PDA

View Full Version : Open-sourced Propeller Windows IDE - very possible, but helpful?

Ken Gracey
12-12-2009, 04:09 AM
Hey all,

Providing you with some insight about what we're thinking of doing ahead of time with the Windows Prop IDE. Having spent the last couple of days researching various aspects of open source I now know less than when I started looking around. I'm not a programmer, nor am I experienced with open-source licenses, so you'll need to add a bit of your own interpretation to what we're going to propose. Chip and Jeff are busy doing other development work today, so you get me.

If we open-sourced our Windows Propeller IDE it would provide enough information to aid developers in creating some entirely new programming tools. This is what could be released under one of the Creative Commons licenses:

- Delphi code
- compiler assembly language source code
- Spin interpreter (posted somewhere in the forums already)
- Propellant library

That's the whole software side, well almost.

The Delphi code uses several licensed components from elsewhere, which may not have open license arrangements that allow us to redistribute them as source. We would identify those code segments and their purpose. This means that developers with the right Delphi tools wouldn't be able to produce a complete compiled IDE from our source download because they'd be missing components that we have no license to redistribute.

As Chip puts it, the compiler assembly language source code would also be "pretty complicated" to understand. Again, not sure how useful this would be either.

All Parallax would retain at this point would be the Propeller silicon, but enough code would be provided that creative developers would be able to create tools for even more obscure platforms, like a Blackberry or smart phone. Existing developers would have less reverse-engineering to achieve their tools and they would be able to call upon other forum members for help, too.

Such a release would have to entail a few "gotchas"m. First, Parallax wouldn't answer any questions about what has been released. At the moment we respond to every e-mail, but this effort couldn't include that kind of support. We would also not want to be obligated to review or use any IDE improvements that are created for our Windows Prop IDE. If we near this kind of support obligation we won't be able to release new Propellers or improvements to our own Windows Prop IDE. I can't emphasize the importance of this point. We're a small company.

This also introduces some risk for us in terms of the integrity of the whole product line from the newcomer's perspective. For example, if an improved Propeller Windows IDE collected up archives differently, or utilized different methods of compiling code, then our OBEX library may not work as intended with the variant IDE. Newcomers to the Propeller could be faced with the same kind of disgust we all know too well. We never want to sacrifice the functional simplicity that we offer today. In Parallax we hold disdain for tools (CAD, PCB layout, software development tools, whatever) that don't readily compile code, or that choke on file compatibility because of forced upgrades. Any engineer at Parallax who needs to configure a new PC takes weeks to get things straight again ($150/hr x 8 hrs x 16 days). We want nothing to do with these problems, nor do we want to partake in their existence. For example, our BS2 interpreter remains unchanged since 1995 except for some minor bits flipped for new versions of a PIC. Dozens of new Stamp IDEs were released in this period. We want our customers to have a positive, quickly-working experience without compatibility problems.

It would be our hope that a release as we are considering would aid the development of other tools. From our perspective this is the biggest reason to be more open.

We are still reviewing the various Creative Commons licenses to see which one suits us best.

Future versions of the Prop IDE would be released in the same way, too.

I'm not even certain that this kind of release would even be useful, but it's the casual request in the PropScope threads that caused me to look into it more deeply. If it helps Brad with BST then I consider it worthwhile, and especially useful if it enabled the creation of more tools and downloaders for other devices. For example, Tracy Allen made the "Stache" Field Programmer for the BASIC Stamp with similar information.

Hopefully answering the request for open source isn't akin to responding to common complaints that occur on forums just because something doesn't exist but somebody thinks it should - and it ultimately makes no difference to Parallax's business (or your business) - then we shouldn't bother with the effort.

I just want to try to give you a look into our thoughts on the idea. I'll count on all of you to make light of the topic and have a bit of fun with the idea. Poking fun is welcome! Feel free to be constructive and critical - I made this post to get your input. Please don't take this post as a promise to release.

Sincerely,

Ken Gracey
Parallax Inc.

P.S. I'll be traveling to Minn - St. Paul Sunday through Monday (a project all of you will appreciate) so this thread will bake without my attendance. I'll check in as time permits.

Post Edited (Ken Gracey (Parallax)) : 12/11/2009 8:28:42 PM GMT

Javalin
12-12-2009, 04:25 AM
Ken,

IMHO - don't give away the farm. You've done far enough by providing the propellent library - anybody can write a IDE to run with that.

James

rokicki
12-12-2009, 04:34 AM
I sort of concur. I think getting the ASM code released somewhere, to someone, where they could make a 100% work-alike in C, C++, Java, or some other language,
*might* be worth doing, but I'm not sure it needs to be fully open-sourced.

I think Parallax will be h ard-pressed to depend on someone else to develop the full IDE in a timely and bug-free fashion, and yet a huge part of the prop is just how easy
and intuitive the IDE is. (You can see I am already looking ahead to the Prop 2).

But a relatively small, clean, Propellant work-alike in C or Java or C++ would be an excellent starting point for others, who may over time integrate it into Eclipse or
build a hand-crafted GUI using fully open-source tools.

I recommend thinking carefully about the license, and choosing one that has stood the test of time. The Apache license is probably a good one to consider, allowing both
commercial use and non-commercial use.

I think released GUI/IDE code is probably not that useful, especially if it's encumbered by dependencies on non-open-source.

The problem I see is as the IDE is open sourced, people will develop extensions that the community will clamor for, and not having them in the default Parallax IDE
will fragment the community. We should strive for a model where enhancements can be fed back to Parallax (with full backwards compatibility maintained forever
of course), perhaps with a community vetting committee or period so Parallax doesn't spend forever dealing with controversial changes. I believe the dominant
such changes will be enhancements to Spin and/or the assembly compiler, and not affect the UI at all.

mctrivia
12-12-2009, 04:40 AM
Though I know delphi I avoid x86 assembly so it would not help me. Now a rewrite in java would be extremely helpful because it would be easy to port to different os including blackberry.

Now if you did publish the code I am sure someone would take the challenge to convert to java.

As for obex you would probably have to implement a 4th language option. Xpasm as more code would come out with optional tags that the current ide does not support.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
24 bit LCD Breakout Board now in. $21.99 has backlight driver and touch sensitive decoder. (http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=848975)

Nick McClick
12-12-2009, 05:10 AM
What hurts most is official Mac support - I haven't heard any complaints about the license, but plenty of people have turned away at the lack of Mac support. I wouldn't complain if you use a more 'open' license for the Propeller tool, but what will help me sell more Propellers most is supporting other OS'es.

It's okay if this helps 'unofficial' Mac support, but there needs to be a link on the Download page to a Mac client.

There's already better feedback in this thread, but that's my 2 cents.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Propeller Forums RSS Feed! (http://www.nicholasm.com/proprss/)

Gadget Gangster - Share your Electronic Projects (http://www.gadgetgangster.com)

Luis Digital
12-12-2009, 05:43 AM
Ken,

You made the question and provided the answer: Useful for improving or creating other tools.

As for support, simply add a note saying it is available as is and there is no official support.

Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)
12-12-2009, 05:47 AM
Ken,

OBEX compatibility is a major issue. I think you will end up requiring that all submissions to the OBEX have to work as advertised when compiled with the official Parallax IDE. This places an extra onus on tool developers, in that they will have to provide a converter that translates any language extensions back to vanilla Spin and assembly code. It also sustains the pressure on Chip and Jeff to provide the "official" IDE and language with the features that customers demand. (For this reason, I really hope there's no Prop III on the horizon, so they have time to address things like this. http://forums.parallax.com/images/smilies/smile.gif )

-Phil

BradC
12-12-2009, 06:15 AM
Javalin said...
IMHO - don't give away the farm. You've done far enough by providing the propellent library - anybody can write a IDE to run with that.

Err.. no. Anybody running Microsoft Windows can run an IDE with that. Those of us who don't use that particular operating system were still pretty much out in the cold.

Nick McClick said...
What hurts most is official Mac support - I haven't heard any complaints about the license, but plenty of people have turned away at the lack of Mac support. I wouldn't complain if you use a more 'open' license for the Propeller tool, but what will help me sell more Propellers most is supporting other OS'es.

It always saddens me to read comments like that...

rokicki said...
I think getting the ASM code released somewhere, to someone, where they could make a 100% work-alike in C, C++, Java, or some other language,
*might* be worth doing, but I'm not sure it needs to be fully open-sourced.

This is a key point. The compiler *is* a complex piece of code, and to follow it does kinda tie you in a knot. It's a wizard piece of programming though. Having the source available for a couple of people who would find it useful is a great idea. Even if not directly useful, it would be great reference documentation and it completes the picture started by the interpreter source.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got.

Ken Gracey
12-12-2009, 06:19 AM
@BradC. Me too regarding your second point. Ouch! Whack!

You can have whatever you need from us regardless of what we do for the whole customer base. If any of the stuff we mentioned above is helpful for BST, just ask me in the meantime.

Ken Gracey
Parallax Inc.

Nick McClick
12-12-2009, 07:10 AM
@BradC - I think BST is awesome and I always point people to it when they ask about mac support. Maybe a link to it on the downloads page (http://www.parallax.com/tabid/442/Default.aspx)?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Propeller Forums RSS Feed! (http://www.nicholasm.com/proprss/)

Gadget Gangster - Share your Electronic Projects (http://www.gadgetgangster.com)

Luis Digital
12-12-2009, 07:31 AM
Ken Gracey (Parallax) said...
@BradC. Me too regarding your second point. Ouch! Whack!

You can have whatever you need from us regardless of what we do for the whole customer base. If any of the stuff we mentioned above is helpful for BST, just ask me in the meantime.

Ken Gracey
Parallax Inc.

BST is not open source, if for some reason stopped developing the program, then it will work lost because no one can continue the work.

BradC
12-12-2009, 07:43 AM
Luis Digital said...

BST is not open source, if for some reason stopped developing the program, then it will work lost because no one can continue the work.

You are both right and not entirely correct on those points.

Yes, bst is currently closed source and will continue to be as long as I'm really enjoying developing it (or I get the code cleaned up to a point where I think its not a complete pile of spaghetti). I have always said that if, for some reason I no longer wish to, or cease to be able to support the code I would release it all for someone else to take up the baton.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Luis Digital
12-12-2009, 07:59 AM
Spaghetti?
Nobody is perfect, but you're a genius. Do not be afraid of her spaghetti. xD

Dr_Acula
12-12-2009, 08:34 AM
I'd have to agree with several previous posts suggesting careful consideration before making this open source.

Maybe I'll start with two real world practical examples and see where it leads:

1) The Zicog project with at least 4-5 people all working together but pushing in different directions at the same time. Rather than force people to use one set of code, a solution has been to use #ifdef commands to turn on and off code for different hardware. The Propeller IDE does not support #ifdef but BST does, so the Zicog is BST compatible but not compatible with the standard IDE. I'm not sure the Zicog would have been possible on the standard IDE?

2) Writing huge spin/pasm programs. Eg a 200k program. There are now a number of hardware platforms that have access to large memory chips. There is software that puts overlays in and out of cogs and stores the overlay data in hub memory, so there is no reason you can't put overlays in and out of hub memory and store the data in external ram. There are a number of ways to write a 200k binary that is self contained in the way it moves bits of itself in and out of hub ram. But to work on a propeller it would need to be split into a smaller bit that sits in eeprom and a larger bit that might be read from an sd card into ram. What would be very useful is to have an IDE that just has reams and reams of spin code, and you hit F11 and it sorts out the compilation in the background and makes it run. Right now that doesn't exist but it could if the source code was available.

Having said all that, I have some concerns about releasing too much code out into the wild. I'm thinking of the Picaxe story where we are starting to see 'clones' appearing. So far, those clones are not proving very popular as they have poor technical support, rather thin help manuals and no supportive forum. But clearly there are people who see a big enough market that they think it is worthwhile trying to clone a successful product.

I don't think you want to make it too easy for cloners. Right now the prop is harder to clone as you would have to copy both the silicon and the software. If you make the software open source, then it is just the silicon. I find it fascinating the story of how the East Germans and Russians cloned the Z80, and it is even more interesting discussing Z80 and CP/M projects with people who built these in Russia in the mid 1980s and who know the chip backwards but have never seen nor coded on a real Z80 chip. Bottom line is that silicon can be copied.

I'm wondering if there is another option?

If you put the zip of the source code on a website there will be some expert programmers who will download it and make it better. But there will also be some amateurs who download it, hack it a bit and risk splitting the language into a myriad of dialects. And it gives a free leg up to the cloners.

I think the people who could improve the code are already well known to the community. I'm wondering about only releasing the code to people who have proved their credentials in some way on this forum? They have shared code. They have given as much as they have taken. They have written code that others have said is well written and easy to understand.

I'd humbly suggest restricting distribution to just those people. I don't think that would be an onerous restriction as any/all the people keen to improve the IDE would already pass the test.

Even then, it still is worth thinking about preventing cloining. When I purchased a licence for Eagle PCB they asked me to fill in and sign a form to say I would not put the program on a file sharing website. They also said that the program contained a unique key and if they ever did find a copy on a bittorrent site they could track it back to me. I feel that is an entirely reasonable way to protect the IP and the jobs of all the people who work in that company (plus the ongoing improvements to the software) and all it cost from my end was my signature on a piece of paper and the cost of an international fax.

Even if you do release the source code, I wonder about having a tiny compiled program that is essential to compiling the code in some way and you keep that program secret and have some sort of unique number in that program that the end user is responsible for?

So, rather than releasing the entire source as open source, I wonder if you could consider an arrangement where you might have a small number of trusted people who have access to the source? These people might even have a commercial interest, eg I might put a post on the forum saying "who could code me xxx in their compiler for yy$". But at the same time those people are unlikely to give away their program or source.

Just thinking aloud here, but what would be the chances of a Prop III if you could buy a cloned propeller with free software on ebay for $2?

Of course, these are just my opinions and parallax can do what it wishes, but I'd very much support keeping this discussion going for a while before any decision is made.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
www.smarthome.viviti.com/propeller (http://www.smarthome.viviti.com/propeller)

Roy Eltham
12-12-2009, 08:45 AM
I think this is a good idea for you guys to pursue. The long term benefit derived from the community of people taking it and doing great things will be giant.
I would encourage you to pick as open or free a license as possible to allow people the freedom to make anything from it. However, I am strongly against GPL or it's variants. It's just to restrictive.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Check out the Propeller Wiki (http://propeller.wikispaces.com/)·and contribute if you can.

evanh
12-12-2009, 09:02 AM
Dr_Acula said...
I don't think you want to make it too easy for cloners. Right now the prop is harder to clone as you would have to copy both the silicon and the software. If you make the software open source, then it is just the silicon. I find it fascinating the story of how the East Germans and Russians cloned the Z80, and it is even more interesting discussing Z80 and CP/M projects with people who built these in Russia in the mid 1980s and who know the chip backwards but have never seen nor coded on a real Z80 chip. Bottom line is that silicon can be copied.

Your argument is flawed. The software is the easy part. What's more, they don't bother to work with source code, they just run the exact same binaries. That's why it's called a clone.

One can't expect to hold a monopoly on one design forever. Especially a popular one. Move forward.

mctrivia
12-12-2009, 09:05 AM
Dr_Acula I don't think the clone problem you mention is an issue for 2 reasons.

1) The IDE is free.
2) Most of ROM including the SPIN Interpreter is already known and available.

If you were willing to put the money in to cloning the silicon then you could just use the existing IDE and ROM data. It would be a hugely expensive pursuit to clone the prop and since the chip only costs $8 you would not be able to make much since you would have to sell the clone for at least half.

People have already started to try and reproduce the cogs on FPGAs for the fun of it but you will never get the energy efficiency, cost, and density on an FPGA as you will using the real prop.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
24 bit LCD Breakout Board now in. $21.99 has backlight driver and touch sensitive decoder. (http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=848975)

evanh
Regarding the Picaxe - they are paid to produce for the UK education market. Just because the Picaxe uses a similar BASIC to the Stamp doesn't make it a clone.

Chris_D
I can understand Parallax wanting to "open things up a bit" to allow other developers to create new products to enhance the Propeller.· It makes good business sense.· I own Viewport and find it to be of GREAT value while programming and debugging.· If other tools come along that can enhance productivity like Viewport, I like the idea of making it "open".·

I can easily see it turning into a great big ole can of worms too.· I have only been around here for 6 months or so and the one thing I found out very quickly is that all the Parallax people bend over backwards to help customers.· Turning off that "culture" for just the open source stuff is going to be very difficult to do - you guys (and gals?) are just too eager to help (which we all love).

Personally, I just don't get the people that buy Macs or Linux machines and are surprised when they find out that not all software titles are available fore their OS.· Most people would agree, Windows isn't great, what is great is the amount of software (and other products) that is available to run in Windows.· In the area of what we all do (programmers), you would think people would be smart enough to know that not all software is available for all operating systems.

Chris

evanh
12-12-2009, 09:13 AM
Chris_D said...
Personally, I just don't get the people that buy Macs or Linux machines and are surprised when they find out that not all software titles are available fore their OS. Most people would agree, Windows isn't great, what is great is the amount of software (and other products) that is available to run in Windows. In the area of what we all do (programmers), you would think people would be smart enough to know that not all software is available for all operating systems.

Surprised? No. Disappointed? Yes. Encouraging support? Absolutely. :)

Ken Gracey
12-12-2009, 09:41 AM
The father of the PICAxe is Clive Seager, and we've communicated in the past. Clive originally authored a BASIC Stamp 1 downloader for the UK's Acorn style machines, about ten years ago. Then (this is stretching my memory so I may be totally wrong in case I'm corrected), through the Technology Enhancement Program (TEP) funded by a UK supermarket chain he broadened his entire educational program, resulting in the PICAxe. Though we were part of his early experience in education, the PICAxe is his entire original work - nothing Parallax provided aided the development of that product.

Therefore, it is not an example of a BASIC Stamp variant that was introduced by Parallax being so IP-loose that our brains fell out. Not a clone. Not sure what "variant" means as used above.

Ken Gracey
Parallax Inc.

Cluso99
12-12-2009, 09:42 AM
I am going to consider my comments carefully before posting a proper reply. However, there are a few comments that I would like to say now.

Chip released the Interpreter source code. Hippy was the expert who unravelled much of the interpreter before this. Now we have the real interpreter, it has enabled us to see what the interpreter is actually doing. I have produced a version which runs about 20% faster, but in my later quest for speed introduced a bug(s). I found other things to do with the prop before completely debugging it - at the time it was a spin/pasm debugger to find the bug. This code is on the forum.

So, what I am saying, is that the release of the Interpreter code did not result in a plenthora of other versions. This code most likely aided Brad and Michael in their compilers. Certainly, their job would have been much simpler if the compiler code was available.

The other possibility I want you all to consider... Do we want "spin" on other hardware?
FOR: Makes the language more universal. AGAINST: Competition to the Propeller hardware.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Links to other interesting threads:

· Home of the MultiBladeProps: TriBlade (http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=786418),·RamBlade (http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=849265),·SixBlade (http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=780033), website (http://bluemagic.biz/cluso.htm)
· Single Board Computer:·3 Propeller ICs·and a·TriBladeProp board (ZiCog Z80 Emulator) (http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=790917)
· Prop Tools under Development or Completed (Index) (http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=753439)
· Emulators: CPUs Z80 etc; Micros Altair etc;· Terminals·VT100 etc; (Index) (http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=778427) ZiCog (Z80) (http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=788511) , MoCog (6809) (http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=811043)
· Search the Propeller forums (http://search.parallax.com/search?site=parallax&client=parallax&output=xml_no_dtd&proxystylesheet=parallax&proxycustom=<HOME/>&ie=&oe=&lr=)·(uses advanced Google search)
My cruising website is: ·www.bluemagic.biz (http://www.bluemagic.biz)·· MultiBladeProp is: www.bluemagic.biz/cluso.htm (http://www.bluemagic.biz/cluso.htm)

Michael O'Brien
12-12-2009, 09:57 AM
Ken,
Sounds like a very useful idea - a process and structure not to be taken lightly. Thank you for bringing it to our attention early in the process.
I really like Parallax - I hardly ever visit a physical electronics shop anymore, I really like the Propeller, and I really like the propeller IDE and Propellent and the way things currently are - however, in light of all the extensions by the developers you name in this post the product is expanding and could go in a lot of very interesting directions. I personally would be also interested in a Java platform port as the main open source project, sub-project or incubator project.

In the corporation i develop with we recently open sourced one layer in our Java SE/EE product lines in 2007 under the Eclipse EPL (http://www.eclipse.org/legal/epl-v10.html) - becoming committers to Eclipse. Just an idea but there is a very diverse ecosystem of projects at Eclipse (and Apache as well). The structure of projects is tree based, for example our product is part of the RT (runtime) project because it is an integration API as opposed to an IDE.
As Rokicki states, Eclipse is also a design-time IDE API that can be leveraged to do the heavy lifting for Linux or Windows system windowing API's - with the javax.comm API available for port communication.

Some open source software for hardware projects of interest

Another related open source hardware platform is the Sun Microsystems Sun Spot - although the kit is kind of expensive and it not currently available.
https://spots.dev.java.net/
http://www.sunspotworld.com/about.html

Note: of particular interest is the DSDP/DD/MultiContext project which involves support for debugging multiple cores.
DSDP: Device Software Development Platform - http://wiki.eclipse.org/DSDP
+-- Target Management (TM) 3.1.1 - http://download.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm/downloads/
+-- Tools for Mobile Linux (TmL) 0.3 - http://download.eclipse.org/dsdp/tml/downloads/
+-- Mobile Tools for Java (MTJ) 1.0 - http://download.eclipse.org/dsdp/mtj/downloads/
+-- DD: Device Debugging project 1.1 - http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/dd/
------+-- Spirit (target board discriptors) - ARM - http://wiki.eclipse.org/DSDP/DD/Spirit
------+-- MemoryView (IBM/Freescale/AMI) - http://wiki.eclipse.org/DSDP/DD/MemoryView
------+-- DisassemblyView - http://wiki.eclipse.org/DSDP/DD/DisassemblyView
------+-- DSF (Eclipse debugger integration) - http://wiki.eclipse.org/DSDP/DD/DSF
------+-- GDB/DSF debugger integration - http://wiki.eclipse.org/DSDP/DD/GDB
------+-- MultiContext (simultaneous debugging of multiple cores/threads) - http://wiki.eclipse.org/DSDP/DD/MultiContext

Virtual Prototyping Platform (VPP) - merged into DSDP above - sponsored by Xilinx
http://www.eclipse.org/proposals/vpp/

Just some points to assist/aide in your triage of the issues.
thank you
/michael

Post Edited (Michael O'Brien) : 12/12/2009 2:04:26 AM GMT

Kye
12-12-2009, 09:58 AM
More library drivers need to be written for the propeller chip, I've been helping out on that. And then in the summer of 2010 I will be coming out with something that might greatly boost sales hopefully if I can complete it by then...

Honestly, please provide support for multiple OSes, that would be great.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Nyamekye,

Post Edited (Kye) : 12/12/2009 4:02:17 PM GMT

W9GFO
12-12-2009, 10:35 AM
My feeling is that, if there is a choice, develop in such a way that the code could be ported to other platforms. Parallax could then share their code with anyone who convinces them that they will do good things with it (like BradC). Pretty much what Dr_Acula said eleven posts up.

Rich H

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
The Simple Servo Tester, a kit from Gadget Gangster. (http://www.gadgetgangster.com/206)

Mike Green
12-12-2009, 11:23 AM
Perhaps people should register for access to the source code. It's not enforcible, but at least people would have to click through a page with the rules on it. Registration could also provide access to a special forum for registered users only to share information. It would not be visited by Parallax personnel except for administrative purposes (like to deal with spam and spammers) and no technical questions would be answered by Parallax.

1) Parallax provides source code and other non-public documentation for informational and educational purposes only.

2) Parallax provides no support for use of the source code. In particular, people should not call tech support or post questions about the source code on the public forums.

3) Parallax provides no support for any binary form of the source code other than that provided by Parallax (because Parallax has no control over the compilation process or the run-time libraries used).

4) Anyone using the source code in a product should make it clear to their customers that Parallax does not provide support for the product.

The above would be included in the source files as part of the license.

People of course can ignore any of the above, but at least Parallax has a basis for refusing to provide support.

NetHog
12-12-2009, 12:05 PM
I think Mike has some good points here.

stevenmess2004
12-12-2009, 12:33 PM
I don't know that opening it up to everybody will really help that much. Probably the only people that would really benefit are people like Brad, ImageCraft and others that are working on compilers. It might be better to limit it to only them and then give them some support rather than opening it up to everyone and offering no support. That would probably give the most benefit to the entire community. For people who have only a casual interest in the compiler there is sphinx which runs on a prop that is probably more fun to play around with.

potatohead
12-12-2009, 01:41 PM
I agree with a covenant of some kind at this point.

There are too many variables, and the Propeller product is in it's life cycle prime right now.

These things are perfectly enforceable with an actual binding contract, not some click through, or sign up, if you agree kind of thing. Also, I think it's important to consider about licenses is the rights holder can issue whatever licenses they want to issue. It's a given that one size does not fit all, so don't do that.

Here's a contrary set of examples. (I too dislike the GPL, but am compelled to post this anyway because the GPL, if used at all, has some serious merits.)

So, author A produced something and licensed it under GPL, forcing all derivatives to be GPL also. That's the bad viral thing nobody likes.

A GPL community forms and integrates this work into the body of GPL code, and life is good for those guys, but....

Commercial efforts, seen as friendly and mutually beneficial, are hobbled by the requirement to GPL derivatives, customers are also hobbled by this.

The originator offers alternative licenses, for commercial use that permit derivatives, and does this for a fee. Could be a small fee, and an actual binding contract. Closed commercial products are released right along side the open GPL ones, and everybody is happy.

If control over what kinds of derivatives is desired, this is actually not a bad scenario. There will exist a pool of open code, and various solutions that are closed. Open innovations can compete with the closed ones, with the technology originator profiting in either case.

Either party may fork the code, and that can compete as well, with the open one always being open, and closed forks being open or not, as the technology originator sees fit as they are bound to honor license terms granted to licensees, but not themselves bound as they own the tech.

So, that's one scenario.

Another one might be to strike a covenant where code is open only for the purpose of mutually beneficial derivatives. This too should be done for a fee, maybe a small one, associated with a binding as in signature and witness contract. The license terms can be whatever makes sense, but for the right to redistribute source code, keeping the body of code in the family, so to speak.

One advantage of this scenario is it does leave an open license of some kind in the future. What the licensees pay for, and if desired only pay enough to make the contract solid, is access on their time frame, and some assurance of access. Those doing open development wait until such time as that becomes an option, and the kind of development will depend on the open license released. Frankly, the GPL has control advantages here too, but is not mandatory. The simple MIT license, time delayed to favor those aligned with Parallax and who share the same longer term interests would not be impacted at all, and see a significant advantage over others.

Where fear of clones is concerned, that's a reality no matter what license, if any, is issued and to whom. Enough exists right now to clone things, and even leverage the software that exists now. That boils down to simple risk / reward, like any security problem does. There is no absolute security, only risk / reward.

So then, the latter approach taken later in the product life cycle has clear advantages as the risk / reward is kept favorable to Parallax during the early time. Risk grows somewhat, but then a new product release largely mitigates that, and worst case, a successful clone will be one generation behind, which is always the best defense. Out innovate them.

Seeing as how Prop II is beginning to enter the field of view, this kind of thing makes sense.

In terms of code being written here in the public eye, the MIT license adds a hell of a lot of value to the Propeller. We all contribute, and we all get more out of it than we put in. (arguably, not literally as there are some where I'm not sure that's the case, and I'm not sure they care either...)

Where the core technology is concerned, I would be concerned about an open MIT release, because that does grant any and all comers permission to do as they will, with no real value in return for Parallax.

The real value is in complimentary efforts, and those can be done without a broad, shot gun style release. I would advocate GPL for that, as it is backed by organizations willing to enter court for infringements, and the only people with blanket permission are those also building open tools, meaning any innovations would be visible to all involved. That keeps any one party from taking over the source of the tech.

The MIT license does open the door for a successful entity to dominate with permission, and if it were me, I'm not sure I would want to do that, given there are lots of alternatives that get everybody taken care of, without seriously leaning that risk / reward ratio out of favor for Parallax. The more I think about the longer term ramifications, the less I like MIT, or Creative Commons for core code releases. Documentation, user authored objects, and other things make great sense, but not for the core code being discussed here.

Despite the scenarios I've outlined, the GPL turns a lot of people off, and for good reason! It's a fairly restrictive license in that the cost of use is an open product. Making it known that alternative licenses are on the table mitigates that, but only if people inquire. I would think it would be toxic for Parallax to be known as a GPL company.

So then, I would do a covenant style release to get the value chain moving for all interested parties, and defer a public code release until such time as there is little risk, say after Propeller II is in the middle of it's life cycle.*

*Despite Parallax offering an extremely long life cycle, I'm defining life cycle as the period between releases of future generations of the Propeller, not the actual consumption life cycle.

Also given the above, I would hold a planning summit of some kind where these alignments of interest can be sorted out for best overall licensing terms so that everybody experiences a very solid chance to succeed and actually profit from their efforts to build that value.

Summary: Don't just open it. Not yet, and not MIT.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Propeller Wiki: Share the coolness! (http://propeller.wikispaces.com/)
Chat in real time with other Propellerheads on IRC #propeller @ freenode.net (http://propeller.wikispaces.com/Join+us+on+IRC%21/)
Safety Tip: Life is as good as YOU think it is!

potatohead
12-12-2009, 01:49 PM
One other path is to create a semi-open pool to save on legal costs and to simplify the whole process.

Create the Parallax Public License, with terms and conditions such that derivatives are restricted to some sub-class of possible derivatives, and where they cannot be made completely open, MIT style.

Again, the MIT is always on the table, but not a requirement to do "open" development for the purpose of mutually adding value to the Propeller.

That's it for me, just wanted to put the idea of there not having to be just one license release for everyone always on the table for consideration here.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Chat in real time with other Propellerheads on IRC #propeller @ freenode.net (http://propeller.wikispaces.com/Join+us+on+IRC%21/)

SRLM
12-12-2009, 03:07 PM
I vote for not releasing the source code for the reasons that others have put much more eloquently (namely competing releases confusing the market.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Powered by enthusiasm

Clock Loop
12-12-2009, 04:11 PM
I'll be traveling to Minn - St. Paul Sunday through Monday.

Oh? Welcome to my town. Can I crawl into your suitcase and come out to parallax land? Its too cold here. Only thing I can think of on why you'd be coming to this frozen tundra is due to something Christmas related. They have elaborate Christmas light shows up here at various places... And a parallax product would be ideal for that. I'd like to shake your hand for being apart of such a great USA based company. If you meet anyone up here that needs someone familiar with the prop, bs2 and sx, I would love to help.

Plus who wouldn't want someone that can do this without a pcb and still maintain sanity:
http://forums.parallax.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=62967 LOL.

Its kind of odd you are in town the same weekend that I just started my project of teaching the youth using the propeller as an introduction to electronics, for free too. I am starting with a single young man so I can get my method down before I open it up to other young people.

I love the open source direction parallax is driving... keep it up.

heater
12-12-2009, 05:04 PM
Chris_D: "In the area of what we all do (programmers), you would think people would be smart enough to know that not all software is available for all operating systems."

That is an outrageous statement. It basically says that that people who have a desire to not use Windows are stupid.

I don't know what area you are working in but my observation is that it is precisely the programmers, as opposed to your average user, who are the ones to want to get away from Windows and Microsoft. The reasons for that seem to be very hard for "normal" people to grasp and run a lot deeper than "I like Linux better that Windows", or "Linux does not cost me anything". If it were just that trivial I would probably see it as you do.

I could now run on here with the usual of reasons: the Windows "lock in", the danger of dependence on a computing mono-culture, the restrictive licensing, the truly appalling business practices of Microsoft. The constant forced upgrade tax etc etc. The lack of control of your own computer. The impossibility of a community of computer users to collaborate in improving their OS... The technical merits or otherwise of Windows are actually quite low on the list of priorities here.

Clearly you are not in tune with those motivations yet. I recommend your reading about some of these motivations here www.gnu.org/gnu/thegnuproject.html (http://www.gnu.org/gnu/thegnuproject.html). It describes that happy playground that was computing before it was locked down and commercialized. And perhaps will show you why programmers would like to see a return to that situation.

Actually that linked story kind of describes the Propeller community here.

By the way the latest atrocity coming down the pipe from Microsoft seems to be twisting the arms the worlds hardware manufacturers to use a new exFAT for SD cards and such. With appropriate licensing such that people like Propeller heads won't be able to use it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
For me, the past is not over yet.

heater
12-12-2009, 05:33 PM
potatohead "So, author A produced something and licensed it under GPL, forcing all derivatives to be GPL also. That's the bad viral thing nobody likes."

What ?!

The GPL may not match up with you agenda as a software author, dealer or user but I would point out that many people like it. Rather than argue in general I will present a simple case.

My humble offering to the Propeller community is an emulation of a 8080/Z80 microprocessor. I'm quite happy for anyone anywhere to use that code for fun and even for profit. I'd like it be running around as source code so that anyone who has a mind to can fix it's bugs, optimize it, extend it, adapt it to different hardware etc etc. This openness benefits me. As you may have noticed with ZiCog that is exactly what has happened. It now runs on hardware configurations I could never have dreamed of. Has been improved by numerous suggestions and actual code from many people. It has grown up beyond my wildest dreams.

Now there is one thing I don't want. I don't want someone taking all that accumulated effort of many people and selling it for a profit as binary only, perhaps embedded in some funky device that needs a Z80. Unlikely to happen I admit but there it is.

So the GPL would suit my intentions with ZiCog perfectly.

Parallax has nothing to lose by putting the Prop tool out under the GPL. Competitors won't learn anything more form it than they can learn here already.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Roy Eltham
12-12-2009, 05:34 PM
heater, I think he was just saying that people like you are familiar with the situation enough that it shouldn't surprise you when stuff only has support for Windows or only OSX and Windows. I am never surprised when Windows and/or OSX are the only supported platforms for things. I can hope for support across more platforms, but I can understand the reasons why many companies don't do it.

I am not as anti-Windows as you seem to be (probably because my livelyhood depends on it, since I work on PC games). I use it as my main OS (Windows 7 64bit), but I do use OSX (G4 Mac sitting here next to this machine) and Linux for some things as well (I also fondly remember my AmigaOS days).

---

I think the best reason for Parallax to release this source code is to allow for the community to develop more and better support for different platforms. I think this up-side far outweighs any down-side people have expressed in other posts here.

Also, I don't really see a down side to someone making SPIN work on other chips/platforms. In fact, I would prefer it, then I could use one language for more stuff. Is it really a bad thing if someone made SPIN work on an AVR or PIC or <insert other MCU here>? The way I see it the thing that is Parallax's advantage is the Propeller chip itself. It's a unique architecture (as far as I know) and if people want the best chip to run their SPIN code on, I think that will be the Propeller until the "Prop 2" comes out.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Check out the Propeller Wiki (http://propeller.wikispaces.com/)·and contribute if you can.

Nick Mueller
12-12-2009, 05:36 PM
Mike Green said it clear what is necessary.
For Parallax to have not more work (except for putting the code somehwere):
There is only one official version that is supported by Parallax. And that is theirs.
It is enough to release the compiler, assembler, interpreter and the uploader. The code released is "as is", no questions answered, no service, nothing. They just keep it up to date with their version.

I do not think they are giving away too much. It will only help to support different OSes and IDEs and help spread the Propeller. I only see a win-win situation.

My 2 cents!
Nick

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Never use force, just go for a bigger hammer!

The DIY Digital-Readout for mills, lathes etc.:
YADRO (http://www.yadro.de)

Roy Eltham
12-12-2009, 05:43 PM
heater, the reason I dislike GPL is the part where anything it comes in contact with (my code added to it or using it) is forcibly GPL. Also, with my job I am forbidden to even look at GPL'd code that is in relation to anything I am working on, because it is too risky for our company to deal with it. It's quite common in the industry.

Of course, any code I write for the Propeller I will give away completely free. Fully public domain, because honestly I don't care how anyone cares to use it. If they make money from it, more power to them. This is just a hobby for me.

Also, honestly, you are the first person I have seen say that they liked GPL.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

mctrivia
12-12-2009, 05:46 PM
i see no situation where a product given away for free with no advertisments or restrictions of use should not be open source(under the right license). open source means you can take advantage of others code(if you chose to). and since your product is free with no chance of direct revenue there is no loss to you.

The biggest problem is much thought needs to be put into how to make the obex keep working. If Parallax makes a custom license that requires anyone writing an IDE using there code to comply to serten file and code format restrictions then the OBEX will keep on working. What we need to do now is think up how we can make the coding structure as diverse and flexable as possible while still allowing any compiler to compile the code correctly even if maybe not as optimized as it could be.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

BradC
12-12-2009, 05:52 PM
mctrivia said...

The biggest problem is much thought needs to be put into how to make the obex keep working. If Parallax makes a custom license that requires anyone writing an IDE using there code to comply to serten file and code format restrictions then the OBEX will keep on working. What we need to do now is think up how we can make the coding structure as diverse and flexable as possible while still allowing any compiler to compile the code correctly even if maybe not as optimized as it could be.

A custom license is a legal nightmare. A very simple rule should apply that will make it completely unambiguous. If it does not compile with the Parallax compiler, it's not welcome in the OBEX.

Your argument on open source falls down in several places. One of note would be if I happen to use some code in one of my freely published projects that I also shared with a commercial product. In this instance, giving away the source could constitute a risk to my intellectual property.

Roy, chalk me up as someone who likes the GPL also. I actually prefer the LGPL, but either is ok. The concept of you using my code is all fine and good, but I want a license that *forces* you to give me back any improvements you make to my code. In this instance, the LGPL with the binary linking exception used by the freepascal project is nice. I use their RTL code in bst. The three portions of it I've modified/improved I've fed back to the team, but I don't have to release the source to my software. It's a nice compromise.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Nick Mueller
12-12-2009, 05:57 PM
> What we need to do now is think up how we can make the coding structure as diverse and flexable as possible while still
> allowing any compiler to compile the code correctly even if maybe not as optimized as it could be

This is simply the task of the one who made the port. Time will show, users might spot problems, the community will help to fix them. This doesn't require any kind rules.

Darwin will help here. The IDE xy has problems that aren't fixed, so people will move to a better supported one.

Nick

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

mctrivia
12-12-2009, 06:13 PM
Nick Mueller the issue is mainly on how to handle compiler optimization.
i want to be able to write 1 code and use #if def like commands to customize to different platforms.

at present this would make the code not work on the ide but other compilers would understand.

if parallax could put in place something for example:

#ifdef A
//run code if macro A is defined parallax ide ignores it..
#endif
#ifpide
//parallax ide include this section
#endif

this would require parallax to make a change to there ide to at least recognize ifdef but only needs to utilize the ifpide. in this way code could be optomised but could still compile on parallax ide. Custom IDE could have a test with parallax option programmers could use to test it still works before submitting to obex.

I am not saying this is the best solution. I am saying this is the kind of things that need to be thought up and changed in the IDE before code can be released and not cause fracturing of OBEX.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

heater
12-12-2009, 06:25 PM
Roy Eltham: "I am never surprised when Windows and/or OSX are the only supported platforms for things"

In general I am not surprised either. Saddened but not surprised. Here I'm talking things like games, media players bla bla.

BUT in the world of engineering I am very surprised when a platform specific tool is the only way to make use of a particular product.

Don't get me wrong. I am not "anti Windows" as such. I am damn annoyed at the world constantly telling me that I HAVE to buy, install, learn, use, some product that I have no interest in just so that I can do something else that I do have an interest in. Especially when it is totally unnecessary for that dependence to exist.

Simple case, I wan to use a 5 dollar Propeller chip. What you saying? I have to go out and pay for such and such an OS which has nothing to do with that chip. Go through all the hassle of installing it on my machine and disrupt everything else I do here. Oh, what's that?, I can set up dual boot or get a second machine, thanks.

Roy again "the reason I dislike GPL is the part where anything it comes in contact with (my code added to it or using it) is forcibly GPL"

If you want to use someone's code you have to pay their price. If the price is to high don't use it, write your own. It's that simple. It's quite common for software to be written using others objects, libraries, widgets whatever. You pay the money, accept the restrictions, get the licence and everyone is happy.
It's the same with GPLed code. Except the price is is not monetary.
Why do you expect to be able to leech GPLed at no cost? If the cost is to high write your own or pay some else to do so.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Roy Eltham
12-12-2009, 06:29 PM
BradC, I guess the thing for me is that if I am willing to release the source code then I am willing for it to be completely free of any restrictions. If I want restrictions then I don't release the code, simple as that (this case is really rare for me).

If I could I would release all the code I have ever written for work as well. I think the benefits of open and free sharing of code without restrictions far outweigh the possible negatives. I would love it if people could learn from the graphics engine work I have done over the years. Sure there are people that would just take it and use it for their own projects (even claiming it as their own), but for every one of them their would likely be several others that gave credit and/or released improved versions or just gave constructive feedback that would allow me to improve future code. Realistically it would take considerable effort for someone to take just my source code and produce a final product (competing or otherwise), so I'm not really worried that much about that.

Anyway, I do understand the intent of GPL (and LGPL), I just don't agree with it's method. In my experience, one tends to get a lot more positive responses from asking verses demanding.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

heater
12-12-2009, 06:36 PM
Why not keep it simple:

1) Release the Prop Tool under the GPL or BSD or such licence.
2) Give that release a different name so as to ward off support calls.
2) Yet another custom Parallax licence just adds more complication and confusion to the mix.
3) Point any support queries about the open release to the forum here :)
3) Parallax is in the business of selling Propellers here, what happens to the Prop Tool code is not important. We want you busy working on Prop II :)
4) Except, that an open tool sucks in a bigger pool of customers for the Prop, especially after it has been enhanced by the community that might grow around it.
5) Don't worry about OBEX. What stops me posting code there now that does not work with the PropTool? The Prop community here that's what. If my new object were useful but incompatible there would soon be lots of shouting about it. All it needs is a comment or check box in OBEX where people can point out "Hey won't compile with PropTool"

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Roy Eltham
12-12-2009, 06:40 PM
heater, I do not "expect to be able to leech GPLed at no cost". I full respect the licenses use by anyone releasing code. In the case that they choose to use GPL, I simply do not look at or use their code.

I don't like to think of it as leeching, nor do I wish to steal anything from anyone. I just prefer that if someone is going to release their source code in hopes of getting the most people to use it and positively contribute that they not use GPL.

Also, I sympathize with your position on products only supporting Windows. However, what about from the other side? If I make a product and have limited resources but want to reach the largest market of people then it's probably a good idea for me to support Windows. Sure, in an ideal situation, enough resources are available to support more platforms, but often times that is not the case. It's usually not a case of them "telling you that you have to buy, install, learn, use, some product that you have no interest in", but more them providing the support that they can given their resources and reaching the largest market they can in the process.

Parallax is in a position where they are willing to release source code in order to allow the community to expand the supported platforms. I think this is a great thing.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

heater
12-12-2009, 07:06 PM
Roy, "If I make a product and have limited resources but want to reach the largest market of people then it's probably a good idea for me to support Windows"

Yes you are totally correct. That is why the entire worlds computing infrastructure is now held to ransom by a single corporation. A dependence on a single source is bad enough but for most of us it's a foreign single source. I just think that is an incredibly dumb situation for the world to be in.

Fortunately, thanks to people who have been thinking about this for a long time it is now possible for people like Parallax to create cross platform tools fairly easily.

One of the simplest ways to get cross platform for free is just to release your code and let the interested community take care of it.

As I say, Parallax wants to sell chips, so the IDE is just an overhead to that aim. So nothing to lose by opening it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Nick Mueller
12-12-2009, 07:18 PM
> i want to be able to write 1 code and use #if def like commands to customize to different platforms.

In my eyes, this also isn't a problem.
Just write "requires XYZ" in the description. The PropTool will fail to compile. With a bit of hand-fiddling the code, it should compile with the blessed IDE.
The good thing is: The better and more widely used IDE will win "the battle".

Looking at my cristal ball I see the following:
A few attempts to build a different IDE will be undertaken (or be continued). People see that tool-chain X is better than the PropTool (not meaning that bad) and Parallax will switch and take that IDE as blessed. You'll see, that will happen within one year. And its an advantage for both sides.
I see the Parallax people as being quite relaxed and open-minded about that subject. Give them the time to assimilate to that idea and I bet they will like it. As a lot of others will.

Of course there will be branches of that tool-chain. Like compilers for OS$whatever. But the mainstream IDE for Win/*NIX/Mac will be a single one that is completely open sourced and has a blessed branch at Parallax's site.

Nick

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

potatohead
12-12-2009, 07:33 PM
Heater, I need to be clear. You can go google me to vet this. Just PM me, and I'll hook you up with the details. Suffice it to say, you will find numerous writings of mine, some prominent, articulating the ideology of open code and why it matters.

I love the GPL, and I love it for the growing and always open body of code we have today. I understand the use value of that, I understand the political value of that.

Where pure matters of software are concerned, I have few hesitations using GPL software, and have written and contributed GPL software to that body of code. I did so gladly, moved by the very significant use value proposition I found in that body of code; namely, one gets more out than they put in!

This is not a software only matter. Hardware is a part of the mix. That makes things different, thus the "viral part nobody likes" A large fraction of products are closed because they are required to be closed at this time. As open grows, that will change, and when it does, less of this will be a worry. Now is simply not that time, that's all.

What I wrote above is from the perspective of basically, "If I were Parallax". And if I were Parallax, in this market, with these competitors, having my stuff made off-shore, I would absolutely give the risk inherent in that as much consideration as I would users. I don't think any of us would do anything less.

Simply put, there are business realities and families to be fed that warrant some caution as to when to open that code.

Assuming it's actually when, I would prefer the GPL, as all derivatives would then be open. I also prefer the different release, to protect those unable to make use of GPL code. Finally, I would do it, because commercial licenses can be issued right along side that GPL.

If Parallax wants to sell the most chips, they would be wise to have a closed path for those that need closed. Political realities dictate this. Ironically, a GPL release is the strongest one for this, because of the strength of the license, and the clear boundary between open and closed.

From their point of view, there are two markets. The growing open one, and a closed one, and they manage the closed one much like they do now, while the open one does what open ones do best!

Releasing under MIT, for example, allows somebody else to also serve the closed market, and that's a control issue I personally would be wary of, again given this industry and the nature of many players in it.

Before doing either, a limited release, under a valid and viable limited disclosure and redistribution contract is something I would do first, if nothing else, but to reward those who are able and willing to innovate now. Let that occur and build a more solid base before opening up. Should it not go well, no open release has occurred.

Should an open release occur, those who agreed to terms earlier could also then do open things with no worries, just like anyone else.

My reasons for this are:

1. Limit risk and maximize value early on. There is some really great potential that can occur now, without a wide open release, and that does not prohibit said release. This is a free card, in poker terms.

2. It is very important that Parallax remain the authority here, as it is their holistic design that is part of their value add to the product. Other efforts to expand on that are good, welcome, and I would argue necessary, but do not define the product in a primary way. This is a key business differentiator that needs to be protected. A nice chuck of what I do surrounds these kinds of issues, and I've seen that go badly before.

It is extremely important to preserve differentiators and leverage them to a high degree to remain sustainable, period.

3. If there is an open release, I oppose the MIT, because then the line between open and closed will be blurred, and that will empower competitors, who may or may not hold to Parallax standards and this has the potential to either empower a nefarious competitor, or dilute the brand differentiators as noted above.

GPL is actually best in that Parallax remains the authority, and the arbitrator between what is open and what is closed as their business needs demand over the longer term. Open adds the most value when it is open always, adding to the body of other open code, making that use value proposition stronger for all involved. In this way, open is a solid competetor, and that is necessary in this near mono-culture we live in.

I hope I'm clear enough on that.

Guys, I value open as much as anyone here. I also am acutely aware of the business realities for many in this industry and in the one I serve for my day job. Growing open is always good. Existing on only open is difficult. Closed is necessary, while open grows. The most potent tool for this is the GPL, not MIT or BSD style license, as both of those allow competing closed derivatives which dilute the authority of the originator who publishes under them. I believe that would be foolish for Parallax at this stage of the technology development cycle as a whole. (Prop, I, II, III and surrounding products)

Edit: Having better established the Propeller, the need for being the primary authority will diminish as a function of the ecosystem surrounding the chip grows. That's also my primary reason for risk limitation. Right now, I don't see that ecosystem as authoritative enough to check the cost of risk, it's that simple. A release under contract would actually grow that eco-system, keep risk low, and reward early adopters. That is the only reason for suggesting it, and I concur with Mike on this point, assuming he was thinking along similar lines.

From a business point of view, risk flat out equals dollars over time. The means and methods I outlined are structured to incrementally maximize potential mutual value propositions (prop + either product, or code product = more value than just prop + Parallax IDE), while limiting risk growth.

From an ideological point of view, I say "Hell yes! Open the thing, as once it's open, it's always open, and that is good".

I take the business perspective here because ideologically I would be gratified by a seriously open release of these things. It would be a shame to have made that statement, enjoyed the fruits of it, only to see it all die on the vine with either no future propellers, or significantly changed ones to recover from an unanticipated situation that required drastic means to recover from. When I am 20 years older, I hope to be building Propeller stuff for people, doing it on open tools, competing with and beating out closed alternatives and life would be good.

Getting there means managing risk, at least that's what I believe and what my life experience has shown me.

Finally, I take that perspective because not everyone in the discussion is, and that's just healthy, and because I have been treated so well, welcomed and encouraged on a level I find amazing. I sit here at my desk with these electronics I left so many years ago, using some tools shipped to me because I expressed interest, nothing more. I am compelled to give back my thoughts as best I can, giving that "family" the greatest consideration I can, and considering the business element must be a part of that. There is Parallax, who has been excellent and a mentor to me, and others a part of this community who have done the same. That has stellar, off the chart use value. Consideration due is consideration given, maybe that's how I can put it best.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (potatohead) : 12/12/2009 12:18:51 PM GMT

evanh
12-12-2009, 08:20 PM
Roy Eltham said...
Anyway, I do understand the intent of GPL (and LGPL), I just don't agree with it's method. In my experience, one tends to get a lot more positive responses from asking verses demanding.

GPL is a license to combat stealing as is every other license out there. All legal documents are effectively a demand backed by state law and enforcement.

Even the MIT License still demands credit be given. So, it defines stealing as not giving credit to the author.

Asking has no impact on those that are doing the stealing. And when they then use the stolen code for monopolistic purposes again those who are playing by the rules. Wouldn't that suck?

The GPL has a few benefits for those companies investing considerable resources into a GPL'd product. It is designed as a commercial level license. Treat it as such when comparing.

evanh
12-12-2009, 08:25 PM
Go easy on the "viral" insinuations too. As an example, any non-disclosure clause is also viral. You could say the viral part of the GPL is a compulsory disclosure clause. :P

potatohead
12-12-2009, 08:36 PM
Sorry to pick a nit, but it's infringement, not theft. This is not to say it's not as bad, maybe worse. Don't get me wrong there. It feels like theft too. Been there in the past, done that.

I only make this point because a significant contributor to the sorry state of our IP environment today is the sometimes contrived improper use of the worth theft in the discussion. This is often done to capitalize on the strong and ubiquitous negative connotation associated with theft, and out of simple ignorance, or to leverage simple ignorance in legislators of all people.

This can be mitigated by greater use of the correct term, infringement, and doing so will then better realize the elements of the debate as a whole, yielding us laws rendered to actually work for us in a way all can live with, instead of kludges we all struggle with.

The reality with these things is all about those who consume and distribute while not being entitled to do so. Nothing was stolen, as both those with entitlement, or who hold rights, still retain their rights and entitlements; therefore, no material element of theft exists, meaning a case for theft cannot be made. We have the word infringement for these matters, please use it.

I truly believe this matters in the end. Thanks! :)

Carry on.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (potatohead) : 12/12/2009 12:46:58 PM GMT

potatohead
12-12-2009, 08:37 PM
Agreed on "viral". This element of the license is a good thing in the end, but must be discussed. If I did more harm than good with "viral", I'm sorry and will always work to get better about it.

I think I've said my bit here too. Really I saw some elements not part of the discussion. They are now, and I'll sit back and watch how it all goes in the end.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (potatohead) : 12/12/2009 12:45:19 PM GMT

evanh
12-12-2009, 08:46 PM
potatohead said...
Ironically, a GPL release is the strongest one for this, because of the strength of the license, and the clear boundary between open and closed.

From their point of view, there are two markets. The growing open one, and a closed one, and they manage the closed one much like they do now, while the open one does what open ones do best!

Quote for emphasis. A well written posting all round.

evanh
12-12-2009, 08:50 PM
potatohead said...
Sorry to pick a nit, but it's infringement, not theft.

Cool, doing some insinuating myself. ;)

heater
12-12-2009, 09:14 PM
Potatohead: Looks like we are basically like minded on this topic:)

I can understand the need for closed software. It's a way to make money, write a program, sell it, profit. Open would kill that possibility instantly. If that is your business model then go for it. It will work, until some else creates a better program for cheaper (Word over WordPerfect say) or until the users community comes up with hits own solution.

My point is that Parallax is not in that business. In the case of the Prop selling chips is the business. I can't see how GPL'ing the IDE can hurt that business in any way.

They don't lose money when I use BST instead of the Prop Tool. They even gain because I buy chips that I may not have done if BST were not available.

They don't give away any Prop secrets to their competitors by opening the IDE.

What's the problem?

Well, you did mention that the Propeller product is not just the Propeller but the "holistic" value of the Propeller chip, the IDE, the OBEX, the support system, the forum (yes us), the documentation, the demo boards etc etc.

This is a very good point. The Prop product is not "just another chip". However again I don't see the problem with opening the IDE. Give the open release a really different name to distinguish it from the supported version and avoid trade mark issues. A really stupid name as is popular nowadays ("Iceweasel" for a web browser, jees).

That open IDE will take on a life of it's own out in the wild. Or not. What difference does it make? Someone might start hacking on it, others may join in. Then we have a divergent, perhaps incompatible tool. So what? It subtracts nothing from that "holistic" Propeller product. But it will encourage others to buy more Props.

I like it. Why? I want the Prop and it's future incarnations to be around for a long time to come. This seems an excellent way to allow it to spread and grow.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Roy Eltham
12-13-2009, 01:30 AM
This is the last thing I'll say about GPL. If it's released GPL, then I won't even look at it, let alone contribute to any tools using it, and I think that I could contribute positively. That is how strongly I feel the GPL is the wrong route to take to be open. I am pretty certain I am not alone in my dislike of GPL.
---

I am also, pretty certain that you guys are not thinking about all of the possible uses of this code. Uses that would quite likely be blocked or at least hindered by the GPL. Uses that could benefit Parallax where it counts, the sale of significant amounts of their hardware. Uses that are not even anything like an IDE or traditional compiler.

The PropTool is free, someone creating a competiting tool that they charge for just doesn't matter. Who's going to use that now when the free version is the one made by Parallax and has been out longer?

The only situation I see where releasing this code can hurt Parallax is if someone uses it to make some form of clone Propeller hardware, and realistically someone willing to do that won't really care about any license you throw on this source.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

hippy
12-13-2009, 02:42 AM
I'm with Roy and others; no GPL though Parallax haven't suggested that it would be GPL.

I personally hate GPL, I see it as a viral cancer, politically motivated and unreasonably restrictive. I don't see a problem with fully unrestricted licensing and others taking that, commercialising and profiting from it; it's not like access to the original is removed. Far better IMO that something useful is done with my code than it never being taken further for lack of resources or interest.

And let's be honest; very few will find the Parallax source code release really useful, and probably even less will set up in commercial competition ( I'd guess zero ). Bottom line is that if it doesn't adversely impact the existing business no harm is done. I believe Parallax are more than capable of making such a risk assessment.

Ken Gracey
12-13-2009, 04:13 AM
Many good points have been made and all of you are considerate to be concerned about the long-term welfare of your business, Parallax. <= how's that for open-source? We will have to become a 501(c)(3) non-profit when we're done giving everything away.

All fun aside, one motivating fear against an open-source release is that we could enable a competitor to develop a hardware product from our code. What if a competitor used our material to make their own "Propeller", then pursuing us under patent infringement over their new "multicore" patents? That's a dirty thing to do and probably not very likely.

On the other hand, establishing prior art is a strong reason to release since our legal policy is to defend ourselves and protect what we've engineered.

Whatever we do today should not cause us need to work more closely with lawyers in the future. While mentioning lawyers, a company with bad intentions or patent sharks should know that we're ready to fight for what's ours, just in case they're reading. . .we all know that a "well-trained" Silicon Valley legal team could bring Parallax or similar company to its knees paying legal fees. But we'll die on our feet before we live on our knees. I really shouldn't be thinking out loud on these forums.

I'm think that the IP protection rage with lawyers is waning a bit in the USA. It's bad for our economy, innovation and customers. Who really wants to base on product on intellectual property that was made available with an exclusion for commercial uses anyway? Bad guys do, probably in other countries. There's no stopping them, but there's also no need to help them.

Carry on, please, freely.

Ken Gracey
Parallax Inc.

Post Edited (Ken Gracey (Parallax)) : 12/12/2009 8:33:57 PM GMT

Clock Loop
12-13-2009, 04:32 AM
What if a competitor used our material to make their own "Propeller", then pursuing us under patent infringement over their new "multicore" patents?

The army of parallaxians here would take them down.
I have never used any product that had a following like parallax does.

heater
12-13-2009, 04:37 AM
Ken: "What if a competitor used our material to make their own "Propeller"

A valid concern.

I think there is enough published material on the Prop that it is quite possible for anyone keen enough to create a Propeller clone already. After all by necessity the instruction set, op-codes, memory capacity, timing info are published so that your users can get on with the device.

Copyright law does not stop anyone developing their own implementation. You don't have patents. Only trade mark law stops them calling it a Propeller.

There is one big hindrance to the cloning process and that is the Spin interpreter in the Props ROM. Cloning that is a violation of copyright and writing a clean room version might be very hard.

The fonts and tables in the ROM are probably protected by copyright.

Given that I would not worry about clones.

Is there really any information about the operation of the Propeller that a clone maker would need hidden in the source code of the Propeller Tool? Some how I think not.

By the way, it just occurred to me that perhaps Chips idea of putting a self hosting IDE in the Prop II ROMS is a damn good way of obtaining legal protection against cloners. It would clearly be copyrightable.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

mctrivia
12-13-2009, 04:38 AM
Ken Gracey said...
All fun aside, one motivating fear against an open-source release is that we could enable a competitor to develop a hardware product from our code.

I would not worry about someone using your code to make a hardware platform. There is already enough information about the propellers inner workings publicaly available that it would be fairly easy to duplicate the propeller. The only things stopping anyone from doing this are:

1) Startup cost to get a custom silicon chip made is very high.
2) The cost of the prop chips is very low
3) Reverse engineering a product is illegal

With these 3 things the reward for duplicating the prop is not worth the legal and financial risks. If someone wants to compete they are far better off to design from scratch a processer with similar layout but more memmory, more io, and more cogs. XMOS is probaby the closest thing there is to a competitor you have. It is faster, has more memmory, and more threads. But it is also more expensive, more complicated, uses more power, and has lass support. I will chose yours over any competitors so long as your company keeps its moto of "make it right the first time and support the comunity" and you do not fall to far behind in the MIPs and IO category. Prop II may be a year behind its time already but comunity, price, and perfection will make it a keeper.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

mctrivia
12-13-2009, 04:44 AM
Clock Loop said...

Quiet literally. I see an army of prop2 ICs all over the globe in parallel attacking the sights web sight. If my web server alone has the power to shut down must web sites until there firewall blocks me what would they do from an orchestrated attack of 10s of thousands of propellers all attacking in such a way as not to trigger firewall block outs.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

grahamreitz
12-13-2009, 04:50 AM
Thanks Ken!

This is an excellent discussion.

Consider:

1) What are Parallax's core competencies?

I suspect it's the hardware and not so much the software. The fact that some of the software was written in x86 assembly is brutal and unusual in tool development on a modern OS. It's also quite an achievement by today's standards. There also seems to be a culture at Parallax that is anti-software, unless it's yours. Yea, Windows does that to the educated, informed, and burned.

2) Share only what you need to.

As an interested tool developer it would be good to know all of the information required to write or port a compiler/linker/assembler to the Propeller platform without having to reverse engineer anything. It's not necessary to open source your code unless it provides algorithms or methods that are difficult to document or understand. Although, having source code is a good reference to start from.

It's fairly clear that there is a contingent of Propellerheads (myself included) that have no interest or desire to use or learn Spin. It's a great method to introduce newcomers to software development but for serious work it's less desirable due to its proprietary nature.

3) Multicore is the future

It's only a matter of time before your competitors start implementing them on their micros. Do it better and with more flexibility than they will offer.

This flexibility is already implicit in the Propeller's hardware design. Go the rest of the way to make it as easy as possible for engineers to port development tools to your hardware platform or write their own.

Respectfully,
graham

James Long
12-13-2009, 04:52 AM
Many good points have been made and all of you are considerate to be concerned about the long-term welfare of your business, Parallax. <= how's that for open-source? We will have to become a 501(c)(3) non-profit when we're done giving everything away.

All fun aside, one motivating fear against an open-source release is that we could enable a competitor to develop a hardware product from our code. What if a competitor used our material to make their own "Propeller", then pursuing us under patent infringement over their new "multicore" patents? That's a dirty thing to do and probably not very likely.

On the other hand, establishing prior art is a strong reason to release since our legal policy is to defend ourselves and protect what we've engineered.

Whatever we do today should not cause us need to work more closely with lawyers in the future. While mentioning lawyers, a company with bad intentions or patent sharks should know that we're ready to fight for what's ours, just in case they're reading. . .we all know that a "well-trained" Silicon Valley legal team could bring Parallax or similar company to its knees paying legal fees. But we'll die on our feet before we live on our knees. I really shouldn't be thinking out loud on these forums.

I'm actually starting to think that the IP protection rage with lawyers is actually waning a bit in our USA society. It's bad for our economy, innovation and customers. Who really wants to base on product on intellectual property that was made available with an exclusion for commercial uses anyway? Bad guys do, probably in other countries. There's no stopping them, but there's also no need to help them.

Carry on, please, freely.

Ken Gracey
Parallax Inc.

Ken,

Although you do make extremely focused and valid points, I do not think that is the main issue for me with open-source.

So far the Propeller community has worked well to define the Propeller with a multitude of functionality. Most of this based in a IDE which is tied to Windows. I am discouraged the IDE doesn't function on Mac's, even though I do not use or own one.

I am scared the open-source could possibly spread the "peanut butter" too thin. For example, if you end up with a vast array of IDE's (possible but not likely), where will the center focus group be? Sure many will still be here churning out great Objects from the Standard IDE, but many others may be diluting the effort with IDE's which are not inter-compatible.

If Parallax was the size of Microchip, the issue would be moot. But the Propellers success, unfortunately, is partially due to the restrictive nature of the programming (if it hadn't been, I would have elected to use a language that I knew). If 50% of the people making objects had been using a non-compatible IDE, then only 50% of the OBEX would be useful to each user(not in real terms, just an example).

I do understand that open-source adds some possibility to expand the success of the Propeller, but I also feel it may detract from the future success of the group effort (which is the Propeller's greatest asset, in my opinion).

I'm not sure the Propeller is mature enough for "open-source" status.

I personally think, it's not a bad idea, the timing is just not right.

This is only my opinion,

James L

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
James L
Partner/Designer
Lil Brother SMT Assembly Services (http://www.lil-brother.com)

Are you addicted to technology or Micro-controllers..... then checkout the forums at Savage Circuits (http://www.savagecircuits.com). Learn to build your own Gizmos!

potatohead
12-13-2009, 05:21 AM
@heater: Yes, absolutely it would, and that is one of the things I like about self-hosting, regarding this discussion.

@hippy: Understood, and agreed. My own experience here with the OBEX and sharing code to better ourselves is one where the GPL is toxic. I must highlight, given the context of my earlier contribution, the use value of the pool of GPL code and MIT, BSD, and even plain old Public Domain code is all high, and all share the property of you get more out than you put in, or it's at least possible to get more out than you put in.

For me then, it's the intent of the pool or body of code in question. With the OBEX, I prefer the MIT because the intent is to empower people to build things they either find useful, or profitable. Nobody cares if closed derivatives are produced from the OBEX, as that is the intent. That's all good, and I see clearly where the GPL is toxic. On the other hand, that pool isn't something necessary either. One can take it or leave it and be uninhibited either way, thus the threat of closed derivatives is an empty one, and it all just works.

Those proponents of the GPL, who do not want the threat of closed to be at issue, realize that necessary tech is a prime target of closed, and resent how it is so often used. Secondly, if open is to grow, it must do so without also feeding the closed pools of code, meaning the cost of open is to deny closed, and that's why GPL surrounds necessary tech. That pool of code is always open, and will grow unless every user denies that use value. This is as necessary as the tech is.

The code we are discussing here isn't strictly necessary, meaning there is a strong case for MIT. For us users, particularly those active here, the intentions are clear. People just want to add value and build stuff. That may or may not always be true, and with that comes risk for Parallax. A GPL release would marginalize that risk, and be strong should that risk come to pass, leaving Parallax in greater control over the product definition, while not inhibiting truly open efforts.

If somebody can't do that, for whatever reason, a non GPL license can be issued to that person, and that was the point of my post above as well. Being the originator of core enabling technology, Parallax is in a position where such management is necessary, if they are to manage risk, that is all.

A MIT release is essentially a blanket statement that Parallax doesn't care who does what with that code, as once released, that is exactly the result, whether they like it or not. The difference between that and GPL is the profit motive, and the need to be open. Those two check most reasons why somebody with nefarious intent would go down this road in the first place, where the MIT does not.

The burden then is sorting out whether or not Parallax could say that with impunity. Can they? Really?

I'm not convinced they can right now, at this time, thus my support for the GPL... Edit: or no release at this time, or a release under binding contract, where the well aligned interests are known to strengthen both parties as a whole.

@Ken: That's pretty funny actually!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (potatohead) : 12/12/2009 10:55:13 PM GMT

Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)
12-13-2009, 05:40 AM
James Long said...
...where will the center focus group be? ... If 50% of the people making objects had been using a non-compatible IDE, then only 50% of the OBEX would be useful to each user.

This is the point I tried to make earlier. The OBEX has to be the focus, and anything submitted to it has to be compatible with Parallax's official dev tools to avoid splintering. Someone may have to enforce this compatibility, too, as voluntary compliance could be an inadequate safeguard.
___

It's a tiny bit ironic that Parallax now finds itself in this potential position. Year's ago, they were on the other side of the fence, when they created their own assembler for Microchip's PIC processor and completely re-invented the mnemonics (thank goodness: the official mnemonics are hideous). As a consequence, programs written using the Parallax mnemonics, although easier to read, were incompatible with Microchip's own dev tools, and Microchip seemed to hold the new mnemonics in disdain (as experienced by my early tech support experiences with them). Since then, the mnemonics live on in Tech Tools' assembler, which was purchased from Parallax; and Microchip seems, more recently, to be granting them grudging acceptance. But still, any programs appearing in Microchip's code library and app notes use their own mnemonics, and that's the way it should be.

-Phil

James Long
12-13-2009, 05:50 AM
Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) said...
This is the point I tried to make earlier. The OBEX has to be the focus, and anything submitted to it has to be compatible with Parallax's official dev tools to avoid splintering. Someone may have to enforce this compatibility, too, as voluntary compliance could be an inadequate safeguard.
___

It's a tiny bit ironic....

Phil,

I did get your point, and was definitely agreeing with you.

I will keep my fingers crossed, and hope to see an outcome that sides with success.

James L

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
James L
Partner/Designer
Lil Brother SMT Assembly Services (http://www.lil-brother.com)

Are you addicted to technology or Micro-controllers..... then checkout the forums at Savage Circuits (http://www.savagecircuits.com). Learn to build your own Gizmos!

Luis Digital
12-13-2009, 06:18 AM
What are you afraid of?

Created languages incompatible with spin? That already exists (Basic, C, etc.).
Indeed, many are happy with the different versions of C, even have an official section on OBEX.

Other compilers / IDEs? That already exists.

Create a multi-core microcontroller? There existed before Propeller. And I see no reason to be afraid at this point, because the information was released long ago.

Gentlemen (and ladies?), new information just may help create or improve existing compilers.

SRLM
12-13-2009, 06:21 AM
ClockLoop said...

Sparkfun is going through a similar situation. As it appears now the "army of Sparktonians" seems to be ineffective. I sent an email on their behalf, but didn't get a reply...

www.sparkfun.com/commerce/news.php?id=300 (http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/news.php?id=300)

Sparkfun Followup News post said...

First off, we want to give a hearty "thank you" to all of you for your impressive display of support in the previous news post. Just as we are continually amazed by all the cool projects you guys/gals put together, we are also impressed by the amazing number of comments and the large amount of email support regarding the "cease and desist" letter we received.

We really do appreciate the support you have all offered - it's amazing to have such a committed community base and we are honored to have you on our side. If you'd like to help us, please email sparcinfo@sparc.org explaining the reasons why you believe SparkFun and SPARC International would not be confused. Please keep in mind there are people involved on both sides, and threatening emails will not help our cause.

To give you an update: we are at the beginning of what we assume will be a long legal battle. It is unfortunate, but this is why we have experienced legal counsel on staff. We are optimistic, but we are preparing for multiple outcomes. Our 'people' have talked to their 'people' and we just keeping doing what we do best - building, tinkering, and having fun. Nothing will change overnight and we will keep our customers and fans up-to-date as we hear it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔