PDA

View Full Version : DLP-PROP Preliminary Tests

wastehl
11-04-2006, 04:36 PM
Just in case there is any interest, I received the first of my DLP-PROP orders today. The board is well built, there are some mechanical difficulties in using the pin configuration in standard sockets, zifs and perfboards, but it is OK with a prototyping board. I connected it up and ran tests using the Propeller Tool V1.02. It only took a few minutes to get it running, can't forget the jumper required between pins 18 and 19 for using the USB power supply. I ran a simple pin toggle assembly routine and averything went well. No glitches so far with the Parallax drivers or software. The DLP-PROP clocks faster than the Demo Board, as indicated in the advertisement. I attach a couple of screen shots from the scope showing the difference. The scope is set to 50ns per division and 1 volt per division. I'll follow this up with more info if there is any interest.

Regards to all, Bill

Dennis Ferron
11-04-2006, 04:46 PM
What's the DLP-PROP?

wastehl
11-04-2006, 05:19 PM
Hi Dennis,

The DLP-PROP is an integrated Propeller board manufactured by DLP Design, www.dlpdesign.com. It includes a Propeller chip, USB circuit for programming and a memory chip all mounted on a board which connects via a standard (?) 40 pin set of connectors with a prototyping board. It is self contained, stand alone and seems to be compatible with the Parallax Dev. Bd. and software. It is listed on the Parallax site under 3rd party developers. I got mine from Mouser, but they are back-ordered at the moment. There are a couple of other sources. It is clocked at 96 MHz, somewhat faster than the Parallax board. Seems like a good product so far, but we are doing additional testing. I am looking at it for prototyping a multiple Propeller project.

Bill

ciw1973
11-04-2006, 11:50 PM
Had one of these in my hands the other day, but it was ordered for a friend who didn't want it in the end, so it got sent back. The FTDI guys here in the UK shipped it immediately and it arrived the following day, which was nice, as we're based in the Isle of Man, and normally have to add an extra day for shipping, so top marks to them.

I was toying with the idea of keeping it, but aside from the faster clock speed (and the crystal on the developer board is socketed, so could be replaced with a 6Mhz one anyway) I felt it'd probably sit gathering dust, as the dev board already includes the sockets etc. I want for the experimentation I'm doing at the moment.

It's certainly small and cute though, well made, has the USB interface built-in, and costs less than Prop-Stick so until Parallax's 15 USD prototyping board is available towards the end of the year, it's probaly the way forward if you want to be playing with multiple Propeller chips, and certainly the best option if you plan to produce small batches of something.

Cliff L. Biffle
11-05-2006, 01:42 AM
Parallax has strongly hinted that the Propeller is stable at 96MHz (and, in fact, some of my applications require it). I'm delighted to see a pre-built board with the faster crystal.

Incidentally, since some of us are scope-impaired, can you time (or estimate) the transition times for the output pins? I see some attack delay there and I'm working on an unofficial datasheet.

(Cue all the people saying "WHAT COULD YOU NEED THAT'S NOT IN THE MANUAL?!" again.)

The times may be different for the counters and an explicit low/high toggle loop.

cgracey
11-05-2006, 02:50 AM
Cliff L. Biffle said...

Incidentally, since some of us are scope-impaired, can you time (or estimate) the transition times for the output pins? I see some attack delay there and I'm working on an unofficial datasheet.

Cliff,

You can't tell from those scope pictures, but those pins are transitioning rail-to-rail in no more than 750ps, at least according to our·1.5GHz scope at Parallax. They may be going even faster, as they were designed for speed. Rise and fall times are symmetrical. The edges look rounded on that picture because it's probably a 100MHz-or-less scope and it's relatively bandwidth-limited.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Chip Gracey
Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Chip Gracey (Parallax)) : 11/4/2006 6:58:31 PM GMT

wastehl
11-05-2006, 03:50 AM
It is, in fact, my home scope, and is only a 100MHz unit so the pulse shape is not deterministic, it is also not the greatest probe in the world which further exacerbates the problem, I was only looking at raw pulse length. BTW there is no crystal on this device, it uses the CBUS0 output from the FT232R in CLK6 mode to generate the clock...