PDA

View Full Version : Wheels for my Bot

SailerMan
04-20-2007, 09:00 PM
For the last few months I have been concentrating on the electronics and programming of a robot, now I'm going to start to build one.

what I need is a good source of Wheels I need them to be durable and around 4"-5" in diameter and able to hold around 10-15 lbs.

What is every one out there using?

I purchased the Track system from Lynxmotion and spent a bunch on money only to decide that I want a couple of wheels instead.

Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

Eric

Post Edited (SailerMan) : 4/20/2007 10:45:27 PM GMT

Bruce Bates
04-20-2007, 09:30 PM
Eric -

I've used these (link below) before and was quite happy with them:
http://www.herbach.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=HAR&Product_Code=TM89WHL2677

You may want to edit your message, as it now reads:

"what I need is a good source of Wheels I need them to be durable and around 4"-5" in diameter and able to hold around. "

"able to hold" what?

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Loopy Byteloose
04-22-2007, 02:04 PM
Try anyplace that sells bicycles.

Take a look at 'trainer wheels' for bicycles.
They can handle the weight and are very reasonalble in cost. If you look at industrial casters and barrow wheels, you will pay more.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
"If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········

···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan

Franklin
04-22-2007, 11:27 PM
I have a related question. Most wheels you find for lawnmowers or training wheels have bearings/bushings. How do you go about fixing them so you can use them as drive wheels? Thanks.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
- Stephen

RobotWorkshop
04-22-2007, 11:48 PM
Hello Eric,

If you want some quality wheels for your robot I would look into the different wheels from Colson. They are great wheels for use on a robot. Some of their larger wheels were used on a ton of the BattleBot robots and one of their medium wheels is used on the HERO 2000 base. I would certainly recommend them for a robot base. You can check out their offering at:

http://www.colsoncaster.com/performa-wheel-choice.html

Hope this helps,

Robert

Capt. Quirk
04-23-2007, 12:51 AM
Try some 6" GoPed tires, they have a good compound and there stock rims·are plastic and there are·all kinds of aftermarket billet rims avaliable (and Spining hub caps).

The main disadvantage is, they are not light weight.

Ken Gracey
04-23-2007, 01:59 AM
Yeah, I'm with Quirk's solution. That's what I've been using.

But I think they're more like 7".

Ken

SailerMan
04-23-2007, 06:05 AM
Thanks all, I appreciate the ideas.

jeffjohnvol
04-23-2007, 07:22 AM
Check www.mcmaster.com and put "casters" in the search criteria. They are mostly industrial supplies, but you can find all kinds of specialized equipment and they are priced very well.

Ken Gracey
04-23-2007, 07:36 AM
There's a whole nother seperate discussion on this topic, attaching the wheels to your motor shaft or drivetrain. That can be a trick in itself and often dictates the design of wheel chosen for the task.

Ken Gracey

Forrest
04-23-2007, 07:41 AM
FYI the local Home Depot has 6 inch lawn mower tires mounted on a plastic wheel for $4.99 each. They ought to support at least 15 lbs each.