PDA

View Full Version : "mystery project"

Pages : [1] 2

Oldbitcollector (Jeff)
08-30-2011, 06:22 PM
So as not to hijack the RS thread...

WHAT THE HECK IS THE "MYSTERY PROJECT"???

Common Matt & Ken.. Quit taunting us! (Or at least taunt us with some clues.. :) )

OBC

ctwardell
08-30-2011, 06:44 PM
I though it was the Radio Shack stuff.

C.W.

jazzed
08-30-2011, 06:53 PM
Obviously it is appropriately named :)

Matt Gilliland
08-30-2011, 07:20 PM
...taunt....taunt....taunt...

Really wish I could tell, but we're working with a "party" that has insisted that we keep this under wraps until a more formal announcement is made at Maker Faire NY, coming up in September.

I think it'll be cool. In fact, I even get to work on little pieces of the Project myself :-)

But until the "Party" in question says we can tell the world, I risk getting shot if I speak out of turn.

...and I don't like shots.

But we can't stop you from guessing though...have at it. (fair warning - even though one of you gets it, we still can't let on until that fateful day).

-Matt

Oldbitcollector (Jeff)
08-30-2011, 07:22 PM
A combination of the two latest Parallax offerings? Spinneret and Quickstart?

(Then there is that new chip for the Spinneret which I'm pretty sure pushed it back into some form of re-design.)

OBC

jazzed
08-30-2011, 07:52 PM
or bathroom duty.

Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)
08-30-2011, 08:01 PM
Matt,

If you revealed the "who" (a.k.a. the "Party"), you wouldn't be violating any proscription against revealing the "what", right? So can you give us that, at least? (I'm guessing it's OBC, and that he's just using this thread to build some hype. :) )

-Phil

Matt Gilliland
08-30-2011, 08:09 PM
If we revealed the "who" - you'd have a pretty good idea of the "what"...
sorry -
(not really).
-Matt

Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)
08-30-2011, 08:12 PM
You can read my mind! I'm in awe!

-Phil

mindrobots
08-30-2011, 08:25 PM
The "who" is Browser......

....and the "what" is -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trZnE34_fgw

Microcontrolled
08-30-2011, 08:30 PM
@mindrobots: Ha ha!
This has to be the only forum with a cat that has moderating abilities. :)

Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)
08-30-2011, 08:40 PM
Yeah, Browser would definitely like one of those!

Actually, that in itself is a pretty good clue. It means it's something we've already seen associated with someone in the forum. Hmmm...

-Phil

GordonMcComb
08-30-2011, 09:22 PM
Ha-ha. I know what it is, because Matt told me.

It's a super-dooper-doggie-pooper-scooper, made with a Prop II, 12 PINGs in a double hexagon design they got from an old Star Trek episode (the one where Spock gets married), and one very overtaxed servo motor from OBC's other thread.

Sorry, Matt, I just had to tell. Don't be mad!

-- Gordon

Matt Gilliland
08-30-2011, 09:51 PM
Gordon!

That's the last time I confide in you.
Game over!

not really.
-Matt

doggiedoc
08-30-2011, 11:13 PM
It's a super-dooper-doggie-pooper-scooper, made with a Prop II, 12 PINGs in a double hexagon design ...

I'll need about 3 of them. :D

Paul

localroger
08-30-2011, 11:17 PM
But until the "Party" in question says we can tell the world, I risk getting shot if I speak out of turn.

If you would get shot by Maddie using the gun she is holding in her avatar, I can understand your caution.

Bump
08-30-2011, 11:26 PM
Weren't you both just making fantastic sandwiches? I'm not sure why your sandwich productions and successes have to be posted to the internet as a 'mystery project'...

Mystery meat does not a project make!
No seriously, it's pretty cool.

Jen J.
08-30-2011, 11:29 PM
You're a mystery.

Bump
08-30-2011, 11:31 PM
You're a mystery.

Welcome back to the fifth grade everyone!
I'm telling mother...

Jen J.
08-30-2011, 11:32 PM
Mom is not going to be able to help you this time, lil bro.

>> BREAKING NEWS! <<
I have attached a PDF of the BACK of the flyer I created for the launch of the mystery project.

Jessica Uelmen
08-30-2011, 11:36 PM
A mystery project you say? Interesting...

...You don't want to know about this mystery project...

...This is not the project you're looking for...

...You can go about your business.

Oldbitcollector (Jeff)
08-30-2011, 11:38 PM
Somehow I just know that subtle hints have been leaked between the lines of the last few posts...

OBC

Beau Schwabe (Parallax)
08-30-2011, 11:43 PM
Not to steal line from a popular food chain commercial ... "Parts is parts" right ? ... lots of parts!! :smile:

localroger
08-30-2011, 11:48 PM
I have attached a PDF of the BACK of the flyer I created for the launch of the mystery project.

It takes Adobe 3.4K of data to describe a blank page?

Jen J.
08-30-2011, 11:55 PM
Well, I did set it to "High Quality."

Bean
08-31-2011, 12:01 AM
Oh, Jen that was just plain mean... ;)

Bean

Oldbitcollector (Jeff)
08-31-2011, 12:05 AM
printing the document and holding it to a bright light to see a reverse image didn't yield the results I'd hoped....

OBC

Jen J.
08-31-2011, 12:05 AM
Sorry, couldn't resist.
It is a really cool thing, this mystery project.
I am looking forward to the launch too.

mindrobots
08-31-2011, 12:14 AM
I thought Jen might have used invisible spy ink...no such luck but now my iPad screen is lemony fresh!!

Wait, this isn't the project we're looking for.

We can go about our business.

Microcontrolled
08-31-2011, 12:17 AM
@Jen J: Aw, come on!
Well, it's nice to know that it's important enough for a flier....

doggiedoc
08-31-2011, 12:30 AM
A mystery project you say? Interesting...

...You don't want to know about this mystery project...

...This is not the project you're looking for...

...You can go about your business.

...What? You think you're some kind of Jedi, waving your hand around like that? I'm a Toydarian. Mind tricks don't work on me. Only ... mystery project details.

Paul

localroger
08-31-2011, 12:38 AM
Am I the only one who is starting to see a disturbing trend in the avatars of the ladies of Parallax?

-- Maddie is wielding the Paintball Gun of Doom.
-- Jen is holding a pair of bolt cutters in a way that suggests it isn't a bolt she is planning to cut with them.
-- Jessica looks like she is about to inform me that I got an F on my science fair project because the use of nuclear radiation sources is strictly against school rules.

This was really starting to get to me until I got a strong feeling that these just aren't the droids I'm looking for.

Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)
08-31-2011, 12:44 AM
If you would get shot by Maddie using the gun she is holding in her avatar, I can understand your caution.
If it were me, I'd be keeping a closer eye on Jen's bolt cutters. And where'd she hide that axe, BTW?

Jen, you're just cruel! It's bad enough that you post a blank page. But to render it upside-down like you did is over the top!

-Phil

localroger
08-31-2011, 01:02 AM
But to render it upside-down like you did is over the top!

So THAT's why the file is 3.4K!

$WMc%
08-31-2011, 01:20 AM
Thanks Jen J
'
I'll never tell.

Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)
08-31-2011, 02:02 AM
As it turns out, Jen is not quite as clever as she thought she was. Her PDF file contains some very revealing hidden text, which I've been able to ferret out. See the attached.

-Phil

wjsteele
08-31-2011, 02:57 AM
Her PDF file contains some very revealing hidden text, which I've been able to ferret out. See the attached.

Dang... I thought I had it figured out until you posted this!

Bill

Matt Gilliland
08-31-2011, 03:17 AM
JJ - that is stooping to a new, low ...

I would never have done that...unless I thot of it first ;-)

-Matt

skylight
08-31-2011, 11:11 AM
wow how big is that pdf? It's taking forever to load! :)

erco
08-31-2011, 03:32 PM
@PhiPi: Jen made one critical mistake. Sure, that page says "Intentionally Left Blank". But if you turn up the brightness on your monitor, you can read through the page and see all the text printed on the backside of the page. Hold your monitor up to a mirror and all will become frighteningly clear!

Fascinating stuff!

Jen J.
08-31-2011, 04:32 PM
Us ladies are just having a bit of fun.
It is after all one of those very rare occasions when Parallax does have a mystery project we must keep from you!

Oldbitcollector (Jeff)
08-31-2011, 04:55 PM
I'll just resign myself to seeing this "mystery" first hand. Planning to be a MAKE NYC.

OBC

Publison
08-31-2011, 06:39 PM
Funny, when I opened the PDF, it had directions to MAKE NYC.

(Where is that axe?)

erco
08-31-2011, 07:57 PM
Man, I remember how I got slammed when I posted a teaser thread: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?132260

Cute girls can get away with ANYTHING. :)

Ravenkallen
09-01-2011, 03:39 AM
AGHHHHH. The suspense is killing me!!!!:)

wjsteele
09-01-2011, 10:30 AM
Ah, Ravenkallen.... I thought you were already on the list of people who got early prototypes, like the rest of us.

Oh well... trust us... it's really cool. :-)

Bill

ctwardell
09-01-2011, 11:59 AM
Oh well... trust us... it's really cool. :-)

It is really cool, but it bothers me a bit that the lights dim when I turn it on.

C.W.

mindrobots
09-01-2011, 12:22 PM
It is really cool, but it bothers me a bit that the lights dim when I turn it on.

C.W.

There should have been a second box delivered with the.....um, new power supply. It's kinda big but NASA never had any problems with the technology.

Loopy Byteloose
09-01-2011, 12:55 PM
Girls just gotta have their secrets.....

"Lights dim when I turn it on."

Do this have something to do with Boris Karloff?

"It's alive, it's alive......."

I know, "It is Parallax's and the world's first commercial android." Forget the rolling garbage cans, forget your teddy bears. You can now have a new electronic friend to pal around with. (Oh, and forget the cat too..... Dog lovers unite!)

wjsteele
09-01-2011, 01:32 PM
It's kinda big but NASA never had any problems with the technology.

The benefit of it is that it produces so much power that when I plug it in, the power meter runs backwards!!! That is, until I turn IT on!

Bill

Microcontrolled
09-01-2011, 03:05 PM
@wjsteele:
......................................__.......... ......................................
.............................,-~*`¯lllllll`*~,................................... .......
.......................,-~*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll¯`*-,....................................
..................,-~*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll*-,..................................
...............,-*lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll lllll.\.......................... .......
.............;*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll,-~*~-,llllllllllllllllllll\............................ ....
..............\lllllllllllllllllllllllllll/.........\;;;;llllllllllll,-`~-,......................... ..
...............\lllllllllllllllllllll,-*...........`~-~-,...(.(¯`*,`,..........................
................\llllllllllll,-~*.....................)_-\..*`*;..)..........................
.................\,-*`¯,*`)............,-~*`~................/.....................
..................|/.../.../~,......-~*,-~*`;................/.\..................
................./.../.../.../..,-,..*~,.`*~*................*...\.................
................|.../.../.../.*`...\...........................)....)¯`~,...... ............
................|./.../..../.......)......,.)`*~-,............/....|..)...`~-,.............
..............././.../...,*`-,.....`-,...*`....,---......\..../...../..|.........¯```*~-,,,,
...............(..........)`*~-,....`*`.,-~*.,-*......|.../..../.../............\........
................*-,.......`*-,...`~,..``.,,,-*..........|.,*...,*...|..............\........
...................*,.........`-,...)-,..............,-*`...,-*....(`-,............\.......
......................f`-,.........`-,/...*-,___,,-~*....,-*......|...`-,..........\........

Ravenkallen
09-01-2011, 04:36 PM
@WJsteele...HAHA, i wish. It seems like i am the last one to know everything around here... I wish they could just give us ONE CLUE!!:)

Beau Schwabe (Parallax)
09-01-2011, 04:39 PM
Ravenkallen,

One clue ... ok... "batteries are not included" :-)

mindrobots
09-01-2011, 05:11 PM
Second clue: Some assembly required.

skylight
09-01-2011, 07:30 PM
Is it just me or does anyone else find jen j's avatar a little bit scary? :surprise:

Jen J.
09-01-2011, 08:14 PM
I upgraded my axe! :)

Chris Savage
09-01-2011, 08:19 PM
Don't worry, it's still a gray item. When it turns purple is when you worry. Epics FTW! :lol:

Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)
09-01-2011, 08:24 PM
I upgraded my axe!

http://forums.parallax.com/image.php?u=40440&dateline=1314897923

Yikes! Well, guys, at least she can't sneak up on anyone with that thing running! :)

-Phil

Ken Gracey
09-01-2011, 08:27 PM
Is it just me or does anyone else find jen j's avatar a little bit scary? :surprise:

I've worked with her for 13 years and she's all business. . . doesn't go to work to eat her lunch.

She has struck down various people in the office who crossed her the wrong way, using tools of the trade: soldering irons, milling machines, brakes, etc.

What's scary about the avatar is she can swing a chainsaw around like none of us on the forums.

Ken Gracey

ratronic
09-01-2011, 09:06 PM
From the clues so far I think it has something to do with solar.

ajward
09-01-2011, 09:12 PM
Second clue: Some assembly required.

"Easily assembled by any 9 year old!"

Microcontrolled
09-01-2011, 09:30 PM
@ratronic: That would be a disappointment.

RonP
09-01-2011, 10:31 PM
I am thinking Quad-Coppter related.

Post #8 Matt G. “If we revealed the "who" - you'd have a pretty good idea of the "what"... “
If the other party is Hoverfly we would know the what.

Post #20 Jen J. “I have attached a PDF of the BACK of the flyer I created for the launch of the mystery project.”
"Flyer" possible hint

Post #23 Beau S. “Not to steal line from a popular food chain commercial ... "Parts is parts" right ? ... lots of parts!!”
Parts = Quad possible hint

Post #25 Jen J. “Well, I did set it to "High Quality." “
"High" possible hint

Post #28 Jen J. “I am looking forward to the launch too.”
"Launch" possible hint

Post #53 Beau S. “One clue ... ok... "batteries are not included" :-) “
"Takes Batteries" and another possible hint

Ken in another post said something like - I'll have the staff talk to Hoverfly - about what I can't remember, then there was silence. I need to find that post.

I am usually wrong what do you guys think. :innocent:

$WMc%
09-01-2011, 11:00 PM
Its a secret
'
RonP

Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)
09-01-2011, 11:25 PM
I am thinking Quad-Coppter related.

I don't think the chronology adds up. Here's Kevin's first mention (11 August) of the "secret" project -- like they've been working on it awhile:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?133708-Parallax-WiFi-What-has-happened-now!&p=1026487&viewfull=1#post1026487

And here's Ken's post (13 August) saying he's still revising the design:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?133372-Ken-s-QuadCopter-Build-Log-(now-includes-videos)&p=1027039&viewfull=1#post1027039

OTOH, it's not unheard of to get all the cogs in motion to introduce a new product before the design is finalized.

-Phil

mindrobots
09-01-2011, 11:29 PM
Look over there!!!!

What's New?
Gadget Gangster is growing! (http://www.gadgetgangster.com/news/48-non-sequitur/480-gadget-gangster-is-growing.html) All News (http://www.gadgetgangster.com/news.html) - Non Sequitur (http://www.gadgetgangster.com/news/48-non-sequitur.html) Written by Jeff Ledger Thursday, 01 September 2011 11:02 We are about to unveil some exciting changes and new products for the fall.

http://www.gadgetgangster.com/images/under_construction.png
If you listen real closely you can hear the sounds of progress at Gadget Gangster. We've got exciting new products in the works as well as expansion of the a key department.

More details to come

Probably, totally unrelated but a rumor mill needs grist to run on!!

bomber
09-01-2011, 11:42 PM
I think I know what the mystery project is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am asking permission to reveal my guess. Parallax Staff, Please anwser ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am now POSITIVE I know what it is!! I am DYING to tell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Microcontrolled
09-01-2011, 11:57 PM
They said that you were free to guess. Go ahead! Provide some evidence to back up your assumption!

bomber
09-02-2011, 12:09 AM
My guess is that the mystery project is a solar powered boe-bot with supercapacitor backup. By skimming through all of the comments, I found that some people have mentioned solar power. One of the hints was "Some assembly required" which pointed to the boe-bot. The comment about "batteries not included" lead to the supercaps. To top it all off, When I visited Parallax, I had a discussion with Mr. Gilliland, and he talked about the solar Boe-Bot.

bomber
09-02-2011, 12:14 AM
@ All Parallaxians:
Do NOT,
I REPEAT DO NOT,
DO NOT tell me I am wrong (Under Penalty Of Law)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Microcontrolled
09-02-2011, 12:30 AM
Wow, I think you are correct, though that "Mr. Gilliand told me about it" may have been an illegal move. I'm afraid to say it, since I advised you otherwise, but I think that you may just have needed permission to post that!!

Microcontrolled
09-02-2011, 12:33 AM
You know what, never mind, fair is fair. They won't tell you that you're wrong or right anyway, so it isn't a complete giveaway. Plus, you said TOLD not SHOWED or something more obvious. Maybe it was just an idea? I don't know, maybe I need to stop using these forums to think out loud.

bomber
09-02-2011, 12:36 AM
I changed the mesage, and will re-post it after (and if) permission is given. I saved the original post as a word document so the exact wording will be the same. I hope this solves it for now.

Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)
09-02-2011, 01:22 AM
bomber,

I doubt that you were given privileged information, and I find it hard to believe that the cat you let out of the bag is the real deal. Besides, if you're denied permission to re-post, those of us who read your original guess would know what the product is. So there's no incentive for Parallax to deny that permission.

-Phil

$WMc%
09-02-2011, 01:37 AM
Just shield your self from the temptation.

Oldbitcollector (Jeff)
09-02-2011, 01:53 AM
Look over there!!!!

What's New?
Gadget Gangster is growing! (http://www.gadgetgangster.com/news/48-non-sequitur/480-gadget-gangster-is-growing.html) All News (http://www.gadgetgangster.com/news.html) - Non Sequitur (http://www.gadgetgangster.com/news/48-non-sequitur.html) Written by Jeff Ledger Thursday, 01 September 2011 11:02 We are about to unveil some exciting changes and new products for the fall.

http://www.gadgetgangster.com/images/under_construction.png
If you listen real closely you can hear the sounds of progress at Gadget Gangster. We've got exciting new products in the works as well as expansion of the a key department.

More details to come

Probably, totally unrelated but a rumor mill needs grist to run on!!

And only now do I see the minor error in that release... Arrg!

The joys of being an blogger.. sigh... :)

OBC

Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)
09-02-2011, 02:35 AM
Here's a hint to my guess --- just a hunch, not based on any inside information, just clues from the forum. The "Party" referred to by Matt was a Parallax staff member who was outed in the forum by another Parallax person to have a desire for secrecy. And Matt is right: if you know who it is, you will know what the product is -- assuming my hunch is correct. I'm not going to reveal my guess; but if I'm right, I will be able to prove it. Tee hee! :)

-Phil

Ravenkallen
09-02-2011, 02:42 AM
Huh, judging by the "Batteries not included" hint, i am going to assume it is a device which uses a lot of power(Large robot)? Or maybe solar? But in the software world, i have heard certain languages be referred to as a "Batteries included" language. That means it contains enough built in functionality to start developing basic programs without the use of more libraries(Of code). Maybe he means the device is not built? Maybe it comes in a kit form... Which would make me believe even more that it is a robot of some sort. Of course this is just mere speculation:)

GordonMcComb
09-02-2011, 03:41 AM
Re: "Batteries Not Included"...

Back in the late 50s and early 60s toy manufacturers routinely misrepresented their products in TV ads, things like using trick photography to show a little model car driving by itself up the ramp of a tin metal gas station playset. And they often showed battery-operated toys in action, and failed to mention the toy needed batteries, and that they weren't included.

So the toy industry was more tightly regulated, and the common phrase "Batteries Not Included" was born.

Given the hints -- "batteries not included," "some assembly required," atomic age 50s terms like "flyer" and "launch" -- all points to the mystery product being a tin metal gas station with battery powered cars. Which is fine by me because I wrecked the last one I had. I cried a whole day when my mom threw it into the trash.

-- Gordon

Oldbitcollector (Jeff)
09-02-2011, 03:49 AM
"Batteries not included..."

I kinda like the idea of the project being Solar Powered...

OBC

Matt Gilliland
09-02-2011, 03:49 AM
Wrong...

Wrong...

And Wrong.

-Matt

Oldbitcollector (Jeff)
09-02-2011, 03:50 AM
Wait... I was posting the same time Matt was... Could Solar be RIGHT?

:)

OBC

Wrong...

Wrong...

And Wrong.

-Matt

Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)
09-02-2011, 04:00 AM
Just to clarify, Matt: according to house rules, are you allowed to lie to us? (Oh, wait. Why am I asking him? :) )

-Phil

Oldbitcollector (Jeff)
09-02-2011, 04:05 AM
Ah, the Liar Paradox (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liar_paradox).. Nice..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzVxsYzXI_Y

...waits for Matt to short circuit...

GordonMcComb
09-02-2011, 04:06 AM
I kinda like the idea of the project being Solar Powered...

Matt is too coy by half. "Solar" powered doesn't have to mean photovoltaic. The sun is powered by fusion reaction; therefore the mystery product is a fusion-powered tin metal gas station, with little BOE-Bots for cars. I'm sure of it now.

-- Gordon

Matt Gilliland
09-02-2011, 04:07 AM
...are you allowed to lie to us?

Of course not! Even if I were "allowed to" - I can't - it ain't right - nope, not gonna do it. Why, I'm even insulted that you'd even suggest such a thing!

"Mis-lead"? Probably not.
-Matt

Matt Gilliland
09-02-2011, 04:10 AM
therefore the mystery product is a fusion-powered tin metal gas station, with little BOE-Bots for

Well, that's it - cat's out of the bag - game over.

Not really.
-Matt

RonP
09-02-2011, 04:44 AM
I think I know what Phil's guess is. If its what I think it is you may be right Phil.

-Ron

Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)
09-02-2011, 04:49 AM
Matt says I'm wrong; and, being an honest fishmonger and purveyor of red herrings, he would never lie!

But still, given the timing and the east coast connection ... Anyway, if it turns out I'm wrong, I do not plan to reveal what my guess was.

-Phil

RonP
09-02-2011, 05:00 AM
Now I am almost confident we are talking about the same thing. Still a guess but a good one.

-Ron

Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)
09-02-2011, 05:22 AM
But then there's this (not my original guess):

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?126496-Joe-Grand-s-Laser-Range-Finder-A-Development-Diary&p=1032652&viewfull=1#post1032652

which will be available in the "middle of September". That's not been any kind of secret, though.

-Phil

TonyD
09-02-2011, 07:55 AM
http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?126496-Joe-Grand-s-Laser-Range-Finder-A-Development-Diary&p=1032652&viewfull=1#post1032652

which will be available in the "middle of September".

pics are a giveaway :-) . Now my guess is a "laser range finder"?

Tor
09-02-2011, 08:31 AM
Wouldn't the most existing project simply be that the Propeller II is made available? QuickStart2 board and everything.. that would overshadow anything suggested so far.

-Tor

Matt Gilliland
09-02-2011, 02:40 PM
being an honest fishmonger and purveyor of red herrings, he would never lie!

Since that is so well put, I simply must give you'all a series of clues:

a) The "party" that we're working with has it's headquarters based within our solar system.

b) It is a "party" that sells things.

c) The total number of parties working within this "party" is greater than "1", but less than the current population of China, India, and the United States combined.

-Matt

Peter KG6LSE
09-02-2011, 02:51 PM
Your killing me Larry.

PeterD

Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)
09-02-2011, 04:11 PM
b) It is a "party" that sells things.

That kills my prior guess. So:

RadioShack? We already know about that one.
Gadget Gangster? Maybe, but knowing that wouldn't doesn't give away the "what".
Hoverfly? They sell controllers and T-shirts, but not complete quadcopter kits. The chronology of forum "hints" is inverted, though.
Sparkfun? Again, maybe, but knowing that wouldn't doesn't give away the "what".
Makerbot? I doubt it, but at least we'd know the "what". Not a quick project, though.
Fry's? 'Doubt it
Victoria's Secret? 'Grasping at straws now.

????

-Phil

Ravenkallen
09-02-2011, 05:28 PM
@Tor... That would be awesome, but i don't think the Parallax crew could finish it that fast... I don't think they have even finished making a prototype yet?

You said it is a party within our solar system.. And bigger than 3 large countries combined..MHH? OH!!! I got it! They are making a deal with a advanced alien race that lives under the surface of mars. They will give us alien technology, in exchange for a life time supply of human alcoholic beverages(Made at Parallax of course)... The alien microcontroller has terabytes of RAM, exabytes of ROM, 1.2 million I/O pins and speeds up to 100 terahertz... Oh, and it is Arduino shield compatible:)

Microcontrolled
09-02-2011, 05:40 PM
@Ravenkallen: Hmm.... I don't know... is there a lib available for that?

RonP
09-02-2011, 06:01 PM
Maybe they are going to jump on the Android band wagon. An IO board? That would be a very smart move. I am also trying to learn some Android Programming.

EDIT: Its a WiFi Android IO board!

ratronic
09-02-2011, 06:53 PM
@ Phil - Victororia's secret is already known.

Ravenkallen
09-02-2011, 07:20 PM
@Ravenkallen: Hmm.... I don't know... is there a lib available for that?

I don't know, you will have to contact the alien race to confirm:)

ctwardell
09-02-2011, 08:17 PM
Great news!

A flux capacitor showed up on my doorstep this morning in a Parallax box!
After connecting it to the "device whose functionality we shall not divulge", my lights no longer dim when I use it!
It really is cool, I think you guys will have trouble keeping these in stock.

C.W.

bomber
09-02-2011, 11:08 PM
I think the mystery project has been unveiled!!! Check it out here. (http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?134248-Introducing-the-Parallax-Inc-quot-Inventor-s-Wands!-quot)

localroger
09-02-2011, 11:50 PM
bomber, I think that's a mystery project diversion. These are not the rulers you're looking for.

bomber
09-02-2011, 11:59 PM
These are not the rulers I am looking for.

graffix
09-03-2011, 10:52 AM
So is the ruler the mystery project?

Loopy Byteloose
09-03-2011, 05:35 PM
The mystery project is still a mystery (I think) and the rulers just happened along.

I suggest you ignore this thread. Nobody is telling and nobody else knows what is going on. ;-!
Or don't ignore this thread..
OOrrr................

Beau Schwabe (Parallax)
09-03-2011, 05:39 PM
Loopy Byteloose,

The rulers were necessary to make sure all of the T's were crossed and the spacing of all of the dotted i's were in the right place for the mystery project instructions. :-)

bomber
09-03-2011, 06:54 PM
make sure all of the T's were crossed and the spacing of all of the dotted i's were in the right place for the mystery project instructions.

I thought those jobs were for the computer software!

Beau Schwabe (Parallax)
09-03-2011, 06:57 PM
bomber,

"I thought that those jobs were for the computer software! " - I know! right?

Matt Gilliland
09-04-2011, 03:31 AM
and the rulers just happened along.

Loopy, they didn't "just happen along", they were a carefully planned diversionary tactic to take the focus off of this thread ;-)

-Matt

bomber
09-04-2011, 02:10 PM
My focus is ALWAYS on this thread....except when it is not.

sylvie369
09-08-2011, 12:40 PM
So the Mystery Project will be unveiled at the September Maker's Faire? Is that correct? So we only have to wait until the 17th or 18th?

(I've got a gift certificate that's burning a hole in my pocket, but I don't want to use it on random parts and then discover that I could have had a flux capacitor or genuine Parallax Stargate instead...).

Publison
09-08-2011, 06:52 PM
Do you guys have a booth number?

I can actually make this on. Less than two hours drive.

Jim

...taunt....taunt....taunt...

Really wish I could tell, but we're working with a "party" that has insisted that we keep this under wraps until a more formal announcement is made at Maker Faire NY, coming up in September.

I think it'll be cool. In fact, I even get to work on little pieces of the Project myself :-)

But we can't stop you from guessing though...have at it. (fair warning - even though one of you gets it, we still can't let on until that fateful day).

-Matt

Jessica Uelmen
09-08-2011, 08:29 PM
My goodness, this has got to be my most favorite thread ever- for completely diabolical reasons, of course. :innocent:

Yes, the mystery will be revealed on September 17th. Start the countdown!

@Publison - No booth number as of yet, but we will be in Zone C. Hope to see you there!!

Cheers,
Jessica

sylvie369
09-08-2011, 09:10 PM
I'm hoping it's a printer (http://www.theonion.com/articles/new-apple-ceo-tim-cook-im-thinking-printers,21207/).

GordonMcComb
09-08-2011, 09:52 PM
Cook is right about printers being the future, but it's not just paper printers. 3D printing is the next big wave. Expect home machines for making various pieces under 100mm/square by Canon, Brother, and the others within five years. They'll sell (separately) food-grade printers for home use -- actually, there are already models out there, but they're not yet mainstream.

Anywho, I'm now convinced even MattG doesn't know what the mystery project is. If you know where his office is at Parallax, they keep him separate from everybody else. That way they can keep him in the dark about what's really going on! :lol:

-- Gordon

erco
09-08-2011, 09:58 PM
They'll sell (separately) food-grade printers for home use -- Gordon

Can't wait! I'm gonna print me up some lobster. So much easier than catching them.

And draw me up some butter, too.

mindrobots
09-08-2011, 10:07 PM
It's a replicator!! The mystery project is a replicator just like on Star Trek*!! Woo Hoo!! That's gonna be a BIG hit!!!

*Note: The Star Trek universe RULES! I'd much rather have replicators and transporters than The Force and Ewoks.....yeah, I'll throw Jar-Jar Binks under the bus too!!!

Ken Gracey
09-08-2011, 10:26 PM
You guys are still talking about this "mystery project"? What is the mystery project, anyway? I didn't know we were keeping secrets.

And this Matt G. guy is a troublemaker. The only way he stays off the HR radar is by (a) causing his trouble on the forums, not in the office; and (b) sitting in a far corner of the building with the other Matt.

Today was the Unofficial Donut Day Club at Parallax, so Matt has been busy taking in cash contributions (the pro-granola crowd objected to company-sponsored junk food) and making donut disbursements across the office. No wonder we haven't heard much from him.

Ken Gracey

Matt Gilliland
09-08-2011, 10:33 PM
they can keep him in the dark
Where's the light switch? It's dark in here.

Unofficial Donut Day Club at Parallax
mmmmum,muuumm,mummmm.

Never, mummmm,,mummm mind. Leave the lights mmmmmummmm off - I got plenty of donuts mummumm here - move along nothing to see here...mmummmummm...

-Matt

Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)
09-08-2011, 10:45 PM
Well, if you guys are lolling around munching donuts, the mystery project must already be finished -- am I right? No more pressure, no more Ken cracking the whip to put in 14-hour days and 60-hour weeks; just a mellow, relaxed workplace, with spare time aplenty for snacking and surfing the forum. :)

-Phil

Matt Gilliland
09-08-2011, 10:50 PM
...with spare time aplenty for snacking and surfing the forum

Phil - I call that "Ironic Talk" for a guy with 11,419 posts :D

oh, excuse me - with your reply (coming shortly), I mean 11, 420 posts :D
-Matt

Ken Gracey
09-08-2011, 11:11 PM
Phil - I call that "Ironic Talk" for a guy with 11,419 posts :D

oh, excuse me - with your reply (coming shortly), I mean 11, 420 posts :D
-Matt

What a bust.

Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)
09-08-2011, 11:25 PM
Irony bust duly noted! :) Of course, by not snacking constantly or having to commute to work, the time I save can be devoted to non-work stuff like the forum and Browser's Spin and PASM lessons. And once he's completed the entire lesson series, shoot, I'm home free work-wise!

-Phil

Oldbitcollector (Jeff)
09-09-2011, 03:46 AM
Ah ha! It's a robotic donut maker! Matt just gave it away!

OBC

Matt Gilliland
09-09-2011, 04:03 AM
Oh, so very not close OBC.
-Matt

Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)
09-09-2011, 04:08 AM
Oh, BTW, Matt and Ken, lest you think I've just been sitting around all week clicking "What's New?" and playing with the cat, I've got my own Mystery Project almost ready to reveal.

BWAAHAHAHAHA! [Cough! Choke! Dang lime twist!]

-Phil

WBA Consulting
09-09-2011, 06:33 AM
I finally ran through this whole thread and find it very amusing, but I am unfairly biased. Can't wait for the reveal.

Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL)
09-09-2011, 04:19 PM
re: the mystery will be revealed on September 17th. Start the countdown!

Sounds like they finally got the flashing LED demo working on the Prop LOL Ok, 8 more days.

Maybe a Prop 2 demo? 3D etc..

Al Booth
09-09-2011, 04:40 PM
For those of us who are not going to New York, will this be announced on the forum or website at the same time? Or will we have to wait until Monday or later?

I'm hoping this "mystery" is as good as the expectations are.

Dave Hein
09-09-2011, 04:48 PM
Given that this will be "launched" at a Maker Faire, which usually contains lots of motorized projects that move, and the name of the document that describes it (or not) is named "MysteryFlyer.pdf", and that Ken has been working on a quadcopter in his spare time, I can only conclude that the mystery project is some type of flying device.

Jessica Uelmen
09-09-2011, 05:16 PM
We will definitely plan to post information to the forums on the 17th. There may even be a dedicated webpage we can quickly point you to. Who knows?

...Just 8 more days to go...

mindrobots
09-09-2011, 05:31 PM
Based on "MysterFlyer.pdf" name, the project could range from a little red wagon ("Radio Flyer") to a reproduction of a vintage automobile (the 'blah-blah' Flyer name was quite popular) to a flying machine of some sort. It could actually just be called that because it's a flyer in the brochure sense!! Since we've ranged from plutonium powered Flux Capacitors to the ridiculous....expectations are mixed and I'm sure someone will be disappointed and whine about it....we are all adults, after all!!

Just sit back, watch and enjoy and be happy we can play along in this adventure!!

bsnut
09-09-2011, 05:37 PM
We will definitely plan to post information to the forums on the 17th. There may even be a dedicated webpage we can quickly point you to. Who knows?

...Just 8 more days to go...
I guess we will have to wait.

WBA Consulting
09-09-2011, 05:58 PM
Official Unofficial Countdown Timer (http://www.timeanddate.com/counters/customcounter.html?msg=Parallax+Mystery+Project+Re veal&month=09&day=17&year=2011&hour=&min=&sec=&p0=217)

mindrobots
09-09-2011, 06:15 PM
Brilliant, Andrew!!

Now this is getting officially unofficially exciting!!

GordonMcComb
09-09-2011, 06:17 PM
Well, I guess the cat's out of the bag with all the speculation about "flyer" stuff.

Here's the mystery project, in all its flame-retardant glory:

I've not yet figured out if that's Matt or Ken in the picture.

Ken Gracey
09-09-2011, 06:28 PM
re: the mystery will be revealed on September 17th. Start the countdown!

Sounds like they finally got the flashing LED demo working on the Prop LOL Ok, 8 more days.

Maybe a Prop 2 demo? 3D etc..

Oh no, Matt, you've backed yourself into a corner now!

Ken Gracey

Matt Gilliland
09-09-2011, 06:30 PM
Dave! You Guessed it!
oh, wait. sorry, my mistake.
wrong-o.
-Matt

sylvie369
09-09-2011, 06:31 PM
Given that this will be "launched" at a Maker Faire, which usually contains lots of motorized projects that move, and the name of the document that describes it (or not) is named "MysteryFlyer.pdf", and that Ken has been working on a quadcopter in his spare time, I can only conclude that the mystery project is some type of flying device.

Ah, I see. And since printers are the future, it must also be capable of printing. It's all too obvious now: it's the "Scribbler S3", the first 3D printing robot. No more laying papers out on the ground and placing your Scribbler carefully on top of them - this one does programmable skywriting.

I hope the smoke generator is available separately. I have all sorts of uses for something like that.

Matt Gilliland
09-09-2011, 06:31 PM
WBA - Hilarious!
-Matt

RonP
09-09-2011, 06:35 PM
Gordon,

I haven't meet Ken or Matt in person, but from pictures I've seen Ken seem's to be taller that Matt. So I think it's Matt in the picture.

Ron

Matt Gilliland
09-09-2011, 06:35 PM
this (scribbler does skywriting.

Sylvie! Actually you're right, we will have a "sky-writing scribbler" at Maker Fair (seriously!)

Pics to come once our team gets everything set up.

But alas, no. That is not the Mystery.
-Matt

sylvie369
09-09-2011, 06:39 PM
Sylvie! Actually you're right, we will have a "sky-writing scribbler" at Maker Fair (seriously!)

Pics to come once our team gets everything set up.

But alas, no. That is not the Mystery.
-Matt

Okay, surely my half-right guess earns us a new hint about the Mystery Project.

Matt Gilliland
09-09-2011, 06:43 PM
Oh no, Matt, you've backed yourself into a corner now!

Ken, as you well know - I've been in the South Corner of this building for a while now...how can I possibly "back into it" when I'm already in it?

Oh wait...

It looks like there's room under my desk...yep.. b a r e l y...f i t...b u t...y e a h... there.

In the corner now - right where everybody wants me to be - outa sight - outa mind ;-)

-Matt

Matt Gilliland
09-09-2011, 06:46 PM
Okay, surely my half-right guess earns us a new hint about the Mystery Project.

I didn't say that your guess was "half right" at all. You just happened to mentioned one of the attractions that we're setting up for Maker Fair - which is completely unrelated to the Mystery.

Or, is this just another Red Herring? (Check out my "location" under my pic).
-Matt

erco
09-09-2011, 07:02 PM
Can anything short of antigravity possibly live up to all this overhyping?

sylvie369
09-09-2011, 09:56 PM
I didn't say that your guess was "half right" at all.

I know. I was hoping you were more easily distractible than we are. No such luck.

Matt Gilliland
09-09-2011, 10:24 PM
Can anything short of antigravity possibly live up to all this overhyping?
Of course not.

I was hoping you were more easily distractible...
But in this case, I have foreseen your Jedi mind tricks young Skywalker...

-Darth

vanmunch
09-09-2011, 11:18 PM
Ha ha ha :)

$WMc%
09-09-2011, 11:54 PM
Jar-Jar
'
WiFLY GSX 802.11 b/g @ Roving Networks.
'
This will let your smart phone control all kinds of stuff.
'
This post will self-destruct before 9/17/11

Publison
09-09-2011, 11:58 PM
Maker Faire ticket in hand. I will try and crash the gate at 9:58 AM to be the first to know. :)

I will then liberate Ken's Quad Copter with the new WiFi module attached and broadcast pictures to the masses. If that doesn't work I will take the new Stingray with the new mystery Arduino controller board to spread the news.

That's the plan. Don't tell Ken.

blittled
09-10-2011, 03:42 AM
8 more days until it's revealed? I'll be on vacation!! I'll sneak my laptop along or better yet tell my wife there is a detour due to bad weather and drive to the Maker Faire instead of the Outer Banks :)

Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)
09-10-2011, 04:13 AM
TSA will know, before the rest of us, what the Mystery Product is. Is that fair? I ask again, "IS THAT FAIR?!!" What has TSA ever done for Parallax? I think it's time for all Forumistas to join together, revolt, and bulldoze the labyrinth of mystery that surrounds this project!

Two, four, six, eight.
What do we not tolerate?
Secrecy! Secrecy! SECRECY!

http://forums.parallax.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=84944&d=1315627660

The incursion has begun! Resistance is futile!

-Phil

Um, does anyone have a mole inside Parallax? That would make the Revolution ever so much simpler to pull off, and we could all get back to our margaritas and Spin programming that much quicker. 'Just sayin'.

Come to think of it, there is a guy by the code name of "Red Herring". I think he can be turned, given the proper incentives....

bsnut
09-10-2011, 05:52 AM
Come to think of it, there is a guy by the code name of "Red Herring". I think he can be turned, given the proper incentives....
I am Red Herring and name your price. They owe me products.

Browser
09-10-2011, 06:29 AM
bsnut,

proov that u r red herring and not dubble agent. otherwise, consequencez could be -- let us say -- interesting.

-the committee

__red__
09-10-2011, 08:11 AM
they said they'd announce at makerfaire.

Makerfaire is today in Atlanta.

I can't wait to meet my parallax homies. I'm even bringing my first parallax project to demo to the masses!

ajward
09-10-2011, 09:54 AM
I'm guessing a Propeller based Interositor.
"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!" :smile:

sylvie369
09-10-2011, 12:37 PM
I'm guessing a Propeller based Interositor.

Will we have to build it ourselves? How many crates of parts will I need to set aside room for?

ajward
09-10-2011, 02:56 PM
Will we have to build it ourselves? How many crates of parts will I need to set aside room for?

Just 2486 components. However, no Interocitor part can be replaced. Bear this in mind while assembling.

Ken Gracey
09-10-2011, 02:57 PM
bsnut,

proov that u r red herring and not dubble agent. otherwise, consequencez could be -- let us say -- interesting.

-the committee

Browser, you and your Che Guevera lookalikes should spend your time hunting for rodents. There's no shrimp in the mystery project anyway, so kindly retreat to your jungle hideout.

Ken Gracey

sylvie369
09-10-2011, 03:02 PM
Just 2486 components. However, no Interocitor part can be replaced. Bear this in mind while assembling.

And we have to supply our own fire extinguishers?

Publison
09-10-2011, 03:04 PM
Ken,

I was just going to bring up the shrimp situation, but it looks like you addressed it already.

Browser is one dedicated cat. I hope he brought his US Postal Service box with him.

W9GFO
09-10-2011, 05:53 PM
What is is it? Will it revolutionize the way cities are designed? Does Steve Jobs think it is cool?

Did Good Morning America decline to do the reveal?

sylvie369
09-10-2011, 06:03 PM
Is it something you can carry in your pocket? Or is it something that carries you in its pocket?

Is Leo Auffman the mystery collaborator?

davejames
09-10-2011, 06:28 PM

Hah! Does the kit include a 3 foot square lead shielding for private conversations?

Matt Gilliland
09-10-2011, 06:46 PM
Red Herring reporting in - Base! Do you copy?

I'm inside target- "Building X", aka "Parallax".
It's Saturday 11.25 am PST.
Have successfully defeated alarm system with Code supplied by W9 through contact Browser.

I'm looking right at the "Mystery Project" - it's in plain view.
Amazed that they'd leave it out in the open like this!?

Helmet Cam damaged during parachute malfunction - rough landing on roof of target. Sorry no video feed.

I'll have to describe it to you:
It's got an oddly shaped, large yeh ------------ Someone coming!
(hiding now) please do not reply to this transmission as it may be being traced...

I'll take a quick pic with my backup camera and post it.
Batteries dead in Camera! no pics! no proof!
Comrades! I have failed you!
Operation cancelled. Extraction operation in process?
hello?
hello?

This may be my last transmission - Carry on my friends! Keep up the pressure and together we shall triumph with No-More-Secrets!

-RED HERRING signing off

mindrobots
09-10-2011, 07:10 PM
<...sniff...>
We'll miss Red Herring around camp.

<...sniff...>

RonP
09-10-2011, 07:31 PM
- --- .--. ... . -.-. .-. . -

-.-. --- -- . .. -. -... .-. --- .-- ... . .-.

--- ...- . .-.

Bean
09-10-2011, 08:12 PM
This has got to be one of the best threads of all time.
I love the imagination of the members here.

Ken told me what it is. But I had to sign a contract that allows him to do laser cutter experiments on my right arm if I tell anyone.
So sorry folks, but his laser cutter looks like it would be very painful.

Bean

RonP
09-10-2011, 08:16 PM
@Bean

I don't see the problem you would still have a left arm.

-Ron

W9GFO
09-10-2011, 10:25 PM
... --.- ..- .. .-. .-. . .-.. -.-.--

Oldbitcollector (Jeff)
09-10-2011, 10:39 PM
... --.- ..- .. .-. .-. . .-.. -.-.--

squirrel what?

Browser
09-10-2011, 11:08 PM
bean,

red herring haz failed, so yoov been drafted into the moovment:

http://forums.parallax.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=84965&d=1315696032

ur nom de guerre iz frijole. tell us what u know, pleez. now.

-cmdr. browz

W9GFO
09-10-2011, 11:24 PM
squirrel what?

... --.- ..- .. .-. .-. . .-.. .... .- ... -... ..- ... .... -.-- - .- .. .-..

Oldbitcollector (Jeff)
09-10-2011, 11:33 PM
... --.- ..- .. .-. .-. . .-.. .... .- ... -... ..- ... .... -.-- - .- .. .-..

OH

Publison
09-11-2011, 12:00 AM
-.-. --- -.. . / -. .- -- . / -... ..- ... .... -.-- / - .- .. .-.. / -....- -....- / -... .-. --- .-- ... . .-.

Why no MIDI as a valid extension for an attachment?

sylvie369
09-11-2011, 12:42 AM
-.-. --- -.. . / -. .- -- . / -... ..- ... .... -.-- / - .- .. .-.. / -....- -....- / -... .-. --- .-- ... . .-.

Why no MIDI as a valid extension for an attachment?

The Mystery Project will make MIDI obsolete.

GordonMcComb
09-11-2011, 12:55 AM
However, no Interocitor part can be replaced. Bear this in mind while assembling.

I'm impressed anyone under the age of 50 would know this inside reference! :lol:

Here now is a real red herring for Browser

-- Gordon

Roscoe
09-11-2011, 01:01 AM
Ken, I will guard projek from catz. I like barking at catz.

WBA Consulting
09-12-2011, 06:26 PM
Can't be an interocitor. Due to some poorly worded verbage covering "marine alien species" used in UNCLOS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_Convention_on_the_Law_of_the_Sea) that passed in 1982, "galactic alien species" were accidentally forbidden on Earth.

On the other hand, if GE was the "party", then a Propeller based Turboencbulator (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turboencabulator) would make a lot of heads roll at Maker Faire.

Publison
09-12-2011, 06:44 PM
No word from Bean. I fear for his safety.

bean,

red herring haz failed, so yoov been drafted into the moovment:

http://forums.parallax.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=84965&d=1315696032

ur nom de guerre iz frijole. tell us what u know, pleez. now.

-cmdr. browz

carlyn
09-12-2011, 08:04 PM
Radio shack was mention, reminded me of a begginers circuit kit you can buy but I couldnt find it ? anyone know of it ?

Publison
09-12-2011, 09:19 PM
Radio shack was mention, reminded me of a begginers circuit kit you can buy but I couldnt find it ? anyone know of it ?

Parallax has items going into Radio Shack but will not be showing up till October as it has been reported.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?133909-New-packaging-and-products-for-RadioShack-stores-a-quick-look!&highlight=Radio+Shack

Note that these will probably show up in the bigger corporate stores first. It's up the the franchises if they will carry them. That is my understanding.

Jim

Bean
09-12-2011, 11:47 PM
No word from Bean. I fear for his safety.

MmmmMMm, MMMmmmMM, HmmEmmLmmP

Martin_H
09-13-2011, 02:25 AM
That was either "Timmy is stuck in the old mine" or Bean is humming the Campbell Soup jingle while saying "help"

Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)
09-13-2011, 02:58 AM
It sounds as if Bean (a.k.a. Lt. Frijole) has been gagged with duct tape and is languishing in a dank, penguin-infested cell somewhere in the dark underbelly of Rocklin, subsisting on a diet of -- dare I say it? -- BEANS! Oh, the frijolity! In his obviously weakened state, I just hope the laser engraver hasn't been brought to bear on his already-emaciated right arm.

Commandante Browser and I shall be reviewing our strategy, both to release from detention our comrades-in-arms (Red Herring and Frijole), and to secure the secret of the Mystery Project before it's official release. Rumor has that Red Herring has a daughter who may still have access to the Dark Vault's secrets and may be seeking to avenge her father's detention...

¡Viva la Revolución!
-Phil

Matt Gilliland
09-14-2011, 02:50 PM
dark underbelly of Rocklin,
Now I'm confused - that's where I'm kept - but I don't see a single Bean or frijole anywhere...

Rumor has that Red Herring has a daughter who may still have access to the Dark Vault's secrets and may be seeking to avenge her father's detention...
There is much truth to that rumor...we can only hope that she'll avenge my incarceration (however, today she travels far, far away to her alter-ego - she's been elected the Marketing Director for the Robotics Club at college...

She'll be giving away hundreds of Inventor's Wands (http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?134248-Introducing-the-Parallax-Inc-quot-Inventor-s-Wands!-quot) to new converts to the Dark Side.

And what of Red Herring? My confinement will be almost unbearable...

Day 1: Drive #1 Daughter to beautiful California College town.
Day 2: Sit on California Beach with large, well stocked cooler at my side.
Day 3: Sit on California Beach with large, well stocked cooler at my side.
Day 4: Sit on California ...(well, you get the idea).

Fear not for my safety! I shall remain true to our resolve - NO MORE SECRETS!

¡Viva la Revolución!

-Red Herring

WBA Consulting
09-14-2011, 03:50 PM
Matt: Enjoy the time off! I just finished a little pseudo-breather from reality up at Camp Far West Reservoir. Here's a pic from the camper that I took Monday morning at 6:30am. Hopefully you get to enjoy the same type of views!

Ken Gracey
09-14-2011, 04:00 PM
It sounds as if Bean (a.k.a. Lt. Frijole) has been gagged with duct tape and is languishing in a dank, penguin-infested cell somewhere in the dark underbelly of Rocklin, subsisting on a diet of -- dare I say it? -- BEANS! Oh, the frijolity! In his obviously weakened state, I just hope the laser engraver hasn't been brought to bear on his already-emaciated right arm.
-Phil

If we held Bean captive and we really needed to choose a subsistence diet it would be quite easy to find something with which he strongly disagrees. Taking pizza and burgers out of the mix is an easy start, and heading towards more exotic Asian food or sushi would really starve the guy.

Ken Gracey

Publison
09-14-2011, 05:11 PM
If we held Bean captive and we really needed to choose a subsistence diet it would be quite easy to find something with which he strongly disagrees. Taking pizza and burgers out of the mix is an easy start, and heading towards more exotic Asian food or sushi would really starve the guy.

Ken Gracey

So.. you would be reduced to feeding him leftover Unofficial donuts.? I think there is something in the Geneva Convention about that.

Jim

Bean
09-14-2011, 05:17 PM

Ken Gracey

LOL. Ken I'm surprised you remember that.

[Back story] The first time I visited Parallax they wanted to take me out to eat. I said that I was a picky eater and mainly stick to burgers and pizza. Well they took me to an asian (I think) restuant. There was about 10 or so people there from Parallax and I almost barfed in front of all of them. Oh, and they all had a good laugh when I put sugar on my white rice (hey we always ate it that way)...

Bean

vanmunch
09-15-2011, 06:09 AM
http://www.lynxmotion.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7346

Regardless, it will be great once Lynxmotion finishes their propeller board. :)

ajward
09-15-2011, 01:03 PM
I'm impressed anyone under the age of 50 would know this inside reference! :lol:

-- Gordon

Fortunately(?) I'm a bit outside that range. ;-)

@

Martin_H
09-15-2011, 02:46 PM
I saw "This Island Earth" on TV 56's Creature Double Feature sometime during the late 70's or early 80's. This guy

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-_h7EVTpdem4/TaIecqjKuDI/AAAAAAAABNg/Wly8tOqbvE0/s1600/this-island-earth-mutant.jpg

scared the pants off me.

sylvie369
09-15-2011, 08:33 PM
I'm in the post-50 range as well, barely, but remember that the Interocitor was also in a 1996 movie:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117128/

Those under 50 might know it from that.

erco
09-15-2011, 08:52 PM
This guy scared the pants off me.

Ironically, his pants are on, and look pretty much like a guy in wrinkled jeans. I guess they blew their costume budget when they got down to the waistline. Is he wearings KEDs shoes, by any chance? :)

__red__
09-15-2011, 09:17 PM
So, now that the Open Hardware Summit is going on - you'll be revealing your secrets right?

mindrobots
09-15-2011, 10:43 PM
THE END IS NEAR!!!

Time until Saturday, September 17, 2011 (Sacramento time)

1 day32 hours1939 minutes

Matt Gilliland
09-16-2011, 12:24 AM
***RED HERRING ALERT***

Due to circumstances beyond our control, we have decided to cancel the "mystery project" announcement.

Nothing to see here...these aren't the droids you're looking for...move along.

-Red Herring

Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)
09-16-2011, 12:47 AM
Methinks Red Herring has an evil twin -- a very evil twin. Man, that's just cruel!

-Phil

$WMc%
09-16-2011, 01:04 AM
***RED HERRING ALERT***

Due to circumstances beyond our control, we have decided to cancel the "mystery project" announcement.

-Red Herring
'
Finally found some sanity???
'
This "mystery project" has held up the Parallax WiFi project long enough.
'
The Elein Comet is going to kill us all, I'd like to have at least one WiFi project under my belt before I die from a brown dwarf entering our atmosphere thats trailing the comet as we pass through the comets tail.
'
Can we pick-up the pace on the WiFi before 9/17/11 So I can get an order in?
'
Were running out of time!!!!!!!!! 11/11/11 we're Dunn.
'
GAME OVER
'
Help me out.
'
Please !!!!

Matt Gilliland
09-16-2011, 01:17 AM
Hi Walt-

Finally found some sanity???
I don't know if we have a whole lot of that to go around here ;-)

I've been told that the hardware is solid, (the boards work well). Software update is beyond my expertise, but I'll rattle Kevin's cage here shortly and see if he can give us something to 'chew-on'.

-Matt

Publison
09-16-2011, 01:18 AM
You want me to spend 1-1/2 hours driving to New York just so you can tell me there is no Mystery Project??? No WiFi, Laser Range Finder is not in the new product area yet, where is the H2O ping???

I'm fed up! Im...I'm.. uh canceling my subscription to the Parallaxinan newsletter. There.. you don't get my money.Oh.. it's free?

:)

See ya Saturday morning.

Jim

Martin_H
09-16-2011, 01:28 AM
Ironically, his pants are on, and look pretty much like a guy in wrinkled jeans. I guess they blew their costume budget when they got down to the waistline. Is he wearings KEDs shoes, by any chance? :)

What's wrong with monsters wearing sneakers?

http://www.andrewlove.org/blog/blogpics09/afterglow5.jpg

To a young teen, bug eyed monsters run amok are scary, pants or no pants

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRGeDao2v31C2RRWIJ1ga6-lqgDlbtRUjGIPgpwHkrolGzVm5Nucg

Publison
09-16-2011, 01:31 AM
Ahh, my ex-wife....(Take your pick) :)

Oldbitcollector (Jeff)
09-17-2011, 01:36 AM

-Red Herring

So are those of us who know allowed to tell yet? Friday is only mere hours away now...

We don't serve their kind here!

OBC

Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)
09-17-2011, 01:43 AM
Friday is only mere hours away now...
It's been Friday here for more than 18 hours. What time zone are you in?

-Phil

Oldbitcollector (Jeff)
09-17-2011, 01:49 AM
DUH,, Don't mind me! I've been traipsing across NYC all day long.. Plane, Taxis, Buses, Subway, and Boatride have my internal clock all distorted today! So the big question is, will this mystery project still be unveiled at Maker Faire, or were we given a red herring? :)

Ravenkallen
09-17-2011, 01:53 AM
I just hope whatever the project is, is worth all the anticipation. OKAY, it is close to the unveiling. ONE more clue wouldn't kill you guys?:)

Oldbitcollector (Jeff)
09-17-2011, 01:57 AM
Bean got duck tape treatment, and I'm sworn to secrecy...

Guess we'll see an official announcement tomorrow. Maybe I'll grab a photo and post it.

OBC

Ravenkallen
09-17-2011, 02:00 AM
@OBC... You know what it is??? Oh, well. I guess i can wait until tomorrow. It's gotta be big to have the attention of the whole company?:)

Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)
09-17-2011, 02:19 AM
Bean got duck tape treatment, and I'm sworn to secrecy...
Hey, wait a minute! You're the one who started this stupid thread, and you've known all along what it is?!!

http://forums.parallax.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=85142&d=1316225933

-Phil

Oldbitcollector (Jeff)
09-17-2011, 02:40 AM
The levels of deception went further than you suspected! :) LOL

I didn't know when I started the thread...

Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)
09-17-2011, 03:29 AM
OBC, you were probably one of those kids who peeked in his parents' closet in the days leading up to Christmas -- am I right? :)

-Phil

Matt Gilliland
09-17-2011, 04:11 AM
The levels of deception went further than you suspected! LOL
I resemble...err, resent that remark ;-)

So, OBC what do you think? Will the "levels of deception" live up to the "mystery"?
-Matt

Ken Gracey
09-17-2011, 04:54 AM

So, OBC what do you think? Will the "levels of deception" live up to the "mystery"?
-Matt

You're supposed to be eating clam chowder and chomping big cinnamon rolls in Pismo Beach. What are you doing here anyway?

How are you going to unveil this mystery project? People are expecting personal jet packs, solar-powered UAVs and DIY nuclear power. .. and you're going to tell them that we now stock 1/4 watt resistors in any size they can imagine? Oh man, last time we give you the keys to the marketing office. If Bump were on the forums during weekends he'd probably slap you an infraction under the "new rules" but you're under the radar at least until Monday.

Ken Gracey

WBA Consulting
09-17-2011, 05:23 AM
I didn't know when I started the thread...

OBC, that's pretty funny how that worked out! I actually knew before it was a "mystery project" because I happened to be at Parallax to discuss a work-related project with Matt while others were "brainstorming on an idea for -------" in his office area. (I was asked to keep it to myself even at that stage)

I do hope that Matt was joking in the delay for the announcement. In my experience, delays for something of this magnitude can happen easily due to the amount of work, effort, and required collaboration necessary to make it all happen, but I hope that is not the case here.

Ttailspin
09-17-2011, 05:34 AM
Gee matt, If we knew you were coming to pismo, We might have cleared up some of this fog for you...
let's see what we can do tommorow, How about 70+ on the beach.. sound good?. Ok, we will set it up for you.
Oh and the good clam chowder is right down the street from the splash cafe, Pismo fish and chips. Right next to the bike rental store...

And it's about time I can get all my 1/4 watt resistors in one place now, great idea.. way ahead of it's time...

-Tommy

Matt Gilliland
09-17-2011, 06:05 AM
Oh and the good clam chowder is right down the street from the splash cafe, Pismo fish and chips.

Tommy -
I thought the best CC was @Splash?! We're having Clam Chowder in a Breadbowl @ 6:00pm, then taking it to the sand, and dine on the beach @ sunset...you're welcome to join us!

-Matt

Matt Gilliland
09-17-2011, 06:09 AM
Oh, and...

How are you going to unveil this mystery project?
Ken- I'm not. That's got to come from someone else -
it ain't gonna be me!
-Matt

Ttailspin
09-17-2011, 06:55 AM
Thanks Matt, sounds like fun,
My wife and I might just put the bicycles in the truck and ride the "Bob Jones trail" to Avila beach,
and afterwards, stop In Pismo for the sunset, and clam chowder bowls.
I might just get some brownie points from my wife...

-Tommy

Oldbitcollector (Jeff)
09-17-2011, 12:17 PM

-Matt

I think it will do that nicely.. :)

The city's central computer told you? R2D2, you know better than to trust a strange computer!

OBC

mindrobots
09-17-2011, 12:22 PM
Time to end this silly thread!!! The special day is here! I don't care if Maker Faire isn't awake yet.....let them find out when they awake!

Reveal! Reveal!!! It's time to let the secrecy die....

...unless the Mystery Project is "Open Source Secrets" - Fully documented and open secrets that tell you everything EXCEPT what the secret actually is!!

Maybe it's like Mr. Ping's Noodle Soup - the secret is there is no secret ingredient!!

Matt Gilliland
09-17-2011, 02:34 PM
So Ken!
Who's gonna spill the beans? The NY group? You? Lauren? Me? -

Make a decision Chief!

This charade has gone on long enough!

NO MORE SECRETS!

-Red Herring

mindrobots
09-17-2011, 02:35 PM
Eddie, the $999 robot platform is the "Mystery Project"???

http://www.parallax.com/Store/Robots/AllRobots/tabid/755/ProductID/775/List/0/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName,ProductName

Yikes! The economy must be good someplace...just not here...I know I can't afford one of those!

Thanks for playing!!

Matt Gilliland
09-17-2011, 02:38 PM
I see that you're both online right now!

My Marketing Mentor from years ago, once told me:

"Tell 'em what you're gonna tell 'em. Then, tell them. And then Tell 'em what you told 'em"

-Red Herring

GordonMcComb
09-17-2011, 03:28 PM
Regardless of this Mystery Project stuff, even at $999 Eddie represents one of the best values out there for an educational/research robot. It beats the price of just about everything else. Compared to, say, the Turtlebot (I'm sure a fine platform in its own right), Eddie is $400 less *AND* can haul a full-grown person around a room without breaking a sweat. I understand when Ken isn't around Parallax employees hold races around the parking lot. MattG is current champ, I'm told!

I'm jazzed Parallax is moving into this space, and jazzed even more with the possibilities of teaming up a Kinect and Dev Studio with just a robust platform.

-- Gordon

mindrobots
09-17-2011, 04:50 PM
Looks like Eddie has some face time over on Microsoft's Robot Developer Studio webpage.

http://www.microsoft.com/robotics/#Robots

Kinda cool.

It does looks like an awesome product.

Will the presumed new robot controller board be available?

Is it mostly just a peripheral to the laptop (talking the open USB protocol) at this point?

Does this mean there is support for programming Propellers in the new Robot Developer Studio??

Bump
09-17-2011, 04:52 PM
Yes, it was the Eddie: http://www.parallax.com/eddie
There will be a lot more noise about this development in the near future. We're all very excited to be moving in this direction with Microsoft, and I can't wait to see what people do with the Eddie once they've arrived and shipped off to their new homes. A lot of potential in the robot.

Browser
09-17-2011, 05:19 PM
ooh lookz nice. can command revolución from eddie platform. i see whol armie of catz on eddiez. look out dogz!

muss now send appeelz to simpathizerz for pesos. revoluciónes are complcated bizness.

-commandante browz

Ravenkallen
09-17-2011, 05:26 PM
Nice!!! I had a feeling it would be a Mid-range robotics platform:)...$999 is a little pricey for someone with my budget though. Anyways, i am still curious to see more info about it. Looks like it has a pretty powerful drive system? Enough to carry a human around?

RonP
09-17-2011, 05:38 PM
Looks like Microsoft® Robotics Developer Studio R4 requires Windows 7, I can't play. I have a Kinect laying around to.

EDIT:

Microsoft® Robotics Developer Studio R3 - "Supported Operating Systems: Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP"

GordonMcComb
09-17-2011, 05:42 PM
Enough to carry a human around?

Yes. See my post above.

Note to Microsoft (for their RDS page): It's not "differential drive." It's differential steering (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steering#Introduction). Cars use differential drive -- assuming they have a differential. Robots (and bulldozers and tanks and...) use differential steering. Whole world of difference in these two differentials.

-- Gordon

GordonMcComb
09-17-2011, 05:49 PM
Looks like Microsoft® Robotics Developer Studio requires Windows 7, I can't play. I have a Kinect laying around to.

RDS 4 does, but not 3, and the earlier versions are still available. Maybe you can use the earlier version without much loss of functionality. RDS has always suppored differentially *steered* robot platforms. They abstract to functions and expose those, and of course you can always create your own classes.

-- Gordon

RonP
09-17-2011, 05:54 PM
Thanks Gordon, I'll look into a compatible version.

EDIT:
It seems R3 is compatible with Vista. -"Supported Operating Systems: Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP"- Now I wonder if R3 has support for the Kinect?

-Ron

vanmunch
09-17-2011, 06:06 PM
Very cool! I can't wait to see more. Will the control board be available separately? I'm going to need more time to daydream, er, plan! :)

Publison
09-17-2011, 06:10 PM
Just returned from Maker Faire. First time and it was a lot of fun.

Got to meet the crew in person. An absolute joy to chat with. Only problem, the Inventor Wands didn't make it.

To see Eddie, you only had to walk thirty yards to the Microsoft tent. They had three units running in area. Each had different ways to control them. I was focused on the Kinect interface, so I didn't get to get into the other means of control, (too many kids driving the unit around) :)

The Kinect interface let you drive the robot around with arm movements, about a 45 second learning process for the driver.

I think Parallax and Microsoft did a great job, given, (what I was told), was a two month timeframe to get this out.

I'm glad Parallax products are again being supported by the Microsoft Robotics development after support for the BS2 went away a while ago.

I know Phil will not buy one. Requires .Net :)

Jim

Publison
09-17-2011, 06:13 PM
They have a Virtual Model in the RDS that reminds me of RobotBasic with a Sketchup look to it.

GordonMcComb
09-17-2011, 06:42 PM
The Kinect API probably requires Win7. There's a whole slew of sensing technologies natively supported by Win7, and not available in the earlier versions.

I have Win7 on a desktop machine, but my laptop is too underpowered for it, so it's still on XP. So on my Madeusa I use XP talking to a microcontroller that in turn does the low-level interfacing to the HB-25s and various sensors. I don't currently use RDS, but I do use Visual Studio for programming. The libraries I use are simple, and connect to the sub-controller via serial. The command string structure is my own, and not as refined as that in RDS, but workable.

To play with a Kinect I'd have to use my desktop, which is a large tower weighing about 35 pounds. Madeusa *can* cart it around, but the power cord keeps getting in the way.

-- Gordon

W9GFO
09-17-2011, 07:06 PM
Eddie is $400 less *AND* can haul a full-grown person around a room without breaking a sweat.

It uses the same platform as the MadeUSA. I really do not think that it can take the weight of even a partially grown human.

ypapelis
09-17-2011, 08:05 PM
Yes. See my post above.

Note to Microsoft (for their RDS page): It's not "differential drive." It's differential steering (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steering#Introduction). Cars use differential drive -- assuming they have a differential. Robots (and bulldozers and tanks and...) use differential steering. Whole world of difference in these two differentials.

-- Gordon

Gordon, I really,really hate to disagree with you and agree with MS, but "differential drive" is universally used in robotics to convey that kind of robot (two wheels driven independently, additional wheels to provide support but not affect direction). Differential steering maybe the correct grammar (not really sure about that) but differential drive is the term used most frequently and its meaning in this context is right on.

Roy Eltham
09-17-2011, 08:24 PM
It uses the same platform as the MadeUSA. I really do not think that it can take the weight of even a partially grown human.

At UPEW 2 years ago, I watched Ken ride around on top of the prototype plywood version of the MadeUSA. The Black platform version is at least as strong. The motors have no problem with the weight.

Roy Eltham
09-17-2011, 08:26 PM
What I want to know is will I be able to buy the parts to upgrade my MadeUSA to one of these?
Even if I need a new base disc, I already have the motors, casters, and pings.

W9GFO
09-17-2011, 08:50 PM
At UPEW 2 years ago, I watched Ken ride around on top of the prototype plywood version of the MadeUSA. The Black platform version is at least as strong. The motors have no problem with the weight.

I stand by my assertion that Eddie cannot carry around a human. You can prove me wrong with a video. :)

GordonMcComb
09-17-2011, 09:11 PM
Gordon, I really,really hate to disagree with you and agree with MS, but "differential drive" is universally used in robotics to convey that kind of robot (two wheels driven independently, additional wheels to provide support but not affect direction). Differential steering maybe the correct grammar (not really sure about that) but differential drive is the term used most frequently and its meaning in this context is right on.

"Differential drive" has never been correct, though over the years more and more people have misapplied the term. To defend the inaccurate use though would be like saying "imformation" is the correct word simply because some people actually think this is a real word!

Here's why differential drive it's not correct: what's of concern is the control of the platform/vehicle, and for something like a robot, that's always through its steering. All of the descriptors for various robotic control methods refer to its steering.

The "drive" is something separate, and lives its own life apart from the steering mechanism. This is from mechanical necessity. It can be direct drive, indirect drive, gear drive, hydraulic pump, and dozens of other things. Because one form of drive can be combined with any number of steering methods, the two are kept separate.

This isn't just my rule (I'm not really into rules) but an observation of decades-old terminology. A robot doesn't steer any differently than a tank or any other vehicle with the same wheel or tread arrangement. I think you'll find that the *textbook* term (at least the authoritative textbooks) have long used differential steering, even if some robot builders might have later misapplied the term.

I pointed to the relevant wikipedia page, which states it correctly. Their page for "differential drive" properly references a drive mechanism through a differential gear.

Your post sort of proves I'm probably battling a losing war, but what's at risk is loss of precision. When you think about it, "differential drive" is a meaningless term, because it could apply to any of several things -- drive, steering, what?

-- Gordon

Ken Gracey
09-17-2011, 09:12 PM
I stand by my assertion that Eddie cannot carry around a human. You can prove me wrong with a video. :)

Ahh, Rich, you're going to make us work! Here's the deal. My kids (same size as your kids) regularly sit on my Madeusa robots and drive them around the house using XBee. I've ridden one and so has Kevin. It's certainly not suggested to carry a 200-pounder and I'm sure the current draw is really high, but the motor mount and wheel kit will do the job. Again, totally impractical but entirely possible.

@Roy, we'll set you up as soon as possible. The control electronics are being manufactured this week. What I'm most excited about is that we've got a committed partner who sees value in what we offer with this robot and they're purchasing them for a contest. I realize that few of you will put PCs on robots, but Microsoft has a whole crowd of customers who will. There's a Propeller in the control system, too.

Ken Gracey

GordonMcComb
09-17-2011, 09:17 PM

Like Roy sez, it can handle a full grown man pretty well. Ken is taller than the average guy, at that. It has a mean acceleration curve, though, so wear a crash helmet.

-- Gordon

ajward
09-17-2011, 09:21 PM
I saw "This Island Earth" on TV 56's Creature Double Feature sometime during the late 70's or early 80's. This guy

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-_h7EVTpdem4/TaIecqjKuDI/AAAAAAAABNg/Wly8tOqbvE0/s1600/this-island-earth-mutant.jpg

scared the pants off me.

The movie that most scared me was "The Thing From Another Planet" with James Arness as the "space monster". It was months before I could sleep through the night!!!!!!!

Amanda