PDA

View Full Version : Home-Work Board USB problem

Tyler
02-01-2007, 07:53 AM
Hi,
I am having problems getting my mac to recognize the HomeWork Board. I am using a Serial to USB converter. Can this work?
Thank You,
Tyler

Chris Savage
02-01-2007, 08:21 AM
Tyler,

If you mean USB to Serial adapter, you must use a compatible unit and have the correct drivers for it installed. The FTDI-based units we carry seem to work for many of our Mac users. The FTDI website has the Mac drivers available. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Chris Savage
Parallax Tech Support

Tyler
02-01-2007, 08:29 AM
Thank you Chris,
I will try the FTDI site again, if it doesn't work I'll be back with mor questions.
Tyler

Tyler
02-01-2007, 12:05 PM
OK
Just so you all know and probably already do, the Radio Shack USB/Serial adapter, and the Belkin adapters do not work for Basic Stamp on a mac. I had to order a Keyspan USA-19hs. If this was a miss-guided purchase let me know.
Tyler

allanlane5
02-01-2007, 10:13 PM
Yup, the Keyspan is one of the good ones.

BudW
02-05-2007, 03:20 AM
i am having the same problem with a Dell laptop and windows xp. Do I need to find a driver also

BudW

Forrest
02-05-2007, 05:10 AM
What USB to serial adapter are you using? Many don't fully implement all the RS-232 signals and aren't compatable with the Stamp. That's why Parallax introduced their own inexpensive FTDI based USB to Serial adapter for $15.

BudW
02-06-2007, 12:02 AM
Well I dumped the Radio Shack and now am trying a Dynex but I still don't have a com port.

Mike Green
02-06-2007, 12:17 AM
I've had no problems using either Parallax's USB to serial adapters or Keyspan's High Speed adapter with MacBS2 to program Stamps. They also work with either Guest PC and Windows on a PowerBook to use the Stamp Editor or with Parallel Desktop and Windows on a MacBook with either the Stamp Editor or the Propeller Tool.

Larry
02-06-2007, 06:41 AM
Is your mac an Intel Mac? I had problems getting a keyspan USA-19HS to work with MacBS2, gave up and went back to programming Stamps with my crumby old laptop with a serial port.
I noticed yesterday that there is a new Keyspan Driver for Intel Macs (2.27, I think) I downloaded it and, While I was at it, I downloaded the newest version of MacBS2, which recognizes my adapter as one that is known to work.

All is good. Now I don't have to drag out the laptop.

If you have an Intel Mac, that may solve your problem. Even if you don't, the newest MacBS2 may help.

Now, If I can get the Prop Tool to work on it...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

eluhn
02-10-2007, 12:39 AM
I'm jumping in on this discussion because I'm having the same problem with my Homw Work Board, PC laptop and Belkin adaptor.

So do I understand correctly that a Belkin adaptor will not work, even on a PC? Loopback and Echo both read "yes," but it doesn't recognize any device as being attached.

allanlane5
02-10-2007, 12:44 AM
Correct, many people have had trouble with Belkin USB adaptors with the BS2.

Tyler
02-10-2007, 02:16 AM
Hey guys,
I just got the Keyspan; it works great. I spent a lot of time trying to get other adapters to work. It is not worth the effort unless you are writing a research paper on adaptability.
Tyler