port communications ?

I can't understand why I can flood a port using linux and the
kernel shows .1 percent CPU usage while windows shows
100 percent.

Thanks,

Scott

inaki
02-14-2007, 01:39 AM
It happens when the code that is managing serial communications is looping in a continuous polling, instead of waiting for the data.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

QuattroRS4
02-14-2007, 02:04 AM
If you are using a dos based prog. under 2k/XP for serial coms (e.g Qbasic) it will shoot up the CPU usage .. Have had that before - what are you using on the P.C side ?

I can knock together a VS6 or .NET 2005 app for you if you like ... just let me know what you want it to do ..

Quattro

Post Edited (QuattroRS4) : 2/13/2007 7:08:44 PM GMT

Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)
02-14-2007, 02:57 AM
If it's a DOS program that's hogging your resources, I highly recommend Tame (http://www.tamedos.com/). It not only manages your program's CPU usage, but it also allows you to customize the DOS window. Attached is a screen capture of a QuickBasic screen. The bargraph at the bottom keeps track of CPU usage. And do you recognize that font? QuickBasic never looked so good!

-Phil

QuattroRS4
02-14-2007, 03:10 AM
Phil,
I like it .... have to say I preferred the days of QB and later PowerBasic - any of the earlier embedded machines I made used PB and FreeDos ... boot time of next to nothing a small CF to IDE adapter as a HDD - made a reinstall / upgrade a 'seconds' job not like todays drawn out affairs. Has me thinking of combining props with an embedded PB P.C again.

How did it all get so messy ???

Quattro

Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)
02-14-2007, 03:27 AM
Quattro,

I know what you mean. When all I had was DOS, I felt like I had control over the machine. But my WinXP computer? It's just something that Microsoft "lets" me use on their terms. I don't even feel like I own it. :-(

-Phil