Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller ROM source code HERE - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Propeller ROM source code HERE

2»

Comments

• DynamoBenDynamoBen Posts: 366
    edited 2008-02-28 20:16
    Paul Baker (Parallax) said...
    How about a Spin to ASM converter that you can feed snippets of spin code and get code equivalent assembly out? People starting out in assembler could get alot of use and understanding out of the utility. The stack can be handled the same as spin, or for additional speedup you could·specify a buffer within the cog.

I agree!!! This would really help when learning.
    Also folks who use spin can then optimize their code·by reviewing it in·PASM. Many of the PIC compiles I use work this way. I·write the code in a high level language then compile it, the compiler generates a hex file and·ASM file which I can review or tweak.

Post Edited (DynamoBen) : 2/28/2008 8:22:21 PM GMT
  • dfletchdfletch Posts: 165
    edited 2008-02-28 20:36
    BTW the parser I'm working on could support something like a Spin to ASM converter. It just builds a tree and won't care about the output. Keep an eye on the "Spin Compiler" thread. Maybe in a few days someone can start a spin-off tongue.gif project.

Cheers,

--fletch

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Join us in the Un-Official Propeller IRC channel: irc.freenode.net #propeller
    Newbies, oldies, programmers, math professors, and everyone in-between welcome!
    Propeller IRC howto
  • kevin101kevin101 Posts: 55
    edited 2008-02-28 23:36
    I completly support the idea of a compiler, as I need one for my Ubuntu Linux. I don't have much access to a windows computer (good for my health), and when I do, I cant program my prop. I doubt that the current Parallax compiler would run correctly in Wine, and even if it did, I can't get Wine due to the lack of internet.

Much appreciated,
    Kevin
  • tpw_mantpw_man Posts: 276
    edited 2008-03-01 22:12
    Can Chip verify the integrity of a complete ROM copy before I post it as completed? It is attached.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    I am 1010, so be surprised!
  • M. K. BorriM. K. Borri Posts: 279
    edited 2010-10-27 03:17
    Proably late to the party, but wow, thanks. This makes the Prop usable for a lot of projects that it was passed over in favor of an arduino for.
  • 65816581 Posts: 132
    edited 2010-10-27 04:04
    Here·are all the source codes for the executable portions of the Propeller's ROM.

The booter and interpreter·binaries·appear scrambled when the ROM is read normally, but automatically unscramble when loading into a cog. Since Hippy succeeded in reversing the scrambling pattern in response to my·challenge, I'm revealing the source codes. I·hope this will yield more progress than headaches.

Note that the executable portion of the ROM ($F004-$FFFF)·was pre-filled with longs randomly picked from the interpreter's scrambled binary before the actual code was laid in. This was a feeble measure to obscure the boundaries of the interpreter and booter codes. It was not much of a deterrent to Hippy, however, as I'm not even sure that he noticed.

Here is a map of the executable portion of the ROM:

$F004 - Interpreter binary (scrambled)
    $F800 - Booter binary (scrambled)
    $FF00 - Copyright message (ascii, 32 columns/row)
    $FF70 - Runner bytecode (Spin code which builds initial stack frames for Spin processes)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Chip Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.

Hey Chip,

So is it possible to customize it to my own needs and replace
    the original bootloader on the propeller?
  • max72max72 Posts: 1,155
    edited 2010-10-27 04:36
    @6581: Check the SpinLMM discussion...
    edited 2010-10-27 04:56
    max72 wrote: »
    @6581: Check the SpinLMM discussion...

That's what I already did. But the discussion is only about running PASM code in the same cog running SPIN code. What I mean: Can the original bootloader of the Propeller (e.g. with a bootloader which is not waiting for RX to be high, if it goes down then it tries to boot from the external I2C eeprom and shutdown on fail ) be replaced with a bootloader that only uses an external I2C eeprom to fasten the boot-up process or alternative methods for booting (e.g. of a DataFlash or SD-/MMC-Card). I know that some kind of chainloading is possible with the existing bootloader (the original bootloader might load another loader).

Another idea in my head is, that a modified version of the propeller bootloader (PNut Booter) could act as a I2C master which sends his unique (specified) identifier to another microcontroller doing the firmware allocation. This could be a quite nice option in multi-propeller system (using
    only one EEPROM or master bootstrapping device).

A possible idea would be: A master microcontroller (doesn't matter if it's a propeller) with some option of "storage" for byte-code,
    multiple propellers attached to it requesting "their" firmware by sending their unique identifier. The master microcontroller would
    silently ignore bogus request (e.g. unknown IDs, incomplete requests, etc.) and send only an ACK(nowledge) to the slave (one of the propellers).
    After that, the propeller bootloader would reply with his ACK(nowledge) byte and start to exchange the firmware with the master.
  • localrogerlocalroger Posts: 3,451
    edited 2010-10-27 05:57
    6581, the Propeller ROM is mask ROM -- its program is set in the course of etching the chip. The Prop's CMOS process doesn't permit for EEPROM cells to be fabricated. So you'll have to settle for chain loading.
  • KaosKiddKaosKidd Posts: 296
    edited 2010-10-27 06:28
    Spin may be a difficult language to write a compiler in. It's not impossible, but Spin's minimal string-handling capabilities will certainly make things awkward. However, if this can be done, a nice add-on would be a multi-threaded Spin byte-code interpreter that can run on a PC. For maximum portability, it should be written in Perl, Python, or some other thread-safe, multi-platform language (i.e. not VB6). It would be slower than Propeller-based Spin, certainly, but at least the Spin-compiler-in-Spin could run on other platforms besides the Propeller.

-Phil

Ok every one, I just found this thread and thought I'd ask...
    Has anyone come up with a SPIN emulator that will run on a windows based PC?
  • Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL)Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL) Posts: 1,720
    edited 2010-10-27 06:44
    Re: Has anyone come up with a SPIN emulator that will run on a windows based PC?

Try Gear:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?t=100380
    edited 2010-10-27 06:44
    localroger wrote: »
    6581, the Propeller ROM is mask ROM -- its program is set in the course of etching the chip. The Prop's CMOS process doesn't permit for EEPROM cells to be fabricated. So you'll have to settle for chain loading.

Okay thanks. My fault -- I tought that the Propeller has an electrically eraseable ROM (I found that info on some site) :lol:
  • KaosKiddKaosKidd Posts: 296
    edited 2010-10-27 10:42
    Re: Has anyone come up with a SPIN emulator that will run on a windows based PC?

Try Gear:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?t=100380

Thanks Bob!

Man, I sure did miss ALOT while I was away!
  • cgracey wrote: »
    Here·are all the source codes for the executable portions of the Propeller's ROM.

The booter and interpreter·binaries·appear scrambled when the ROM is read normally, but automatically unscramble when loading into a cog. Since Hippy succeeded in reversing the scrambling pattern in response to my·challenge, I'm revealing the source codes. I·hope this will yield more progress than headaches.

Note that the executable portion of the ROM ($F004-$FFFF)·was pre-filled with longs randomly picked from the interpreter's scrambled binary before the actual code was laid in. This was a feeble measure to obscure the boundaries of the interpreter and booter codes. It was not much of a deterrent to Hippy, however, as I'm not even sure that he noticed.

Here is a map of the executable portion of the ROM:

$F004 - Interpreter binary (scrambled)
    $F800 - Booter binary (scrambled)
    $FF00 - Copyright message (ascii, 32 columns/row)
    $FF70 - Runner bytecode (Spin code which builds initial stack frames for Spin processes)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Chip Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.

The links here are no good anymore. Can you repost them?
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2016-07-06 07:48
    Brett Weir wrote: »

The links here are no good anymore. Can you repost them?

and that's not all that's not here anymore either, did you see all the people that used to be active on this forum, well over half that commented are long gone. But then again these days this forum is mostly about ebay, news, P2 wunderlusts, and social posts anyway :)

btw, if you want those files I might put a copy of them in my Tachyon Dropbox in a "Spin" sub-folder.
  • Try looking P1 Verilog (P1V) threads.
    It was included with all the FPGA variants Chip released.
  • P1 Verilog open source page
    See here
  • Another permanent location: https://github.com/jacgoudsmit/P1V/tree/rel/Spin

In the unlikely event that that stops working in the future, start at https://github.com/jacgoudsmit/P1V

===Jac