PDA

View Full Version : Spin and PASM in Visual Studio

John R.
11-17-2010, 05:08 PM
Hey gang:

Has anyone thought about creating a "Language Service" for Visual Studio that would support the Prop? For that matter, has anyone here created a Language Service for anything in Visual Studio?

The concept of playing in the same environment that I have to work it is attractive, and there are cretainly lots of features that could be implemented, either as part of the language service, or as macros, etc.

I've only looked into this far enough to see that it's possible. I have no idea how practicable it would be, or how easy/hard it would be to link into the tools to compile and download.

Does anyone besides me think this might be a useful tool?

John R.

Ale
11-17-2010, 05:15 PM
<sarcasm>Only you think that any m$ software could be useful :lol: :). Actually, I heard that it is the only worthwhile software from m$...</sarcasm>

btw: Having BST why do you need anything else ? :), seriously, The only somewhat weak link is the programming step. If it admits third party compilers and thus downloaders then either propellent.dll or bstc or homespun could be used. Have fun !
(I think that an eclipse plugin would be ways more useful due to the multiplatform capabilities).

John R.
11-17-2010, 05:23 PM
Guys (and gals), let's not start the "religious" war of MS vs non MS. Everyone has their own thoughts, and there is plenty of room for everyone.

Roy Eltham
11-17-2010, 05:41 PM
Like John R. I use Visual Studio for my job, and I am sure many others that read these forums use it too. I would love it if we had a Prop language service for it.

Also, I am getting sick of the constant and immediate anti Microsoft comments from people on these forums. This is not the place for it, and frankly, it is very unwelcoming. It probably turns away people that would otherwise participate here. I don't care if you hate Microsoft, or what alternative you prefer. Find another place to wage that war.

Heater.
11-17-2010, 06:04 PM
Nothing religious. Just practical.:)

Ale
11-17-2010, 06:08 PM
Sorry, I'll add a sarcasm tag now :)

Yoda
11-17-2010, 06:16 PM
I agree with Ale - has anyone thought about an eclipse plugin? Catalina could easily be adapted to eclipse as well - it would be nice to have a unified development environment. I use eclipse in my work so I would like the unification and that was what eclipse was originally designed for.

John R.
11-17-2010, 06:25 PM
Nothing religious. Just practical.:)

OK, as long as you insist, how about if all MS code in the world stopped running for an hour? How's that for freaking practical?

Get over it, MS is not the only option, but it is not the devil incarnate either. Let's knock it off, and get back on point.

In a more constructive vain, I find it interesting that most "MS People" (by choice or not) have respect and understanding for other platforms and that these platforms have a place. It seems the "non-Microsoft" folks seem to be the intollerant jerks.

As mentioned above (or below, depending on your viewing preferences), this forum is not the place for these wars. (This comment is directed at myself too...)

BACK ON POINT or SHUTUP!

Further ranting about one OS/Platform over another will result in me asking the moderators to lock and/or delete this thread.

John R.
11-17-2010, 06:30 PM
I agree with Ale - has anyone thought about an eclipse plugin? Catalina could easily be adapted to eclipse as well - it would be nice to have a unified development environment. I use eclipse in my work so I would like the unification and that was what eclipse was originally designed for.

This thread is about a Language Service for MS Studio, and is NOT indended to be a discussion of other alternatives.

Please start a separate thread if you wish to discuss the pros and cons of various development environments, or wage any other type of war!

And yes, Eclipse might be useful, but I, and others work in the MS Visual Studio (by choice or by necesity) in our "day jobs", and there may be an interest in being able to work in an environment comfortable to us, just as others may be more comfortable working in Lynux, Max OS, and working with Eclipse, BST or whatever.

Please keep this on topic.

icepuck
11-17-2010, 06:35 PM
A majority of people use only windows and therefore mostly MS software which is fine, but there is going to be a small number of people like myself who use more than one OS such as windows, linux, OS9.1, and OSX. Why?

Because If I find something I like chances are I'll have to use an OS the program was written for. It's not because I hate a popular OS, any OS will have faults if you look hard enough.

Just keep in mind that if you write a program people like there is going to someone that's going ask why didn't you use linux, macOS, or whatever.

If you use MS to write a program I'd like to see someone make a standalone prog that can be run in WINE in linux. One program could be run on two different OS's. I haven't figure that out with vb express yet.I'm not a very good programmer.

Let me be the first to say just go for it and lets see what you come up with.
-dan

Yoda
11-17-2010, 06:38 PM
This thread is about a Language Service for MS Studio, and is NOT indended to be a discussion of other alternatives.

Please start a separate thread if you wish to discuss the pros and cons of various development environments, or wage any other type of war!

And yes, Eclipse might be useful, but I, and others work in the MS Visual Studio (by choice or by necesity) in our "day jobs", and there may be an interest in being able to work in an environment comfortable to us, just as others may be more comfortable working in Lynux, Max OS, and working with Eclipse, BST or whatever.

Please keep this on topic.

Get a life - looking at beginning of thread there were other suggestions and I was responding to one of them - what a way to shutdown people on the forum

KaosKidd
11-17-2010, 06:59 PM
I own VS... had to for work, purchased it for 2005, and every version sense. Yes, it's got it's +'s & -'s but, for work, it works. It's a love/ hate and hate/love relationship. Knowing the product inside, outside, and very intimately (my ex wife claims I know it better then her body, and that's only because there's documentation with VS and none with her), having a language plug in for the SPIN / PASM would be an awesome language UP!

If we are talking about vaporware, then there's no point in continuing the conversation / thread (as noted by Yoda; an I agree with). If we are NOT talking about vaporware, the fact remains that some of us do, weather guided by either a higher or lower power, use M$ products. Some by choice, others forced, but in the end, we do use them.

My point of this posting: Has anyone put together the language extension for M$ VS (Visual Studio / VB or VC) ?

For the ones interested in making a go at it; here's a great source of information: Code Project (http://www.codeproject.com/KB/recipes/VSLanguageService.aspx)

KK

John R.
11-17-2010, 07:01 PM
Get a life - looking at beginning of thread there were other suggestions and I was responding to one of them - what a way to shutdown people on the forum

And taking a thread into a holy war of OS/Tools doesn't hack people off and turn them away. I thought I was farily polite, and just pointed out the topic of THIS thread, and invited anyone to start another thread on the merits of one of whatever vs another.

I am also sick and tired of seeing posts along the lines of "if it's MS it sucks" or "MS ruined my sdcard" followed by "no it didn't", or "it NEEDs to be in XXX and who cares about YYY".

I'M MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANY MORE!

If making this statment makes me an outcase, or kills this thread, then so be it. I am sick of seeing myself and others being made to feel like 2nd class citizens because of the choices we make. That feeling of discust applies to those for and against whatever your choice of bitching happens to be. (meaning for or against MS, Lynux or whatever)

John R.

jazzed
11-17-2010, 07:40 PM
Is it possible to make "IntelliSense" work with Spin? Having a way to get object constants and methods to pop up in the list would be useful. Edit and continue debugging would be nice.

Yoda
11-17-2010, 07:41 PM
I don't think replying to a comment in a thread is off topic and being told to go elsewhere because of it is just plain rude. This is an open forum as I recall.

John R.
11-17-2010, 07:47 PM
Is it possible to make "IntelliSense" work with Spin? Having a way to get object constants and methods to pop up in the list would be useful. Edit and continue debugging would be nice.

Yes, it is "possible" to make IntilliSense work, along with code completion, snippets, auto formatting, etc.

How much effort this takes is an unknown at this point.

The Concept of a "Language Service" is that the environment treats the "new language" as one of its own. The reality is that at least some of this needs to be coded. I haven't dug far enough down to find out how much is simply a list of key words and arguments, etc., and how much (if any) is writing a "character by caracter parser".

Roy Eltham
11-17-2010, 07:52 PM
KaosKidd,

Thanks for the link to that Code Project Article. I will be looking into this. If it's not too time consuming I might just make one for Spin/PASM. I've got a lot of projects on my plate right now, so I can't promise anything quickly.

I only have VS 2008 currently, so that is what I can make it work on. If I come up with a proper justification for purchasing VS 2010, then I will move up to it.

wjsteele
11-17-2010, 08:18 PM
Is it possible to make "IntelliSense" work with Spin?

Yes. Once the "language service" is written for Spin, it's a simple matter of defining the Schema for IntelliSense and telling VS to use it.

The hard part is that "language service" part. :-) That's where all the work is done to tell VS how to present, indent, highlight, colorcode, parse, etc. the Spin/PASM language constructs.

Bill

wjsteele
11-17-2010, 08:21 PM
I've got a lot of projects on my plate right now, so I can't promise anything quickly.

Roy,

Let me know if you need any help on this. I, too, don't have a lot of time but it is definetly something I'm interested in seeing/using.

Bill

4Alex
11-17-2010, 09:31 PM
@John R.:

I too find it somewhat puerile on some people to take pleasure at breaking sugar on MS back: without the incredible technical commitments of this company, personal computing (and probably general computing for a large part) would be nowhere near it is today. Without MS products, PC hobbists would still be in a dark cave, ecstatic at toggling 0 and 1 switches ;-)

As for your feeling of being treated as 2nd class, take heart: here's the latest poll (october 2010) on OS usage (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux). All in all, 83.14% of world users goes to MS. Not bad, its a very busy 2nd class indeed.

No wonder so many serious programmers, scientists and electronic engineers use MS products in their working environment: they've been there for 35 years. At the very fine tip of development, that is.

I'd love to see a language service for VS...

Just my two cents.

Cheers,

Alex

Ale
11-17-2010, 10:20 PM
4Alex:

You say it as if MS would have invented it all. Sorry, they constructed (bought other companies) in the shoulders of gigants. And we will never know what a future we would have without ms. They products are widely used because they are sold with computers. Most people do not know there is a choice, nor they were offered one. They got what was sold to them (you may say the same why people get iPods...).

The ones who know there is a choice sometimes use it and others can't because they are/were locked in because sadly there are no alternatives or the files are just not compatible.
And real software, runs on Unix (too) :).

4Alex
11-17-2010, 10:53 PM
@Ale:

I didn't implied that MS invented it all... but at more than 10k patents (http://www.networkworld.com/news/2009/021009-microsoft-patent.html?ap1=rcb) and 35 years in business with currently over 89k employees, they've certainly invented some!

Programming softwares are not bundled with OS: you must purchase them separately. BTW, it is interesting to see that Parallax chose to support the propeller on MS platform only... (granted BST addresses the rest).

Unix is nice but sooooo dry.

Cheers,

Alex

sylvie369
11-17-2010, 11:29 PM
How about everyone take a cue from Bill and Roy (above), and post responses to the question, and nothing more? I'll bet you guys can get this thread right back on track with just a little self-control.

Here's the original question:
Has anyone thought about creating a "Language Service" for Visual Studio that would support the Prop? For that matter, has anyone here created a Language Service for anything in Visual Studio?

If you're writing a post that includes comments that are either pro-MS or anti-MS, or about people who are pro- or anti-MS, how about you stop before clicking "Submit Reply", and go away for two minutes, and when you come back, ask yourself if it's really necessary to send what you've written?

I'm a fairly new Mod, and I haven't yet locked any threads, and I'd love to see that it can be possible to avoid having to. I'll bet you guys can all rise to the occasion. Prove me right.

Alternative way to put it: I'll bet you can show me that you're capable of behaving better than a politician does. Wouldn't it be embarrassing if you showed us that you can't?

Dr_Acula
11-18-2010, 12:01 AM
How does a language service work? What can it do and what can't it do?

For instance, I recently put together an IDE in vb.net for Catalina. A big part of that is not just processing the language, but also handling the download.

I found this "The Language Service Wizard allows you to define syntax highlighting, syntax checking, block commenting, brace matching, statement completion, and quick info for your language."

I've hand coded some of that into the Catalina IDE - eg the syntax highlighting in color. One could probably add a few lines of code to do brace matchnig and block commenting.

The equivalent of 'brace matching' in spin is those little arrows that appear. (These are not in BST, and I imagine they are a bit hard to code). I wonder if visual studio could do those?

Statement completion would be brilliant. I love that part of vb.net where once you have defined a variable, the IDE knows about that and helps complete that variable when you start typing its name. It could be very nice to have a list of all the PUBs like in .net.

Some syntax checking would be handy too - eg => vs >= and := vs =

This is a very intriguing idea. I think it is worth pursuing.

Cluso99
11-18-2010, 02:15 AM
I think it would be a great idea if it ran on VS express as that's the free version. However, I am not goig to fork out $ for it otherwise.

Is there any way that bst could be used under it?

The advantages I see, presuming this is what you mean, is in the intellisense sections where spin instructions are highlighted and options appear.

Heater.
11-18-2010, 02:33 AM
John R,

Ouch! that was a big slap for my fairly innocuous comment, complete with smiley attached.

Your question was:

Does anyone besides me think this might be a useful tool?

I did not realize that a negative answer was unacceptable. Please accept my apologies.

Ale
11-18-2010, 05:52 AM
Heater: they went ballistic at a small joke :(. I apologized already.

4Alex: MS bought plenty of patents.

Batang
11-18-2010, 10:56 AM
Some time back I was a regular of this forum and then after an absence I came back and the forum is new and my old handle is gone hence the new handle.

Anyway with that said I posted an IDE for spin etc that used the homespun compiler some time way back.

This development system required a license to use although it was free to use.

This is a single installer complete with IDE, Homespun and a loader.

If there is any interest in it still I will remove the license requirement and post a download link, likewise I will update it for the latest homespun compiler (if there is one).

The IDE does support intellisense although I never got around to implementing it for spin. I started to support Catalina which included an installer for both the IDE and Catalina but never finished it so maybe time allowing and interest shown I will add these into it.

BTW it requires DotNET 2.0 to run:) so no OMG MS again noise.

Some pictures included.

Cheers

Batang
11-18-2010, 11:58 AM
MS have a version of their IDE that you can use (free) and I started to implement my version of basic for the prop with it however at a 200 mb plus to install it is bloat ware.

For those who are interested in such things here are a few screen shots.

RockyD
11-18-2010, 05:52 PM
I have created an add-in for Visual Studio in the past. I have also worked on a language service team. Certainly, Visual Studio does offer much customization that would allow for spin and pasm to exist in Visual Studio just as well as its own languages.

The major problem I have with Visual Studio right now is there was a split from 2008 to 2010. Many things that were written in 2008 will not work in 2010. And stuff written for 2010 will not work in 2008.

I know many people still have 2005 and 2008. I myself still use 2008. I am not sure it would be worth it to develop a large project that will not work in 2010. Also, I am not sure enough people have 2010 to justify a large project there.

KaosKidd
11-18-2010, 07:02 PM
Due to the same reasons I have to maintain both installs on my workstation!
What bloat!

Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)
11-18-2010, 07:16 PM
As a practical matter, my inclination is to avoid dev tools that put an onus on the user of one's software to install something as huge and intrusive as .NET. I won't have .NET on my WinXP box, which means I won't use programs that require it. "The best apps are self-contained apps"TM, like the ones Parallax produces.

'Not ranting, 'just sayin'...

-Phil

Roy Eltham
11-18-2010, 07:43 PM
Phil,
No windows App is truly self contained. They all use at least 2-3 windows OS dlls. It's more a matter of how many dependencies you are willing to live with, than if you have any at all. Sure you could argue that stuff that comes with the OS doesn't count the same as stuff you need to install.

Well, .NET comes with Windows Vista and Windows 7, so it's not unreasonable to make an application that depends on .NET these days. Especially considering that the combined Vista and 7 installed base is fast approaching the point of overtaking the XP installed base. It's only a matter of a year or so.

Anyway, Batang's IDE looks really nice, I for one would like to try it out if he makes it license free.

I've looked a little into the Language Service stuff, and I talked with a friend that is in the process of making one for DirectX shaders. He says that you can make a Language Service that will work under both VS 2008 and VS 2010, it just may need a recompile. So it'll probably be two versions, but with a common source. I still plan to attempt something with it, but not until after some other things on my plate get farther along.

Cluso99
11-18-2010, 11:04 PM
I love the idea although I don't like the bloat.

I am still using XP on one laptop and Vista on the other. I would like to upgrade to W7 but the cost is half that of a new laptop with W7 included - makes no sense to me so I stay with what I have.

We now usually have the space (if we clear something out) to do the VS express or .NET install if there is an advantage and this would surely be one!

Batang
11-19-2010, 01:31 AM
Phil Pilgrim
As a practical matter, my inclination is to avoid dev tools that put an onus on the user of one's software to install something as huge and intrusive as .NET. I won't have .NET on my WinXP box, which means I won't use programs that require it.

But I bet you have Java installed on your WinXp box and what is .NET but MS answer to Java.

And cross platform Java based IDE's don't run in a vacuum, anyway .NET 2.0 a paltry 20 something megabyte download for WinXP ans as previously pointed out not required for Vista and above.

Cheers

Cluso99
11-19-2010, 04:20 AM
@4Alex: Sorry but that site is no legit. Checkout google for "crystal downloads legit" and look at microsofts website. It's in Russia :(

Roy Eltham
11-19-2010, 07:07 AM
@Cluso99,

This site is legit, and has Win7 Home Premium 64bit OEM for $99.99: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116754

They also have the Retail Upgrade version of the above for $109.99: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116713

Not sure where you are getting a laptop worth using that is only $220 bucks...

4Alex
11-19-2010, 02:50 PM
@Cluso99:

My apologies, I should have known better. It's a link that I had saved in my bookmarks. My initial lookup on Google didn't turned out anything but opinions & advices from know-it-all type of people. Nothing evidential. I looked up Adobe, MS, & Autodesk and have not seen any specific warnings or even entries in their respective website besides some comments in their forums with similar postings from know-it-all bloggers.

How did you found out that they are located in Russia?

Anyway, I'll edit my previous post to stay on the safer side.

With thanks.

Cheers,

Alex

*EDIT*
p.s.: I couldn't edit the previous posting properly so I deleted it with the mention "Dubious advice, probably unsafe - my mistake".

Heater.
11-19-2010, 03:03 PM
4Alex,

Under linux there is the "whois" command. Which gives us the following information about the owners of crystal-downloads.com

# whois crystal-downloads.com
Domain: crystal-downloads.com

DNS:
aa.linkedns.net
bb.linkedns.net

Created: 2010-07-13 23:42:46
Expires: 2011-07-13 23:42:46
Last Modified: 2010-07-13 23:42:46

Registrant Contact:
Oksana Bojko
Oksana Bojko (mud@freenetbox.ru)
ul.Pobedy d.3 kv.81
Stroitel, Belgorodskaya oblast, RU 309070
P: +7.4722213321 F: +7.4722213321

Administrative Contact:
Oksana Bojko
ul.Pobedy d.3 kv.81

Technical Contact:
Oksana Bojko
ul.Pobedy d.3 kv.81

Billing Contact:
Oksana Bojko
ul.Pobedy d.3 kv.81

It's also interesting to have at look at the street address they give in Connecticut with Google Street view. seems to be the home of Fidelity Investments.

John R.
11-19-2010, 06:08 PM
He said calmly, of the 39 posts to this point, I counted only 10 that specifically discussed the concept of a Language Service or other extension in Visual Studio, and maybe a another couple vaguely tied in about needing .NET or whatever.

How does a casual observer, who may have an interest in the topic of the thread find the meaningful content?

For those who replied on topic, thank you for the feedback, especially those who had some input on what is involved.

Like others, I am "intrigued" with the concept, but don't know where, or if, it fits in my schedule.

If anyone wants to continue a discussion on how to potentially persue this, please contact me via PM or e-mail.

John R.
11-19-2010, 06:17 PM
@Cluso99:

My apologies, I should have known better. It's a link that I had saved in my bookmarks. My initial lookup on Google didn't turned out anything but opinions & advices from know-it-all type of people. Nothing evidential. I looked up Adobe, MS, & Autodesk and have not seen any specific warnings or even entries in their respective website besides some comments in their forums with similar postings from know-it-all bloggers.

How did you found out that they are located in Russia?

Anyway, I'll edit my previous post to stay on the safer side.

With thanks.

Cheers,

Alex

*EDIT*
p.s.: I couldn't edit the previous posting properly so I deleted it with the mention "Dubious advice, probably unsafe - my mistake".

As long as we're this far off - the FAQ on the site is also a dead give-a-way. Statements like "no hardcopy like manuals and licenses...", (ya, who needs a license) and "you have to totally uninstall any prior versions and do a fresh install" (as in, if there are any hooks to a "real license" in the registry, you may have problems), and "don't call the software maker, call our crack support team" (don't let the original publisher know you have this software). These types of things, as well as totally rediculously low prices should raise more than a few red flags.

John R.

Cluso99
11-19-2010, 08:25 PM
It is a shame it went so far off-topic.

I think the concept and the work done already has great merit. I love the way VS can highlite the operators and the tooltips and intellisense features. It would make programming so much easier for the newbies.

John R.
11-19-2010, 08:37 PM
It is a shame it went so far off-topic.

I think the concept and the work done already has great merit. I love the way VS can highlite the operators and the tooltips and intellisense features. It would make programming so much easier for the newbies.

That's just the start. I believe that one could also easily port in things like conditional compiles, etc. and using tools from BST, etc., get the prop loaded, or at a minimum, output a clean "spin" file for use by other tools.

I'm just starting to dig into what a "Language Service" can do, and what it takes to do it.

John R.

jazzed
11-19-2010, 09:02 PM
That's just the start. I believe that one could also easily port in things like conditional compiles, etc. and using tools from BST, etc., get the prop loaded, or at a minimum, output a clean "spin" file for use by other tools.

I'm just starting to dig into what a "Language Service" can do, and what it takes to do it.

John R.

Why not just use the normal pre-processor that comes with Visual Studio?

I'm not trying to belittle BST and friends, but it lacks #include ..., #if ..., and #elseif ... statements .
The regular C preprocessor can be used with Propeller Tool today with {} on separate lines before and after these statements.

John R.
11-19-2010, 10:24 PM
Why not just use the normal pre-processor that comes with Visual Studio?

I'm not trying to belittle BST and friends, but it lacks #include ..., #if ..., and #elseif ... statements .
The regular C preprocessor can be used with Propeller Tool today with {} on separate lines before and after these statements.

I think we're on the same wave length. My thought was to use the built in tools for things like #include, #ifdef, etc., but use the BST tools (or portions of them) so that if you did something like an "F5" (debug) it (Visual Studio) would have the shell commands to compile the Spin/PASM code, download it to the Prop, and launch PST (or something). Maybe "BST" isn't the right set of tools, but something to take a Spin file and stuff it into a Prop...

Or are you thinking along the lines of forgoing the "Language Service" and just using Visual Studio "as is" to get a Spin file out and load it with the other tools?

John R.

jazzed
11-19-2010, 11:19 PM
I think we're on the same wave length. My thought was to use the built in tools for things like #include, #ifdef, etc., but use the BST tools (or portions of them) so that if you did something like an "F5" (debug) it (Visual Studio) would have the shell commands to compile the Spin/PASM code, download it to the Prop, and launch PST (or something). Maybe "BST" isn't the right set of tools, but something to take a Spin file and stuff it into a Prop...
I think BST/BSTC (BSTC specifically) is the right set of tools. The BSTC compiler is fast and it offers optimizations like trimming unused code, etc... The BSTC loader can operate in fast mode. A debugger is much easier to implement with BSTC's .list files. There are all kinds of reasons to use BSTC and I use it all the time with .... VIM (thank you Bill Joy!) :D

It's just that preprocessor support is not standard and customary. Not having #include is a crime when you need to have the same PASM code in multiple files. Both BSTC and homespun fail in this regard.

I really don't know about "language service" ... I'll let you and others deal with that. I do know that I like Visual Studio for development though. I use Linux mostly, but I've paid for and used the VS superior user interface many times before. I still use it on my netbook often.

Or are you thinking along the lines of forgoing the "Language Service" and just using Visual Studio "as is" to get a Spin file out and load it with the other tools?
I've already done this with Eclipse and it did not really add any value for me - Java on Eclipse is a completely different story with it's tight, productive integration. A fully integrated solution with "IntelliSense" and the customary debugger (minus recompile and patch at run time I guess) makes sense - anything else would probably be disappointing to me.

John R.
11-22-2010, 02:20 AM
In the "for what it's worth category, I have created a SourceForge for this project:

(http://sourceforge.net/projects/proplangservice/)
Prop Language Service for Visual Studio (http://sourceforge.net/projects/proplangservice/)

I don't know how much time I can devote to this, but we'll see what shakes down. If you're interested, stop on over.

John R.