PDA

View Full Version : Midi ic?

__red__
02-29-2012, 01:43 PM
Greetings,

Anyone know of an IC or module that can take MIDI events and produce audio? I guess I'm looking for the IC that lives in a billion cheap piano keyboards.

I would be feeding this from the propeller so UART would be the interface that I'd prefer.

Thanks,

Red

T Chap
02-29-2012, 03:40 PM
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8892

See if the VS1053B does what you want. I have not looked at this in detail for midi or general midi output. I use it for MP3 decoding and playback from a USB drive and like it. T

Ahle2
02-29-2012, 05:40 PM
"Anyone know of an IC or module that can take MIDI events and produce audio?"
Have you tried the P8X32A!

GordonMcComb
02-29-2012, 07:35 PM
Yes, the VS1053 is one of the go-to chips for this. I use it a lot for MIDI. It's quite adaptable, and the serial-in protocol is MIDI standard, allowing you to use it with any MIDI controller -- or, of course, product your own controller using a Propeller or whatever.

Unless you can easily work with surface mount you'll probably want a breakout board with the chip already on it. I keep trying to get Parallax interested in making one, but in the meantime, there's always SparkFun. Look at their Musical Instrument Shield. You can use it as a simple breakout if you don't have an Arduino. Connect 5V, ground, Rx, and Reset.

There's also the Fluxamasynth, a shield using an Atmel MIDI synthesizer. It appears a bit more robust than the VS1053 in the effects department. This board is about $10 more than SparkFun's, though.

-- Gordon

Circuitsoft
02-29-2012, 08:25 PM
Looks like the SAM2195 isn't Atmel anymore.