PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Propeller Community OSHW "SmorgasBoard" *** Now at OBC's PropellerPowered !

Tubular
11-16-2011, 08:48 PM
The 2012 Propeller SmorgasBoard is a collection of 23 open source propeller PCB designs, complete with source files, gerbers etc.
The designs have been combined into a large "letter" sized, tab routed, PCB panel. It's available from Gadget Gangster (http://www.gadgetgangster.com/find-a-project/56?projectnum=404) and PropellerPowered (http://propellerpowered.com/shop/?page_id=549) for less than $1 per design.

There is now a Wiki for the designs on the 2012 Smorgasboard, please see here
http://smorgasboard.wikispaces.com/
(http://smorgasboard.wikispaces.com/)http://smorgasboard.wikispaces.com/Designs
(http://smorgasboard.wikispaces.com/Designs)
--
*** UPDATE August 17th
Now available from PropellerPowered (http://propellerpowered.com/shop/?page_id=549). Thanks, OBC!
--
*** UPDATE JUNE 4th
Now shipping from Gadget Gangster.
Smorgasboard Wiki public release.

*** UPDATE APRIL 12th
Production boards have shipped from the fab for delivery week commencing April 16.
My apologies for missing UPEW by the narrowest of margins

*** UPDATE MARCH 15th -
Production boards have been ordered for delivery by end of March, in time for UPEW
Five of the designs have minor revisions.
Now I'm putting together some overall documentation, board selection table etc.

*** UPDATE JAN 23rd -
First small run of boards have been received and look great. See photos in post #91 (http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?135920-2012-Propeller-Community-OSHW-quot-SmorgasBoard-quot-***-PHOTOS!!-***&p=1068253&viewfull=1#post1068253)
Now checking for any major faults, then its into full production.

*** UPDATE DEC 9th - now 22 designs
Cluso's tiny Memblade (1x1") is now onboard
Added a tiny Prop to PIC8 (eg PIC12F675) format adapter, .66 x .44 ", to fill in a void
The panel is with the fab but there have been some file issues. Hope to resolve today and see proto panels just before Christmas.

*** UPDATE DEC 1st - we've hit 20 designs!
Ariba's PropinoPP is included
my Ninja Star fits (just)
Cluso's tiny FT232 adapter is on board
updated Layout (rev E - final, letter sized panel, with aligned boards for easy division)
see new spreadsheet attachment for list of included boards and their size

*** UPDATE NOV 23rd - 16 designs
Martin Hodge's ASC is now on board! Great news for those with arduino shields
Roadster's PropGFX implementation is now on board!
WBA's M44D40+ adapter is now on board!
we're getting close to full now. Please get in contact if you're still undecided and I'll see if it would fit.
Layout revD update later today hopefully. Off to the fab early next week

*** UPDATE NOV 22nd
Hanno's Dancebot and Bill/Sapeiha/Brian/Hanno's IO Dreamkit are now on the panel!
I have dropped the parallax products off to make room, and besides these are great value fully assembled.
There is still some space, and the panel can be enlarged slightly out to the red line. If you have something to share, please contact me.

*** ORIGINAL POST:-
OldBitCollector just got a great response (http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?135884-MIT-GNU-Tiny-form-factor-Propeller-layout-around) to his call for open source propeller hardware, with (including Parallax open source options) about 12 designs to choose from.

As one design doesn't fit all applications, I thought it might be interesting to make a tab routed "sampler" panel to showcase the various open source hardware options.

I'd be prepared to get these made at cost, and believe it would work out at about $1.00 per board (ie $19.95 for the panel), plus postage.

So, what do the design stakeholders think of this?

End users, would < $1.00 per very useful board appeal?

Let me know your thoughts...

mindrobots
11-16-2011, 09:53 PM
Tubular! Simply brilliant!!

I'd love a sampler platter or Propellers. please?

Oldbitcollector (Jeff)
11-16-2011, 10:00 PM
I love this idea!

OBC

Tubular
11-17-2011, 12:48 AM
Excellent!

I'll throw in the panel tooling for this, which was distorting the price somewhat. That will bring the panel price down below $10, plus a currently unknown amount for shipping

MacTuxLin
11-17-2011, 12:55 AM
There are 12 of them, you could make a 2012 calendar out of these pix.

I have one its simple but unique due to pin location. I can throw that in as open source.

Tubular
11-17-2011, 01:58 AM
Sounds great, MacTuxLin! Got any links or pics?

MacTuxLin
11-17-2011, 02:27 AM
Yeap. Its the last post in this thread (http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?133964-Prop1-Module-Rev-1-Pardon-for-another-DIP-40-pins-P8X32A-.../page2&highlight=Prop1+Module)

I (http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?133964-Prop1-Module-Rev-1-Pardon-for-another-DIP-40-pins-P8X32A-.../page2&highlight=Prop1+Module)'ll remove the (c) markings. Is there a logo or marking for open source?

pedward
11-17-2011, 04:36 AM
I'd be willing to toss in some bucks via Paypal for a panel or 2, I'm waiting to see what this turns into since it's generating a bit of interest. Maybe we could call it the smorgasBoard?

Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)
11-17-2011, 04:45 AM
Looks good, Tubular. I think a panel is a great idea! However, if people need to saw them apart themselves, the boards need to be arrayed such that each successive saw cut can go all the way across the panel without cutting into another board.

-Phil

Tubular
11-17-2011, 04:51 AM
Lol... I really like that SmorgasBoard name.

Mind if we use it?

pedward
11-17-2011, 04:51 AM
What if they are pre-routed with spars, like a model kit? I'd pay $20 for a panel, maybe $25, if it was easy to break apart and had good pads an solder mask.

pedward
11-17-2011, 04:53 AM
Go ahead and use the name, I've got no reason to say no!

HShanko
11-17-2011, 05:23 AM
If I read this correctly, is this a pcb 'panel'?

If so, YES, I'm interested too. Great idea.

And, if the boards are routed or otherwise easy to remove, that would be super. But I'd guess that adds a bit to the price of each panel.

Thanks for idea, and for so many interested in having one or more.

I'd guess OSHW means 'open source hardware'?

Tubular
11-17-2011, 05:25 AM
Thanks Pedward!

Here's the updated layout, with all the Propeller Platform modules in the same column.

I have added MacTuxLin's design, made it "binder book" compatible. The binder holes may also be used to route power and P30/P31 to the boards

Phil, I'm thinking tab routing like this http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10817

Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)
11-17-2011, 05:46 AM
It'll cost extra, but that would work.

-Phil

MacTuxLin
11-17-2011, 05:55 AM
I've made changes to the silkscreen wordings. Let me know how you would like me to pass you the Gerber files?

Tubular
11-17-2011, 06:09 AM
Thanks MacTuxLin. I've sent a PM with my email address

pedward
11-17-2011, 07:11 AM
That'll be one rad panelized PCB! The OSHW logo is

http://oshwlogo.com/

MacTuxLin
11-17-2011, 07:23 AM
Thanks MacTuxLin. I've sent a PM with my email address

Got it. I've just emailed you the Gerber & drill files.

Cluso99
11-17-2011, 07:28 AM
I have sent my CpuBlade and two other gerbers to Tubular :)

Schematic (old RevA) here http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?134134-Cluso-s-new-Propeller-stackable-and-pluggable-boards-(MultiProps-too)&highlight=stackable+pluggable
(Note: RevB uses smt resistor pack 4x10K and transistor reset circuit has with internal pulldown bias but you can use a normal MMBT3904 and solder an 0805 10K between the b & e quite simply because I have done this)

HShanko
11-17-2011, 08:26 AM
Wot happen?

That OSHW logo has a missing 'cog' man.

Ah, got it, 'open source'!

Jes jokin. Like it

max72
11-17-2011, 02:04 PM
Great idea.
I'll post a BOM with the components models and mouser/digi order number.
Massimo

pedward
11-18-2011, 06:19 AM
*Chirp* *Crickets*

I'm fired up and excited about this, any more news?

Tubular
11-18-2011, 08:18 AM
*Lots* happening behind the scenes, pedward, and its the weekend here which gives me a chance to push it through. Looked at all the gerbers so far last night. Contacted most of the design stakeholders. Plenty of positive sentiment about making this happen. There are some really nice boards on this panel.

There is still room for a little more on the panel, though we certainly have a quorum. Since its a smorgasboard it would be good to have something from Scandinavia. Where are you, Sapieha? Heater? Tor?

I'll post a kind of hybrid pic in a moment to show what its looking like so far.

I have to do some telit demos, but expect this to go to the fab mid next week.

MacTuxLin
11-18-2011, 08:24 AM
I have to do some telit demos, but expect this to go to the fab mid next week.

Wow...!

Tubular
11-18-2011, 09:09 AM
Here's an "artist's impression" of the panel layout so far.

I might drop the Spinneret and Propstick USB, as these are far more useful fully built from parallax. I would still like to convey their availability as open source references somehow. For the quickstart I am thinking of doing a DIP version in the same footprint (smt components on back).

There is still room - the panel can grow wider if required.

What do you think so far?

Tubular
11-22-2011, 03:19 AM
Updated layout posted at the top

Exciting news - we now have Hanno's DanceBot, and Bill/Sapieha/Bryan/Hanno's IO Dreamkit on the panel!

There is still room - apart from the yellow spare squares, we can use up to the red line boundary if we need it, so if you have an open source prop master you would like to included, please send it through!

Duane Degn
11-22-2011, 03:34 AM
Tubular,

Thanks for doing this. Is a panel that size going to be a problem to ship? Would having a place to cut it down the center help with shipping costs?

I hope you'll put me down for two.

Tubular
11-22-2011, 03:41 AM
That's a good point, Duane. There are a couple of extra boards I'm hoping we can add, and when I shuffle I'll try and leave some kind of fracture line in the middle.

I did look briefly at smaller size envelopes at this end, and decided "letter" size was as good as anything. But the US is probably different - is there a limit on what a "small letter" size is allowed?

jazzed
11-22-2011, 03:53 AM
@Tubular,

I have another design that would fit nicely in the "spare" area just above the SpinSocket Flash module.
It's a SpinSocket board with 8 synchronous SRAM chips on it.

I'll send you a gerber tomorrow.
--Steve

MacTuxLin
11-22-2011, 03:55 AM
Tubular,

It is becoming a "must-have" in 2012!

pedward
11-22-2011, 04:03 AM
Is the Propeller ASC by Martin Hodge an open design? I've recognized the thread Arduino presents and see the ASC as a great solution for competing with it.

Aside:

It's curious that the Arduino is so popular, given the 8bit processor and relatively less power than the Propeller. However, I do see that the Arduino has a few things going for it:

Standardized board footprint
Standardized IDE and a basic builtin API to talk to the hardware
Large 3rd party support base

The things I see that the Propeller is lacking to compete readily with the Arduino:

While the Prop has a ton of software peripherals, they are not library items of the IDE, it can be very difficult to find the "correct" OBJ for doing something.
The Prop IDE is very basic and lacks version control and a proper OBJ library
The Prop seems to have a bunch of different layouts, and the Quickstart board has introduced yet another

While Eclipse will solve some, or a good many, software issues with the Prop 2, that chip really raises the bar, and demand, of the developer. The Prop 1 really needs a bulletproof IDE that integrates a lot of this to make it run head to head with the Arduino.

The hardware layout issue could be resolved by Parallax endorsing a specific "standard" layout. They seem to be all over the place when you look at the online store. Sure, they are all great designs, but the fragmentation makes it very difficult for new users to get started.

While the Quickstart is neat, I feel it was designed more for price than development. The DIL header is not very friendly for getting I/O off the card.

The Gadget Gangster Propeller Platform seems to be a leader in the board layout choices, but it ignores the wealth of Arduino shields and compatible boards that already exist.

While the Arduino and Propeller may be the Chevy vs Ford debate, it's a lot easier to co-opt the Arduino's strengths and offer a superior, perhaps easier to develop for, silicon.

BTW, the name is Perry.

jazzed
11-22-2011, 04:23 AM
Welcome Perry.

The things I see that the Propeller is lacking to compete readily with the Arduino:

While the Prop has a ton of software peripherals, they are not library items of the IDE, it can be very difficult to find the "correct" OBJ for doing something.
The Prop IDE is very basic and lacks version control and a proper OBJ library
The Prop seems to have a bunch of different layouts, and the Quickstart board has introduced yet another

While I can't do anything about the different layouts except contribute given an opportunity ... I do have some influence with software. I have discussed the IDE library items problem you mention with Parallax in some meetings, and we have infrastructure in Propeller GCC to make it possible.

I'm curious about source control. Obviously an "enterprise" solution like Eclipse or NetBeans offers integrated source control, so that's relatively easy. However, do you see a need for source control in a "simple" hobbyist IDE? To keep from polluting this thread, could you answer that in a private message? Thanks.

Ttailspin
11-22-2011, 04:55 AM
For real? $12.00 bucks per panel?? Sheesh, even the poor peoples can get one of these,
Just gotta figure out how to populate the thing with all the parts...

In the theater of my mind, I walked thru cutting up (depanelized) most of your latest version of the layout,
I think the lower right corner is the only trouble spot,
Could you reorintate the "puppy board" and switch it places with the "spare spot" just to its right?
It looked like it would fit, and then a band saw could do all the cuts with no backing up...

Anyway, two thumbs up for the whole SmorgasBoard project..:thumb::thumb:

-Tommy

Martin Hodge
11-22-2011, 05:06 AM
Is the Propeller ASC by Martin Hodge an open design?

Not officially. But I could be talked into it.

Tubular
11-22-2011, 05:17 AM
Jazzed, that space is yours. Look forward to another neat design!

Perry, many of us are putting our efforts behind the Propeller Platform header format, as Parallax has requested (http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?131530-Parallax-Semiconductor-backs-Gadget-Gangster-as-a-standard-platform). The QuickStart is a great introduction for the prop, but I don't think it's intended for everyone to build a sprawling platform on top of. As time goes on there will be more and more propeller platform plug in boards, QuickStart can remain Parallax Semiconductor's evaluation platform without being too polluted by our rampant designing.

Having said that I for one would still really like to see a smaller standard for the Propeller platform - something perhaps 1.2~1.35" wide. Max72's design on the Smorgasboard fits this category, and I look forward to having a good look at it once it comes back from the fab. One advantage of the PP format being wider is that arduino shields can be 'encapsulated' within the PP headers. I have a design that does this but have my hands full getting this panel away first. We might do a second panel for PP modules and plugins when we have enough open source content.

As for the software, its not as bad as it first appears, and there's plenty that can (and is) be done to consolidate the software nicely.

Martin Hodge
11-22-2011, 05:29 AM
Not officially. But I could be talked into it.

That was awkward. I shouldn't post when I'm tired. what I mean was...

On the one hand it sounds exciting and I want to join up. On the other hand the business, bottom-line, gimmie-gimmie side is clenching. Need to sleep on it.

Tubular
11-22-2011, 05:45 AM
For real? $12.00 bucks per panel?? Sheesh, even the poor peoples can get one of these,
Just gotta figure out how to populate the thing with all the parts...

In the theater of my mind, I walked thru cutting up (depanelized) most of your latest version of the layout,
I think the lower right corner is the only trouble spot,
Could you reorintate the "puppy board" and switch it places with the "spare spot" just to its right?
It looked like it would fit, and then a band saw could do all the cuts with no backing up...
Anyway, two thumbs up for the whole SmorgasBoard project..:thumb::thumb:
-Tommy

Thanks Tommy

The type of "tab routing" we are using means you don't need a saw. There is a 2mm "moat" around the panels, except for small (~4mm) "bridges" every inch so to tie the boards together. The bridges even have ~ 8 little holes in them, and this makes it easy to simply snap the boards apart. I'll try and find a photo of what I mean, but you don't need a bandsaw, just a file or sanding block at most. Here's one example, (http://pcbpro.info/images/pcb_tab_route.jpg) kinda close to what I mean... though every pcb company does it slightly differently.

pedward
11-22-2011, 05:46 AM
Martin, don't feel pressured into doing something. I was merely asking because I didn't see anything pointing one way or another.

Tubular's comments about the Arduino form factor fitting within the PP footprint are valid and having a dual set of populated headers would be a fine way to coax those firmly entrenched Arduinites out of the crowd.

Martin Hodge
11-22-2011, 06:09 AM
How about this? http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?130157-Arduino-Adapter-for-Gadget-Gangster-s-Propeller-Platform.&p=1002432&viewfull=1#post1002432

The design is finished, just haven't had the $$ to order a run of boards.

Ttailspin
11-22-2011, 06:34 AM
Oh, that's Tab routing, Cool, What will they think of next?.
Well, now I can sell my bandsaw, and buy some extra SmorgasBoards. :)

-Tommy

Cluso99
11-22-2011, 06:42 AM
tubular: Do you intend to include the other 2 pcbs I sent. In particular, the FT232 would make an excellent addition and it should fit somewhere.

pedward
11-22-2011, 07:16 AM
How about this? http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?130157-Arduino-Adapter-for-Gadget-Gangster-s-Propeller-Platform.&p=1002432&viewfull=1#post1002432

The design is finished, just haven't had the $$ to order a run of boards.

That would be totally cool!

Tubular
11-22-2011, 07:37 AM
tubular: Do you intend to include the other 2 pcbs I sent. In particular, the FT232 would make an excellent addition and it should fit somewhere.

Agreed,Cluso. Leaving it til later because it's not hard to place. I'm giving priority to designs with a P8x32A on them but a couple of accessory boards should squeeze on towards the end. Still waiting to hear about a couple of designs, then we'll see what space is left over.

WBA Consulting
11-22-2011, 07:57 PM
Just an FYI to all, I sent Tubular my design files for my M44D40+ module (http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?131867) to be considering for the panel. It can be used with a QFN or DIP40 prop chip to give you the complete basic Propeller circuit in a DIP-40 form factor.

Ariba
11-22-2011, 11:09 PM
I wonder if it would make sense to not just copy the open layouts, but make some changes / improvements to the designs (this is the main purpose of open source layouts).

For example:
- The Quickstart Board misses a pullup on the P30 line which causes some trouble with serial communication. This resistor really should be added. Other ideas: On/Off switch, capacitive sensors.

- The GG PropellerPlatform USB has the SD card on P0..P3 which conflicts with fast external memory designs. I would moving it to P8..P11 or just bring the SD card pins to 4 holes which can be wired to the pins you want.

Andy

mindrobots
11-22-2011, 11:28 PM
Andy,

I like that idea, at least run any suggested changes by the original designers for approval. My only concerns about this are:

1) feature creep - we can do this, this and this and wow, then it will really be something.
2) something gets broken and we end up with a bunch of dysfunctional cards on the "Smorgasboard"
3) it turns into an on-going, never ending debate of what should get added

As the designs exist now, I do believe tehy are all functional and have been through at least one "PRODUCTION" run.

Just my 2 bits.

Sapieha
11-22-2011, 11:36 PM
Hi mindrobots.

I send 2 of my projects and both are prototype tested. And have some mods that was needed for good production versions.
I don't know if both will be on "Smorgasboard" but that is not my decision.

Andy,

I like that idea, at least run any suggested changes by the original designers for approval. My only concerns about this are:

1) feature creep - we can do this, this and this and wow, then it will really be something.
2) something gets broken and we end up with a bunch of dysfunctional cards on the "Smorgasboard"
3) it turns into an on-going, never ending debate of what should get added

As the designs exist now, I do believe tehy are all functional and have been through at least one "PRODUCTION" run.

Just my 2 bits.

Tubular
11-23-2011, 12:12 AM
I wonder if it would make sense to not just copy the open layouts, but make some changes / improvements to the designs (this is the main purpose of open source layouts).

For example:
- The Quickstart Board misses a pullup on the P30 line which causes some trouble with serial communication. This resistor really should be added. Other ideas: On/Off switch, capacitive sensors.

- The GG PropellerPlatform USB has the SD card on P0..P3 which conflicts with fast external memory designs. I would moving it to P8..P11 or just bring the SD card pins to 4 holes which can be wired to the pins you want.

Andy

Hi Andy,

I know it's tempting, but this panel is celebrating the diversity of open source propeller designs, warts and all.

The benefit of open source means end users can grab the most suitable design, make the changes that suit them, and have something they are really happy with, despite minimal effort. The mods you mention are part of a huge spectrum of possible improvements, eg reserving P0 and P1 for USB, P0-8 for fast bus, having mounting holes or not (then PP holes vs GG holes vs other holes), socketed crystal or not, QFN vs QFP. In the end only the end user can specify what they really need, and its going to be easier than ever to get exactly what they want.

I also think changing pins, while having benefits from a bus point of view, would confuse lots of end users searching the forum.

Now Andy, surely you must have something to contribute (complete with p30 pullup!) - what about those puzzle boards you did?

cheers
tubular

Ariba
11-23-2011, 03:30 AM
Now Andy, surely you must have something to contribute (complete with p30 pullup!) - what about those puzzle boards you did?

The Prop-Puzzle baseboard has not much value without the many accessory boards that belong to it, and it's a really old (single sided) design.
I have more interesting newer designs. A prototype PCB of the newest comes next Friday, this would be a good candidate It has basically Arduino, PropellerPlatform and 10pin-standard headers together with some Extras. But I need to test it first - When is the deadline ?

My boards usually have no pullup at P30, but they also not have this tri-state buffer that makes the pullup necessary. A good example of how adding a lot of components to make a circuit better also adds more possibility for mistakes.

Andy

Tubular
11-23-2011, 03:54 AM
Andy - I'm aiming to get the panel away early next week. That gives you a tight window, keep in contact.

How big is it? As space is fast running out

Ariba
11-23-2011, 04:05 AM
It's the size of a PropellerPlatform-USB ~ 73mm x 64mm.

Cluso99
11-23-2011, 05:30 AM
My FT232 module is 0.6"x0.75" (basically a propplug and optional 5V supply from the USB).
Schematic here http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?134219-Cluso-s-cheap-and-tiny-modular-pcbs...&highlight=stackable+pluggable

Presume it fits in, then there may be space for another 1 or 2 of this size pcb - even if they had to be hacksawn. If so, are there any little modules that anyone thinks would be useful?

TonyD
11-23-2011, 10:59 AM
... I thought it might be interesting to make a tab routed "sampler" panel to showcase the various open source hardware options.

I'd be prepared to get these made at cost, and believe it would work out at about $1.00 per board (ie < $12 for the panel), plus postage.

So, what do the design stakeholders think of this?

End users, would $1.00 per very useful board appeal?

Let me know your thoughts...

Tubular, this is the best idea I've seen in a long time. The board choice and price just make it so attractive.

Who's making the panels for you?

Tubular
12-01-2011, 09:10 PM
We now have 20 designs!

After much wrestling I have layout Rev E which is "US letter" sized, minus .015" spare space!

Final layout is attached to the first post.

Off to the fab today or Monday for the first run.

Landed cost looks like being around $14 per panel (70c per board!) , some localized shipping and handling on top of that.

Oldbitcollector (Jeff)
12-01-2011, 10:19 PM
Love it! Awesome project!

OBC

Tubular
12-01-2011, 11:08 PM
Glad you love it, OBC!

Do you love it enough to distribute it in the US?

Cluso99
12-01-2011, 11:58 PM
Nice job tubular! Certainly no room left to squeeze anything.

There are a lot of interesting boards on the panel. Should make for a lot of interesting projects.

FWIW I note the top post does not include all boards on the panel.

MacTuxLin
12-02-2011, 01:34 AM
This is the most value-for-money item I've seen so far! Great work Tubular.

Do you love it enough to distribute it in the US?

Yeah, I think somebody ought to distribute it. And, it'd do good as a testimony of Prop1 too :)

Oldbitcollector (Jeff)
12-02-2011, 02:29 AM
How much more would it cost to have some cuts in the PCB to make it easy to separate the boards?

OBC

blittled
12-02-2011, 02:42 AM
If OBC distributes them, I'll be showing up on his doorstep waiting for the first shipment :).

Oldbitcollector (Jeff)
12-02-2011, 03:20 AM
No need! I ship orders almost every day now.

Those who do live close-by (a few of you) -- Email me and we can work something out if you want stuff in a hurry.
I've discussed this with Nick. You'll still need to purchase through the website, but I think he's rigging a special code for local pickups.

OBC

Tubular
12-02-2011, 04:34 AM
How much more would it cost to have some cuts in the PCB to make it easy to separate the boards?
OBC

The boards will be "tab routed", which means they are "mostly separated by a 2mm routed gap", but connected by little bridges. It is easy to snap the bridges because they are only ~ 1/8" long and have weakening holes in them.

This works really well, the boards stay connected during shipping. You don't need tools to snap them, just break them apart with your hands. You just need to rub a sanding block or file over afterwards to clean up the tab (optional)

Here's a close up pic of a small set of tab routed boards. See the broken tabs around the outside? It only takes a couple of sweeps of the sanding block to remove these. These are tiny boards so the tabs look big. Normally there is a ~4mm bridge every 40mm or so (about a 10% duty cycle!) . The router bit width and tiny tab hole diameters vary from one fab house to another slightly.

Oldbitcollector (Jeff)
12-02-2011, 05:09 AM
I'll double check those fitting in a "standard" yellow GG shipping envelope in the morning.
(If not, I'll get on getting ready here.)

OBC

Tubular
12-02-2011, 10:13 AM
Thanks OBC

When I rearranged the panel I made it so it should be easy to break it into half, or into quarters, to "fold over", so hopefully this does fit standard envelopes.

The panel is 1mm wider than Letter size, and slightly shorter (lengthwise). So if it doesn't fit, I'd blame my Ninja board and Cluso's Memblade :)

The job is with the fab now, it will take a while to straighten out and panelize and cross check, but its all happening

cheers
tubular

blittled
12-09-2011, 03:30 AM
I'm just curious on the progress of the "SmorgasBoard". Thanks!

Tubular
12-09-2011, 04:45 AM
I'm just curious on the progress of the "SmorgasBoard". Thanks!

Well, it is progressing. I sent files + payment to the fab last weekend, but they had some issues with the files that have (just) been sorted out. I don't think they are used to 22 designs from so many different packages, to be honest.

So I expect to receive a proto run of panels just before Christmas (will certainly post pics etc, and build and test some of them), and main production early in the new year.

The good news is that in the meantime, with a bit of rearranging, 2 more small boards have been added onto the panel.

Oldbitcollector (Jeff)
12-09-2011, 05:06 AM
We're (Gadget Gangster) ready on this end when things start popping...

OBC

Ale
12-09-2011, 09:20 AM
The name is just fantastic !, and the board well... its name says it all, doesn't it ? :), are any of those boards fitted, besides jazzed's SPI SRAM-geladen one, with external SRAM or SDRAM ?

Edit: that was bad English ! :(

Tubular
12-09-2011, 09:53 AM
Ale,

There are a few - Cluso's MemBlade has something, my Underbelly and PP LCI have C3-style memory blocks under them that can have 64~96kB sram, and Jazzed's SpinSocket does as you point out (there is one with flash and one with Sram)

I suspect there may be others. Right now I'm focussed on getting the panel manufacture underway but I will soon round up the features and philosophies behind the various designs.

Cluso99
12-09-2011, 01:51 PM
The CpuBlade and MemBlade are both on the panel. They stack to form a RamBlade3 w 512KB sram and microSD. The Ft232 can be used to add USB and 5v power ( need 1jumper cable for power). More info on my website and that points to the forum threads for more info.

Sapieha
12-09-2011, 06:07 PM
Hi Tubular.

My one are even substitute for Boot EEProm and RTC in one that have FRAM instead of standard EEProm

Ale,

There are a few - Cluso's MemBlade has something, my Underbelly and PP LCI have C3-style memory blocks under them that can have 64~96kB sram, and Jazzed's SpinSocket does as you point out (there is one with flash and one with Sram)

I suspect there may be others. Right now I'm focussed on getting the panel manufacture underway but I will soon round up the features and philosophies behind the various designs.

Cluso99
12-10-2011, 12:11 AM
Nice Sapieha. Would you like to post a specification here?

Tubular
12-21-2011, 01:27 PM
The designs have been panelized. Here is the combined result

max72
12-21-2011, 01:47 PM
Great!
Well done..
Massimo

Ale
12-21-2011, 02:28 PM
Is that a photo of the finished panel or a render ? It is just pure Smorgas !

Tubular
12-21-2011, 02:33 PM
Thanks Massimo. Some progress at last.

Ale, it's a render in photoshop generated from four of the gerber images (top/bottom/top silk / CAM routing). There are a few more gerbers I've omitted for clarity

pedward
12-21-2011, 10:48 PM
That is really awesome looking! Great job!!!

David Betz
12-21-2011, 10:53 PM
I've lost track of the state of this project. Is it still possible to buy into the initial run of panels? If so, I'd like one. It looks great!

Thanks,
David

Oldbitcollector (Jeff)
12-21-2011, 11:07 PM
This looks really great! Looking forward to packing them in envelopes for everyone! (Including me!)

OBC

Tubular
12-22-2011, 01:24 AM
That is really awesome looking! Great job!!!

Thanks pedward! And thanks for the inspiration for the ninja star board which is onboard

David, certainly not too late. The initial "proto" batch of boards will come to Oz, and I'll forward a sample from this batch to OBC/Nick, Parallax, and any board contributors who would like their idividual board to check. There may be a couple of bugs on this first proto batch (fully expect that).

The second order will be "production" and delivered directly to OBC (c/- GG shipping dept) for distribution.

When we get the first proto samples in, we'll post some photos, and if GG is agreeable also create a product page to accept orders and get things moving.

pedward
12-22-2011, 01:38 AM
I think a 3 or 4 color version of this would make a neat poster for the office! A PDF with a transparent solder mask, white silkscreen, and "x-ray" top and bottom layers would be really cool! I've got a 11x17 printer at home and made a couple prints of mCu block diagrams (Atmel SAM7 and Propeller) to put up as "art" in my office.

Cluso99
12-22-2011, 06:46 AM
Neat tubular. There is not much white space for anything! Looking forward to the real thing.

__red__
01-17-2012, 03:01 PM
/bump

Any news?

Cluso99
01-17-2012, 05:45 PM
I will let Lachlan give you the latest but I do know the initial pcbs have arrived and he asked for my address to post one yesterday.

Tubular
01-17-2012, 07:20 PM
Yeah __red__ you have excellent timing. Expecting delivery today...

Sapieha
01-17-2012, 09:37 PM
Hi Tubular.

Is it possible You can send one to me?.
Cluso99 have my address.

__red__
01-17-2012, 11:22 PM

I sensed a disturbance in the force... ;-)

jazzed
01-18-2012, 11:44 PM
Hi all:

Attached is a document package for the SpinSocket-Flash boards.
It contains schematic, parts-list, and top/bottom assembly drawings.

Parts kits are available for anyone who wants to assemble and use the boards.

Parts kits for 4MB SpinSocket-Flash are $29 each (does not include PCB).
Functional Rev A1 PCBs are available from me to USA customers for $5 each.
Prices do not reflect taxes or shipping costs. Send me PM for more information.

http://forums.parallax.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=88710&d=1326929366

What is SpinSocket-Flash ?

The SpinSocket Flash boards allow 4MB of instant on Flash code space
with cheap and commonly available Winbond W25Q16 devices. Other
devices such as W25Q64 can be used for 32MB if you can find them.

When using optional Quad-SPI Flash for executing code, 18 user
IO pins are free for any purpose and serial port pins are also available.
This means huge programs (no more straight jackets), Spin speed,
and lots of user pins in a 1.22 square inch single board package.

SpinSocket-Flash relies on the Parallax PropPlug for programming.

Parts List Assembly Options:

1. Standard parts list shows using a 3.3VDC regulator for 4.2V to 15V DC Vin.
It is possible to use the board with 2 AA batteries or a single 3.0V coin cell
by using L1 and VBST instead of 3.3VR. The battery configuration offers
only limited current however at 100mA or less, and the VBST device will not
limit voltage down, as it is only a boost device.

2. U1 and U2 are designed for Quad-SPI flash devices and are supported by
GCC XMMC mode. This is a very fast code execute configuration.

The Quad-SPI Flash chip footprints U1 and U2 are pin compatible with SPI SRAM.
It is also possible to use a SPI-SRAM in U1 and Quad-SPI Flash in U2 - I tested
this last year, but do not have a Propeller GCC driver for it yet.

It is also possible to use 2 each MCP3202 ADCs in U1 and U2 for 4 SPI-ADC
channels. Some rework will be required, but it is minimal.

I'll post documentation for the SpinSocket-SRAM module later.

Cheers,
--Steve

Cluso99
01-23-2012, 01:06 AM
I received my pcb this morning. Looks good Lachlan :)

Anyone interested in building my CpuBlade or MemBlade (the two make a RamBlade3) please see my website www.clusos.com (http://www.clusos.com) - this will link you to the threads here. I will put up full build details and BOM asap (busy just now). PM me if you need help or ask on the threads.

Tubular
01-23-2012, 05:59 AM
Hey Jazzed nice work on the documentation pack. Cluso, glad it arrived safely.

I'm *really* happy with how it worked out, especially the overlay (silk) and alignment. Only minor issue so far is with the tabs encroaching more than absolutely necessary on the smaller pcbs...

As you might expect, I spent a lot of time soldering and checking things over the weekend. All good so far.

If any contributor would like a free sample of their board, just PM me the address to send to. Sapieha I'll send your board tonight

So, here are a couple of photos !

Roy Eltham
01-23-2012, 07:55 AM
When and where can I order one or two from? GG?

Tubular
01-23-2012, 09:39 AM
Roy, yes through GG. I'm working on information and links to go on a GG page now. It'll be about a month before GG has the production boards, so I'll need to discuss pre-order arrangements with Nick.

Roy Eltham
01-23-2012, 12:13 PM
Excellent, thanks!

MacTuxLin
01-23-2012, 12:40 PM
@Tubular,

They looked good. I'll send you the schematics when I'm back home in a few days.

jazzed
01-23-2012, 04:41 PM
What is the mini propeller platform footprint board? Who made it? Is there a doc set anywhere?

Tubular
01-23-2012, 07:49 PM
Jazzed, not sure which board you mean, but here's the final layout which includes the designers

jazzed
01-23-2012, 08:13 PM
Jazzed, not sure which board you mean, but here's the final layout which includes the designers

Looks like the Max72 Board USB. Nice board!
I like Ariba's Propino too.

Oldbitcollector (Jeff)
01-23-2012, 08:50 PM
I just took a few minutes to look at the hi-res version of this... AWESOME..

OBC

Tubular
01-23-2012, 08:55 PM
If anyone knows how I can post a hi res image without it being downsampled, can they please give me some hints?

In the mean time, if anyone would like a hi res image just PM me and I'll reply with one

WBA Consulting
01-23-2012, 09:17 PM
News on the M44D40+ Board by WBA (http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?131867) on this panel:

Well, I am an idiot. From the photo of the panel I realized that my board didn't look quite right. After some digging, I discovered I sent an incorrect file package to Tubular. What does that mean you ask? Well, it means that my board on this version as the following two issues:
1) The EEPROM does not have a connection to ground. A jumper wire would need to be added.
2) There is no programming header on this version meaning the EEPROM would need to be programmed in another manner.

I have sent correct files to Tubular and the next spin of the panel will include matching files to my released version. For anyone that purchases one of these first run panels and wants a released version (http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?131867) of my board, I will mail one to you.

Oldbitcollector (Jeff)
01-23-2012, 09:23 PM
Yeah.. Your board is one of the ones I've been looking forward to.. Please put me on your list.

OBC

WBA Consulting
01-23-2012, 09:43 PM
No problem, I just shot you a PM also....
Yeah.. Your board is one of the ones I've been looking forward to.. Please put me on your list.

OBC

Cluso99
01-23-2012, 11:36 PM
These boards all look great. Many thanks to tubular (Lachlan) for putting this together, and to all the contributors for sharing their works.

One thing I noticed is the many different footprints for the mini-USB (smt) connector. May I suggest a standard - I searched for the smallest footprint and found this at DigiKey (I try to get most of my parts from the one supplier)
http://search.digikey.com/us/en/products/UX60SC-MB-5ST(80)/H11671CT-ND/2004580 (preferred but out of stock when I ordered)
http://search.digikey.com/us/en/products/UX60SA-MB-5ST(80)/H11921CT-ND/2606388 (alternative - same short footprint)
Does anyone have anything better???

I extend my pcb footprints to make hand soldering easier.

I also extend the microSD pcb footprints which is BTW
http://search.digikey.com/us/en/products/DM3D-SF/HR1941CT-ND/1786515

I noted a few are using the power connector with normal pins requiring either slots or large holes. Here is a smaller pin version
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?WT.z_header=search_go&lang=en&site=us&keywords=CP-102A-ND

BTW I am no longer putting these DC power connectors on my boards, preferring to use the miniUSB to bring in 5V power. Supplies are readily available as are the USB to miniUSB cables. Many people have these already for phones, etc.

Martin Hodge
01-23-2012, 11:55 PM
Another note to add for this set. The ASC board version is one without the bypass pads on the back. Since anyone crazy enough to try to build one (besides me) would be able to use the resistor pads for either current limiting resistors or solder jumpers as they build it.

(The latest revision blank boards are also available here http://mghdesigns.com/parts/blank-asc-circuit-board.html)

Tubular
01-24-2012, 12:16 AM
Looks like the Max72 Board USB. Nice board!
I like Ariba's Propino too.

There have been some really neat designs over the years. One of my hopes by combining boards is that boards like Max72's get some attention and use. I think his initial post slipped under the radar and only got a single reply or two

With any luck this panel will 'float all boats'

tubular

Tubular
01-24-2012, 12:20 AM
One thing I noticed is the many different footprints for the mini-USB (smt) connector. May I suggest a standard - I searched for the smallest footprint and found this at DigiKey (I try to get most of my parts from the one supplier)
http://search.digikey.com/us/en/products/UX60SC-MB-5ST(80)/H11671CT-ND/2004580 (preferred but out of stock when I ordered)
http://search.digikey.com/us/en/products/UX60SA-MB-5ST(80)/H11921CT-ND/2606388 (alternative - same short footprint)
Does anyone have anything better???

I like those mini USB's you found. I have been heading towards Micro USB because that's what I use with my phones etc, plus they fit within 5mm or so of the board edge. However an extra 2mm to gain a more robust connector in the Mini B is worthwhile IMHO.

max72
01-24-2012, 01:36 PM
First of all thanks for the kind words. Appreciation from this forum is an honour.

Please find attached a part list for my USB board. The most challenging part to hand solder is the FT232. Many key components are the same suggested by Cluso (SD, barrel plug, USB plug).
For sure silkscreen is to be fixed, and maybe it would be nice to have a LED or two for power on. The switch is not really accessible. Anyway it works and in the spirit of sharing a starting point for customization there is room for improvements.

Linking to Cluso's post I wonder if it would be the case to create a kind of preferred/working/useful components list.
I used the same uSD used in Gadget Gangster's board, but other parts derive from independent web search. Many others probably spent some time looking for similar solutions, after all the basic bricks in a prop board are the same.
Moreover the eeprom I used is discontinued now, and a TSSOP eeprom is widely used, so a "current" list would help a lot.
We could create a page on this forum or on wikispaces to have a starting point list.
This is by no means a suggestion to create a standard, but simply share components that are already used and are working, and maybe with a web search are buried in hundreds of results.

Massimo

Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)
01-24-2012, 08:14 PM
Attached is a zip containing the info necessary to build the PropSTICK.

-Phil

Cluso99
01-24-2012, 11:16 PM
I like those mini USB's you found. I have been heading towards Micro USB because that's what I use with my phones etc, plus they fit within 5mm or so of the board edge. However an extra 2mm to gain a more robust connector in the Mini B is worthwhile IMHO.

Tubular: I have tested it - I have it on my FT232 board and use that all the time now. I find it very robust because the shell solders well to the pcb. If concerned, put a pair of vias in the mounting pads and a small pad underneath. Anyway, you should have one by Friday.

Cluso99
02-13-2012, 01:55 AM
Here is the schematic of my FT232 pcb

__red__
04-01-2012, 05:47 PM
Bump with Love. Any news?

Tubular
04-01-2012, 10:44 PM
Yeah there is a batch of 48 being produced by the fab and due to be sent any day to Gadget Gangster's stores. .

Ding-Batty
05-14-2012, 05:25 AM
Another bump. I haven't seen any newer mention either here or over at Gadget Gangster -- any news? Are they all gone already?

Oldbitcollector (Jeff)
05-14-2012, 06:43 AM
We've got em! Nick's working up the page right now. (He's been running a little behind with bunch of stuff on his plate.)

Should have the page up for them this week and I'll start putting them in envelopes!

OBC

Ding-Batty
05-14-2012, 12:59 PM
Thanks -- looking forward to them!

Oldbitcollector (Jeff)
05-24-2012, 12:50 AM
The Smorgasboards are up!

http://www.gadgetgangster.com/find-a-project/56?projectnum=404

OBC

Tubular
05-24-2012, 01:10 AM
Yay! Thanks OBC and Nick

mindrobots
05-24-2012, 01:23 AM
Sure....and I just stuff ordered earlier this afternoon!

Your marketing department is devious!!!! :lol:

Rayman
05-24-2012, 02:08 AM
$22.50 is a great price for all those boards!

mindrobots
05-24-2012, 02:26 AM
!!$1 a board is hard to beat!!

Not like I need another project....and I don't want to steal any thunder from our GG friends BUT:

If any of the board designers want to send me the BOM for your board, I'll try and build BOM kits on Digi-Key's site so parts ordering would be easier to get for those of us that don't "carry inventory". Once built, if Element-14, Farnell, RS, Mouser or any other places have BOM kits, we can transfer them to those sites.

If GG was planning on doing anything like this, then forget I mentioned it.

You can send your BOM to: mindrobots@ that google e-mail place (gmail.com) - if you do so, prepare to be pestered so I don't mess these up or if we need to substitute parts, etc.

Tubular
05-24-2012, 02:59 AM
Awesome mindrobots. Let me help you with that, I already have some BoM lists, and can certainly look after the Aust/NZ board boms.

I've used the Mouser kit facility but not the Digikey. I'll ask my E14 rep what they have that may do the same job.

I received the Mouser kit Jonnymac put up for his CanBus project a few months ago. One really nice feature is that there is a user comment that actually gets printed on the bags that turn up from Mouser. So you could put a comment like "TSSOP EEPROM for UND3RB3LLY pcb" and it's very clear what the part is for when building the kit (now or when you're scratching your head 2 years hence).

mindrobots
05-24-2012, 03:06 AM
Thanks!!

I can do Mouser just as easily.....I'm not a big parts buyer, so I have no "rep"!

Any help would be appreciated for review and oversight, I have confidence I'll mess something up!!

Yoda
05-30-2012, 04:09 AM
Just a quick question - I ordered this and received - is this thread going to contain pointers to all the boards and schematics? I have found several but not all of them.

Thanks in advance

Oldbitcollector (Jeff)
05-30-2012, 05:03 AM
Just a quick question - I ordered this and received - is this thread going to contain pointers to all the boards and schematics? I have found several but not all of them.

Thanks in advance

If you don't mind my asking. (offtopic) Did the two halves of the board arrive without fracturing into smaller pieces? (A concern of mine)

OBC

Yoda
05-30-2012, 05:29 AM
I ordered two so got four halves that were completely intact

Oldbitcollector (Jeff)
05-30-2012, 05:33 AM
I ordered two so got four halves that were completely intact

Excellent! That's what I hoped! Thanks

Anyone who gets more than two halves on a single order, please let me know and how far the order traveled. Thanks!

OBC

Ding-Batty
05-30-2012, 05:43 AM
My board arrived today (Waltham, MA) in two halves, but no additional separations. Of course, the two halves didn't stay together for long :lol:

Tubular
05-30-2012, 06:44 AM

Thanks in advance

Hi Yoda

Yes I will be updating the top thread with links to what exists in the next week or two, and working with Mindrobots on some Mouser BoM kits for easy ordering. There will also be a wikispace linked to the main propeller wikispace, but I think linking back to the forums is best for updated schematics and source files.

In the mean time if you want any details just ask here and specify which board you want to build up, and I'll help where I can.

Duane Degn
06-03-2012, 04:57 AM
I just received my two sets of boards.

They're beautiful!

It's been a lot of fun to look them over.

I've recently started using DipTrace to make a few boards and these PCB are a great way for me to see how to design a Propeller board.

Earlier this evening I was trying to think of a small Propeller board to use with a GPS logger I'm going to build. I thought I'd likely use one of Tubular's Und3rb3lly boards. I still might use the Underbelly, but now I have lots of options to choose from.

Thank you to all those willing to share your Propeller designs.

I'm looking forward to seeing those BOMs. I know I'll want to populate a lot of these boards.

This is very exciting.

If any of you are thinking of learning to design PCBs, you ought to buy a set of these boards. There are lots of great examples of how to make a Propeller circuit board.

Thank you Tubular for putting these all together.

Thank you Jeff and GG for being willing to take care of shipping the boards (mine also arrived safe and sound).

Cluso99
06-03-2012, 05:46 AM
Tubular (Lachlan) did a great job in putting all these boards together. I think we were all quite happy to contribute to this project.

There is a nice tiny PropPlug there of mine that can also provide 5V (from the USB) and has a combined LED for TX & RX. I have found this a great aid to see what is happening.
My other two boards (CpuBlade & MemBlade stacked will make a RamBlade3 that has 512KB 55ns SRAM and microSD)

I was hoping to claim the 3 smallest boards, but I was outdone by a Prop QFN board that I am struggling to see, let alone work out what it does. Whose board is it???

Tubular
06-03-2012, 01:12 PM
That small QFN board is one of 2 I created to fill in the space after all the other boards were fit.

It's really very user unfriendly. I think it has 6 easily accessible gpio, good enough for tv or monochrome VGA out, and a single eeprom on board. Comes out to a DIP8 header underneath. There are other I/O along the castellated edges, they can be soldered to a 0.05" pitch standard ribbon cable, and broken out to IDC from there...

I tried to reflow the Prop QFN but it went for a slide and soldered at a severe offset. Might have another go at it later once I'm better at reflowing.

There are some more details here (http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?136523-Small-Prop-to-PIC-adapter-(DIP8)&highlight=DIP8%2A)

jazzed
06-03-2012, 08:49 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing those BOMs. I know I'll want to populate a lot of these boards.

Several parts lists and drawings have been posted in this thread already.
Would be nice to have it all in one place eh?

WBA Consulting
06-03-2012, 10:33 PM
A simple web page of the smorgasboard image with hovers/links set for each individual location would work. Many moons ago, I did something similar in Fireworks/Dreamweaver for an orthopedic traction boot (http://www.tufforthoproducts.com/details.html).

My M44D40+ module (http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?131867) has it's own thread here, and I will throw the current DipTrace file onto it as well. I have no problem passing out the design to anyone.

Publison
06-04-2012, 12:18 AM
Nice work Tubular! Ordering mine soon.

Would love to see the BOM for the I/O Dreamkit. I don't think Hanno or Brian ever published it.

Jim

Tubular
06-04-2012, 02:21 AM
After much stuffing around I decided a wikispace would be the most suitable for such a community project

The Smorgasboard Wiki is up and can be found here
(http://smorgasboard.wikispaces.com/)
A summary of the designs is here
http://smorgasboard.wikispaces.com/Designs

I have linked to the Smorgasboard wiki from the propeller wiki.

The wiki is not finished. I am having trouble uploading the source files (.Zip). The photos are a bit squashed in proportion and some are missing or outdated. If you are the author of a design feel free to update it with better photos, links, source files etc. We'll be adding BoM kits and links soon too. If you feel inspired to contribute to the wiki, don't hold back!

@ WBA the hotspot idea is a great one. I'm not sure whether it can be done easily with the wiki, but its worth checking out.
@ Jim I'm not sure either - I will email Hanno

jazzed
06-04-2012, 05:53 AM
Wow! Totally Tubular!
(http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=totally%20tubular)(been waiting for the chance to do that.)

Thanks Lachlan!

After much stuffing around I decided a wikispace would be the most suitable for such a community project

The Smorgasboard Wiki is up and can be found here
(http://smorgasboard.wikispaces.com/)
A summary of the designs is here
http://smorgasboard.wikispaces.com/Designs

I have linked to the Smorgasboard wiki from the propeller wiki.

Tubular
06-04-2012, 07:06 AM
Wow! Totally Tubular!
(http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=totally tubular)(been waiting for the chance to do that.)

Thanks Lachlan!

Lol, thanks Jazzed. The (unofficial) slogan for tubular controls is "We've see the future, and it's totally tubular". People of a certain age (or nerdiness) get it just fine.

Hey got any photos of your assembled spinsockets? I'm sure they would look better on the wiki than the squashed images. The wiki seems to distort as you scale images up/down - the more scaling the more it distorts the aspect ratio. Not sure why - it may be overcompensating for viewing on a widescreen or something. I think the answer is to prescale everything prior to upload.

Peter Jakacki
06-04-2012, 02:19 PM
Tubular, can I get permissions to edit the wiki. I must say I had a look at my entry and went "yuck". The PuppySolo is just that, a Puppy I/O module that's footprint compatible with a whole range of other modules plus it's designed to hook-up to the real world in terms of LEDS, switches, motors, solenoids etc WITHOUT any extra components. The VP pins are not used here as they are normally connected to the motor power supply for source drivers, steppers etc. The current limited I/O is limited with 220R resistors so that you can hook them up straight to LEDs or transistors or even feed audio directly out with an optional capacitor. There are four current limited I/O with 10K pullups that can be used for switches or general-purpose use.

The Puppy modules are slim enough to be side to side stackable so that the 0.1" pitch connectors may be butted together without a gap.

PuppySolo (microSD visible underneath PCB)

The basic features are:

Ready to connect to the real-world
Quad 6A 60V NCH MOSFET outputs
Quad current limit I/O with pullups
Eight current limit I/O (IO0..IO7)
Two direct I/O (P26,P27)
PropPlug header
Puppy I/O Module footprint - 32-pin 1.9" x 0.8"
Twin LED indicators
On-board regulator (max 6V in)
microSD socket

PINOUTS

VCC

---

VCC

VCC
---

GND

GND

TXD
---

VSS
VSS

---

NCH0
NCH1

RXD
---

P26
P27
---

NCH2
NCH3

RST
---

SCL
SDA
---

VP
VP

VSS
---

IO0
IO1
---

GND
GND

---

IO2
IO3
---

IO15
IO14

---

IO4
IO5
---

IO13
IO12

---

IO6

IO7
---

VP
VP

MacTuxLin
06-04-2012, 04:10 PM
This looks really great. Also, I see you've updated the data for my part. Thank you.

Ariba
06-04-2012, 06:35 PM
Thank you, Tubular. A Wiki is a very good idea.

How do I get a member, so that I can add some content for my board? (I already have created an account, but that does not help).

Andy

Martin Hodge
06-04-2012, 07:13 PM
Great wiki! Just one quick note; the ASC was designed on Eagle, not DipTrace.

Tubular
06-04-2012, 09:30 PM
I've updated the Smorgasboard Wiki (http://smorgasboard.wikispaces.com/Design) again with those changes for Martin and Peter

Membership - I thought was kind of automatic, but perhaps it relies on email invitation, so I'm emailing all contributors an invite. If anyone else would like an invitation, just ask.

If you have lots more information about your design, and how it may be applied, feel free to create a page just for that design. I did a sample page for Martin's ASC while playing around with the wiki features.

Tubular
06-04-2012, 09:34 PM
Oh if you've already created a wiki account and its not the same email address that I sent the email member request to, let me know your wiki username and I can request it that way instead

parts-man73
06-05-2012, 02:27 AM
Sorry, I don't stop in very often anymore, but I did today and this thread caught my eye. It's great that the IO Dreamkit is out there available in some form to people now. I spent countless hours laying that out, I'm glad some people may be able to use it!

But 2 small errors I saw in the wiki about the IODreamKit.

It's Brian Meade not Brian Carpenter, and I used Eagle to lay it out, not diptrace.

Thanks for getting that design out there!

mindrobots
06-05-2012, 02:43 AM
Brian,

Thanks for dropping by. We can fix the name mix-up. Do you have a BOM for the IODreamkit? We'd like to gather together the BOM for all the boards and make the parts kits available through Mouser and other suppliers offering the BOM services. If you do, you can either post it here and we'll find it or email it to Tubular or myself.

Thanks!!

I think a lot of these boards are going to be built - this may become a collector's item!

Tubular
06-05-2012, 02:47 AM
You're very welcome, Brian. I;m sorry about the mistakes, I will correct them straight away - would you prefer your real name or Parts-man73 in the credits?

Also, do you know if there is a BoM for it? There is already one user asking, and I'd love to build it too. I emailed Hanno but he is traveling at the moment. If there is a bom I hope to create a Mouser kit for easy ordering.

thanks
Lachlan

Sorry, I don't stop in very often anymore, but I did today and this thread caught my eye. It's great that the IO Dreamkit is out there available in some form to people now. I spent countless hours laying that out, I'm glad some people may be able to use it!

But 2 small errors I saw in the wiki about the IODreamKit.

It's Brian Meade not Brian Carpenter, and I used Eagle to lay it out, not diptrace.

Thanks for getting that design out there!

mindrobots
06-05-2012, 03:00 AM
It seems strange that Lachlan and I are following each other around the Internet from half a world away!! IF my memory was any worse, I'd start thinking I had already changed this......

:lol:

Tubular
06-05-2012, 03:13 AM
Yeah the world suddenly shrinks doesn't it. I was editing the designs page just minutes before Jazzed was updating his Spinsocket photos.

I'll have a go tonight at creating some mouser kits for my own designs. I can do Phil's Propstick too, as I've built several and know it backwards. The mouser kits let you have your own "user description" for the parts, and I'd suggest we use the board name first, eg "PropStick - 5 MHz crystal " . The normal part details still appear on the mouser labels, this is just useful supplementary info that helps make kits easier to build

parts-man73
06-05-2012, 03:18 AM
maybe both... Brian Meade aka parts-man73

both of you please PM me your email addresses. I checked my mouser account, and was supprised to see it's still there and all my projects were still there.

Mouser has a great service, where you can store projects, including part numbers and quantities needed. When I was selling SpinStudio kits, I could simply select the project, multiply by the quantity I needed to make, and it dropped it into my shopping cart. I have the IODreamKit project that I can forward to you from mouser. Not all the parts are included in that. some of those small surface mount passives I just bought a reel off ebay, as you can normally find them for $10-20 for a whole reel of 5000

The crystal listed is wrong. I had a 5 mhz listed. The form factor is correct, but the speed is wrong for this board. I think at the time we comprimised with a 6 mhz crystal to run the board at 96 mhz, close to the rated speed of the fast ADC. 6 mhz was the best I could find in that size crystal. 6.25 would have been better.

oh also the fast ADC IC isn't available from mouser, so that's not in that project file either. It's a ADC08100 from National Semi

one other nitpicky thing about the wiki. There's no FET's. There is a ULN2803 for higher current output. - The parts you might have confused with FETs are Voltage Regulators

Cluso99
06-05-2012, 03:34 AM
Thanks tubular. Nice job. Now I need to update my boards there too!

Tubular
06-05-2012, 05:03 AM
Thanks tubular. Nice job. Now I need to update my boards there too!

Absolutely! Get some photos up that do your designs justice. I added you as a member so you can edit yourself, otherwise just shoot me whatever you want updated

Cluso99
06-05-2012, 09:07 AM
My board photos have been updated. They are still not the best, but they give a representation of what the finished board looks like.

MacTuxLin
06-05-2012, 09:36 AM
Wow, you guys are really putting all the decorations ... won't be surprise codes that runs on individual boards to be up as well. I'd better start doing my part tonight .... :p

mindrobots
06-05-2012, 10:54 AM
Good thinking, MaxTuxLin! Code examples to show off features of the boards or any special coding consideration are always appreciated!!

Tubular
06-06-2012, 05:56 AM
Wow, you guys are really putting all the decorations ... won't be surprise codes that runs on individual boards to be up as well. I'd better start doing my part tonight .... :p

I hope we do get to that stage. There's still a bit to do on the hardware spec side before we're finally able to play.

I'm looking forward to actually building some or all of these designs - it'll be easier once we have the mouser parts kits up. Then it would be good to have some demo software (perhaps in both Spin and C) to show off come of the specific capabilities of each of the boards.

Rayman
06-10-2012, 10:17 PM
Just ordered a board. If I can get 3 Prop Platform boards out of this, I'll be very happy. It'll let me set up a lot more demos at the UPEC expo...

Duane Degn
06-10-2012, 10:26 PM
If I can get 3 Prop Platform boards out of this, I'll be very happy.

I count 5 & 1/2 PP boards. The 1/2 is a half width board with PP holes on the sides.

Tubular
06-11-2012, 12:01 AM
I count 5 & 1/2 PP boards. The 1/2 is a half width board with PP holes on the sides.

Yes this is correct, there is
* JonnyMac's original Propeller Platform (all DIP)
* Gadget Gangster's PP USB
* Ariba's PropinoPP (see its own Smorgasboard page (http://smorgasboard.wikispaces.com/PropinoPP+%28by+Ariba%29))
* Roadster's PropGFXlite
* My PPLCI (for 12~48v operation and I/o)
* Max72's narrow PP board ("Scheda 2")

have fun

Rayman
06-11-2012, 12:12 AM
5 Platform compatible boards! Even better. I was having a tough time deciding between 1 and 2 SmorgasBoards, but I think one should be enough now...

I'm going to have to put a link to that board on my website. I have a lot of things that are Propeller Platform compatible and this gives people a cheap way to get a lot of different boards working at a very reasonable cost.

Cluso99
06-11-2012, 01:07 AM
Don't forget there is also a PropPlug equivalent too, capable of powering (5V out) your project from the USB (within USB power specifications). It's smt but with increased solder pads to make hand soldering easier. Why not give smt a go!

Tubular
06-11-2012, 02:04 AM
Yes good point Cluso.

Here's a photo of Cluso's FT232 board programming my Ninja board.

Sapieha also has a useful "utility board" with FM31L278 (RTC, FRAM, Power supervisor) and Eeprom on board

Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL)
06-12-2012, 12:22 AM
@Tublar

re:programming my Ninja board.
Very interesting design.:cool:

Tubular
06-12-2012, 01:04 AM
Thanks Bob. With all it's i/o connected it looks something like a drunkard octopus.

I'm halfway through building a linear Prusa 3d printer, it will be fun to make a case for this design.

Rayman
06-14-2012, 12:45 AM
Just got my board today. I think I see 4 that look like Propeller Platforms, so that's good, makes it a good deal for me.
The others I think of as bonus. I'll probably try the Prop Plug equivalent at least.
The gold flash is very, very nice. Another item on the list of things I can't do with ExpressPCB (sigh).

Cluso99
06-14-2012, 03:05 AM
Rayman: This gold flash is a process (ENIG) and doesn't require anything in regard to pcb design, so ExpressPCB is fine.

Tubular
06-15-2012, 11:22 AM
I thought ExpressPCB's production service might have supported ENIG, but it doesn't appear to be the case.

Rayman you can always pay the ~$60 to get the gerbers and go elsewhere, but it seems a shame to have to

The nice thing about the gold plating is the boards seem to "keep" well on the shelf.

Tubular
08-17-2012, 09:34 PM
Good news!

The SmorgasBoard is now available from OBC's shiny new PropellerPowered (http://propellerpowered.com/shop/?page_id=549) shop, in addition to Gadget Gangster.

Oldbitcollector (Jeff)
10-05-2012, 04:37 AM
We saw three of these boards go out in the last month...

I've issued a challenge tonight on the Propellerpowered forums. Addressing the scary subject of home SMD assembly. (A good October topic!)

I'm going to start by stocking two kits. (Need suggestions on which ones) and create step-by-step instructions to assemble them using only typical tools and materials which are available to the home hobbiest. We should start simple and use a couple of the smaller assemblies as it will help with stock of the kits. (You'll still need to get your SmorgasBoard, as the kits will only have the parts you need!) and build confidence as we move forward.

It's time that we removed the scary masks that seem to shadow SMD for DIY'ers. I'm proposing to help blaze a trail here using SmorgasBoard.

Suggestions on which two kits we should begin with are sought!

Jeff

Cluso99
10-05-2012, 06:32 AM
You need to select a pcb(s) that does not have a lot of smt in case you get it wrong. Also, the pcb needs to be laid out for hand soldering - this uses longer pads allowing you to swipe your soldering iron from the pin(s) out along the pad(s). This often will remove a solder bridge.

Next, you do not want to have a tight pitch smt part. Don't try an FT232RL first up - that rules out a number of pcbs unless you can bypass the FT232 easily.

PCBs using the TSSOP8 for the eeprom is a tight pitch, but pins 1-4 are joined together, so that is at least one side that does not matter.

jazzed
10-05-2012, 03:45 PM
PCBs using the TSSOP8 for the eeprom is a tight pitch, but pins 1-4 are joined together, so that is at least one side that does not matter.

I've found TSSOP8 is easier and faster to solder than SOIC8. A tiny dab of solder and flux works fine.

Cluso99
10-05-2012, 10:45 PM
Jazzed: I don't have any problems soldering them. But originally they were harder until I got used to soldering them, and others at 0.65mm pitch. I use a flux pencil which works brilliantly. And a temperature controlled fine tip soldering iron, and of course solder braid for just in case.

Tubular
10-05-2012, 11:41 PM
My initial thought was that there are easier designs to learn to SMT solder on, than those on the Smorgasboard. Bigger 1206 passives etc.

But later I thought why not aim high and educate, then those learning from the tutorials would be more capable. There are several tricks, why not highlight those tricks as they occur?

Besides we'll be better prepared for having to solder the Propeller 2...

Btw the FT232RL isn't too bad, its pins are a wider pitch than the propeller.

Cluso99
10-06-2012, 03:41 AM
Let us look at this logically...
I will take my CpuBlade as an example...

The references below refer to the pcb when viewed with the writing for the IO pins correctly oriented (i.e. xtal is at the bottom)
Solder the Propeller QFP (I extended the pins to make hand soldering easier)
Place a link in the via pins marked 3V3 (this links out the onboard 3v3 regulator) - just below IO "7" on the top left
All prop pins are now brought out to the outer edge holes
Meter between 5V (will now be 3v3) & GND and ensure no shorts
Meter between adjacent IO pins e.g. between 0-1, 1-2, 2-3, etc and ensure no shorts

Solder in capacitors C4 and C6 (0.1uF 0805)
Again meter between 5V(3v3) and GND at the pcb edge holes and ensure no shorts
Place a link in the lower 2 via pins (top right running down 3 vias marked at the lower end QE). This connects the reset line directly to the propeller and bypasses the onboard transistor reset circuit.
Attach a 3v3 power supply to the edge holes 5V(3v3) and GND (these run down left side from the top)
Turn on the power
Attach a propplug to the edge holes GND, /RST, 31, 30 (these run down the right side from the top and match the propplug connector)
You can now try PropTool to see if it correctly identifies the propeller chip. If so, so far so good.
If not, then a few propeller pins need to be checked (after removing the power and propplug) ...
The 4 power pins need to be metered from the top left edge hole marked 5V
The 4 ground pins and BOE pin need to be metered from the GND hole (2nd pin left side down from top)
The reset pin and the /RST hole (2nd pin right side down from top)
The P31 pin and the "31" hole (3rd pin right side down from top)
The P30 pin and the "30" hole (4th pin right side down from top)
Retry the tests above until it works

Apply power and propplug as before and...
Download TEST1 and vefiry it works (to be done)
Remove power and propplug and...
Solder in the xtal socket pins and insert a crystal after trimming the xtal pins to ??mm length - slightly longer is ok, but no shorter (or crystal using a toothpick under the xtal to prevent it touching the pads)
Download TEST2 and verify it works (to be done)
Solder in the EEPROM making sure you have it right way around - shorts between pins 1-4 (left side i.e. Q2 side) of the eeprom will not matter
Solder in RN1 (either way) - shorts on pins 5-8 (right side i.e. hole "23" side) will not matter
Place a link in the via pins marked WE (right side near holes "30" and "29"). This is the write enable pin for the eeprom.
Download TEST3 into eeprom and verify it works (to be done)
Power off and back on and verify that TEST3 is in eeprom and works
Solder in C2 (10uF 6V 0805) If a tantalum is used ensure the white bar is on the + side.
ONBOARD 3V3 REGULATOR OPTION (from 5V regulated supply)...
Solder in Q1 LDO regulator
Solder in C1 (10uF 6V 0805) If a tantalum is used ensure the white bar is on the + side.
Remove the 3V3 link fitted in 3. above
Retest supplying 5V

ONBOARD TRANSISTOR RESET CIRCUIT OPTION
Solder in Q2 (SOT23-3 npn transistor with inbuilt bias resistors DigiKey DDTC113ZCA-FDICT-ND)
If you do not have a transistor with inbuilt bias resistors, then a 10K 0805 can be soldered between the Q2 legs ensuring they do not short to C3
Solder in C3 (10nF 0805)
Swap the QE link (in 7 above) to the top pair of via pins (enables the onboard transistor cct)
This permits the use of a USB cheaper propplug equivalent without the reset circuit
Retest
Note that the link can be swapped to insert/remove the onboard transistor circuit

If you intend on overclocking, I suggest you also fit C5 & C7 (0.1uF 0805)
If you wish to prevent the eeprom from being overwritten, remove the link fitted in 21 above

If you do not have a meter, then use a superbright LED in series with a 4K7 resistor and 3V battery should do just fine.

Oldbitcollector (Jeff)
10-06-2012, 04:13 AM
@Cluso

Yes, that's what I've got in mind... Only with pictures and video.. (The fun I get to have)..
Could you post up or send me a BOM sheet for the Cpublade when you get a chance? Thanks!

Jeff

Cluso99
10-06-2012, 10:55 AM
Here is the BOM for the CpuBlade Rev025...

Martin_H
10-06-2012, 02:56 PM
SMT soldering certainly intimidates me. I've had small success with resistors, but IC's seem daunting.

Publison
10-06-2012, 07:04 PM
SMT soldering certainly intimidates me. I've had small success with resistors, but IC's seem daunting.

I'm 58 and don't have much trouble with medium - to -medium small SMT. The correct soldering iron, good flux, 63/37 solder, and solder wick goes a long way.

I don't even use a 9-10" magnifier. I just use a hand held to check after I solder and apply solder wick to the offending bridges.

Jim

Oldbitcollector (Jeff)
10-06-2012, 07:54 PM
Pending some approvals, Propellerpowered will be featuring parts kits for the following projects immediately:

Cluso's FT232
SpinSocket Flash
CpuBlade & Memblade
Gadget Gangster USB Protoboard

Even if you already have one or more of these products which were manufactured. (Please support these projects by buying them when you can!) I want to challenge us to DIY your own version from the Smogasboard.

Official "SMD Challenge" Thread:
http://propellerpowered.com/forum/index.php?topic=163.0

We'll start easy on everyone moving from the simple-to-build projects, and build everyone's confidence and skills as we move forard. Let's get ready for Propeller 2, build skills required now.

Jeff

Cluso99
10-06-2012, 09:27 PM
OBC: Just a quick note...

MemBlade: U3 is a 74LVC1G97DBV and Q1 is the same 3v3 regulator as used in the CpuBlade
FT232: Q1 is a MMBT3904 or use the same as Q2 (inbuilt bias resistors) on CpuBlade and omit R3 ; use a 3mm LED.

I need to do a proper BOM - just no time atm. I can supply you with the 1x9 headers (they are female with long pins so they stack). I also have quite a few CpuBlade pcbs of the earlier rev (uses discrete resistors).

Publison
12-28-2013, 07:15 PM
I think someone ask not too long a go, if there would be another run of the Smorgabord:

I (http://smorgasboard.wikispaces.com/)'m here to ask the same. I'm not sure if the entire panel is available as a Gerber to allow someone else to produce.

I'm in on one if we can get enough people to get another set.

mindrobots
12-28-2013, 07:25 PM
Is Jeff sold out at PropellerPowered???

Paging OBC, paging OBC!

Publison
12-28-2013, 07:33 PM
Is Jeff sold out at PropellerPowered???

Paging OBC, paging OBC!

Yup!

It's been off the site for a while.

jazzed
12-28-2013, 07:34 PM
Just in case someone cares, I have many of the original SpinSocket Flash PCBs.
There is also a SpinSocket dev-kit (http://www.microcsource.com/SpinSocket/SpinSocket-Collection.png) (in the black case) that I never really advertised.

PM if you're interested.

Tubular
12-28-2013, 08:13 PM
Jim it's still on OBC's site, here
http://propellerpowered.us/index.php?route=product/product&filter_name=smorg&product_id=153

A (http://propellerpowered.us/index.php?route=product/product&filter_name=smorg&product_id=153)nd yes, if you want to produce the panel yourself, the "big" gerbers are right down the bottom of the wikispaces page. However if we do run out of stock I'm happy to get some more made up

At some point I'd like to make a P2 based "gerber viewer", taking advantage of the 32 MB SDRAM, and the "big gerbers" would be a great test sample for display.

Publison
12-28-2013, 08:31 PM
Jim it's still on OBC's site, here
http://propellerpowered.us/index.php?route=product/product&filter_name=smorg&product_id=153

A (http://propellerpowered.us/index.php?route=product/product&filter_name=smorg&product_id=153)nd yes, if you want to produce the panel yourself, the "big" gerbers are right down the bottom of the wikispaces page. However if we do run out of stock I'm happy to get some more made up

At some point I'd like to make a P2 based "gerber viewer", taking advantage of the 32 MB SDRAM, and the "big gerbers" would be a great test sample for display.

Thanks for that L,

I went to his Tindie site for a search.

I could not open the files in the current version of DipTrace 2.3.1.0.

Jim

Tubular
12-28-2013, 11:38 PM
Hmmm ok I'll take a look at it later in Diptrace. It might be a pad limit issue.

The gerber files were the final ones sent back by the fab house. My diptrace license at the time wasn't big enough to do the full panelization.

Publison
12-28-2013, 11:41 PM
Hmmm ok I'll take a look at it later in Diptrace. It might be a pad limit issue.

The gerber files were the final ones sent back by the fab house. My diptrace license at the time wasn't big enough to do the full panelization.

Ok, Was able to order from Jeff, so I'm good for now.

Thanks much!

EDIT BTW when I tried to open any file in PCB Layout, it gave a file format error.

Publison
12-28-2013, 11:46 PM
Just in case someone cares, I have many of the original SpinSocket Flash PCBs.
There is also a SpinSocket dev-kit (http://www.microcsource.com/SpinSocket/SpinSocket-Collection.png) (in the black case) that I never really advertised.

PM if you're interested.

Good to know Steve.

I bookmarked it.

Jim

Tubular
12-29-2013, 12:33 AM
Jim

Are you using the "File/Import/Gerbers" command? It works ok for me, but some of the gerbers split into multiple layers for me, and that makes it complicated to import, but it does it eventually.

Attached is a native diptrace (my version is 2.2 at the moment) saved file, try and open it for me. There are definitely some layer issues with this - I think some layers are not correct, and the drill file doesn't line up either, so don't use it other than to test. If you really want this I could spent some more time getting it right... let me know

Publison
12-29-2013, 12:54 AM
Jim

Are you using the "File/Import/Gerbers" command? It works ok for me, but some of the gerbers split into multiple layers for me, and that makes it complicated to import, but it does it eventually.

Attached is a native diptrace (my version is 2.2 at the moment) saved file, try and open it for me. There are definitely some layer issues with this - I think some layers are not correct, and the drill file doesn't line up either, so don't use it other than to test. If you really want this I could spent some more time getting it right... let me know

Doh!! I was trying to OPEN a Gerber file, and not import it. And the ironic part, I used to work for Gerber!

It must be late (early?) there. Thanks for the reply.

Jim

Publison
12-29-2013, 01:00 AM
Jim

Diptrace file opened fine.

I'll take a look at it in the morning.

Thanks mate!

Publison
01-11-2014, 05:44 PM
Just received my panel. What a beautiful work of art! Thanks Tubular!

Just trying to collect BOM's and such to make and order to build a few boards.

One that I am interested in is the IO dreamkit. I noticed that the Eagle file and BOM were never published. Any one have these? I know Bill Henning was going to produce these at on time, but it dropped off back in 2010.The board that got delivered does not match the photo on the Wiki. What is missing on the photo is the SMT R2R for the DAC. Anyone have the part number?

Bill, Hanno, Sapieha?

Duane Degn
01-11-2014, 05:58 PM
I can't help you with your part numbers but I just wanted to agree with you here.

What a beautiful work of art! Thanks Tubular!

I'd also like to thank everyone who contributed to the SmorgasBoard. I've looked at mine many times to see how the boards were laid out. I've learned a lot from it.

Loopy Byteloose
04-23-2014, 09:06 PM
2012 was a very good year for Propeller board designs. We need to revive the availability info on these.
The Smorgasboard is especially wonderful.