View Full Version : Absolute Beginner Request Guidance.
12-28-2009, 10:46 AM
Good Evening All,··
···· I purchased a propeller starter kit one year ago.· I have the original propeller manual.· I also recently downloaded the propeller lab PDF from the Parallax website.· I read through this lab book and I tried a few examples out of sequence.· However, I notice a major difference in the level of ease of the basic stamp verses the propeller from the view point of an absolute beginner.· The basic stamp·provides a great book for beginners; I have the basic stamp too.· Is there a similar manual (propeller) available for beginners?· Basically, I'm looking for guidance with using the propeller board for robotics.· I have an assortment of sensors like·the PING sonar, MESMIC tilt sensor,·and IR detector.· I also want to·control non-Parallax servo motors.· Your advice will be greatly appreciated.· Thank you.·
12 blocks may be what you are looking for... 12blocks.com/ (http://12blocks.com/)
Powered by enthusiasm
12-28-2009, 12:22 PM
Firstly, welcome to the forum. You will get a lot of help here. If you have a problem with code, please post it all and describe what you are trying to achieve.
Use the "Post Reply" button which gives you a lot more posting options than the "Quick Reply" button. In there you will find a post code option that will keep the indentation.
Now to your question...
12-Blocks by Hanno is a very simple starting point (drag and drop predefined blocks of code)
Get the latest PropTool (1.2.7?) which downloads a lot more information files.
Bean has released a PropBasic which is designed to be transition program from the Basic Stamps to the Propeller (see last 2 pages of posts for this).
Links to other interesting threads:
· Home of the MultiBladeProps: TriBlade (http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=786418),·RamBlade (http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=849265),·SixBlade (http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=780033), website (http://bluemagic.biz/cluso.htm)
· Single Board Computer:·3 Propeller ICs·and a·TriBladeProp board (ZiCog Z80 Emulator) (http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=790917)
· Prop Tools under Development or Completed (Index) (http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=753439)
· Emulators: CPUs Z80 etc; Micros Altair etc;· Terminals·VT100 etc; (Index) (http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=778427) ZiCog (Z80) (http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=788511) , MoCog (6809) (http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=811043)
· Search the Propeller forums (http://search.parallax.com/search?site=parallax&client=parallax&output=xml_no_dtd&proxystylesheet=parallax&proxycustom=<HOME/>&ie=&oe=&lr=)·(uses advanced Google search)
My cruising website is: ·www.bluemagic.biz (http://www.bluemagic.biz)·· MultiBladeProp is: www.bluemagic.biz/cluso.htm (http://www.bluemagic.biz/cluso.htm)
12-28-2009, 01:56 PM
Welcome to the forums and the Propeller world! I'm sure you'll have lots of fun with your new hobby.
Thanks SRLM and Cluso for the references to 12Blocks- the easiest way to get started is to skim through the tutorial- it's here: http://12blocks.com/tutorial.pdf
I'm adding new content now, including driving continuous rotation servos and serial input/output. Any other requests?
Co-author of the official Propeller Guide- available at Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Customizing-Multicore-Propeller-Parallax/dp/0071664505)
Developer of ViewPort (http://hannoware.com/viewport), the premier visual debugger for the Propeller (read the review here (http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/article/ROBOT_ViewPort.pdf), thread here (http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=760083)),
12Blocks (http://12blocks.com), the block-based programming environment (thread here (http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=819680))
and PropScope (http://hannoware.com/propscope), the multi-function USB oscilloscope/function generator/logic analyzer
12-28-2009, 06:24 PM
Coming from a Basic Stamp background, my advice would be to download PropBASIC.
After ten minutes reading through the documentation, you will feel immediately 'at home' and productive!
T o n y
12-29-2009, 11:23 AM
Can you post the link to where the PropBASIC can be found· thanks
··Thanks for any·http://forums.parallax.com/images/smilies/idea.gif·that you may have and all of your time finding them http://forums.parallax.com/images/smilies/smile.gif
12-29-2009, 04:23 PM
Post Edited (StefanL38) : 12/29/2009 10:07:57 AM GMT