PDA

View Full Version : Need Precise Electronic Compass

bobledoux
08-11-2006, 06:09 AM
I'm working on an application that requires a compass. I need to read within 0.5 degrees. The output needs to be linear and repeatable. By repeatable I mean, if I sweep 30 degrees and then return to my starting point, the result will be read as my original heading +/- 0.5 degrees.

The electronic units I've been looking at don't appear to meet these requirements. I'm wondering about mounting a supermagnet on the end of a 10 bit encoder. If encoder friction is low enough the super magnet may follow magnetic North.

I can design my application so the compass apparatus is always parallel to the ground, so tilt isn't a problem.

I can also live with an absolute error or 1 or 2 degrees, provided the readings are consistently linear, or an algorithm can be created to adjust for the error to a final value of +/-0.5 degrees.

The apparatus can be placed to eliminate the impact of ferrous objects. But it needs to be moveable, typically within +/- one degree of longitude or latitude.

Any ideas out there?

Franklin
08-12-2006, 05:09 AM
How about this?

http://www.ssec.honeywell.com/magnetic/datasheets/HMR3500.pdf

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
- Stephen

John R.
08-13-2006, 12:18 AM
From references on the same site, see also the 3100 (at only $100.00 vs. $675.00)

http://shop.ssec.honeywell.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=6&subcat=12&cat=HMR3xxx+%2D+Products+and+Accessories

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
John R.

8 + 8 = 10

Loopy Byteloose
08-13-2006, 03:27 AM
Having lived in Oregon for 15 years, I learned a lot from woodsmen. In particular, I used a compass to hike a straight line of 15 miles for timber cruising [inventorying the trees in a forest].

A compass is a fundamental tool for them, but the tool has its limits. Anything ferrous that is nearby can throw them off by quite a bit. For example, if you have a roving robot and it passes a metal table leg, you are not going to get a good reading.

When hiking in the woods, metal buttons on a Levi jacket can make for lost woodsman. Or a metal watchband. A good woodsman will set the compass down on a rock and look at it from a bit of distance.

So think about it. Nickel is ferrous [as in NmH batteries], and their case is Iron [also ferrous].
If you look at ships and sail boats, even they have compensation for the ferrous metals around them.

That seems to be 'the way of the compass'.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
"If you want more fiber, eat the package.и Not enough?и Eat the manual."ииииииии

ииииииииииииииииииии Tropical regards,иииии G. Herzog [и黃鶴 ]иin Taiwan

bobledoux
08-13-2006, 04:58 AM
My application calls for me to set up my compass unit. I then make readings on a distant moving object. This process will be repeated on a later date but at a slightly different longitude and latitude.

The comment about moving a degree of latitude or longitude was in recognition that electronic earth field sensors require new calibration with significant longitude changes.

TimC
08-14-2006, 10:14 PM
Try:
www.robot-electronics.co.uk/ (http://www.robot-electronics.co.uk/)

or maybe in the states at:
www.acroname.com/index.html (http://www.acroname.com/index.html)

Should be around $50-$60

The software side is easy, here is a full workout of what the unit does:

' {$STAMP BS2px}
' {$PBASIC 2.5}
'************************************************* **********
'** **
'** CMPS03 Demonstration Software for the Basic Stamp **
'** **
'** **
'************************************************* **********
' Working on July 31 2006 Tim

SDA CON 8 ' Define Data pin
SCL CON 9 ' Define Clk pin
Compass CON $C0 ' Compass I2C Address
CmdReg CON 0 ' Command register
BearingReg CON 2 ' dir register

Bearing VAR Word ' 16 bit variable for Bearing
Version VAR Byte ' should return low digit number like 9
LowRes VAR Byte ' 8 bit Bearing

DEBUG "*** Compass Test Program Ver1 ***", CR
I2COUT SDA, Compass, [0]
I2CIN SDA, Compass, [Version]
DEBUG "CMPS03 Version: ", DEC version, CR

Main:
' get High Res 0-360.0 scale
I2COUT SDA, Compass, [BearingReg]
I2CIN SDA, Compass, [Bearing.HIGHBYTE, Bearing.LOWBYTE]

' get data on 0-255 scale
I2COUT SDA, Compass,
I2CIN SDA, Compass, [LowRes]

'DEBUG "Compass: ", DEC Bearing/10, " Degrees", CR ' Use terminal window
DEBUG DEC Bearing, " Degreesx10, OR 0-255: ", DEC LowRes, CR ' Use terminal window

PAUSE 1000 ' slow down
GOTO main

Regards
Tim