PDA

View Full Version : Circuit Board Vias

Lightfoot
09-11-2006, 11:47 AM
I am making a dual sided circuit board and I need help finding vias for connecting each side's traces. I primarally use mouser for purchasing electronic supplies. What do they call them so I can find them in the catalog?

Thanks a bunch :)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Well well, I'm seeing things, three of them.

-Stanley Blystone

kjennejohn
09-11-2006, 01:46 PM
Three, this is a joke, right? Purchase vias to connect tops and bottoms of circuit boards? Vias are made at the time the board is manufactured at the board house.

However, if you are rolling your own boards, and you need to take a circuit to the other side, you can either:
- make small pads, drill them out just large enough to take 30GA wirewrap wire, and solder the wire on both sides.
- Or, purchase the little brass EYELETS (the magic word) that do the same thing as the wire mentioned before, only drill larger holes. You then either bend it into contact at both sides of the board with a $pecial press, or solder the eyelet(s) on both sides. (Or maybe you can press fit them: hazy on that one...)

Go here to get an idea what they look like:
http://www.vectorelect.com/Catpdf/Page%2070A.pdf

DigiKey has them, in 1000 pc. bags, P/N T15.23M-ND, about $33 a bag. They still have some in stock!

30GA wirewrap wire is cheaper in small rolls, but something of a pain to install and clip for this job. Whatever.

End Two Cents,
kenjj

Lightfoot
09-11-2006, 02:26 PM
Oh, so that's what those things on the SX protoboard are called. Someone told me they were via's.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

-Stanley Blystone

Bruce Bates
09-11-2006, 03:59 PM
Stanley -

They are both. The facility is known as vias of which there are a number of different methods, as you've seen. If you use what comes closest to what a PCB fab house will use, the PART you want is called an EYELET. You also have EYELETS in your shoes where the laces go through http://forums.parallax.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
<!--StartFragment -->

Lightfoot
09-13-2006, 02:09 AM
What is the proper way to mount eyelets?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

-Stanley Blystone

T Chap
09-15-2006, 03:13 AM
You have to either run wires through and solder on each side, or find other methods. I have used a product that is pretty simple but not cheap. LPKF has a conductive paste that you squeegie on the board and vaccuum though to the other side, then you bake the board. I have used it in a crunch but usually had 1-5 errors on a 1000 via board. You can buy the paste separate from their kit and make yoiu own vaccuum table as I did, but the minimum paste order is 250.00