Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller based demo to be released at Breakpoint. - Page 3 — Parallax Forums

Propeller based demo to be released at Breakpoint.

Comments

• Linus AkessonLinus Akesson Posts: 22
    edited 2009-04-13 09:49
    Coley: Make sure pins P0-P9 aren't driven from the outside. That might be the reason for your problem.
  • ColeyColey Posts: 1,108
    edited 2009-04-13 09:58
    Linus,
    thanks, I think that will be the cause of the problem, as P0 and P1 on my demoboard are faulty, I tried it on a protoboard and it was fine, thanks once again.
    Linus Akesson said...
    Coley: Make sure pins P0-P9 aren't driven from the outside. That might be the reason for your problem.
    I think this maybe gives us a clue to one of your techniques tongue.gif

Regards,

Coley

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    PropGFX - The home of the Hybrid Development System and PropGFX Lite
  • Toby SeckshundToby Seckshund Posts: 2,027
    edited 2009-04-13 10:00
    So why the strange clock figures? Or is that one of the many "little mysteries" that you are setting?
  • tonyp12tonyp12 Posts: 1,950
    edited 2009-04-13 14:15
    Video is here:
    http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=53003

Wish there was a video version that is not using a camera to record from the monitor.
    ·
  • BamseBamse Posts: 561
    edited 2009-04-13 14:28
    Amazing...

Is the demo ported to the Hydra yet ?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Living on the planet Earth might be expensive but it includes a free trip around the sun every year...

Experience level:
    [noparse][[/noparse] ] Let's connect the motor to pin 1, it's a 6V motor so it should be fine.
    [noparse][[/noparse] ] OK, I got my resistors hooked up with the LEDs.
    [noparse][[/noparse]X] I got the Motor hooked up with the H-bridge and the 555 is supplying the PWM.
    [noparse][[/noparse] ] Now, if I can only program the BOE-BOT to interface with he Flux Capacitor.
    [noparse][[/noparse] ] I dream in SX28 assembler...

/Bamse
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,254
    edited 2009-04-13 14:54
    Demoboard only for now. Linus wants us to pick at it before we see source.

And it's first place!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Propeller Wiki: Share the coolness!
    Chat in real time with other Propellerheads on IRC #propeller @ freenode.net
    Safety Tip: Life is as good as YOU think it is!
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2009-04-13 15:14
    Just to let people know, it works well on protoboard too, just no sound [noparse]:D[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    http://www.propgfx.co.uk/forum/·home of the PropGFX Lite

·
  • Toby SeckshundToby Seckshund Posts: 2,027
    edited 2009-04-13 15:37
    When it rus on my "Prop nailed to a Z80" abortion the monitor LEDs on P0..3 modulate and P4..7 less so. P10 and11 are obviously the sound. Me thinks the boy is sneeky!
  • LawsonLawson Posts: 870
    edited 2009-04-13 17:16
    Wow! Can't wait to get this running on my Protoboard. The smoke rising/free convection effect was really cool, that must've been a bear with no multiply!

Two guesses at what pins 0-9 do. First I'm guessing 2-3 of them are handshake lines for some of the video overlay modes. Second, due to the look of the dithering, I'd guess one pin is a noise source that a spare counter in any of the video cogs can count.

Lawson

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Lunch cures all problems! have you had lunch?
  • BEEPBEEP Posts: 58
    edited 2009-04-13 21:51
    Thumb Up!

When I see the tunnel Im thinking on one of 3Dmark test (2000?).
    The landscape, is it based on a voxel-rendering technique?
  • simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2009-04-13 22:32
    Hey well done Linus - 1st place yeah.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,
    Simon

www.norfolkhelicopterclub.com

You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again wink.gif
    BTW: I type as I'm thinking, so please don't take any offence at my writing style smile.gif
  • FearTurtlesFearTurtles Posts: 89
    edited 2009-04-13 23:24
    OK I downloaded the video but all I get is the sound. I'm using Windows Media play and Vista. What is the trick?
  • Timothy D. SwieterTimothy D. Swieter Posts: 1,613
    edited 2009-04-13 23:35
    Thanks for the video link - WOW! That is worth repeating. WOW!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter, E.I.
    www.brilldea.com - Prop Blade, LED Painter, RGB LEDs, 3.0" LCD Composite video display, eProto for SunSPOT
    www.tdswieter.com
  • simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2009-04-14 00:14
    @FearTurtles: I had same problem. It's because it's HD. I ended-up installing VLC www.videolan.org

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,
    Simon

www.norfolkhelicopterclub.com

You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again wink.gif
    BTW: I type as I'm thinking, so please don't take any offence at my writing style smile.gif
  • FearTurtlesFearTurtles Posts: 89
    edited 2009-04-14 11:44
    Thanks Simon, That did the trick. It seems my laptop still chokes up a little on HD but the video played.

Great Demo Linus,
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2009-04-14 13:00
  • KyeKye Posts: 2,200
    edited 2009-04-14 13:49
    Parallax should grab this video and put it up in the propeller section of their website. It may attract more customers.

Amazing demo also, I loved the part with the faces.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Nyamekye,
  • Ahle2Ahle2 Posts: 1,178
    edited 2009-04-14 14:43
    Mighty impressive !

I just ran it on my demo board, and i must say that it's fun to see effects that the OCS/ECS Amiga struggled with some 17 years ago, run in full frame rate on a chip that is smaller than my thumb nail.
    The propeller is actually about 200 times faster than an OCS/ECS Amiga ( CPU power wise )
    Add some more memory and a GPU, and the propeller should be able to do DOOM in 256 colors and full frame rate.

To Linus!
    Jag trodde att jag skulle bli f
  • AleAle Posts: 2,363
    edited 2009-04-14 14:59
    Ahle2:

To do DOOM the cog should be a bit different. The small memory and high penalty to access external memory limit its usability. btw, the code foot print of DOOM is quite big and the dataset is even bigger. I think a really cut down version rendering with all COG may produce something but only at 64 colors. Wolf 3D may be possible, though smile.gif
  • BamseBamse Posts: 561
    edited 2009-04-14 15:59
    Maybe Doom will come alive on Prop 2... wink.gif

@ Linus,
    Grattis till f
  • Ahle2Ahle2 Posts: 1,178
    edited 2009-04-14 16:13
    Of course all cogs should be used, and an external memory and a GPU should be connected to the prop using a parallel bus.
    I know there might not be enough pins, and the COG memory is likeyly to small to hold a descent PASM DOOM engine.
    But, it MIGHT just be possible with some thinkering :P

I actually made a ray casting engine some years ago, so i know that it's simple enough to fit in a COG.
  • Cole LoganCole Logan Posts: 196
    edited 2009-04-14 18:46
    I just watched the video and it is really cool I would never had thought that was possible on the PROP1

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    1986 Chevy EL Camino·· No prop yet

1984 Suzukie GS1100GK No prop yet
  • liljoentxliljoentx Posts: 25
    edited 2009-04-14 22:08
    Thanks, Linus, that is an impressive demo of the Prop!

······ http://capped.tv/playeralt.php?vid=lft-turbulence

worked great for me and even includes a nice Intro by Linus himself!

Plus, seeing it displayed on his monitor, I think gives more understanding to what he is doing.

Now to break out my demoboard and see if I can run it locally! tongue.gif

Lil'Joe
  • Timothy D. SwieterTimothy D. Swieter Posts: 1,613
    edited 2009-04-14 23:21
    Any further guesses on how it is done? I don't see an SD card in the setup, so the EEPROM must contain the images, but there is some form of processing going on for some of the procedural stuff like the smoke effect and such. What resolution do you suppose the VGA is running at?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter, E.I.
    www.brilldea.com - Prop Blade, LED Painter, RGB LEDs, 3.0" LCD Composite video display, eProto for SunSPOT
    www.tdswieter.com
  • Rob7Rob7 Posts: 275
    edited 2009-04-14 23:33
    Linus,

Great work, you are showing what the propeller can do and it is blowing my mind !
  • OwenSOwenS Posts: 173
    edited 2009-04-14 23:35
    Theres definitely compression going on since I don't even see the ASCII greet strings in the EEPROM
  • Cole LoganCole Logan Posts: 196
    edited 2009-04-14 23:52
    On my moniter it says that it is getting a 640x480 signal at 60hz

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    1986 Chevy EL Camino·· No prop yet

1984 Suzukie GS1100GK No prop yet
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2009-04-14 23:58
    Has anyone run it enough times to determine if the 1's and 0's are random?
    Perhaps these are being generated by a noisy pin or two as well?

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Visit the: The Propeller Pages @ Warranty Void.
  • localrogerlocalroger Posts: 3,451
    edited 2009-04-15 01:44
    I would suspect the 1's and 0's are images of the object code itself. The source imagery is mostly procedural starting with extremely low resolution sources; I doubt if the face bitmap source is larger than 16x16 pixels, and you can even see the square pixels that start off the smoke. And while there's no multiply there are log and antilog tables in the ROM, and you can fake a multiply by converting to log, adding, then doing antilog; I once did this myself to get polar-cartesian conversion on an Atari 2600 demo.
  • LawsonLawson Posts: 870
    edited 2009-04-15 03:31
    Timothy D. Swieter said...
    Any further guesses on how it is done? I don't see an SD card in the setup, so the EEPROM must contain the images, but there is some form of processing going on for some of the procedural stuff like the smoke effect and such. What resolution do you suppose the VGA is running at?

Got an additional clue, when I tried to load the demo to ram on my proto-board. It gave me a nice VGA screen telling me that the demo MUST be loaded to eeprom to work. My guess is this means that after the initial cogs are loaded, a table of pointers to assembly code sections is made and, hub ram is cleared to use as data space. All further re-loading of cogs happen by transferring code from the eeprom to a buffer in hub-ram, and then loading the cog form that buffer.

Further I'd expect the above system to need a house-keeping cog running all the time. Not a bad thing really, as it could also provide the noise source, other timing signals, etc.

Unless someone beats me to it, I'm thinking it'd be rather interesting to probe pins 0-9 with an oscilloscope that is triggered off of the VGA's Hsync and Vsync lines. This would confirm/refute a lot of my hot air on overlay hand-shaking lines.

Hairdryer,
    Lawson

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Lunch cures all problems! have you had lunch?