Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Can clock crystals be used as ultrasonic sensors? — Parallax Forums

Can clock crystals be used as ultrasonic sensors?

ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
edited 2009-05-10 02:25 in Accessories
Sorry if this seems like an idiotic question, but I'm wondering if the kind of crystal used for running clocks might also be hooked up "in reverse" to sense a mechanical vibration at about the same Hz rating as the crystal. I suppose there is the issue of mechanical coupling of vibration to the crystal itself, but what of the general concept?

thanks, oh gurus,
Mark

smile.gif

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-05-03 03:30
    I don't think this would work very well. A timekeeping crystal is designed to mechanically isolate the crystal from the case and leads as much as possible for two reasons:

1) You don't want external vibrations to throw off the timekeeping function

2) Coupling of the crystal to the case or leads results in the loss of energy and these crystals are intended to work using as little energy as possible.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2009-05-03 05:04
    You can buy piezo sensors that work quite well for detecting vibration and impacts.

Leon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Amateur radio callsign: G1HSM
    Suzuki SV1000S motorcycle
  • ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2009-05-03 05:08
    Hi Mike,

Yes, I can see your point about the crystal being isolated by design. I suspected that would be the case (no pun intended). However, I wonder what would happen if I could gently remove the casing. I suppose that because these types of crystals are designed to USE very little energy, they would also GENERATE very little energy if operated "in reverse" (trying to sense their piezoelectric effect). I'm pondering the possibility of sensing acoustic emissions in the 1MHz to 5MHz range, and it looks like off-the-shelf sensors of this sort are pretty pricey, so I am looking for a klugey miserly way of approaching the problem, at least for prototype tests. Ultimately, I'd like to use it for sensing such acoustic emissions in a fluid, so the thing would have to be coupled using silicone oil or something, and I'm sure that would REALLY knock the resonance off by a mile, perhaps even dampen it so badly as to render any output totally undetectable.

Now I'm wondering about those piezo films. I wonder if they can pick up signals in the MHz range when sunk in a few inches of water.

Hey, thanks as always for sharing the wisdom!

Mark

smile.gif
    edited 2009-05-03 05:12
    Leon said...
    You can buy piezo sensors that work quite well for detecting vibration and impacts.

Leon

Thanks, Leon,
    but how cheap do you think can they go? Is there a homebrew technique for working up raw piezo materials? Is that do-able for an amateur? Most of the acoustic emission sensors I've seen on the internet seem to start out at several hundred dollars. My life's dream is to turn a 40 cent clock crystal into an awesome acoustic sensor. Would that be an exercise in futility?

thanks,
    Mark
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2009-05-03 13:42
    The Parallax Piezo Vibra Film Tab Mass would be a good sensor to experiment with. It can detect underwater waves, eddies and currents, but make the contacts waterproof. An addition to the underwater sensor, a shape fan will increase the sensitivity.

As far as your idea, I think you should try it and determine if the results are suitable for your apps. I've made homebrew chips for some time now and most are successful. I think you may have something new, or at least can spin off some new technology from the extended experimentation. Let us know your results.

humanoido

Post Edited (humanoido) : 5/3/2009 1:49:49 PM GMT
    edited 2009-05-03 14:38
    ElectricAye,
    "exercise in futility" are pretty strong words. Timekeeping crystals are delicate and not designed for this use. The question is what are your skills and what is your knowledge base. Handling mechanical forces in the 1MHz to 5MHz range is difficult because of the frequency involved. What do you know about materials normally used for this sort of application? What do you know about the natural movement and resonances of crystals used for timekeeping?

Amateur radio operators used to grind their own crystals back when most transmitters were crystal controlled. See if you can find an old book or old magazine article (like in QST) on the subject. Ask around at any local amateur radio club.

I don't think you're going to find someone to hand this sort of project to you on a platter. You're going to have to do some research and you're going to have to do some experimentation based on what you learn. Do you have a local university? Talk to their engineering department, maybe their physics department. You may find someone with experience working with ultrasonics ... not commercially made equipment.

Post Edited (Mike Green) : 5/3/2009 2:45:05 PM GMT
    edited 2009-05-03 15:16
    Mike Green said...
    ...The question is what are your skills and what is your knowledge base. Handling mechanical forces in the 1MHz to 5MHz range is difficult because of the frequency involved. What do you know about materials normally used for this sort of application? What do you know about the natural movement and resonances of crystals used for timekeeping?...

Thanks, Humanoido and Mike,

The answer to your questions about my skills and knowledge is, as Kurt Vonnegut might've put it: I know doodly squat. Which is why I was laying the question at the feet of the Masters here. The more I think about your answers, the more I suspect hacking a crystal would be a fool's errand. It would probably be better to attempt a homebrew, browse through expired patents, etc. Or to just troll for used sensors.

As for using the Vibra Film Tab, it looks like that, with or without a mass, its resonant frequency is far, far below the MHz range.

thanks again,
    Mark
    edited 2009-05-03 18:40
    Where on earth is your MHz vibration coming from?

Leon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,547
    edited 2009-05-03 19:18
    ElectricAye,

There is one method that I can think of that goes along the lines of an FM room bug. You simply have a Coil/Capacitor "tuned" at the frequency that you want to transmit; only the capacitor doubles and performs as the Microphone. A secondary nearby transmitter (or long distance directional transmitter) at the 3rd overtone provides the energy for the L/C "room bug". This is the only thing I can think of at the frequencies of interest that might do what you are wanting.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2009-05-03 22:31
    Leon said...
    Where on earth is your MHz vibration coming from?

Leon

The science doods who asked me about making a detector for this seem to think that it might be possible to use it for acoustic detection of some sort of radiation. According to them, a nuclear particle hits their fancy fluid, the fluid squeals, and a "super-tiny microphone" picks up the squeak. Um, I don't know anything about it beyond that. The problem I see about using off-the-shelf sensors is that they appear to be "big" and I doubt the kind of localized squeak they are talking about would be picked up by something designed for non-destructive testing, etc. So a tiny piezo sensor brought to mind a clock crystal.

To Beau,
    hey, that room bug thing sounds like what the Russkies planted in the concrete of the USA embassy in Moscow a couple decades ago. Is that where you heard about it? Um, and would you mind leaning toward the flower pot and speaking a little louder this time when you answer my questions?

tongue.gif
    edited 2009-05-03 23:09
    Ahh! It's the old "going too fast, hit a patch of ice and flipped" depositing all that extra energy in the fancy fluid which causes instantaneous vaporization of tiny bits of the fluid to form bubbles that immediately collapse with immense force causing the "squeals".

You need really good sensors for this kind of subtle stuff, not some kludged "maybe it'll work and maybe it won't". I'm thinking of the sensors used in medical ultrasound. Some of these use the frequency range you're talking about. Do some investigating. Talk to the engineering department of your local hospitals. They may have or may occasionally come across damaged units that they can't use, but might work for your project.
    edited 2009-05-04 02:44
    Mike Green said...
    ...instantaneous vaporization of tiny bits of the fluid to form bubbles that immediately collapse with immense force...

They made it sound like the molecules themselves rattle around and sing when hit. I think it's a suspension of some sort, maybe little crystals in a viscous goo. So I'm not sure about the cavitation/collapse aspect of this. They aren't answering all of my questions. I like your idea of looking for medical sensors, but if the molecular "ping" is quite localized (occurring at nanoscale???) wouldn't a big ole bulbous sensor simply not detect the ping due to its relatively outlandish size? It seems to me that unless the sensor is very small, thermal noise, etc. might just overwhelm what they're looking for. I really don't have a feel for such things. Also what I'm not certain about - maybe detecting a ping doesn't actually need a MHz response. Maybe I just need something that would detect an acoustic energy burst at a tiny level for a short amount of time???

thanks always for your inputs,
    Mark

smile.gif
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,547
    edited 2009-05-04 03:59
    ElectricAye,

"hey, that room bug thing sounds like what the Russkies planted in the concrete of the USA embassy in Moscow a couple decades ago. Is that where you heard about it? Um, and would you mind leaning toward the flower pot and speaking a little louder this time when you answer my questions?" - LOL!! close... my information is actually from "The Great Seal" listening device ...

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://images.absoluteastronomy.com/images/encyclopediaimages/b/bu/bugged-great-seal-open.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Thing_(listening_device)&usg=__oKFfVAx19anewGPHtsHpydd8luA=&h=210&w=280&sz=16&hl=en&start=2&um=1&tbnid=W4I9lRphZrwbyM:&tbnh=86&tbnw=114&prev=/images%3Fq%3D%2522The%2BGreat%2BSeal%2522%2BBug%26hl%3Den%26um%3D1

BTW) it's interesting to point out, that a Google search for ....· "The Great Seal" Bug· ... turns up several variants of your avatar·smilewinkgrin.gif

In principle this does work... There are many times that I have had an LC tank setup with a nearby receiver set at the same frequency of the LC, and "thumped" the coil on the LC tank only to hear the mechanical "ring" of the coil in the receiver, so the mechanical·vibration of the coil can be modulated and transmitted·in this way ... altering the capacitor as a microphone would have a similar effect.
    ·

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Beau Schwabe (Parallax)) : 5/4/2009 4:12:44 AM GMT
    edited 2009-05-04 04:06
    Pass a laser beam through the fluid and detect the modulation.

Leon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-05-04 05:42
    Leon said...
    Pass a laser beam through the fluid and detect the modulation.

Leon

To Leon,
    that's an interesting idea. What would the physical principle upon which this is based be called? Would it be a simple change of index of refraction caused by localized heating? Or is there some kind of vibronic optical phenomenon that one would look for?

And to Beau,
    that's hysterical about that Great Seal Bug gizmo. It sounds like something out of a Pink Panther movie. smile.gif

thanks to all,
    Mark
    edited 2009-05-04 09:49
    If the crystals are vibrating their different refractive index from that of the liquid should result in modulation of the laser beam.

Leon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • HotpuppyHotpuppy Posts: 10
    edited 2009-05-07 02:54
    If you are simply gearing for an inexpensive sound detector..... The piezo tabs (parallax piezo sensors) are pretty neat. They are around the size of a stamp. You could submerge one in a plastic film... i.e. laminate the thing shut with some sealant and a heat press and some plastic film.

Back to your original question.... yes in theory a crystal would react to focused sound energy. The first trick is measuring the change. A great way to test it would be with an oscilloscope. This would let you hook it up, hit it with sound and see what is happening. If you don't have an oscilloscope, parallax makes one that hooks to your computer (I think it uses a javelin chip) for $99. The second trick is interpreting the results in a meaningful way. I think you would find it easier to use other means

As for doing acoustics in water..... a sealed container (think of maybe a glass jar with a plastic lid. would act as a simple acoustic pickup. Just think to when you've been underwater in a pool and you can still hear. A microphone inside the jar would pickup sounds in the water. You also could use a partially submerged container to accomplish the same thing. If your project is more industrial, you might look into a piece of PVC pipe and simply submerge your microphone.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Callsign: NQ5I
    Interests: Robotics, Embedded Systems, Computers, Machining
    edited 2009-05-07 04:22
    To Leon,
    thanks for your idea about the modulated laser beam. It's not clear to me how that might work with a vast array of crystals all moving around randomly - seems like a possible signal to noise problem - but I'll pick other brains about your suggestion.

To Hotdog,
    thanks for the ideas. Maybe when I get bored I'll Dremel the jacket off a crystal, immerse it in silicone oil and see what happens to its ability to function. Chances are it will totally choke... but only one way to tell, I spoze.

thanks to all,

smile.gif
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,656
    edited 2009-05-10 02:10
    Mark,

Piezo film (PVDF, Polyvinylidene floride, Kynar) has modes other than the one that is implemented in the vibra-mass sensor from Parallax. Some of those are suitable in thickness mode for hydrophones up to quite high frequencies. If you want to pursue it, do download the fascinating piezo technical manual. The nice thing about piezo film is that it has a decent impedance match to fluids like water or oil. I have no idea if it would be sensitive enough for your quantum squeak detector.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com
    edited 2009-05-10 02:25
    Tracy,

Hey, this is excellent info! Thanks for the link! smile.gif

cheers,
    Mark

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Watching the world pass me by, one photon at a time.