Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
GPS: PMB-248 vs Parallax GPS Receiver Module — Parallax Forums

GPS: PMB-248 vs Parallax GPS Receiver Module

CounterRotatingPropsCounterRotatingProps Posts: 1,132
edited 2009-05-31 17:21 in Accessories
Did some searching (and came across the posts about interfacing to PC's etc)

but still am not certain·IF·both POLSTAR's on board the two versions are the same, do they both use·Sony's CXD2951GA-4 ?

I just got the PMB, but not more expensive Parallax version --- I do understand that the later does some stuff for you. (Read J.Williams,·N.V.·Hacking the GPS -it helps.)

Guess what I'm really searching for is how much GPS code here I can grab and use on the dumber version.· I'm in the learning how it ticks mode.

thanks all,
- Howard

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.

Post Edited (CounterRotatingProps) : 5/28/2009 3:38:37 PM GMT

Comments

• GeorgeLGeorgeL Posts: 131
    edited 2009-05-29 04:49
    Its rather suprising, how many people dont notice the HUGE guide I wrote on this...
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=807139

If you have any questions on it, please post there, so more poeople will notice it, making it even more useful [noparse]:)[/noparse]
  • CounterRotatingPropsCounterRotatingProps Posts: 1,132
    edited 2009-05-29 21:35
    George,

thanks for posting the link... before I started this thread, I did a search - and·I had·already read your excellent explainer top to bottom twice -·and will use some of your code, translated to the SX.

However,·as you end that thread with:

> The Polstar is the "Parralax GPS Module" with a SX microcontroller as far as I remember· [noparse][[/noparse]my emphasis]

And earlier in the thread,·someone said:

> The author of the original BS2 code did not indicate if he was using the original Parallax GPS or some other GPS.
    > The code was written before the Polstar PMB-248 became available. [noparse][[/noparse]again, my emphasis]

I was uncertain if they both are the same device, sans the SX.

Don't mean to pick a nit here, but I felt I had to reply this way as you were amazed, when I for one had found your post. (Thanks again for that smile.gif - it is helpful.)

It reminds me of a question I heard an electrician say: "is that 220 on the same [noparse][[/noparse]phase] leg of this thing,·or not?"
    To which is coworker replied, "uh, who cares, lets just hook it up and flip on the breakers."· skull.gif

My question, though highly specific, still stands unanswered.·

cheers,
    Howard in Florida
    ~~~~~~~~~~

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • GeorgeLGeorgeL Posts: 131
    edited 2009-05-31 01:40
    Heres some good news: The "Parallax GPS" is the 248 with an SX chip. You can read all about that here:

http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/cols/nv/vol7/col/NV139.pdf

also attached is a guide that I based my code off.

Hope this answers your question, Im really tired, so I might have missed something.
  • CounterRotatingPropsCounterRotatingProps Posts: 1,132
    edited 2009-05-31 17:21
    Informative follow up, George --- I will dl those items --- and thanks too for posting when you're tired out --- I do appreciate the extra effort!
    - H

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔