PDA

View Full Version : emic TTS module (#30006) speaker amplification

RancidWannaRiot
09-14-2006, 03:33 AM
Hello,

I'm using the emic TTS module (#30006) that can be found on paralax (the female voice version). It's the SIP version (the OEM version doesn't exist).

I connected a speaker to it (8 ohm 1 watt). The datasheet say's it can output a 300mW signal.

Apprently that's not loud enough.. it's pretty low..

so.. it has another pin called the Aout pin which can fee d through your own amplifier.. and then to whatever speakers you want..

my question is.. i don't know the first thing about sound amplification. what would be a good circuit for that??

thanks,

the datasheet for the device is on the parallax site. the output specs of that Aout pin is towards the end of the datasheet under electrical chracteristics

thanks, hopefully someone cna help

Chris Savage
09-14-2006, 03:41 AM
Hello,

A note on the speaker you connected...If it's not inside an enclosure, it won't sound very loud at all. Speakers require an enclosure in order to project their sound properly. Is this one enclosed? If not you can get some of the effect I refer to by plcing the speaker over a small cup.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Chris Savage
Parallax Tech Support

RancidWannaRiot
09-14-2006, 04:30 AM
huummmm... the speak is not encased.

I have to try that. I won't be able to try it till later though.. It might work, cause i don't need it too much louder than it is.. just alittle more.

thansk for the suggestions..

however.. if other people read this thread. please still post your thoughts on amplification

RancidWannaRiot
09-14-2006, 05:03 AM
So i encased it..

and it definatly works a whole lot better.

however. i think i should still learn about sound amplification. and i may still need it (I have to see how this project rolls along over the next month or so).

So... it would be cool if peple still posted their knowledge about amplifying audio signals

thanks

Tracy Allen
09-14-2006, 08:32 AM
Have you exercised the set volume command from the Stamp to the EMIC? The default value is I think level 4, but you can set it up to level 7.

There are a lot of audio amplifier chips available. The LM386 is an oldie, but there are a lot of different power levels and capabilites from complanies like National and TI. The cheapest thing is to buy an amplified computer speaker from surplus.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Tracy Allen
www.emesystems.com (http://www.emesystems.com)

RancidWannaRiot
09-14-2006, 11:40 AM
Yea i set the volume to 7 (max)

it sounds better.. like i personally am okay with it.. but this is for a grade and i don't know if it will be loud enough for my graders lol...

i'll look into those chips..

Lee Harker
09-14-2006, 09:11 PM
Now days you can get a set of amplified speakers for a few bucks. All you need to do is make a maching cable to fit your unit and you're done.
I like building things but I try not to re-invent the wheel.
Lee