PDA

View Full Version : 12 VDC too much??

JimG
01-18-2006, 09:47 AM
I have been experimenting with my new BS2 using a 9V battery but have a really nice 12 VDC wall-wart that I would like to use. The question is, is this too much voltage or will the on-board regulator handle it properly?

Thanks,

Jim

PJ Allen
01-18-2006, 09:50 AM
Is it a regulated output? If not, then it's just a transformer, a rectifier bridge, and a capacitor. Unloaded it well be 14-16V. If you don't have a voltmeter to check it with, then you'd best not use it. Or, throw caution to the wind.

The site says 15V max...

I think that it'd be best to KNOW what you're about to do than guess and be sorry for it later.

JimG
01-18-2006, 09:56 AM
It reads 14.22 volts with a very reliable Fluke voltmeter. Do you think that is too much? I realize these things are not that expensive but this one has a 1A output and I thought it would be enough to power almost anything I hang off of it. But....I don't have any desire to burn up a brand new BS2 and BOE.

Jim

Chris Savage
01-18-2006, 09:57 AM
Jim,

That should be fine.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Chris Savage
Parallax Tech Support
csavage@parallax.com (mailto:csavage@parallax.com)

JimG
01-18-2006, 11:25 AM
Thank you guys for your help. I think this whole BASIC experimentation is going to be fun!

I tried the transfprmer and all is well. I look forward to more interaction in the future.

Jim