View Full Version : Can a propeller read a MicroSD "HC" 4GB card?
12-28-2009, 10:51 AM
Howdy folks - just starting to dabble in SD card reading and was wondering what size card to get.
Will the propeller be able to read a 4gb High Capacity (HC) Micro SD card? I looked in OBEX but nothing is listed in sizes that I can see. If 4gb won't work, I assume 2GB will be okay?
12-28-2009, 11:02 AM
The 4GB will not work but 2GB works just fine. Nothing over 2GB will work with the fsrw SD driver.
Computers are microcontrolled.
Robots are microcontrolled.
I am microcontrolled.
But you·can·call me micro.
Want to·experiment with the SX or just put together a cool project?
SX Spinning light display· (http://www.gadgetgangster.com/find-a-project/56?projectnum=200)
My overstock is killing me.
PM me for absolutly FREE 8-pin Mini Din connectors.
12-28-2009, 11:07 AM
I am not an expert in this. Lonesock and Rokicki can elaborate better than me, and correct where necessary.
Cards up to 2GB can be formatted in FAT16 and can mostly be used without problems. The specification says the SPI mode that we use is optional for the microSD cards, although most reputable brands continue to have this mode. I have had no problems with SanDisk. There seems to be some fake cards around.
Cards over 2GB must be formatted with FAT32. fsrw (new version 25+) also works with FAT32, but only with the short filenames 8.3 as the longfilename use·is subject to patent by Microsoft. I understand you can reformat larger cards to FAT16 but lose anything above 2GB. I have not used any of these cards. Some cards over 2GB have faster access but I think this is irrelevant to the way we access them. I am unsure if there is any trend to dump the SPI mode compatibility.
Hope this helps.
fsrw link http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=824166
Links to other interesting threads:
· Home of the MultiBladeProps: TriBlade (http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=786418),·RamBlade (http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=849265),·SixBlade (http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=780033), website (http://bluemagic.biz/cluso.htm)
· Single Board Computer:·3 Propeller ICs·and a·TriBladeProp board (ZiCog Z80 Emulator) (http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=790917)
· Prop Tools under Development or Completed (Index) (http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=753439)
· Emulators: CPUs Z80 etc; Micros Altair etc;· Terminals·VT100 etc; (Index) (http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=778427) ZiCog (Z80) (http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=788511) , MoCog (6809) (http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=811043)
· Search the Propeller forums (http://search.parallax.com/search?site=parallax&client=parallax&output=xml_no_dtd&proxystylesheet=parallax&proxycustom=<HOME/>&ie=&oe=&lr=)·(uses advanced Google search)
My cruising website is: ·www.bluemagic.biz (http://www.bluemagic.biz)·· MultiBladeProp is: www.bluemagic.biz/cluso.htm (http://www.bluemagic.biz/cluso.htm)