try to find the tutorial and add a link.

79262.jpg

Edit: Here's the tutorial I followed to learn to solder surface mount parts. I should add this technique can kill chips with too much heat. I've killed a few Propeller chips trying to suck the solder out between pins. Cluso99 once listed some suggestions on doing surface mount work. I'll add a link to his suggestions soon. He uses a fine tipped soldering iron. While my caveman approach often works okay, if you have an expensive part, you're probably better off using Cluso99's technique.

Edit: Here's a link to soldering suggestions made by Cluso99.
  • I agree with Duane, TSSOP-28 are very easy to solder with many tips. Just have flux and Solder Wick handy. Easy Peasy.
  • MikeDYurMikeDYur Posts: 2,176
    edited 2016-12-04 16:30
    @Duane, please dont bother about the videos, I have watched a few, enough to feel comfortable with it. I wasn't going to try the solder wick method till I had some good stuff, what I have from RS isn't dependable. Thanks

EDIT: The method I was going to go with was the flux/ solder bubble and can't remember the name of the tip now.

EDIT2: I will try the RS wick, it's all about having the iron hot enough.

Mike
  • MikeDYur wrote: »
    I wasn't going to try the solder wick method till I had some good stuff, what I have from RS isn't dependable.

RS used to sell good solder wick but the last few spools I purchased from RS repelled solder more than normal wire.

I'm pretty sure Sparkfun sells some good solder wick. The good wick is often a lot more expensive than the bad stuff.

• Duane Degn wrote: »
    RS used to sell good solder wick but the last few spools I purchased from RS repelled solder more than normal wire.

I'm pretty sure Sparkfun sells some good solder wick. The good wick is often a lot more expensive than the bad stuff.

Thanks for reaffirming that before I broke out in a cold sweat when things went south.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,250
    Can't go wrong with the BFT method of soldering. Wick away, Dixieland!