Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller with propellers - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Propeller with propellers

2»

Comments

• JasonDorieJasonDorie Posts: 1,930
    edited 2008-10-27 19:54
    Tim: That's really cool. I think I've seen a video of one of those before (the big loops under the arms look familiar). I'm thinking I might have to build two of these - One to play with autonomous flight (self levelling, compass & GPS, camera, etc) and another one to be the Wolf Spyder project that I originally started this for. Both are compelling to me, and while they're quite similar, I never really intended the Spyder to be 'self piloting', but it's a cool challenge. I haven't decided yet.

Off topic, I write a video processing app for a friend of mine who runs a night club. (http://midivid.jasondorie.com) I really liked your DMX living room lights. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Cluso - Yeah, I've pretty seriously considered using EDFs for this thing, and still might try it. They're less efficient than props, but will produce much more speed when I'm in forward flight, and have the added bonus of the protective casing around the props. I'm not sure how responsive they'll be, but I've been itching to try it. Just the thought of that high pitched jet-like whine makes me smile. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Jason

Post Edited (JasonDorie) : 10/27/2008 8:28:57 PM GMT
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    edited 2008-10-30 09:45
    @Tim: Great links. I love one of them!!!
  • simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2009-01-19 13:50
    JasonDorie said...
    I've pretty seriously considered using EDFs for this thing

I've drooled over that thought to, but then I couldn't find anywhere that had CW & CCW fans :-( If you know of any...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,
    Simon

www.norfolkhelicopterclub.com

You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again wink.gif
    BTW: I type as I'm thinking, so please don't take any offence at my writing style smile.gif
    edited 2009-02-04 08:18
    Simon,

My final design will include 'mobile' props (like an Osprey), and in that case it's trivial to use vectoring for yaw control. If I made one with EDFs it wouldn't behave any differently, though it'd probably always have a slight amount of yaw dialled in to compensate for the higher rotational torque.

Jason
  • mikedivmikediv Posts: 825
    edited 2009-03-24 21:55
    Hey Jason I ordered all the parts and built my subframe, Thaks for the info by the way, one more thing. What do you use for a remote control unit I have a few Futaba's for some monster trucks nothing serious the whole kit cost me under 150 bucks
    ·· Could use any info on which one you recommend. I also bought that 6 channel Ar controller basically I ordered everything we discussed I am also not clear on wether I need to order any extra stuff to mount the propellors
    I ended up buying a few differant sizes becuase I went with bigger motors but nothing in the doc says anyhting about mounting the propellors??
    Thanks man I will post it when I am done.
    ·
    edited 2009-05-07 08:20
    Hey Mike,

Sorry I didn't see this before - To mount the propellers to the motors you usually need a prop adaptor, but it depends on the motor (some come with them) so it's hard to say for sure.·· For the receiver, I just used whatever was around - The code I use doesn't require a specific receiver, as long as it has normal servo outputs you're good.· Keep the antenna wire away from the motors.· [noparse]:)[/noparse]

I've started modelling the final structure, and now have to work out how to build the thing, and mount the directional propellers:· http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2508658&l=4599c13ce7&id=671403972

Jason
  • cgatescgates Posts: 4
    edited 2009-05-11 23:57
    mikediv said...
    Hey Jason I ordered all the parts and built my subframe, Thaks for the info by the way, one more thing. What do you use for a remote control unit I have a few Futaba's for some monster trucks nothing serious the whole kit cost me under 150 bucks

Do NOT use a ground radio for any type of aircraft, it is against FCC rules.

Also, if someone with a ground based vehicle see's you in the air and figures,
    "heck he has an aircraft, I'm safe to switch on without checking"...well, let's say
    everyone could be ducking for cover if he's on the same channel as you.

Jason, nice job!
  • hinvhinv Posts: 1,252
    edited 2009-06-25 04:14
    Very impressive! I saw some multi thousand dollar carbon fiber quad propeller thing and thought it would be really nice to have, even to make money with(building inspections). But yours, built for a few hundred dollars! Very nice.
    How high have you flown it?

Thanks,
    Doug
    edited 2009-07-15 03:12
    I haven't flown it terribly high yet (maybe 15 to 20 feet) but I don't have a yaw gyro on it yet, and have almost no indication of where the front is, so I'm not as confident with it as I should be. I've gathered all the parts I need to make version 3 of the hardware, so I should have a new version soonish.

Jason
  • navillus5navillus5 Posts: 5
    edited 2009-07-28 03:15
    Jason -

I just saw you video - I followed the link from the Parallax page. Very nice work. I had a couple of quick questions...
    MOTORS - are you using motors designed for electric RC planes (i.e brushless) or are you using cheaper motors that can be controlled with and H-bridge type motor controller.
    REMOTE - I see that you are using a radio to control the Spyder. Is this necessary - meaning could you program the device to take-off, fly a set pattern and then land?

Dan (aka navillus5)
    edited 2009-07-29 01:20
    Dan,

The motors are indeed brushless motors bought from a hobby store that supplies them for model airplane use, and the motor controllers are as well - they're interfaced using a modified version of the Servo_32 object that outputs 8 channels at ~200Hz (instead of 32 channels at 50Hz).

The Spyder does require a radio transmitter/receiver to fly it. In its current form, the Spyder is not self-stable. I fly model helicopters and set up the Spyder to control the same way, so I probably make it look easier to fly than it actually is. With clever programming and some good accelerometers it should be possible to make it self-levelling, but I haven't gotten there yet. I'd like to achieve that to see if I can do it, but my goal in building the Spyder was to make something that flew like my helis, not something that flew itself.

There are a number of other quad-copter projects out there, including Paparazzi (http://paparazzi.enac.fr/wiki/Main_Page), MikroCopter (http://www.mikrokopter.de), and others. Those are significantly more stable, but also more expensive. Most use a combination of GPS, altimeter, accelerometers, gyros, and thermal horizon sensors to get enough data for stable flight. I've seen video of a couple of those where the pilot sets down the remote, walks over and shoves it, and the copter recovers like nothing happened.

Jason
  • noobmunchernoobmuncher Posts: 124
    edited 2009-11-10 17:31
    Jason,

I have read through your forum and I must say it is an amazing project, even prior to seeing your project featured I had been planning on working on a simular project anyhow, so when I saw your project I was incredibly pleased. I must ask though, how did you prevent it from spinning? With the gyro I am able to KNOW when it is spinning, but I don't quite understand your system that prevents your from spinning. Would you mind clarifying please?

Thank you!
    edited 2009-11-12 02:16
    The simple answer is torque.

The complicated answer is that the props are counter-rotating in horizontal or vertical pairs, but rotate in the same direction as their diagonal counterpart. The front right and rear left props spin one way, and the front left and rear right spin the other way. If I speed up a diagonal pair of props, they don't tilt the machine, but they'll torque it in the direction opposite the direction they're spinning. Slowing down the other pair of props keeps the amount of lift the same, and also increases the torque effect.

Jason
    edited 2009-11-14 22:35
    Oh okay i understand how this works then, I was just always under the impression that propellers were built to only work in one direction of rotation. I assume I was incorrect then?
  • Lab RatLab Rat Posts: 289
    edited 2009-11-19 23:27
    flying inverted now that just plane awsome DO IT lol

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Parallax posesses power beyond belief.

Believe in it.
    Visit me at
    http://jrelectromech.services.officelive.com/default.aspx
    ·
    edited 2009-11-24 11:12
    NoobMuncher - I buy the props in matched pairs where one made to rotate clockwise, and the counter-clockwise. It limits the selection somewhat, since it's harder to find props that are available as both 'normal' and 'counter-rotating'.

That's the key though - if the four props spun the same direction, their torque would sum, not cancel, and the thing would start to spin the moment it left the ground, like a helicopter without a tail rotor.

Jason
    edited 2009-11-26 00:44
    Where can I purchase propellers like these online? What should I be looking for. If possible could you send a link? : )

Thank you!
    edited 2009-12-11 19:26
    Any help with this would be appreciated, up until this post I had never really heard of this type of propeller, even though I understand the physics behind it.
  • jeff2.0jeff2.0 Posts: 24
    edited 2010-02-13 03:54
    I found this today. It's way cool.

http://www.wimp.com/thehexacopter/
    edited 2010-03-14 04:39
    Jason: Are you still here?
    If so, could you answer a few questions please...

What motors are you using?
    Are you using ESC or are you driving MOSFETs and if so, what is your configuration.

I have a TowerPro 2908GS-18T motor with 30A ESC that I was going to use for a flying wing. Do you think these would be suitable or do you have a better recommendation?

I was thinking it would be nicer to control the motor directly (via Mosfets) than to use an ESC, although this is more complex. Your thoughts?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Links to other interesting threads:

· Home of the MultiBladeProps: TriBlade,·RamBlade,·SixBlade, website
    · Single Board Computer:·3 Propeller ICs·and a·TriBladeProp board (ZiCog Z80 Emulator)
    · Prop Tools under Development or Completed (Index)
    · Emulators: CPUs Z80 etc; Micros Altair etc;· Terminals·VT100 etc; (Index) ZiCog (Z80) , MoCog (6809)·
    · Prop OS: SphinxOS·, PropDos , PropCmd··· Search the Propeller forums·(uses advanced Google search)
    My cruising website is: ·www.bluemagic.biz·· MultiBlade Props: www.cluso.bluemagic.biz
  • SzabiSzabi Posts: 58
    edited 2010-03-15 12:12
    Woow Jeff, thats awesome but quite expensive and unfortunately only commercial FW without free source mad.gif

let's put together our brains and start to build one like that with autopilot etc. and of course with free source.
    Since this is a thread for completed projects we will need to open a new one, where we can continue to develop the 8cogHexaProp wink.gif

Anybody seriously interested?
    edited 2010-03-15 19:20
    As noted, I have already opened a new thread on the Propeller Forum as I will be using a prop smilewinkgrin.gif

A QuadCopter or HexaCopter using Propeller(s) and Gyros, Accelerometers, Compass, Pressure & GPS

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=890157

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Links to other interesting threads:

· Home of the MultiBladeProps: TriBlade,·RamBlade,·SixBlade, website
    · Single Board Computer:·3 Propeller ICs·and a·TriBladeProp board (ZiCog Z80 Emulator)
    · Prop Tools under Development or Completed (Index)
    · Emulators: CPUs Z80 etc; Micros Altair etc;· Terminals·VT100 etc; (Index) ZiCog (Z80) , MoCog (6809)·
    · Prop OS: SphinxOS·, PropDos , PropCmd··· Search the Propeller forums·(uses advanced Google search)
    My cruising website is: ·www.bluemagic.biz·· MultiBlade Props: www.cluso.bluemagic.biz